PDA

View Full Version : Lake Tahoe Boating???

rivercrazy
05-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Anyone have a lot of experience taking a boating vacation there? Looking for some feedback (i.e. best month to go, places to visit, restuarants, boating experience, etc)

RiverToysJas
05-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Very Cold water, that's what I've heard.
RTJas :D

rivercrazy
05-10-2005, 10:45 AM
I've heard the water can be colder there than what comes out right below Hoover Dam. And that is REALLY cold...
But mid summer around the outsides of portions of the lake it can be 70.

supercrewjohn5x
05-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Anyone have a lot of experience taking a boating vacation there? Looking for some feedback (i.e. best month to go, places to visit, restuarants, boating experience, etc)
We go up there about every other year. Their are a couple of rest. on the water that have pretty good food( especially the coconut shrimp with a marmalade) and drinks. one on each side of the lake from the same owner if I am not mistaken. We have always gone up there around the 4th of July. The water is colder than Havasu but by the time you get to july it has warmed up some. We usually stay at the Marriot Timberlodge which are 2 bedroom timeshare condo's The lake is huge, and is not crowded and very clean( or at least it appears so). I know that around 4th their is a Poker Run that is called the Firecraker something or other that usually attracts some of the big nasties like Predator. :hammerhea Also, their will not be that many Lake Lice.. and you can do some wine tasting down in Placerville which is on your way up the hill...

NorCalCat
05-10-2005, 11:05 AM
we have a place up there. We do not drag the boat up there for several reasons. The lake is not a good boating lake. Cold water, I mean so cold you question you man hood after jumping in. The lake will be calm in the mornings, and then turn in 5 minutes to the roughes ocean you have ever seen. I have a 30' cat, and we still have problems. The lake is beautiful, so I guess there are tradeoffs. What side of the lake are you going to? There is several fun areas to go to. Sunnyside if fun and they make some great Bloody Marries. Richardsons is also fun, kinda on the south side.
Oh ya, mufflers! Otherwise you will get a few nice tickets in the mail. They don't even bother to stop you.

rivercrazy
05-10-2005, 11:08 AM
I was thinking about renting a house or condo in the Tahoe Keys on the south side. I hear running on the west side of the lake is generally OK except for when the wind really howls. Is that close to being true? I run a 25' 24 degree closed deck V bottom and it handles the rough well. But I know the wind can really turn Tahoe into a mess. Probably similar to Lake Mohave on a windy day.

Dribble
05-10-2005, 12:35 PM
I've heard the water can be colder there than what comes out right below Hoover Dam. And that is REALLY cold...
But mid summer around the outsides of portions of the lake it can be 70.
I've never seen the water above about 62 but it still is swimable. We've boated there in our 20.5 but not the 23 yet. Once I even saw an 18' jet out there on a fairly windy day. Just don't get caught in a small boat if the wind comes up. You can be 4 miles from the nearest shoreline in the middle.
The Keys always tries to get a seven day minumum. This is negotiable and if they have vacancies on short notice you can call the shots. The locals will boat in runabouts as small as 18'. They know the lake real well and can pretty well predict what the conditions will do.

spectras only
05-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Rivercrazy , pm SSTahoe [you know the guy with the nice chick in his avatar :D ] He lives there and has a nice Sonic .

NoCal NoBoat
05-10-2005, 01:12 PM
A long time ago, a friend and I rented a ski boat from the marina at the foot of Ski Run Boulevard. Being young, stupid, and unaware of our mortality, we
went WOT right into the middle of the lake.
Just like Dribble said, we got about four miles into the trip and decided we better turn around. Spent the next couple of hours in the biggest white caps I've ever seen in a lake. Maybe three-four ??? but felt like six...
September, 2004, got married at Harvey's. Next day, we went to the same marina, and took the 4:00 pm trip on the "Tahoe Thunder" cat. Captain said it was relatively calm for the late afternoon. Lots of big boats crossing from Emerald Bay to Stateline for the Labor Day fireworks. With 11 passengers in the boat, we still got some good air on our way back to the dock.
Nice experience for my first ride in a cat...Big heavy boat works better during Tahoe afternoons...

Moe_Havi
05-10-2005, 01:20 PM
I don't know about Tahoe but I doubt very much the water is as cold as below the hoover. I do know that the temp at Willow Beach runs a constant 53 degrees and that straightens you right out.

rivercrazy
05-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Can you say Turtle? LOL! :supp:

Dribble
05-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Water Temperature: The upper 12 feet of the lake can warm to 68
degrees Fahrenheit in the summer. Below 700 feet and in the winter,
the temperature remains a constant 39 degrees Fahrenheit.
Volume: Lake Tahoe holds an estimated 122,000,000 acre feet of water
or 39,750,000,000,000 gallons; Yes 39.75 trillion gallons! That's
enough to cover the entire state of California with 14 inches of water.
The water that evaporates from Lake Tahoe each day is enough to supply
3,500,000 people with water that day.
Depth: The average depth of Lake Tahoe is 989 feet. The deepest point
is 1,645 feet. It is the third deepest lake in North America. The
U.S. Bureau of Reclamation controls the top 6.1 feet of the lake as a
reservoir.
Purity: The water in Lake Tahoe is 99.9% pure, about the same as
distilled water. It is so clear that a dinner plate can be seen 75
feet below the surface.
Climate: The sun shines at Lake Tahoe during more than 84% of the year
or over 307 days. The average temperature in January ranges from 18 to
36 degrees. Direct sunlight can raise the reading to nearly 100
degrees. Except for periods of heavy snowfall, the climate is dry. In
July, the average daytime high temperature is 78 degrees with little or
no humidity.

RidinRed
05-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Here is a link of what you might experiance out there. I think the fore-mentioned advice would be well taken. I have never boated outside of a couple of small coves but have spent alot of time up there and yes the weather does change quickly. I have family that lives there and they have made a habit of sailing it on afternoons in a 21' +-.
http://www.nordicpowerboats.com/customer_gal4.htm

Kindsvater Flat
05-10-2005, 11:06 PM
And you can't miss this.
The Bird (http://www.tahoecountry.com/woodies/thunderbird/)
And if you get the chance see who is living in our old house at 3195 Edgewater Dr in Dollar Point on the north shore :D We sold it back in the early 90's because none of us liked going up there anymore.

RidinRed
05-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Beautiful boat, thnx. Also, you may now when i do not but, they have the annual Wooden boat regatta there too. What a site that is.

ROZ
05-10-2005, 11:58 PM
RC, You need to PM SSTahoe or MissSSTahoe. They live about 20min.s from Tahoe and boat there often...
That water out there don't look so rough...Don't look so cold either :eek:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/326DSC02337.JPG

BarryMac
05-11-2005, 06:21 AM
Growing up there I can tell you that the water is colder than a witches tit in a brass bra. You will be fine in a 21'er but just as everyone else has said the lake can turn from a beauty into a real bitch in the matter of seconds. On the North Shore you can Launch from Sand Harbor, it is a good public ramp with a pretty decent sized beach, yhis is just Soyuth of Incline Village. The TRPA (Tahoe Regonal Planning Agency )has done a lot of work in the area to clean the lake back up, when I grew up there Tahoe was one of the 10 cleanest lakes in the World, as Lake Lice and Two stroke outboards became more popular the lakes cleanliness began to deminish, since then they have outlawed two stroke engines of any kind. If your motor isn't EFI you will lose some power, the elevation hurts carburated motors, you may lose 15 - 20% of your power, just an FYI. Have a great time, Tahoe is absolutely Beautiful

Dribble
05-11-2005, 06:55 AM
Emerald Bay 2001
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/365cus10000.jpg

rivercrazy
05-11-2005, 07:54 AM
Those are awesome pics!
If we did make a vacation run up there, we would stay in the Tahoe Keys and make morning runs mostly and be back in the Keys hopefully before the winds come up. Or dive into Emerald and hang for day there. Its such a awesome place its hard to not imagine boating there during the summer in some capacity.

Dribble
05-11-2005, 09:42 AM
I took once took the boat in the above pic from Sand Harbor to Tahoe Keys (about 20 miles) at 3 in the afternoon. It was rough but not real bad. Make sure you go to a place on the east shore called Skunk Harbor. Boat or hike in only. It's just about a half mile south of the nude beach. Your 25 Tremor should do just fine out there. If the weather is warm swimming should be great.
Skunk Harbor.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/365DCP_0080.jpg

Froggystyle
05-11-2005, 09:54 AM
The gent who owns the second Revolution is berthing it at Tahoe. He has a lakefront house with a boathouse and dock. Depending on when you go up there you can swing by and check out the boat sitting there!
One really nice thing about the stock twin turbos and EFI... boost normalization for altitude. He should get 100% of sea-level power.

RiverToysJas
05-11-2005, 09:56 AM
One really nice thing about the stock twin turbos and EFI... boost normalization for altitude. He should get 100% of sea-level power.
That genius at Trident thought of everything!!! :) ;)
RTJas :D

unleashed
05-11-2005, 10:15 AM
The gent who owns the second Revolution is berthing it at Tahoe. He has a lakefront house with a boathouse and dock. Depending on when you go up there you can swing by and check out the boat sitting there!
Im looking to go sometime in July. I'd like to see that Deck boat up close. Let me know if its done by then.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

rivercrazy
05-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Were thinking July or August as well. That would be awesome if I saw the Revolution up there.
Going the turbo route now Wes? Is that Tahoe boat dual jet drive or outdrive.

Froggystyle
05-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Were thinking July or August as well. That would be awesome if I saw the Revolution up there.
Going the turbo route now Wes? Is that Tahoe boat dual jet drive or outdrive.
All are jet drives so far. I don't see building an outdrive once someone feels this boat with a jet.
It will definitely be up there by August. Probably by July in fact. We get to use it for a while first, but then it will go up there.

Froggystyle
05-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Im looking to go sometime in July. I'd like to see that Deck boat up close. Let me know if its done by then.
Deano
Come down anytime for a peek Deano. We are pretty local.
Boat should be wet soon. I pick up the turbos on Friday from Brummett.

unleashed
05-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Come down anytime for a peek Deano. We are pretty local.
Boat should be wet soon. I pick up the turbos on Friday from Brummett.
That sounds like an ideal. I'll call you when I have some free time...Im assuming you're in the San Diego area??
Deano

SSTahoe
05-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Lake Tahoe is one of the best lakes for boating!! It is soo nice up there in the summer, Yes it is cold but very beautiful place. Yes the water does get rough during the summer months but not big at all unless you go out during a storm I have been out on buddies 29 Fountain and have had the waves crash over the boat!!! Yes I was scared. I have a 12,000sq.ft shop 15 minutes from the lake so if any fellow ***boater come up and visit the area and do not want there boat out at night let me know and I help you out for some short term (weekend ) storage plus I would like to meet a few fellow ***boaters!

SSTahoe
05-12-2005, 07:31 AM
here a couple pics
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2151lake_tahoe_view2.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2151lake_tahoe_ski.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2151lake_tahoe_nite.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2151lake_tahoe_view2.jpg

SSTahoe
05-12-2005, 07:33 AM
www.Tahoe.com
www.pokerrunswest.com
www.Tahoesbest.com

SSTahoe
05-12-2005, 07:41 AM
here are some more. The weather is very nice up here it is going to be 80 today!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2151LT1D_Lake.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2151LT1L_July4th.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2151master03.jpg

Dave C
05-12-2005, 07:45 AM
hey some of those pictures are photochops... where are the whitecaps. ;)
South Lake Tahoe is a great place to go and cruise around. If you stay around the shore line its usually not a problem. If the wind comes up, head for shore. A lot of the time the lake is very calm, just cold.
SSTAHOE: where, would you say, is the best place to lauch?

SSTahoe
05-12-2005, 07:53 AM
hey some of those pictures are photochops... where are the whitecaps. ;)
South Lake Tahoe is a great place to go and cruise around. If you stay around the shore line its usually not a problem. If the wind comes up, head for shore. A lot of the time the lake is very calm, just cold.
SSTAHOE: where, would you say, is the best place to lauch?
I have to admit the Keys are nice if you can get a condo on the water with a dock. there is a ton of motel & hotels. They have rebuilt a lot of the State line area looks really nice! If you stay in one of the big Hotel there is more then plenty to do, Night club I think there is about 5-6 now, movies, food, gambling, drinking! As far as launch the boat The keys, Cave rock ( gets rough in the late afternoon during the summer months) Sand Harbor ( is nice because it has a little cove to launch to small for my boat though), And there is a lot more too. there is about half a dozen places to launch within 5-15 drive from the State line area. Check out my other post with the links.

rivercrazy
05-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Thanks so much for posting all this information. Makes a trip up there even more probable now that I've gotton some great feedback. Thanks everyone.
And GREAT PICS!
P.S. if your delivering the boat to tahoe Wes, let me know when. We may cross paths up there. If so, dinner and drinks on me.

SSTahoe
05-12-2005, 08:06 AM
here is a good links
www.virtualtahoe.com

SSTahoe
05-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Thanks so much for posting all this information. Makes a trip up there even more probable now that I've gotton some great feedback. Thanks everyone.
And GREAT PICS!
P.S. if your delivering the boat to tahoe Wes, let me know when. We may cross paths up there. If so, dinner and drinks on me.
I will be up there every weekend I hope so If you do come up PM before hand and I will take you for a spped run Tahoe style and stop off at Garwoods for a couple pitchers of Wet Woods!!

rivercrazy
05-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks! If we make it up, I'll look you up for sure. First round on me!
How's the weather typically in mid to late June? Still pretty cool? Typically more windy?

SSTahoe
05-12-2005, 09:12 AM
Thanks! If we make it up, I'll look you up for sure. First round on me!
How's the weather typically in mid to late June? Still pretty cool? Typically more windy?
End of june is really nice still a little chill in the morning at the lake is great a little breeze in the afternoon mid 80's just perfect weather plus the mountains will still have some snow on them perfect for pic's with the clear water and snow in the mountains