PDA

View Full Version : Air tool Q

Tom Brown
05-13-2005, 11:22 AM
This may not be on topic but I'd like to solicit the opinion of some of you mechanical types. I last worked in a machine/welding shop about 20 years ago so I may not be completely current. :D
As a network engineer, I find that I don't use my pneumatic tools a lot so they remain in pretty good shape. :D
Back when I got my hands dirty for a living, Chicago Pneumatic was a well respected brand of pneumatic tools. At least, with the crowd I hung with.
Is CP still a respected brand? I need to replace my dual action sander and want something decent but I don't want to pay huge money for SnapOn. My jobber has IR and a bunch of other brands but CP is the brand I recognized as the best, drawing from my obsolete pneumatic tool knowledge.
Thanks,
Tom :)

djunkie
05-13-2005, 11:25 AM
IMO I would choose the IR air products over the NEW cp stuff. I do have some old cp stuff that is still working great. But if I'm gonna buy new I'll usally jump on the better stuff. Snap-on, Mac, IR. Not saying CP is bad, but I've had good luck with the others so I'll stick with them.

CARLSON-JET
05-13-2005, 11:33 AM
the new CP tools are made overseas.

Tom Brown
05-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Thanks, gents. :)
I just picked up an IR 4151. :cool:

Racer277
05-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks, gents. :)
I just picked up an IR 4151. :cool:
So...your snap-on guy is in the parking lot, showing you the coolest stuff....
SO: This hear is the greatest, it's the IR4151...
TB: Hold on, let me go ask my buddies...they're experts...
1.5 hours later...
TB: I'll take it, they say it's great....
Very cool Tom, I like it.... :cool:

Tom Brown
05-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Actually, it's not far from that.
There is a tool wholesaler a couple of blocks from where I work. As it happens, I know the owner pretty well and he takes good care of me.
... so I solicited some advice from you gents, went over during my afternoon coffee break, and picked up the tool.
Life is good and I really appreciate the help. :)
Tomorrow, I'll be up to my ass in fiberglass dust. :D

djunkie
05-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Actually, it's not far from that.
There is a tool wholesaler a couple of blocks from where I work. As it happens, I know the owner pretty well and he takes good care of me.
... so I solicited some advice from you gents, went over during my afternoon coffee break, and picked up the tool.
Life is good and I really appreciate the help. :)
Tomorrow, I'll be up to my ass in fiberglass dust. :D
Congrats. You have made wise decision. Now make sure to wear short sleeves and shorts tomorrow. :D

dmontzsta
05-13-2005, 04:03 PM
I just bought a new Husky set up. Go with that, good product for a great price. They also have a lifetime warranty.
Husky air tools - Lifetime warranty
Craftsman Sockets - Lifetime warranty
You cant go wrong...
here is my setup.
http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Misc...Stuff./dmontzmax/Compressor/100_2920.jpg http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Misc...Stuff./dmontzmax/Compressor/100_2923.jpg http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Misc...Stuff./dmontzmax/Compressor/100_2924.jpg http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Misc...Stuff./dmontzmax/Compressor/100_2926.jpg http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Misc...Stuff./dmontzmax/Compressor/100_2927.jpg http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Misc...Stuff./dmontzmax/Compressor/100_2929.jpg http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Misc...Stuff./dmontzmax/Compressor/100_2930.jpg http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Misc...Stuff./dmontzmax/Compressor/100_2932.jpg
It was a good shopping spree...buying a set of Craftsman sockets for $329 95pc set. Also have my eye on a good air saw...
BTW: Husky is the same thing as Ingersol Rand but for a fraction of the price AND lifetime warranty.

HOSS
05-14-2005, 06:44 AM
IR is the best in the pneumatic business,,,,period. Sanp-on blows, CP was good 20 or so ago. I`d lean to or so. Husky and its life time on pneumatics,,,,,,can`t be beat. But they are made in China! That sucks. Phuc the Chinese. And phuc anyone thats not down with stopping trade with other countries that don`t adopt our same labor and environmental laws.

wsuwrhr
05-14-2005, 08:42 AM
http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Misc...Stuff./dmontzmax/Compressor/100_2920.jpg
Cool D,
I got the same setup 6 months ago or so.
I built a compressor room outside on the back of the garage for it. Drywall, insulation, solid core door, the whole nine yards. Thing runs perfect, and at midnight you can't even here it run. Beats listening to my oilless compressor, anyone want to buy it?
You will be happy with that setup.
The best thing is the whole unit is made in the USA. All the shit at sears was china crap. Go figure. I bought an axe last week, I finally found one at Lowes that was made in the USA. Sears, Home depot....all china shit. I was pissed.
Brian
My .02, run bigger lines out of the compressor though.

dmontzsta
05-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Cool D,
I got the same setup 6 months ago or so.
I built a compressor room outside on the back of the garage for it. Drywall, insulation, solid core door, the whole nine yards. Thing runs perfect, and at midnight you can't even here it run. Beats listening to my oilless compressor, anyone want to buy it?
You will be happy with that setup.
The best thing is the whole unit is made in the USA. All the shit at sears was china crap. Go figure. I bought an axe last week, I finally found one at Lowes that was made in the USA. Sears, Home depot....all china shit. I was pissed.
Brian
My .02, run bigger lines out of the compressor though.
Awesome set up, wish I could build a compressor room, but the side of the house is pretty tight. It is Made in the USA huh? that is good to know...I didnt even check on that. What all do you use your compressor for?

wsuwrhr
05-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Awesome set up, wish I could build a compressor room, but the side of the house is pretty tight. It is Made in the USA huh? that is good to know...I didnt even check on that. What all do you use your compressor for?
Yep, on the paperwork, the compressor pump, and I think it says it on the tank and motor also.
Everything else I looked at was China shit. Cast iron twin cylinder. I have had zero problems with it, I ran the oil recommended on the parerwork, synthetic, and I change it once a month.
I use the compressor for everything in the shop, it is plumbed throughout the garage. Most of the air is used by the mill, since it uses air to do the tool changes, and everywhere else there are air hoses and couplers.

wsuwrhr
05-14-2005, 02:20 PM
My camera has some issues, when I get it fixed, it I will snap some shots of the building and post them.
Brian

dmontzsta
05-14-2005, 06:42 PM
My camera has some issues, when I get it fixed, it I will snap some shots of the building and post them.
Brian
Cool, I look forward to seeing them.

dmontzsta
05-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Yep, on the paperwork, the compressor pump, and I think it says it on the tank and motor also.
Everything else I looked at was China shit. Cast iron twin cylinder. I have had zero problems with it, I ran the oil recommended on the parerwork, synthetic, and I change it once a month.
I use the compressor for everything in the shop, it is plumbed throughout the garage. Most of the air is used by the mill, since it uses air to do the tool changes, and everywhere else there are air hoses and couplers.
Now when you say plumbed throughout the garage, what do you mean? I hear people talking about that, but dont know what they mean.
Thanks

05-15-2005, 05:01 AM
Now when you say plumbed throughout the garage, what do you mean? I hear people talking about that, but dont know what they mean.
Thanks
Don, Alot of guys will plumb their shop for air so they have multiple outlets and hoses at different locations in the shop. Just like plumbing a house for water. It saves time and the trouble of dragging a hose thru the shop and having to use long hoses. I use PVC pipe with cement weld fittings. Be sure to get the PVC that has a high pressure and temp rating. Compressed air gets hot. Also a good water seperator will do wonders, your new air tools will thank you.

GofastRacer
05-15-2005, 06:33 AM
I run PVC all the way around my shop with fittings every 6 feet, I hate air hoses laying all over the place, it's just like extention cords you end up tripping all over them all the time!. Oh and a drop of Marvel in the tools once in a while keeps them nice and lubricated!..

dmontzsta
05-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks for filling me in. I dont think I need to get that crazy yet, since I have a two car garage and my 50' hose reaches down to my driveway and the street. :D
BTW: Taking off lug nuts is so effortless now, before I would be out there with a star in the heat cranking away on them.

wsuwrhr
05-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Don, Alot of guys will plumb their shop for air so they have multiple outlets and hoses at different locations in the shop. Just like plumbing a house for water. It saves time and the trouble of dragging a hose thru the shop and having to use long hoses. I use PVC pipe with cement weld fittings. Be sure to get the PVC that has a high pressure and temp rating. Compressed air gets hot. Also a good water seperator will do wonders, your new air tools will thank you.
Yea what he said.
I have coiled hoses hanging from the ceiling for blowing off parts.
Brian