PDA

View Full Version : Damn pop-up question...

al cole'holic
05-11-2005, 12:26 PM
...I haven't had a pop-up in a long while, until now!! This "Aurora" crap keeps loading up and giving me pop-ups as of Monday and I wanna throw this computer out the window. Anyone know how I can find it and delete the source??? Thanks...

BrendellaJet
05-11-2005, 12:27 PM
what operating system?

Havasu_Dreamin
05-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Spybot Search and Destroy

al cole'holic
05-11-2005, 12:28 PM
what operating system?
XP

Boozer
05-11-2005, 12:33 PM
That Aurora thing thrashed my computer. I have to reformat the whole thing tonight because of it. I did SpyBot, Adaware, and Stopzilla nothing seems to work.
Since the Aurora started the whole GUI on my computer went crazy and everything looks like sh*t. Not only does it cause severe pop ups it causes my internet connection to stop and closes down all of my IE windows then starts shooting crazy amounts of pop ups. It also killed my sound the computer doesnt even recognize my sound card anymore. Oh yeah it also corrupted Norton antivirus too.
Good luck.

BrendellaJet
05-11-2005, 12:43 PM
First, if you aren't already using service pack 2, get it, you can download from Microsoft for free. Make sure you get all of your windows updates as well. Last, get a cheap router. It will act as a firewall and should eliminate your pop ups. Also You can use adaware, its free and works well. Other programs you can download will find more spyware, but they aint free. They are worth their price though.

NorCal Gameshow
05-11-2005, 12:43 PM
check this out: http://www.mypctuneup.com/

HM
05-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Also, try using an alternative browser like FireFox from Mozilla....it is free. Spyware disappeared when I started using FireFox. :cool:

al cole'holic
05-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the help guys!! I ran one of these programs and it found 32 "threats" and is cleaning em up....but it didn't find this Aurora bastard though.. :idea:

racecar.hotshoe
05-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Also, try using an alternative browser like FireFox from Mozilla....it is free. Spyware disappeared when I started using FireFox. :cool:
Firefox has big problems in the security dept...........

JackieV
05-11-2005, 01:34 PM
What ya do is unhook the keyboard, mouse, monitor and printers. Then you pick up the tower or hard-drive piece of the computer and place it behind your car. You then jump in the driver seat of your vehicle and reverse out of the drive way until you have comletely run over the damn thing :hammer2: . You may want to continue doing so until all feeling of aggrevation is gone. Have a nice day! :shift:

welk2party
05-11-2005, 01:36 PM
What ya do is unhook the keyboard, mouse, monitor and printers. Then you pick up the tower or hard-drive piece of the computer and place it behind your car. You then jump in the driver seat of your vehicle and reverse out of the drive way until you have comletely run over the damn thing :hammer2: . You may want to continue doing so until all feeling of aggrevation is gone. Have a nice day! :shift:
Hey, that might work! :D

BrendellaJet
05-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the help guys!! I ran one of these programs and it found 32 "threats" and is cleaning em up....but it didn't find this Aurora bastard though.. :idea:
The spyware removal tools are all different. Sometimes you have to run multiple programs to strip the computer clean of them. Go to download.com and get spyware Dr. Its the free version and will work for 2 weeks. Its the best ive seen. It should get you out of trouble...A router is the best way to get rid of popups. Also try disabling MSN messenger...

napabob
05-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Quote below from Aurora:
"In the past few weeks (beginning on Friday, 8 April 2005) we have received numerous e-mail messages regarding malicious popup windows appearing on user machines worldwide that contain ''Aurora'' somewhere in the window."
http://www.aurora.com/support/malware.html

jbtrailerjim
05-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Try this. http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/CounterSpy.cfm My wife is the I.T. person at her work and she said this is about the best out there right now. It's a free download.

MagicMtnDan
05-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Sounds like you have a virus/program that's taking over your browser which is pretty common these days. I had one and it's insidious. You can get rid of it using SpyBot but you have to know how (I was told how and now I don't remember). I believe it involves clicking on the Tools tab (lower left) and doing something there (BHOs?). I'm guessing someone here will be able to help but at this point you might want to try SpyBot and browse around it (use Help too) yourself.
If you don't have it you can get it free at www.download.com
Good luck!