PDA

View Full Version : Optima Batteries

surfer2001
05-10-2005, 07:37 AM
What kind is best for our boats? Where is the best place to purchase in Orange County, Havasu or Parker?

Cole Trickle
05-10-2005, 07:59 AM
Hey "Foul Ball"
Yellow or Blue Tops are the ones to go with.(Same thing just different posts)
Blue tops have the wing nut connection so you won't need new connectors.
I heard that Cost-Co has them for pretty cheap

phebus
05-10-2005, 08:04 AM
There are two types of blue tops. Blue top with black case= starting battery, blue top with grey case= deep cycle battery. Costco has the deep cycle blue tops for around $144.-

surfer2001
05-10-2005, 08:44 AM
You didn't specify if this was for an extensive audio application in your boat. If that's the case, don't waste your money on Optima, go get some Odysseys instead.
Starting, audio, & 1200 watt inverter, (for the blender) hee hee :D

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-10-2005, 08:58 AM
I am going on 3 years with my red top. I only use it for cranking. I had an Interstate battery before that weighed twice as much and took a dump after 2 years. My optima sat for 6 months with no trickle charger or anything on it and it cranked right up like it had just been used yesterday.
I personally am very happy with it. Even though I had to switch the terminals.....no biggie. I was told the deep cycle optimas do not work so well.
Omega

Essex502
05-10-2005, 09:04 AM
I am planning on a one 34M and one D34M for the new boat. The 34M is the starting version of the Blue Top and the D34M is the deep cycle version for all of the audio and accessories. Coupled with Trick Marine, Dana or Eddie holders (haven't decided yet).

rivercrazy
05-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I've had 3 Optima deep cycle blue tops going on their 4th full season. And I run my 2300 watt stereo pretty hard at times. They still perform like brand new.....

Tom Brown
05-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Coupled with Trick Marine, Dana or Eddie holders (haven't decided yet).
You might want to throw Cutting Edge Marine on your shopping list, as well. :cool:

HCS
05-10-2005, 11:42 AM
You might want to throw Cutting Edge Marine on your shopping list, as well. :cool:
What? And put one of those Nazi looking battery hold downs in your boat. :idea:

GLDI8HR
05-10-2005, 12:00 PM
What the differents between the red top and the blue top?

Essex502
05-10-2005, 12:15 PM
What? And put one of those Nazi looking battery holds down in your boat. :idea:
No Nazi memorabilia on my boat! :D

Essex502
05-10-2005, 12:17 PM
The Blue Tops are specifically intended for marine applications, I believe they offer a starting and deep cycle within the Blue Top family. The Red Top is a starting battery and the Yellow Top is a deep cycle, although I've failed to notice any appreciable difference between the two in actual application.
The Blue top starting battery is the 34M and the deep cycle is the D34M. The starting battery has a higher rated cranking power and the deep cycle has a longer rated reserve capacity. Supposedly they are manufactured differently as to internals.

GLDI8HR
05-10-2005, 12:18 PM
thax shockwavebob. I have one interstate can i buy one blue or do i have to run two blues?

Essex502
05-10-2005, 12:26 PM
thax shockwavebob. I have one interstate can i buy one blue or do i have to run two blues?
Not ShockwaveBOB but...Optima's website stated that if you charge both of the batteries simulaneously, then they need to be both Optima. If you isolate them then you should be okay mixing and matching.

Tom Brown
05-10-2005, 12:27 PM
What? And put one of those Nazi looking battery holds down in your boat. :idea:
Heil!
This looks pretty clean, to my eye. In fact, I think I'll pop for one. :)
http://www.riverratlife.net/dave/images/CuttingEdge/UniversalOptimaD34/DSC00001.JPG

Essex502
05-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Heil!
http://www.riverratlife.net/dave/images/CuttingEdge/UniversalOptimaD34/DSC00001.JPG
What's the other side look like?

rivercrazy
05-10-2005, 12:43 PM
The red top starting and blue top starting are the same battery inside. The only difference is the wing nut type connections on the blue top.
The yellow top and deep cycle blue top are the same battery inside. Again the only difference is the wing nut marine connections on the blue top.
I use deep cycle marine blues for starting duty as well as stereo and they are more than adquate to turn over my 496HO. To me there is no real advantage of going with starting battery setup IMHO

Tab
05-10-2005, 12:49 PM
So what is the concensus????? Blue top, blue top deep cycle or Odyssey? If odyssey is better for running the stereo are they worse in other ways? Where do you get Odyssey's and how much??????? Tab

Tom Brown
05-10-2005, 12:52 PM
What's the other side look like?
There's nothing on the other side other than the two vertical rods (that you can see in that pic) to hold up that side of the plate. There is just under 2 lbs of billet there so it's a pretty clean design. :)
I run a red top Optima but I don't have a stereo. If you grind down a bolt to just the right length, it looks far cleaner than studs and wing nuts, IMO. :cool:

BajaMike
05-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Costco has the best prices for Optima batteries.
:D :hammer2:

phebus
05-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Heil!
It is a very clean box, but I want a box with a step plate like Dave is making for the group 24 batteries, and he doesn't make a box for the Optima with one. I emailed him, as well as posted asking if he planned on making a box for the Optimas with a top plate, but never heard anything back.

HCS
05-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Costco has the best prices for Optima batteries.
:D :hammer2:
Do they sell battery hold downs? :D