PDA

View Full Version : tahiti carribean

tahiti tim
05-14-2005, 05:15 PM
i just bought this boat, anyone know anything about them?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4548771153&category=80653

Wicked Performance Boats
05-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Don't know anything about them but that's a killer deal, parts are worth more than $2,000 Budlight

steelcomp
05-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Wow, that's a killer deal. 19', Big Block Chev, split bowl Berk, and full length stringers all on a Competitive trailer!! That's a pretty good foundation for a nice boat if it's in decent structural condition. I think whoever designed that interior was on 'shrooms! :D

steelcomp
05-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Don't know anything about them but that's a killer deal, parts are worth more than $2,000 Budlight
Wicked Performance Boats.....you're going to have to shorten that name, Bud. :D

Jake W2
05-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Yea that hull was made/designed by Spectra then Tahiti and Elininator its a good hull but being a Tahiti it is probely heavy and has some hook in the bottom.Looks like you got a good deal.
Jake

Wicked Performance Boats
05-14-2005, 07:42 PM
How about " Wickperfboats" :D Budlite

Heatseeker
05-14-2005, 09:52 PM
I had an 85 Caribbean for 5 years. Mine was an open motor deal. It was great boat, strong, sturdy and yes a little heavy. The bottom did have substantial hook, which I never dealt with. With a blower atop the original 454, I got her up to 78 MPH(before blowing the poor mill to smithereens).
And I'd love to have my old Competitive trailer back! A much nicer unit than the Giroux under my Roger's.
I think you'll be happy with your new boat.

BobbyB
05-15-2005, 04:11 AM
being a Tahiti it is probely heavy and has some hook in the bottom.
Jake,
What exactly is the "hook"?
I have heard the term used before, and I'm not sure I know what it means.
-C77

old rigger
05-15-2005, 07:16 AM
Yea that hull was made/designed by Spectra then Tahiti and Elininator its a good hull but being a Tahiti it is probely heavy and has some hook in the bottom.Looks like you got a good deal.
Jake
actually, Jerry Gilbredth (whos dad started Gil marine) owned the molds after spectra was done with them. He leased them out, but not to tahiti. they just splashed it.

Jake W2
05-15-2005, 07:45 AM
Rich Tahiti splashing something I dont belive it.
Custom 77 hook is just what it implies a hook shaped bottom on the boat.It will need to be filled and strightned the last 4 feet and out two strakes to make the hull run to its potential.
Jake

AZKC
05-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Bent Valves :( Its an epidemic I tell you :D Good deal on the boat. Lots of good stuff to build on. But as said before interior is a bit over the top. :rolleyes:

BobbyB
05-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Rich Tahiti splashing something I dont belive it.
Custom 77 hook is just what it implies a hook shaped bottom on the boat.It will need to be filled and strightned the last 4 feet and out two strakes to make the hull run to its potential.
Jake
Jake,
THanks for the response;
So, there will almost be a point turned down where the transom and the bottom meet? Why would they even design a hull that way? :eek:

Jake W2
05-15-2005, 11:54 AM
77 they did not design it that way it is from pulling the hull to fast of setting it in the sun to cure quicker ect.
Jake

tahitijet
05-15-2005, 12:06 PM
So, there will almost be a point turned down where the transom and the bottom meet? Why would they even design a hull that way?
It shouldn't be a point more like a concave curve or series of concave sections in the bottom.. If you lay a straight edge from the transome forward out 4-6 feet if there is a gap under the straight edge the gap is the amount of "hook"
Here is a pic of mine.. you can see the mapping on the bottom indicating how much hook and where.. also notice the gap under the straight edge on the keel. This boat had almost 3/4" of hook along the keel and about 1/2 way out to the first strake on each side.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709P3020133-med.JPG
and here is what it looked like afterwards
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709P4110245-med.JPG

BobbyB
05-15-2005, 12:46 PM
It shouldn't be a point more like a concave curve or series of concave sections in the bottom.. If you lay a straight edge from the transome forward out 4-6 feet if there is a gap under the straight edge the gap is the amount of "hook"
Here is a pic of mine.. you can see the mapping on the bottom indicating how much hook and where.. also notice the gap under the straight edge on the keel. This boat had almost 3/4" of hook along the keel and about 1/2 way out to the first strake on each side.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709P3020133-med.JPG
and here is what it looked like afterwards
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709P4110245-med.JPG
...."aaAAHHH, I SEE" said the blind man. Thanks TJ for the info and the photos. That pretty much summed it up for me. The hook wasn't intentional, just a flaw that happened to "some" boats after they were pulled from the mold. If you are one of the unfortunate ones, where do you take it to get fixed, or "blueprinted"?
Thanks for the patience guys. I AM learning something, I swear! :D

Jake W2
05-15-2005, 05:23 PM
77 I like the cruzer in the pic I am trying to find one and have been for a while no luck yet.
Where are you located so we can help with a place.
Jake

old rigger
05-15-2005, 05:34 PM
most of the hook in the old tahitis, eliminators, hawaiians, anthonys (enter just about any quickly produced boat in the 70s and 80s) came from either the lay up being to fast, heating the part in the mold, not shoving them in the sun to cure, (although I have seen this done once. the laminator forgot to mix catalist with the resin, the only solution was to shove it in the sun. It took about a week for it to cure but it did. And it was a real bear to get the deck and hull to fit after that) or the rigger setting the intake incorrectly when he rigged the boat.
Or the boat's been sitting on the trailer the wrong way for a bunch of years.

Jake W2
05-15-2005, 05:40 PM
77 Here you go a guy(Oldrigger) that worked for Dick the man that made your boat he knows his shit and all about Tahits.
Got it Rich, In the sun has nothing to do with it. :D
Jake

old rigger
05-15-2005, 05:45 PM
77 Here you go a guy(Oldrigger) that worked for Dick the man that made your boat he knows his shit and all about Tahits.
Got it Rich, In the sun has nothing to do with it. :D
Jake
What make you think they were shoved in the sun?
By the way, dick schuster had nothing to do with his boat either. He sold out long before his boat was made to Bell inc. His Tahiti was built by Hardin.

Jake W2
05-15-2005, 05:50 PM
I thought Dick still worked for Tahiti even after he sold it and was still taking materials in the later 70 as you have said befor.
I thought the put them in the sun to hurry up the cureing procress back then to pop out more?
Was I wrong about any thing else. ;)
Jake

Jake W2
05-15-2005, 05:54 PM
Rich I was talking about 77s daycruzer I assumed it was a Tahiti mabey its not I was not talking about the Spectra splash.
Jake

old rigger
05-15-2005, 06:22 PM
I thought Dick still worked for Tahiti even after he sold it and was still taking materials in the later 70 as you have said befor.
I thought the put them in the sun to hurry up the cureing procress back then to pop out more?
Was I wrong about any thing else. ;)
Jake
I never said that. I said that he back doored material to start Hawaiian which was started in 74, looooooooong before that tahiti that started this thread was built.
We very rarely would burn two parts out of the same mold in one day. At tahiti and hawaiian we had up to 3 molds for some models. having said that, one day in a mold is nothing to get to excited about . lol
I worked for 6 months at galaxie, and they would every day pull parts and put them in the sun. I once saw 3 boats out of one mold in one 8 hour work day. Piece of craps.
I had the 29th tahiti built up until a few years ago. The lay up on that boat was one of the best I've ever owned. the keel was over an inch thick. Very nice boat. Schuster was a laminator before he stated Tahiti and knew his shit. He layed up some very fast, state of the art Powercats in the early 60s.
But in the long run, who fockin cares.

Jake W2
05-15-2005, 06:35 PM
OK I got it sorry I messed up your info.
Your info is great thanks for sharing it with us.So you could say some hulls might have a hook from setting them in the sun just not a Tahiti.I said some general statments and you asumed I ment just Tahiti sorry for the mixup.
Jake

old rigger
05-15-2005, 07:14 PM
77 they did not design it that way it is from pulling the hull to fast of setting it in the sun to cure quicker ect.
Jake
I didn't asume anything. You said the above, and I guess I took it as you had the the inside scoop on how things were done at tahiti, (or any shop) and because you said what you did, it came off that that was the general practice at tahiti. It wasn't. I'm not saying it never happened, maybe it did. but as a rule, with the giant shop that we had, nothing was ever out in the sun, not the parts, not the molds, not the boats. The building was huge and before that one was built we had 3 giant buildings that did the same when it came to keeping the parts out of the sun. Did tahitis have hook? duh. did it happen from pushing the parts in the sun, no. it came form the reasons I said eariler.

Jake W2
05-15-2005, 07:17 PM
You win no inside scoop here.I understand Tahitis did not get hook from the sun.
Jake

BobbyB
05-15-2005, 08:11 PM
77 I like the cruzer in the pic I am trying to find one and have been for a while no luck yet.
Where are you located so we can help with a place.
Jake
Thanks Jake. I live in Torrance, CA (it's kinda near Long Beach). I bought it a couple of years back from a guy in the LBC. I thougt it was a CUSTOM due to the pink slip (hence my screen name), but I figured out it's a CHARGER. I actually posted a thread on the SPECTRAMARINE BOARDS for OLDRIGGER. I will assume that the OLDRIGGER on this thread is the same. I was inquiring about any info regarding CHARGER CUSTOM BOATS in Westminster California? It was owned/run by a BILL RUSSELL I think or a RUSSELL MFG. I'm trying to track down a little history on my boat. ANy input?

BobbyB
05-15-2005, 08:16 PM
What make you think they were shoved in the sun?
By the way, dick schuster had nothing to do with his boat either. He sold out long before his boat was made to Bell inc. His Tahiti was built by Hardin.
Are we talking about my boat? :rollside:

Jake W2
05-15-2005, 08:17 PM
I dont know any thing about them.Seams like there is a few types of these cruzers.Spectra ,Cambell,Southwind.I am sure there is more I doubt Charger made their own design?Rich will probely know something about them.
Jake

BobbyB
05-15-2005, 08:42 PM
I dont know any thing about them.Seams like there is a few types of these cruzers.Spectra ,Cambell,Southwind.I am sure there is more I doubt Charger made their own design?Rich will probely know something about them.
Jake
It's definately a SPECTRA-splash. I have more pics.
Boat Project Pics (http://community.webshots.com/user/blevx1)

spectras only
05-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Custom, this is a 24 Charger I probably posted on spectramarine already .Very close to spectra but different when side by side.
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/charger24.2.jpg

BobbyB
05-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Custom, this is a 24 Charger I probably posted on spectramarine already .Very close to spectra but different when side by side.
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/charger24.2.jpg
.....it does look familiar. I think I have seen it there.

SeaSlut
05-17-2005, 05:35 AM
I hope you post how the deal turned out.
So I can be jealous.
Just got back from indiana looking at junk.
He says it has an olds, ran it last year.
Has a ford, and full of leaves.