PDA

View Full Version : Rice Road - Red Dodge Ram

THOR
05-15-2005, 02:35 PM
If anyone knows a guy with a red Dodge Ram with a Hallett 270 sticker, tell him that he almost got me killed and was lucky he didnt roll his truck. Passing in a no pass zone and having to bail off into the ONCOMING shoulder is total bull$hit and he needs to slow his a$$ down.

Essex29
05-15-2005, 02:37 PM
f'in idiot...that crap happened to me a few weeks ago. :boxingguy

Bank Boy
05-15-2005, 02:46 PM
That is why I won't do Rice Rd anymore. I give up the 30 minutes for safety.

THOR
05-15-2005, 02:53 PM
I leave Havi at 7AM for a reason. It was all going fine until this prick didnt want to wait 12 seconds to pass me. What a f'n idiot.

Dr. Eagle
05-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Musta learned how to drive on the southern california freeways...
oh, wait a minute... :idea: :wink:

SCUBA STEVE
05-15-2005, 03:01 PM
That sucks man! Sure glad he didnt cause any damage.
I was coming home today too and this red honda accord was blowing by every one in the no pass lane. Fu*ken idiot.
BTW Where were you yesterday. Did I fail to see you? :confused:

THOR
05-15-2005, 03:03 PM
I was there SS. I waved to you when HDD said hello. I was standing right next to him.

Bre
05-15-2005, 03:18 PM
That was me... sorry :eek: :wink:
Sorry to hear that Thor.... glad your ok :)

PHX ATC
05-15-2005, 03:18 PM
That sucks man! Sure glad he didnt cause any damage.
I was coming home today too and this red honda accord was blowing by every one in the no pass lane. Fu*ken idiot.
BTW Where were you yesterday. Did I fail to see you? :confused:
Something the matter with me and my red Honda Accord passing your slow ass? :D :D
Just kidding....... :p

THOR
05-15-2005, 03:46 PM
I know what you drive.... :cool:

boxscore
05-15-2005, 04:10 PM
It's only 30 mins if you drive 80-90 in Rice Rd.
It's actually only about 15-20 mins slower thru Erinburg. I haven't driven Rice Rd in over two years. Fock the BS on Rice Rd

djunkie
05-15-2005, 04:12 PM
It's only 30 mins if you drive 80-90 in Rice Rd.
It's actually only about 15-20 mins slower thru Erinburg. I haven't driven Rice Rd in over two years. Fock the BS on Rice Rd
If I am going out there at night or on a friday I usually take the Ehrinburg way. If it is an off day when it is light out I'll go Rice Road. I've had a couple of close calls myself.

Holland
05-15-2005, 04:17 PM
I gave up rice road two years ago... After 3 trips in a row of watching rollover with ejections and beer cans... I quit that road. I know most of us dont do that crap... But I am not going to let the one a$$hole change my life or my kids lives.
Hope this guy figures it out before he kills someone.

THOR
05-15-2005, 05:00 PM
What are your thoughts on going through 29 Palms via Highway 62? I have tried that a couple of times but hate the f'n stop lights in town. Much safer though.
I think I will try going through Ehrenberg next time. :messedup:

racecar.hotshoe
05-15-2005, 05:02 PM
What are your thoughts on going through 29 Palms via Highway 62? I have tried that a couple of times but hate the f'n stop lights in town. Much safer though.
I go that way every time.I went that way today.... :D

Essex29
05-15-2005, 05:06 PM
I have wondered about that route...how about some details and directions.

franky
05-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Bre, that child is definetly YOU! Where is the little baret?

jbtrailerjim
05-15-2005, 06:05 PM
I always go through Ehrenberg. F*ck Rice Rd. Way too many morons in a big frickin hurry on that road. The extra 20-25 minutes is well worth it for my families safety.

SCUBA STEVE
05-15-2005, 06:55 PM
I was there SS. I waved to you when HDD said hello. I was standing right next to him.
Well I can't blame it on the beer because I had 5 the entire day. I guess I have to blame it on the eyes? :hammer2: :D

Phat Matt
05-15-2005, 09:34 PM
People seemed to be driving a little crazier this weekend. I saw alot of people passing in no passings zones going there and back. One guy passed me and a 18 wheeler going over the bridge at the Bill Williams River and stayed in the left lane around a left corner. You couldn't even see if anyone was coming!!!

THOR
05-16-2005, 06:34 AM
I am convinced that people are more ignorant than stupid. Probably an even mixture of both though. :hammerhea

SCUBA STEVE
05-16-2005, 08:43 AM
When going that way or through the CA 95. Watch your speeds! A lot of 55mph zones, drop to 35 back up to 55.
I see at least one cop each time I make a trip out there.
We used to go thre hwy 62, it was a good break to get food, gas, etc.

barbigrl
05-16-2005, 08:46 AM
I have wondered about that route...how about some details and directions.
After years of driving to the river..I just started going that way. I like it....stop lights do suck...but once your past them it is smooth sailing and not that many cars.... :)

Parker Dreamin
05-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Glad everything is okay... we left from Parker around 7pm last night and took Erinburg (or however you spell it) and it was a nice drive. I take this route everytime...safty first.

riverroyal
05-16-2005, 09:05 AM
yesterday about 5 to 6,it wasnt as bad as usual,i was driving 80,only passing when i could see miles ahead,after reading this thread I think im going back to ehrenberg,whats another 20 minutes,thats one pee stop,just hold it.

THOR
05-16-2005, 09:08 AM
After years of driving to the river..I just started going that way. I like it....stop lights do suck...but once your past them it is smooth sailing and not that many cars.... :)
Barbi is right. Once you get past the stop lights, you are home free. Good 'country' driving too. But, whatever you do, try to time the light at the bottom of the hill coming from Palm Springs. If you dont, you cant get a good run at the hill.

redi4fun
05-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Coming home from the river Sunday and passed a Tahoe or Sub that had rolled over and looks like it ejected a passenger. Passed the scene and saw a tarp covering some one on the side of the road about 30 ft from the truck. :frown:
Looks like someones river trip ended really bad. Really freaked the wife and myself out. Just hate to see something like that.

riverroyal
05-16-2005, 09:19 AM
on desert center?

redi4fun
05-16-2005, 09:22 AM
No sorry, this was on the 15 south right before the Lenwood exit.

Ziggy
05-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Sometimes Rice Road is worse than trying to navigate the channel on a holiday weekend.
I leave my heavy throttle foot at home and rarely drive beyond 75 anymore(no trailer). Give way to anyone wanting to pass and make it easier for them.
Patience!

payloan
05-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Can someone post the directions for the Ehrinberg route from O.C. to Parker please. I have to tell you Rice Road is the only way I have ever known I got to tell you I practically hold my breath the whole lenght of that road, it is really stressfull for me. Please post the directions thanks.

revpuffdaddy
05-16-2005, 10:42 AM
10 frwy east across the river at Blythe. First exit is Erenburg. Exit and go left over the frwy to the botom of the hill. Right at the stop sign. (Slow through town, 35MPH!) This road runs up through the C.R.I.T. Indian Reservation and will take you right into Parker, AZ.
MUCH SAFER then Desert Center / Rice road. Only 8 miles farther! Worth the extra for a much safer route.
Safe Travels!

Waldo
05-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Did you guys see that white F-150 with the mattress in the back of his truck passing people??
Oh yeah, that was me! I was safe about it though. Flew solo this weekend..what a booooooooring drive!

XtrmWakeborder
05-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Its funny because the only times i've been forced off the road by some idiot coming head on at head to pass was on the Ehrinberg road. Twice in one trip by different people. Its still way more kickback though, and alot of scenery.

goneboatin
05-16-2005, 10:57 AM
When I head to the river, I do the Rice Road thing, but I leave home at about 5:30am. When I hit Rice Road it's about 7:30, very empty. Very seldom do I even see anybody, usually a couple of blue hairs criusing at 55mph and slowing down for the dips. Now, Sunday evening is a different story, more people but if I can hit the road before 5:00pm, you can get ahead of all the yahoos that that have been drinking on the water all day.

WILDERTHANU
05-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Rice rd has always been the way it is. Its a heavy travled 2 lane hwy with people in a hurry to get to and from the river(often drinking and driving). I've driven it my whole life and seen some crazy shit. I go out almost every other wekend and once in a while I'll take 29 palms, I just did Friday morning. Its a breeze in the winter except for the trucks. If Im towing or tired Ill go Ehrenberg through the farm land. Can you believe I got busted for taking a leak a couple weeks on that road by a La Paz county Sheriff...lol. :rollside:

Parker Dreamin
05-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Rice rd has always been the way it is. Its a heavy travled 2 lane hwy with people in a hurry to get to and from the river. I've driven it my whole life and seen some crazy shit. I go out almost every other wekend and once in a while I'll take 29 palms, I just did Friday morning. Its a breeze in the winter except for the trucks. If Im towing or tired Ill go Ehrenberg through the farm land. Can you believe I got busted for taking a leak a couple weeks on that road by a La Paz county Sheriff...lol. :rollside:
That sucks.. at least that is the only ticket you got.....

Whipped Caliber
05-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Did you guys see that white F-150 with the mattress in the back of his truck passing people??
Oh yeah, that was me! I was safe about it though. Flew solo this weekend..what a booooooooring drive!
We did see you on 10 till we took off. I was tell the wife look at that guy running hard with mattress in the back. LMAF I was in the black F-250 with the op6 in the back window. Good job 70+ and still had the mattress!!! :eek:

Waldo
05-16-2005, 12:34 PM
We did see you on 10 till we took off. I was tell the wife look at that guy running hard with mattress in the back. LMAF I was in the black F-250 with the op6 in the back window. Good job 70+ and still had the mattress!!! :eek:
Ya, I strapped her down good. I was swapping out a Queen for a King. Ended bringing home a mattress too. :D
Is it a chrome OP6 sticker??? Thought it was but didn't get a good look.
BTW - Do you drive the 5 fwy (south OC) during the week somtimes?...I think I've seen your truck before.

Whipped Caliber
05-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Ya, I strapped her down good. I was swapping out a Queen for a King. Ended bringing home a mattress too. :D
Is it a chrome OP6 sticker??? Thought it was but didn't get a good look.
BTW - Do you drive the 5 fwy (south OC) during the week somtimes?...I think I've seen your truck before.
Yes and Yes Live in the OC drive alot, allso had a Paul Pfaff sticker as well.

NOTALENT
05-16-2005, 01:23 PM
Rice rd has always been the way it is. Its a heavy travled 2 lane hwy with people in a hurry to get to and from the river(often drinking and driving). I've driven it my whole life and seen some crazy shit. I go out almost every other wekend and once in a while I'll take 29 palms, I just did Friday morning. Its a breeze in the winter except for the trucks. If Im towing or tired Ill go Ehrenberg through the farm land. Can you believe I got busted for taking a leak a couple weeks on that road by a La Paz county Sheriff...lol. :rollside:
Arent they suppost to have a check point over there on rice road this year???

Essex29
05-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Barbi is right. Once you get past the stop lights, you are home free. Good 'country' driving too. But, whatever you do, try to time the light at the bottom of the hill coming from Palm Springs. If you dont, you cant get a good run at the hill.
What exit do you take off of the 10??

WILDERTHANU
05-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Arent they suppost to have a check point over there on rice road this year???
They would have them all the time when I was younger. CHP and SBCS would stop you right after you crossed the Hwy 95 stop sign @ Vidal Junction. If you were all shot out, they had a portable holding tank.... then its was off to needles.

djunkie
05-16-2005, 02:10 PM
They would have them all the time when I was younger. CHP and SBCS would stop you right after you crossed the Hwy 95 stop sign @ Vidal Junction. If you were all shot out, they had a portable holding tank.... then its was off to needles.
Been through that a few times. It's usually on the holiday weekends.

hotlavey
05-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Is the service station at Desert Center closed? If it is I will sure miss those restrooms.

WILDERTHANU
05-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Ya, but the girls just use Magoos now, bout two miles down the road. Ive always stoped there once and a while to help 'em stay in business.

THOR
05-16-2005, 03:08 PM
What exit do you take off of the 10??
Highway 62/29 Palms exit. Stay on Hwy 62 until is dead ends on Rice road. Hang a left on Rice Road to Parker, right to Desert Center.

BUSTI
05-16-2005, 03:19 PM
The Rice Road has provided a lot of River goers a false short cut since I started going to Parker in 1961. To prove my point that this Rice Road DOES NOT really save that much time my son and I left the A&W in Parker both at the exact same time last..........6 pm exactly. He took the Rice Road route. I took the Poston Road thru the CRIT Reservation(my standard route). Our plan was to meet at Chiraco Summit at the Fosters Freeze there.
He was towing the Sanger and I the new Spectra. As he was getting in line in side the Fosters Freeze for ice cream I rolled up 4 minutes behind him. I am sure he drove a lot faster than me. Hell 4 minutes is such a tiny marhin of time my son is now convinced the danger risk in using the Rice Road provides really zero advantage as a short cut. Really is less than 5 minutes really worth it?
Its Ehrenberg for me! The Rice Road is really only for those drivers that have been fooled into believing it REALLY is a short cut!
Thor I heard that Red Ram had a UNLV sticker on its rear window. :shift:

THOR
05-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Thor I heard that Red Ram had a UNLV sticker on its rear window. :shift:
FOCKER! The UNLV grads are stupid like me, not ignorant. That guy was a total idiot.

SCUBA STEVE
05-16-2005, 03:27 PM
Highway 62/29 Palms exit. Stay on Hwy 62 until is dead ends on Rice road. Hang a left on Rice Road to Parker, right to Desert Center.
When I used to go that way, I used to wonder what all those shacks were there for... anyone know? :confused: :rollside:

WILDERTHANU
05-16-2005, 03:34 PM
Ya, from what I understand tons of people picked up land for CHEAP out there... but the catch was you had to have a structure on it. Im not sure if it was for tax reasons or what.

SCUBA STEVE
05-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Ya, from what I understand tons of people picked up land for CHEAP out there... but the catch was you had to have a structure on it. Im not sure if it was for tax reasons or what.
So they put up a shack to let it rot? How do they seperate the land?
In any case one theory I heard that there is a secret base under there, and those shacks are there to cover the air vents. lol :D

BUSTI
05-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Scuba,
The Federal Homestead Act enables people to acquire Federal land for free provided the new owner builds a dwelling on the property that is permanent. This program was created to encourage land ownership. However it became a boon doggle in the CA desert areas. Primarily because people just built shacks never intending to live there and they just let the shacks rot. I know my family many years ago when I was a Yonker homesteaded 10 acres in Yucca Valley.
Thor I consider you and your family lucky not to have been killed.

TCHB
05-17-2005, 03:27 PM
We drive Rice Road at least twice a month and see stupid people passing when they can see on coming traffic. I am sure glad I am going the same direction as they crowd. I would never drive against the Friday night traffic on Rice.
Most of the time we see a accident is when someone went off the road and flipped in the dirt. I guess they just fall asleep or have a tire problem.

Huckleberry
05-17-2005, 05:02 PM
10 frwy east across the river at Blythe. First exit is Erenburg. Exit and go left over the frwy to the botom of the hill. Right at the stop sign. (Slow through town, 35MPH!) This road runs up through the C.R.I.T. Indian Reservation and will take you right into Parker, AZ.
MUCH SAFER then Desert Center / Rice road. Only 8 miles farther! Worth the extra for a much safer route.
Safe Travels!
Is this the exit that has the Flying J truck stop also?

PHOTOGLOU
05-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Is this the exit that has the Flying J truck stop also?
yes

Bense468
05-17-2005, 05:24 PM
Geoff...Its time for a new sticker on your truck ;).