PDA

View Full Version : Nordskog Info Needed!

Dave Sammons
05-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Looks like we'll be starting "vdriver4ever's" Nordskog in a few months. Been talking with Pat about how the boat should go back together. Do we do it old school, how it was raced(the picture with the blue paint is how he got it), or update it with a few touches back to it's history? The latter, is the way we are leaning at this time. Because of it's interesting shape, what do you all think about paint(the boat is all white as shown). We will be redoing the floor, and of course the rigging and it will be powered by a 427 Ford as original. Would like to see some posts of any old Nordskog's to get some striping ideas. Also, if any one knows the difinitive history of these rare boats(I've heard there's only been somewhere between 17 and 25 made), like to hear that story as well. Away we go!!!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517nordd1.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517nord9.jpg

Dave Sammons
05-14-2005, 06:36 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517nord2.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517nord3.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517nord5.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517nord6.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517nord7.jpg
Gotta dig the steering assy. and that Transom :cool: :cool:

BIGCHRIS
05-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Thats going to make a sweet boat guys, any original pics of the boat :mix:

dmontzsta
05-14-2005, 06:44 PM
That is one crazy looking boat. That V-Drive sits waaaay up in there.

old rigger
05-14-2005, 07:15 PM
that boat is beautiful. I'd love to see the way they bent the stringers.
I have some old salton sea 500 footage, 16mm changed to tape, with nordskog driving one of his shark tooth boats.
damn, that is very nice. what a great piece of history.

steelcomp
05-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Wow, that's pretty wild! Looks like something you'd see one of Louie Unser's Fords in. Was Nordskog on Supelveda in Van Nuys, right around Burbank? I think I remember seeing it there as a kid.
Very cool boat, and in good hands! PLease keep us posted. :D :coffeycup

Dave Sammons
05-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Thats going to make a sweet boat guys, any original pics of the boat :mix:
The Blue Paint is original. I'm sure more than one Unser Ford made it's way into these boats. I'd like to see 4 Webers on the top of the FE motor, talk about period correct!

GofastRacer
05-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Looks great Dave, love the cav plate setup!.. :)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Have you talked to the guy that brings his viking out to Long Beach? He's seems to know all the info on them.

ColeTR1
05-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Ted who is like a second dad to me, worked for Nordskog in the sixties and built a lot of the hardware in those Viking-Spirit boats. He has lots of pictures of them. And I know some are of that boat, I remember the brown and blue!! There was no cutting corners when they made them, you should put it back to original condition. I would like to bring him down to see the boat and he can bring his picture book with him. One of his best friends Jim O’Leary raced a boat like this one call the Leprechaun K-Boat back in the day. Do any of you guys remember that boat? It had a big picture of a Leprechaun or a four-leaf clover on the deck? We heard the Leprechaun boat was for sell in the boat trader about 6 years ago.

05-15-2005, 05:19 AM
Period correct would be too cool for words, right down to the last detail. Perhaps that Cammer that was in that boat in the other thread?

vdriver4ever
05-15-2005, 06:29 AM
I am really excited to be turning my boat over to Dave for a second restoration. This boat was owned and driven by Skip Miller and tunned by Bobby Davalos in 1971/72. In 1978 some Air National Guard came to Idaho for some training. One of the guardsman was telling my brother of this boat a friend of his had. I guess it had been sitting for some time. My brother inquired about the boat and eventually bought it. It came with a H/M 427 ford with webbers. My brother ran it for a couple years and sold the motor to a guy who was building a cobra kit car. Then the boat was sold to an uncle in AZ. He played with it for a few years and was ready to part ways when I got interested in it. I purchased the boat back in 1988. I spent the next two years bringing it back to life. Other interest have kept the boat garaged for at least four years now. After attending the red rock event (with my grandpa boat) I started thinking about going through the boat again.
My brother Mike found my dad's last built Rayson Craft that had a Louie Unser 427 ford in it. He was in the process of going through that motor when he met Stan Drake in Havasu. Stan had a 427 Tunnel Port that came out of his Aqua Craft for sale so Mike picked it up. I then purchased the Louie Unser 427 from him for this second restoration.
I have more photos I can share. This boat was featured in Powerboat Magazine April 1996.
Some time in June I will make the treck from Boise to Carlsbad with the boat. Until then both Dave and I are excited to learn more about other Nordskogs.

ColeTR1
05-15-2005, 08:08 AM
It came with a H/M 427 ford with webbers.
I have more photos
Until then both Dave and I are excited to learn more about other Nordskogs.
They did have Webbers on them with 8 chrome stacks that turn 90 degrees facing backward. It looked so cool!! And had zoomies that went straight up about 2 ft. into the air. Ted told me they even plumbed water into the struts for cooling. And they all had the little glass windshield. I would love to see the windshield go back on for sure. I would like to see some more pictures and am glad that Dave is helping on the boat.

Dave Sammons
05-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Have you talked to the guy that brings his viking out to Long Beach? He's seems to know all the info on them.
Is this the boat? This picture was given to me in Needles and I was told that this one was one of Nordskog's personal boats. If the paint is the original scheme, than it would make some sense, alot of his boats were painted red, white and blue.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517nord1.jpg

Dave Sammons
05-15-2005, 09:22 AM
Ted who is like a second dad to me, worked for Nordskog in the sixties and built a lot of the hardware in those Viking-Spirit boats. He has lots of pictures of them. And I know some are of that boat, I remember the brown and blue!! There was no cutting corners when they made them, you should put it back to original condition. I would like to bring him down to see the boat and he can bring his picture book with him.
Let's plan on it! It would be REALLY cool to get him down here! Not only for the project and Viking-Spirit history, but, to hear a few stories about, without question, one of the most innovative/successful boat racers there ever was. Sounds like a long lunch at the Coyote Bar and Grill on a Saturday!! :D :D :D

olbiezer
05-15-2005, 09:23 AM
dave.....after seeing that b boat u fixed up i am sure u will have this one looking brand new and looking great soon. keep us posted guy.....thanks

ColeTR1
05-15-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm posting this with Ted he worked for Nordskog 66~68. He only remembers one boat being build with a 427 Ford, it also had Webers and H&M oil cooler. The boat was all dark butterscotch brown with Gold metal flake in the brown, with white trim. It was owned and driven by a gentleman named Hartley White Insurance Broker / Aircraft sportsman. The boat was prepared for a marathon race in San Diego. Mr. White was killed early in the race. The boat was covered up after the accident and Ted never saw it again. Ted has looked at these pictures and says it has the Nordskog marathon hardware in it, steering and under water gear, Strut, Whip Strut and steering quadrant. It also has the correct Finish Line brand name cavitation plate hardware. Even the anodizing of the hardware looks original for Mr. White’s boat. Nordskog also made a lightweight hull for drag racing. Big Block Chevy’s were the preferred Engine in the majority of these boats, Because Nordskog had a special timing cover for BBC that used a gear drive with side-by-side fuel pump and water pump combo.

vdriver4ever
05-16-2005, 04:27 AM
Thanks for all the help Cole,
My boat is a 1971 and the hull is #17.
The boat originally had rails that ran up past the motor. It also has a cool water pickup set up built into the strut.
The boat was built for a racer in Argentina but once he found out the duty tax was more then the boat he declined it. At that time Bob N. sold the boat to Skip Miller.
Please keep all the info coming.

BILLY.B
05-16-2005, 05:44 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517nord7.jpg[/IMG]
Gotta dig the steering assy. and that Transom :cool: :cool:Very cool looking transom and steering hardware.

tygar1
05-16-2005, 05:58 AM
Great pics

vdriver4ever
05-16-2005, 06:19 AM
Billy,
have you started your creative juices flowing yet? How do you doll this boat up and not ruin the great lines?

ColeTR1
05-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks for all the help Cole,
My boat is a 1971 and the hull is #17.
The boat originally had rails that ran up past the motor. It also has a cool water pickup set up built into the strut.
The boat was built for a racer in Argentina but once he found out the duty tax was more then the boat he declined it. At that time Bob N. sold the boat to Skip Miller.
Please keep all the info coming.
I'm going to scan all the pictures Ted has and post them. The water pick-ups was done like that on the boats ted work on to. He said they had two water pick-up in the strut. The prop shaft was 1" and then taperd down to 7/8 on the wip strut.

Dave Sammons
05-16-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm going to scan all the pictures Ted has and post them.
That would be fantastic!!

superdave013
05-16-2005, 09:45 AM
I guess you don't really need an up pedal in those boats!
REALLY REALLY cool boat. I don't think I've ever seen one in person.

dmontzsta
05-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Not knowing much about these boats, I would like to know what were they used for?

Michael Minegar
05-16-2005, 11:54 AM
D. These boats were long distance marathon boats. They looked alot like a Mandella from the deck down. Tons of flare in the front to keep the drivers dry. The needle nose was somewhat a sign of the times. Aqua-Craft and a few other manufactures were putting that nose on different models. These boats are fun to drive because they take the rough water and gobble it. They were very heavy and stable. The first time I drove this thing it scared the hell outta me. I went to turn it slowly and without much throttle and it just went straight. I tried several times and it didnt make any difference. I brought it back to shore and asked my Dad what I might be donig wrong. He laughed and said "let me drive it". So I did and he went out and turned it and layed on the go button and the thing turned on a dime. My brother can't wait to get this thing done and it looks like Dave is the guy. Can't wait to see it done and to drive it again.

vdriver4ever
05-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Mike,
It will be wayyyyyyyyyy to nice to let you drive it again... hehe

superdave013
05-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Not knowing much about these boats, I would like to know what were they used for?
Donnie, you should school yourself up on Bob Nordskog. He was quite the guy. You name it and he raced it! You will find it quite interesting.

steelcomp
05-16-2005, 06:24 PM
D. These boats were long distance marathon boats. They looked alot like a Mandella from the deck down. Tons of flare in the front to keep the drivers dry. The needle nose was somewhat a sign of the times. Aqua-Craft and a few other manufactures were putting that nose on different models. These boats are fun to drive because they take the rough water and gobble it. They were very heavy and stable. The first time I drove this thing it scared the hell outta me. I went to turn it slowly and without much throttle and it just went straight. I tried several times and it didnt make any difference. I brought it back to shore and asked my Dad what I might be donig wrong. He laughed and said "let me drive it". So I did and he went out and turned it and layed on the go button and the thing turned on a dime. My brother can't wait to get this thing done and it looks like Dave is the guy. Can't wait to see it done and to drive it again.
Here's one of those Mandella's.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/1729mandella.jpg
This boat won the Long Beach GP one year, and I'd love to be able to find some history on it. The owner's grandson (who's father drove the boat) has it now, and you're right, Michael. You can't pussy-foot around with steering one of these, and they're really not happy unless the plate's up, and they're on the tail! This has 1 1/8 shaft and rudder, and the water pick up in the strut as well. Not only did the flair in the front keep the driver dry, but it'd drown anyone along side!
Didn't mean to hijack the thread....sorry! :D

vdriver4ever
05-18-2005, 09:21 AM
That's a cool looking boat and definately has some of the Nordskog look.
Does any one know of any other Nordskogs that are still around?

steelcomp
05-19-2005, 05:18 PM
That's a cool looking boat and definately has some of the Nordskog look.
Does any one know of any other Nordskogs that are still around?
It's gotta be one of the most fun boats I've ever been in. The thing's a tank, but it still spins a 12/15 Menkins 6800-6900 with 24's in the box, and just LOVES 6000. We haven't gps'd it yet, but let's just say it's pretty exciting in a 17' boat! :D

83nordic
05-20-2005, 12:14 PM
SC, do you have a long deck Mandella? I would like to chat with you about your set up if so, and would be interested in the hidtory of the boat as well.
John

steelcomp
05-20-2005, 08:58 PM
SC, do you have a long deck Mandella? I would like to chat with you about your set up if so, and would be interested in the hidtory of the boat as well.
John
Sent you a PM. :D

Boy Named Sue
05-21-2005, 01:11 AM
Sent you a PM. :D
A PM from a EHSGS. :) A little rusty Steelcomp.

ColeTR2
06-30-2005, 05:54 PM
I hear this boat is making its way south?

Dave Sammons
06-30-2005, 07:16 PM
I hear this boat is making its way south?
Pat will be down here in Carlsbad on Saturday morning. Will post some detail shots of the classic 60's style marathon rigging before she gets pulled apart.
Dave

ColeTR2
08-31-2006, 06:56 PM
I stopped bye Billy B's today and all I have to say is WOW!! I can't wait to see this Nordskog in the water!

ancientmariner
11-25-2010, 03:01 PM
The Leprechaun is still alive, its sporting new colors and still has a tunnel port 427 Ford with a Art Carr turbo 400. The guy that purchased it runs a trucking company in the building next door to the previous owner. I did the trans install and replaced the built in fiberglass fuel tanks with polished aluminum tanks built by Vic Berry. The boat is still a head turner and just wicked fast.

Lorace
01-29-2013, 07:01 PM
I worked in the glass shop for nordskog I remember Ted well,He and Jim o'leary,Jim seabring,and Donovan were on the Shelby race Team before Nordskog.I buIlt the last hulls before Ihad to do uncle SAMs deal.I don't think any more we're made.I believe Jim O'Learys was the last (yellow one).