PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Q

76elimspecial
05-13-2005, 04:23 PM
I Need A New Alternator For My Bbf. Does It Absolutely Need To Be A Marine Alt. Theres No Cover On The Motor. Any Insight Would Be Appreciated.

AZKC
05-13-2005, 04:25 PM
I Need A New Alternator For My Bbf. Does It Absolutely Need To Be A Marine Alt. Theres No Cover On The Motor. Any Insight Would Be Appreciated.
Nope I run a chrome car one. But there be some Coast Gaurd regulation but I doubt its enforced on lakes and rivers :rolleyes:

76elimspecial
05-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Thanx. Has Anybody Ever Had A Bad Experience Runnin A Car Alternator???

BIGCHRIS
05-13-2005, 04:32 PM
everybody around here runs a car one no problems i no of :D

AZKC
05-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanx. Has Anybody Ever Had A Bad Experience Runnin A Car Alternator???
They work fine, now starters on the other hand, I prefer marine they seem to last alot longer.

Devilman
05-13-2005, 04:57 PM
What's the difference between a "car" alternator & a "marine" alternator? Just curious, I've got a 429 with a Motorola "marine" alternator. The guy I bought it from wasn't running an alternator at all(it had a bad regulator), he gave me the Motorola later, I had it repaired, & put it back on. Running without one sux BTW. Not having any problems, but wondering what the difference is...

76elimspecial
05-13-2005, 05:22 PM
What's the difference between a "car" alternator & a "marine" alternator? Just curious, I've got a 429 with a Motorola "marine" alternator. The guy I bought it from wasn't running an alternator at all(it had a bad regulator), he gave me the Motorola later, I had it repaired, & put it back on. Running without one sux BTW. Not having any problems, but wondering what the difference is...
I THINK IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE ARCING A CAR ALT GETS AND THE FUMES IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. A COAST GUARD THING.

momudder720
05-13-2005, 05:32 PM
If you're running an open engine bay, just getcherself a GM 1-wire altenator. Self energizing, and oughta be easy enougy for you to fab up...no voltage regulator, just 1 big wire to run straight to the battery.

76elimspecial
05-13-2005, 05:50 PM
If you're running an open engine bay, just getcherself a GM 1-wire altenator. Self energizing, and oughta be easy enougy for you to fab up...no voltage regulator, just 1 big wire to run straight to the battery.
GOTCHA. THANX.

Oldsquirt
05-13-2005, 06:01 PM
If you want a 1-wire and don't feel like fabbing anything up, check Jegs. Their latest catalog shows a 1-wire Ford alternator.

Duane HTP
05-13-2005, 07:28 PM
The marine alternator usually has a screen mesh that covers the breather holes in the back of the housing so sparks can not ignite fuel as easily.

momudder720
05-13-2005, 07:30 PM
I didn't even know Ford MADE a 1-wire altenator...I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow to scour GM's to get one for my play truck.
For any on you interested, I got a guy that'll do powdercoating for a reasonable price. I know how raw those fabricated parts can look on your nice shiny boats...

Oldsquirt
05-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Momudder, Ford doesn't make a 1-wire alternator, and neither does GM as far as I know. All the GM 1-wires I've seen are conversions by the aftermarket. The one Jegs sells for Fords is under there own brand name and it is a hybrid. Probably got a GM-style 1-wire regulator in it. :D

Jake W2
05-13-2005, 07:56 PM
I run a crome one wire GM style alt from tuff stuff on my Ford go figure it takes a smaller bolt so you will need to drill it out on the alt or heli the hole in the block.Or buy the one Jegs sells for the Ford like Oldsquirt is refering to.
Jake

76elimspecial
05-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Will The One Wire Model Work If I'm Runnin 2 Batterys????