PDA

View Full Version : Does your trailer have a spare tire?

wantacat
05-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Just wondering how many of you guys have a spare tire. My old boat did not have one and neither does my new one. Reason why is because I got a flat yesterday on the way to Lake Elsinore. Luckily we arrived in time to drop of the boat in the water, and took the trailer to a near by tire shop for repair. Lesson learned, I need to by a spare rim/tire anyone know of any places in the OC?

AZKC
05-15-2005, 11:22 AM
We tow about 3-4 hours on some bad roads to get to one of our favorite lakes. I carry 2 spares for my tandem axle trailer, and yes I've used them both on the same trip :hammerhea You never know what you'll run over :220v:

spectras only
05-15-2005, 11:25 AM
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Dsc00767%20copy.2.jpg

riverbound
05-15-2005, 11:27 AM
My trailer has a spare. I was always taught "better to have and not need, then to need and not have"

Troubles No More
05-15-2005, 11:47 AM
For us it’s a 10-12 hour trip from home to Lake Powell and we try to have a spare for every vehicle & trailer. One year on the way to Lake Powell with friends, we had a flat tire on the truck, the boat trailer and the jet-ski trailer and we were traveling at night.
It’s better to have the spare and not need it then need it and not have it.
my.02

cc322
05-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Where are you located in OC? Americas tire in Mission Viejo is a great place ask for Tom

Throttle
05-15-2005, 12:40 PM
oh yeah, cheap insurance policy.
insures me from walkin! i hope!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-15-2005, 12:42 PM
We also carry two and have one at the trailer. My dad blew 3 tires on the way to the river one time. However, he was running carlisle (sp?) tires at the time. We left it on the side of the road, dropped our boat in and sacrificed the tires on our trailer to get his into Katherine. This was at 11 at night.
Yes, we always carry spares.

Filmwritin
05-15-2005, 12:48 PM
I went 12 years with my old boat and tandem without a spare and without a flat, but I kept it stored at the river and seldom towed it further than Hacasu. Got the new boat and trailer last August and, because I am hauling this one occasionally from Lala land to Parker, I made sure it had a spare. Voila, we had a flat first trip to Parker. I'm a believer. They should be required.

Dr. Eagle
05-15-2005, 12:51 PM
The Ultra has a spare tire tucked up under the trailer with a pickup truck mechanism to drop it down.
This is the first time I have ever had a spare, as with a tandem or tripple axle trailer all you really need is a length of chain and a shackle and a jack. I had a blowout on my tripple axle trailer and jacked the axle up and chained it up. Then I removed the blowout and threw it in the truck and towed it to a tire shop. As long as you are equipped this way, you won't end up walking. :idea:

Blacksheep
05-15-2005, 01:06 PM
My trailer has a spare...never had a boat and trailer without one...As someone said above "Cheap insurance and keeps ya from walkin!" :D

prop check
05-15-2005, 01:11 PM
It only takes one blow out near amboy to answer this question. I have gotten cheap spares at americas tire co. and at Mighty Mover Trailers in Corona about 100$ Good luck

77charger
05-15-2005, 01:16 PM
yup and i have used it on the way to powell.Got a blow out in baker.

hurleyr
05-15-2005, 01:58 PM
I blew 2 heading to Shasta last year. Replaced one on the way up then ran over a bolt on the launch ramp. Fortunately this was after we lanched so just had to road over the trailer to get new ones. Never had a flat prior to this trip.
Funny thing they were carlisle's too.

charlyox
05-15-2005, 02:08 PM
It only takes 1 time and you do not put yourself in that situation again. Some of us had those shitty Carlisle tires that Extreme was using. I got 3 blowouts and now I'm running Goodyear Marathons and no problem. It was a good thing I had a spare tire.

99 232 baja
05-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Went 6 years without a spare on my old boat, then went 1 year on the new boat. The day I bought a spare I traveled 200 miles and had a blowout, luck was on my side there. Now I carry 2.

wantacat
05-15-2005, 04:00 PM
I will check out americas tire company down the street. Thanks everyone!

Panic Button
05-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Have 2 on the trailer

termiteguy
05-15-2005, 04:55 PM
dont forget to carry extra wheel bearings they can go at any time as well :boxingguy :boxingguy :boxingguy

DEMOMAN
05-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Always have a spare, floor jack, tire iron and flares. At 100+ degrees you want those tire changes to be as fast as possible.

boater72
05-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Boat trailer always have a spare. Race car trailer we have three spares and have used all three one time. Also have a ramp we drive up on so we don't have to use jack. :cool:

Hal
05-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Wheel City in Corona will fix you up with a spare. Talk to Eddie or Robert.

Dusty Times
05-15-2005, 08:06 PM
I carry a spare tire and a spare hub with packed bearings, seal, and bearing buddy. I hate having problems on the way to relax.

Havasu Hangin'
05-15-2005, 08:07 PM
I carry a spare tire and a spare hub with packed bearings, seal, and bearing buddy. I hate having problems on the way to relax.
And a few beers to drink while you wait for the bad one to cool down?
:D

Kim Hanson
05-15-2005, 08:25 PM
No, I don't carry spares! Look at you tires and pack your bearings good...bearing buddys...really aren't !I lost one taking my boat to storage and the only thing that let me get there, was ice from the cooler...long trip for 20 miles at 10mph. I will try them again, just to see if they work better than packing them...but its the doing it thats the piece of mind towing...I have never had a flat on one of my trailers, from the RV to the boats...Lucky, I guess!.........( . )( . )..........

Dusty Times
05-15-2005, 08:34 PM
And a few beers to drink while you wait for the bad one to cool down?
:D
On the way home. All the beer was gone. Crew was tired and grumpy after a long holiday weekend.
Swore it would never take so long to get home again (or to the water)

Dr. Eagle
05-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Lucky, I guess!.........( . )( . )..........
Could have something to do with that long (4 week) boating season up there too... :p

Essex502
05-16-2005, 07:06 AM
You have to be a fool or nuts to trailer anything without a spare tire. Plus a jack, jackstands, 12V inflator, "spare tire in a can" and lug wrench. These are essential - no requirements - for towing even the smallest trailer.

Wicky
05-16-2005, 08:06 AM
dont forget to carry extra wheel bearings they can go at any time as well :boxingguy :boxingguy :boxingguy
I had to do an entire hub assembly on the side of the road last year.
I wish that I had brought RUBBER GLOVES with me to do the job.
I now carry a spare hub assembly and rubber gloves.

Mrs CP 19
05-16-2005, 08:58 AM
No spare, boat goes from garage to ramp to river. Many years ago, we had problems with the tires as they always looked inflated. Well, since the trailer tires were so many ply, they looked great but had zip for pressure! Wore the shit out of them on a long drive! Just stupid on our part...hubs were checked, everything else, but not pressure!!!

Dr. Eagle
05-16-2005, 12:50 PM
No spare, boat goes from garage to ramp to river. Many years ago, we had problems with the tires as they always looked inflated. Well, since the trailer tires were so many ply, they looked great but had zip for pressure! Wore the shit out of them on a long drive! Just stupid on our part...hubs were checked, everything else, but not pressure!!!
I got some of these little gems to keep a quick eyeball on the tire pressure:
Indicator Caps (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7974269162&category=33746)
Another option (http://store.yahoo.com/eagleday/vitiprin.html)