PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Hop up

No Regrets
05-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Getting ready to do something to open her up and improve mileage hopefully.
Any opinions? Ive heard a little about Banks & Juice kits. Whos has what? How much? Whats better?
Thanks in advance.
BP

Boozer
05-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Are you trying to retain the factory warranty?

LHC30Victory
05-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Boozer, you are such a "car sales" kinda guy.....

Boozer
05-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Boozer, you are such a "car sales" kinda guy.....
LOL not really. I just know what it's like to void the factory warranty on a car with performance mods and then have a motor take a crap on me.
Warranty aside it really just depends on what kind of performance you want out of your truck. Do you want to smoke just about anything you encounter or just have a little more umph for towing?
As far as adding mileage goes the best way to do that is to stay off the pedal. Certain mods will give you more fuel mileage but with the added power who's really going to stay out of throttle enough to see those benefits?

No Regrets
05-12-2005, 10:41 AM
The local dealership here in SCV seems to be okay with most of the guys here that have done it. Something about unplugging before you check in? Do Banks or Juice offer any overriding warranty? As far as the pedal, Ive been milkin it lately and w/ 5k on the odo, the best I stll see is mid 13's-4x4 no lift, just 285 tires.

dicudmore
05-12-2005, 10:55 AM
I think the Juice is the better way to go...
and I was about to start a Juice thread too...
Those using it, what power level do you use when towing? Got the manual here on my desk and it says to use level 1 or 2...

LHC30Victory
05-12-2005, 11:01 AM
The local dealership here in SCV seems to be okay with most of the guys here that have done it. Something about unplugging before you check in? Do Banks or Juice offer any overriding warranty? As far as the pedal, Ive been milkin it lately and w/ 5k on the odo, the best I stll see is mid 13's-4x4 no lift, just 285 tires.
That seems kinda low. I have 1200 on my 05 and am getting 16ish combo town and short hwy (which isnt very fast - just no stop lights). Got 19 going to havi with only 300 on it. Very happy with it. BTW did I mention Jay and Boozer got it for me?

dicudmore
05-12-2005, 11:01 AM
That seems kinda low. I have 1200 on my 05 and am getting 16ish combo town and short hwy (which isnt very fast - just no stop lights). Got 19 going to havi with only 300 on it. Very happy with it. BTW did I mention Jay and Boozer got it for me?
that's better than I get w/my dually...but about the same as I get w/my short bed ext cab

ItsOnly$
05-12-2005, 11:06 AM
I have the Juice Attitude. I run it on #3 all the time. I haven't towed with it yet. My mileage is approx 12-13. I'm on the pedal alot. The truck is a crew cab long bed with 11" lift and 20's with 38" tires. It has some serious getty-up. I've only ran it on #5 once. It was very responsive. I'm waiting for a little more break in before I get on it at #4 or #5. The truck only has 1200 miles.

INSman
05-12-2005, 11:16 AM
I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 with the Juice, AFE Intake and RBP 4" turbo back exhaust and I think the truck screams. I get killer mileage, almost 20 not towing (freeway) and about 14-17 towing, depending on which boat.
I tow on setting (3) and will normally drive on 4 and kick it to 5 if I want to kick some little punks a$$ !! :cool:
p.s. Make friends with a Diesel Mechanic at one of the dealerships nearby, and you should have little if any problems with warranty issues. :D

LakeRacer
05-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Just because you do "performance mods" doesn't mean the manufacturer or dealer can automatically deny you warranty coverage. If something breaks, they have to prove that the "performance mods" caused the break.

No Regrets
05-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Where is the best place to get these and what do they cost? Exhaust included?

Boozer
05-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Where is the best place to get these and what do they cost? Exhaust included?
Try these guys.
http://rollingbigpower.com/products/?searchType=vehicleSearch&sfID1=18&sfID2=22

djunkie
05-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Did you reprogram the speedo? If you didn't your not going to get an accurate reading with the bigger tires. It will show less mileage than you are actually getting.

No Regrets
05-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Did you reprogram the speedo? If you didn't your not going to get an accurate reading with the bigger tires. It will show less mileage than you are actually getting.
No, How do I do that?

dicudmore
05-12-2005, 12:57 PM
No, How do I do that?
the juice module has a place to compensate for tires :wink:

Boozer
05-12-2005, 12:58 PM
the juice module has a place to compensate for tires :wink:
A dealer can also do it.

dicudmore
05-12-2005, 12:59 PM
A dealer can also do it.
just trying to help him decide... I am a dealer :wink:

Dave C
05-12-2005, 01:30 PM
stop quoting the law in here... you might upset some of the dealers ;) ;)
Just because you do "performance mods" doesn't mean the manufacturer or dealer can automatically deny you warranty coverage. If something breaks, they have to prove that the "performance mods" caused the break.

INSman
05-12-2005, 01:34 PM
just trying to help him decide... I am a dealer :wink:
Dan, "BONG" dealer does not qualify here !! ;) :D

Boozer
05-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Dan, "BONG" dealer does not qualify here !! ;) :D
I believe they are reffered to as water pipes in his biz.

UnionJack
05-12-2005, 01:41 PM
I have the edge, and I am very happy with it

It's Only Money
05-12-2005, 01:53 PM
13-14 MPG? Can the Duramax be that bad? My stock 4x2 2005 Cummins is averaging 18+ with partial bumper to bumper daily traffic. No knock on Duramax...it just seems very low. Are you sure that is all you're getting?

racecar.hotshoe
05-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Like I said I have a 05 3500 dually(Thanks Jay) I have the juice stacked with the predator,Magnaflow exhaust,airaid cold airbox,Runs like a mofo getting 16.8 mpg in the city.................. :D

dicudmore
05-12-2005, 05:02 PM
stop quoting the law in here... you might upset some of the dealers ;) ;)
yup ya might... it says in the owners manual of the Edge kit to take it off prior to any warranty repairs because "some mfg's may void warranty" :rolleyes:
with US at the dealer level, we could care less if you bring the truck in for a window motor problem and have "the juice" or something on the truck...
BUT, if you come in for a rear end, trans, suspension problem and you've got a lift kit on it, over-size tires etc... FORGET IT
For our area rep tires/wheels, lifts/lowering are a much bigger no no than a power adder...
I have had claims denied on extended-warranty type claims for all sorts of reasons though...had intake gaskets declined because the guy had a K&N type cold air box on the truck... had steering concerns denied due to over-size tires...you name it

No Regrets
05-16-2005, 04:34 PM
I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 with the Juice, AFE Intake and RBP 4" turbo back exhaust and I think the truck screams. I get killer mileage, almost 20 not towing (freeway) and about 14-17 towing, depending on which boat.
I tow on setting (3) and will normally drive on 4 and kick it to 5 if I want to kick some little punks a$$ !! :cool:
p.s. Make friends with a Diesel Mechanic at one of the dealerships nearby, and you should have little if any problems with warranty issues. :D
What size are your tires and did you leave the catalytic on ? What does the the AFE cost and where to get?
Anyon else have a turbo backfire/cough when acclerating hard ? Usually on an uphill when temp is around 180, not quite warmed up all the way but drivin about 5 miles from starting? Right after shifting @ 45MPH then again @ shift around 60? Wont ever do it when temp is around 210 (normal)

INSman
05-16-2005, 05:15 PM
What size are your tires and did you leave the catalytic on ? What does the the AFE cost and where to get?
Anyon else have a turbo backfire/cough when acclerating hard ? Usually on an uphill when temp is around 180, not quite warmed up all the way but drivin about 5 miles from starting? Right after shifting @ 45MPH then again @ shift around 60? Wont ever do it when temp is around 210 (normal)
Tires are TOYO Open Country A/T (325/60/20)
Catalytic converter is gone
Got the AFE on Ebay, but you can find many places just by doing a "Google Search" for AFE Intake
Cost for the AFE is about $230 stage 1, $300 stage 2
I got stage 2 with larger intake tube and air filter box
NO turbo backifire/cough ever on my engine, towing or not.

BigDoug
05-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Iv'e got a 2003 4+4 psd crew cab, when i got the truck it had 13,000 miles on it and a 8in lift with 37s on it I got 11 mpg, then i put the juice with monitor on level 3 and got 14mpg, my next mod will be exhaust and intake filter, this should yield me 1-2 more mpg.
Your truck isn't broke in yet so give it time for the better mileage. :D

No Regrets
05-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Cost for the AFE is about $230 stage 1, $300 stage 2
I got stage 2 with larger intake tube and air filter box
Whats the diff between stage 1 & 2?

INSman
05-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Whats the diff between stage 1 & 2?
The answer lies here grasshopper !! :D
http://www.fast-diesel.com/duramax/airintake.html

dicudmore
05-17-2005, 06:44 AM
that cough is typically an injector hanging up momentarily...
not all that uncommon on a low-mile truck...
happened on my 05 4 or 5 times , although once or twice it was at normal temp when it happened...
also, my MPG is up about 2 since adding the Juice module ;) 16-17 over the weekend, 12-15 on prior trips

racecar.hotshoe
05-17-2005, 06:48 AM
that cough is typically an injector hanging up momentarily...
not all that uncommon on a low-mile truck...
happened on my 05 4 or 5 times , although once or twice it was at normal temp when it happened...
also, my MPG is up about 2 since adding the Juice module ;) 16-17 over the weekend, 12-15 on prior trips
Dan now you need the predator so you can turn off the rev limiter.. :D

No Regrets
05-17-2005, 08:48 AM
The answer lies here grasshopper !! :D
http://www.fast-diesel.com/duramax/airintake.html
Thanks Danielson, great site- Good info on diesels.
Thanks again for all y'alls help.
Brian

dave186
05-17-2005, 09:35 AM
i put a juice with attitude on an 03 7.3 PSD and man it made a difference, but on level 5 the EGTs went sky high if you stayed in it for any length of time. the truck has 4" exhaust but nothing done to the intake yet. another one of our customers has an 04 6.0 PSD with the edge box stacked with a bullydog box then an AFE stage 2, and 5" exhaust. its lifted with 37" tires and will roast them from a stop. i know that doesnt have anything to do with duramaxes, but no one drives the things around here????

No Regrets
05-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Has anyone done the K & N intake? Good or bad?

Dave C
05-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Question.... what exhaust kits come with a catalytic converter?
I'm am all for ditching it but I don't want the tree huggers stringing me up by my nuts.

racecar.hotshoe
05-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Question.... what exhaust kits come with a catalytic converter?
I'm am all for ditching it but I don't want the tree huggers stringing me up by my nuts.
Magnaflow has one............