PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Be A Stand Up Guy

a catered life
05-17-2005, 06:44 AM
i have to admit it since i have been a board member my eyes are open more to fellow boaters on the road i find myself stopping to help people in need more often than before but this past friday really may change my mind..............me and the lady are going home friday and we are on pearblossom(for those who dont know its a really fast moving road in palmdale with high traffic and one stop sign) i see this old couple towing a boat broken down on the side of the road. i look at the wifey and she says "go ahead and turn around i know you want to" so i bus a u-turn in high traffic to check on these two...as i drove past them to make a second u-turn and pull behind them i notice that their trailer is compeltely on the ground :frown:.........i pull behind their boat and see the woman of the two and begin to get our of the van and she begins to give me some real nasty looks.....i look back at my girl and she says to me "she's not going to be friendly" i say back to her "its cool i just want to make sure they got help and if not i will see what i can do to help". as i walk up to the trailer i announce my self a ad ask if they needed some help.........a older gentleman comes from behind the truck and before he can get one word out his mouth his wife says "we dont need any assistance"..wtf :yuk: i look back at the guy and hes looking at me almost ready to crap in his pants and i say to him are you sure and he says "the trailer just jumped off, we had the wrong ball on we need a 2" ball" i say to him that "this is a pretty sucky area to be broken down in but you are welcome to use my ball and move to a more secure area off this busy street" he says "we cant get the trailer up without a floor jack" and i reply "i only live 10 minute away and i got one if you want it" the wife jumps in again and says "we called our daughter and she will come" then the father says "but she coming from the other side of canyon country" and the wife cuts him off and says "we will be ok" so i say "ok' and leave
two hours later i see these two still sitting on the side of the raod waiting so i think what a butthole she was
the question to my story is i hate to play the race card but i must ask this
does it matter what color you assistance is if their there to help you?
i ask this question because the attitude the wife had with me and her body motions were very nastyand i hate to think my color was the problem? :confused:

Phat Daddy
05-17-2005, 06:52 AM
Don't let this change your ways. Some people are just A#$holes. You did the right thing by stopping and trying to help.

bunny 166
05-17-2005, 06:54 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that you met some SHITTY people....no excuse for being rude to anyone who's stopped to help you!!! I hope it wasn't your race, but some people are still in another era, especially if they're older.....so sorry it happened to you, hun--I would have been so glad to see a friendly face ;) ;) Try not to take it personally, but I know that's coming from a white blondie who doesn't deal with too much of that stuff..... (except being called a dumb blond... :D )

dicudmore
05-17-2005, 06:55 AM
sounds like they were just a-holes to me Willie :mad:

lucky
05-17-2005, 06:56 AM
you know that guy wanted to tell his wife to stfup :) :messedup: dam pussy always gets in the way

a catered life
05-17-2005, 06:57 AM
What color are you?
lets just say well tanned all over ;)

Schiada76
05-17-2005, 07:00 AM
AHH You must be white too. I've tried to help black people before and they have totally fcked me!
JK
Some people are just as sholes.

racecar.hotshoe
05-17-2005, 07:00 AM
What you did was the right thing to do.You also need to remember there are a lot of bad people out there and you just dont know who you can trust anymore.Just do what you do and be yourself...... :D

gnarley
05-17-2005, 07:01 AM
A catered life, you are a stand up guy. There is plenty of prejudice around and some people would rather burn in the desert than take assistance from others who are different than them. Kudos to you for trying to help those in need, it’s a better place with you, you tried.

riverbound
05-17-2005, 07:03 AM
Black people boat :confused: :confused:
j/k
It sounds like they were just assholes and they deserved to sit there on the side of the road for hours. I hope that if I break down on the side of the road someday, somebody like you would stop to help. You did the right thing by stopping. Keep it up :D

Stealth Marine
05-17-2005, 07:03 AM
i ask this question because the attitude the wife had with me and her body motions were very nastyand i hate to think my color was the problem? :confused:
There are people among us who when caught on a sinking ship will first deny that it is sinking, and when confronted with the fact that the water is up to their waiste, then will still refuse the offer of a life preserver.
You just found one of the idots that Darwin is still working on getting out of our collective gene pool.

JetBoatRich
05-17-2005, 07:06 AM
Willie, you did the right thing :supp: you just never know sometimes about people.
They should have felt lucky somebody stopped to help and they would have been on their way :jawdrop:

a catered life
05-17-2005, 07:07 AM
Did you roll up in your Escalade with 50 Cent pounding? :D
Freakin' azzholes, just a simple thanks or no thanks will do.
funny we were in the (i know i will get shiat for this one) :frown: astro van listening to tom.......i wont let one a-hole compeletly stop me helping others but you have to think it will be in the back of my mind the next ime i want to stop :confused:

a catered life
05-17-2005, 07:08 AM
There are people among us who when caught on a sinking ship will first deny that it is sinking, and when confronted with the fact that the water is up to their waiste, then will still refuse the offer of a life preserver.
You just found one of the idots that Darwin is still working on getting out of our collective gene pool.
well put :D

MagicMtnDan
05-17-2005, 07:09 AM
Kudos to you and your wife for doing the right thing.
It's rare to be "greeted" in such an unwelcoming manner - don't let it get you down. :smile:

OutCole'd
05-17-2005, 07:11 AM
A catered life, you are a stand up guy. There is plenty of prejudice around and some people would rather burn in the desert than take assistance from others who are different than them. Kudos to you for trying to help those in need, it’s a better place with you, you tried.
Well said.
Hats off to you A Catered Life.

Havasu Hangin'
05-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Don't let this change your ways. Some people are just A#$holes. You did the right thing by stopping and trying to help.
Exactly.
Idiot people come in all races...

phebus
05-17-2005, 07:15 AM
Was your zipper down? You might have scared them! :2purples:

Mrs CP 19
05-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Wow, I hope if I am ever stuck, someone like you will be there!!! Race has nothing to do with anything in my opinion! I would just assume the woman controlling and wanted things her way, even if it meant her suffering!!!! You went above and beyond, and thanks from those of us who would welcome your help!! Jill

a catered life
05-17-2005, 07:19 AM
lmao you know i did feel a breeze ;)

cole13
05-17-2005, 07:21 AM
catered life, I re-read the post just to make sure that I was reading right. First let me say that color has nothing to do with it. None of us were there so it is hard to say what we would have done. But think of it from thier standpoint. Stranded in the middle of the desert, basically helpless. (Knowing you hear bad stories of some stranger coming up to asking to help then cuts you up and throws you in the desert, I know a little irrationale but it does happen)
The guy is afraid to admit that he is scared, knowing that he can not get him and his wife out of this situation, so a common reaction to this is to be defensive. I am a big guy and I would be intimidated in a situation like this. Being stranded and helpless is a scary situation.
I know that you were trying to help and that is a really cool thing, really cool. But you have to look at from both sides to really understand the situation.
Please if you ever see me on the side of the road, announce that you are from Hot Boat and would like to help. This would put me at ease. JMHO!

Freak
05-17-2005, 07:23 AM
two hours later i see these two still sitting on the side of the raod waiting so i think what a butthole she was :confused:
You shoulda honked like crazy when you drove past the second time. Mabey the old guy woulda said something to the old bag. Dont take it personal. I have found older people sometimes get in a "protection mode" cause they feel vulnerable.

Tom Brown
If that was the problem, the joke is on them.
Maybe she thought your ball was going to be too big and stretch out her coupler?

boater72
Exactly.
Idiot people come in all races...
Sad but well said!

ITS ALL GOOD
05-17-2005, 07:34 AM
Don't let them get to you , some people were just born assholes, one of the great things about being part of the boating family is that we know we can count on each other when we are time of need. You did your part if she wasn't willing to accept then screw her.

Biglue
05-17-2005, 07:40 AM
Don't worry about that crap. There is a very "outdated" group of people in that area off of Pearlblossom Hwy. I experienced something similar several years ago at a diner in the area. Your intentions were good, with their actions all it did is prolong their situation. Not everyone will be receptive to the rest of the world these days. It's a shame.

Tom Brown
05-17-2005, 07:51 AM
If you take a step back... while A Catered Life may have received some needless disrespect, at the end of the day, he was the cool guy and these other two people were stuck in the desert. The people stuck in the desert are the losers in this story, not ACL... his part in this was first class.
If I were stuck in the middle of the desert, I'd gladly accept help from anyone... even HH, if there were no alternatives.

LHC30Victory
05-17-2005, 07:55 AM
ACL - You and you wife did the right and honorable thing. Boating Karma extends to off the water as well so keep it up.
Sorry you seemed to have found the attitude dinosaurs :idea:

Rev. Williams
05-17-2005, 08:22 AM
You know it wasn't the color Willie.......
I bet the old man was just scurd you'd eat him !!! :D :D :D
Keep on Paying it Forward !

Mike.A
05-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Class Act.
I wish you were arround 2 years ago when I lost my driver side wheel with the camper on. Sat for 6 hours waiting for a freind to find lugs in town. I sat on the side of the freeway and watched other campers & boaters just fly by.
I made a comment on a camping forum about it and got flamed because nobody trust anybody anymore. Keep up the good, we need more people like you and your misses.

redi4fun
05-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Was your zipper down? You might have scared them! :2purples:
Phebus,
You f*cken kill me sometimes with your wit. I look forward to placing a face with the name someday. :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-17-2005, 08:35 AM
That is really sad.
I'd lay $$ down it was due to your skin color. I feel that most prejudiced reactions in cases like this are due to fear out of lack of exposure to other races and cultures. Those idiots would rather sit in the desert heat for hours than take the aid of someone that looks different than they do. That is not only stupid, but sad. :hammerhea I feel bad for their ignorance.
I hope you do not let that dissuade you from helping others in the future. I have a feeling it won't.

NashvilleBound
05-17-2005, 08:41 AM
LOL...Sorry to hear of your bad encounter....dont let it stop you from helping anyone. I stop for everyone...race is not a factor...helping your fellow boater is.... (man I'm getting sentimental in my old age :notam: :notam: :notam: )

No Regrets
05-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Lucky! It takes me all summer to get my white ass a nice shade of red. :cool:
You did the right thing, We travel that road all the time and some of those desert dwellers have been cookin too much meth.

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-17-2005, 09:00 AM
Keep on Paying it Forward !
Good way to live life!

Tom Brown
05-17-2005, 09:05 AM
I feel that most prejudiced reactions in cases like this are due to fear out of lack of exposure to other races and cultures.
Well said, MMSW. ACL has planted a very positive seed here. These people had plenty of time to think about the cost and realities of their closed minds. It would be interesting to know if they were able to maintain their bigotry in the face of this level of class. Of course, it might not have been a racial issue. Maybe these people were just complete morons. :D

UltraStealth
05-17-2005, 09:10 AM
I had a similar situation happen to us on Pearblossom as well. The tongue on the trailer had snapped and was hanging by a thin piece of metal, and it locked up the brakes. We were bitter because we thought the trip was over. Luckily someone that lived in the neighborhood had stopped and the guy was a welder. He needed help with loading the welding machine on the truck. So my dad and I went back helped him load it, came back to the boat and he welded the trailer tongue back together for us. He was going to do all this for free. I ended up giving him $300 for fixing it.

Sherpa
05-17-2005, 09:24 AM
you were a stand-up guy for stopping and offering to help..... kudo's to you.
she must have just been in a bitchy mood... or, she was the one who picked
out which trailer ball they used.! and didn't want to loose face over that to
a stranger........
--I've stopped for older folks when they've broke down too. some like the
help, some seem almost annoyed to tried to talk to them................
--Sherpa

dirty old man
05-17-2005, 09:30 AM
I'm the old guy who stops to help you young people when you get yourselves in trouble, but I don't care if you are green or purple. Used to run the Pearblossom highway (Death Row) for years, glad thats behind me, its a terrible place to break down. It was one of the featured, dangerous highways on last Sundays NBC documentary

CrazyHippy
05-17-2005, 09:33 AM
If it was me stuck on the side of the road, w/ something I was capable of fixing solo, or had help on the way, i probably would have turned the help down too. Would have thanked you for stopping but fixed my f-up on my own.
My reasoning is that I should not be troubling someone else (ruining your evening, clothes, whatever) over my mistake.
I'm a bit thickheaded, but i'd ratehr work twice as hard and do it myself than have someone else help.
BJH

Scream
05-17-2005, 09:44 AM
ACL, you did what most of us would do and it was the right thing, you can be sure. It is odd how people judge others because of thier apprearance, thier tatts, skin color, teeth (or lack thereof), hair, dress, speach...The most important part of people cannot be injected with botox or accentuated with silicone, it's the soul that really counts. That woman was just unable to see it, and that's her loss.
On the way back from Havi this weekend, we got a blow out on the boat trailer. Right Rear tire made a big mess. I had a spare but no tools...(until next weekend that is) so I pulled off the fwy and parked on the shoulder of the offramp. I called the Auto club since were covered and that was no prob, but of all the people to drive by the only ones that offered any assistance were fellow boaters. About 25 cars and trucks went by but only one boater, and they stopped to see if we needed anything, help, tools, water, anything.
Boaters are pretty cool people I must say. Like was said before, Pay it forward. You're carma will come back to ya.
Scream

Devilman
05-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Maybe I suffer from "smalltown syndrome" or something.... I've offered help to people before & most of the time I get a "No thanks! We've got it covered, thank you anyway" type of deal. That's cool with me. Every now & then it's the other kind of deal. I don't let it bother me, just sad to see so many people with such crappy attitudes too wrapped up in their own shit to give a damn. Whatever, what goes around comes around, if you will... :D Just sux that kind of crap goes on still.....

Throttle
05-17-2005, 10:37 AM
you did the right thing, I would be STOKED to see ya if I was sittin there busted down or something.

Jetboatguru
05-17-2005, 10:49 AM
reading this thread I can't help but think about "Airplane" when the old lady comes up to the Flight attendant and says, "Excuse me, but I speak jive"
:p
Catered life,
it takes a lot just to stop and turn around to go back to help someone. Way cool of you. Sorry that the freaking Hillbillys acted the way they did.

MudPumper
05-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Maybe she thought your ball was going to be too big and stretch out her coupler?
I can't believe you guys were going to let this one slide by. Hilarious I tell ya. Good for you being the better person ACL. Sounds to me like this guy should have left his **** of a wife on the side of the road. ;)

MudPumper
05-17-2005, 10:54 AM
reading this thread I can't help but think about "Airplane" when the old lady comes up to the Flight attendant and says, "Excuse me, but I speak jive"
:p
Or in Blazing Saddles when the old lady brings the pie to the Sheriffs station and says, "Sorry about the Up Yours Nigger." And then comes back and says,"I hope you'll have the decency to not tell anyone we had this conversation."

WYRD
05-17-2005, 10:59 AM
From the looks of your avatar you look white with red stripes :D Don't sweat it some people are just Arrogant Azzholes, but most are not. you did all you could and they did not want to accept the help.

Captain Dan
05-17-2005, 11:03 AM
you did the right thing, I would be STOKED to see ya if I was sittin there busted down or something.
I second that - it's easy to become disillusioned with the few people that don't appreciate your kindness, but don't stop doing what you think is best. That would put you closer to being one of them, which you obviously are not.
Keep doing the right thing, no matter what.

Troubles No More
05-17-2005, 11:34 AM
A Catered Life
You are aware that there are people in the world that need help and you want to help them but all you can do is to offer to lend a hand and it’s up to them to grab hold.
It’s obvious that they or she saw something with her eyes different then someone try to help. You did the right thing and I would hope that you do not stop doing the right thing because good deeds are important to us all.
I believe in guardian angels, I believe when you are at the end of your rope, stop & hang on, look around and you will find an angle there to help you. You just need to look past the person appearance, size or shape....My .02

AirtimeLavey
05-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Yeah, what he said....joke's on the fool that was still out there 2 hours later!!! :hammerhea
It's all about your own integrity... :cool:

a catered life
05-18-2005, 07:32 PM
dam if i ever wondered how cool fellow boaters are you all have answered my questions. thanks for the kind comments and i agree with all of you. life is full of different people (assholes) but i dont have to change what i am because one rubbed me the wrong way.
i will continue to stop and help my fellow boaters cause i know i would want some one to help me if and when i need it :rollside:

Mrs.Racer277
05-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Hey sweetie. Don't let one biatch get ya down. Way to go on going out of your way to help. You guys are the greatest. :D :D

locogringo
05-18-2005, 07:47 PM
i have to admit it since i have been a board member my eyes are open more to fellow boaters on the road i find myself stopping to help people in need more often than before but this past friday really may change my mind..............me and the lady are going home friday and we are on pearblossom(for those who dont know its a really fast moving road in palmdale with high traffic and one stop sign) i see this old couple towing a boat broken down on the side of the road. i look at the wifey and she says "go ahead and turn around i know you want to" so i bus a u-turn in high traffic to check on these two...as i drove past them to make a second u-turn and pull behind them i notice that their trailer is compeltely on the ground :frown:.........i pull behind their boat and see the woman of the two and begin to get our of the van and she begins to give me some real nasty looks.....i look back at my girl and she says to me "she's not going to be friendly" i say back to her "its cool i just want to make sure they got help and if not i will see what i can do to help". as i walk up to the trailer i announce my self a ad ask if they needed some help.........a older gentleman comes from behind the truck and before he can get one word out his mouth his wife says "we dont need any assistance"..wtf :yuk: i look back at the guy and hes looking at me almost ready to crap in his pants and i say to him are you sure and he says "the trailer just jumped off, we had the wrong ball on we need a 2" ball" i say to him that "this is a pretty sucky area to be broken down in but you are welcome to use my ball and move to a more secure area off this busy street" he says "we cant get the trailer up without a floor jack" and i reply "i only live 10 minute away and i got one if you want it" the wife jumps in again and says "we called our daughter and she will come" then the father says "but she coming from the other side of canyon country" and the wife cuts him off and says "we will be ok" so i say "ok' and leave
two hours later i see these two still sitting on the side of the raod waiting so i think what a butthole she was
you are the type of person that makes civility and laws of decency what they should be for everyone. Don't give that up for just one pie-hole biatch! Tell her next time to respect authority and if she can't you'll stick it in her! All kidding aside, you are a stand up person for doing that and I applaud you for it. If it were me, I'd offer to paint myself any color you thought appropriate if you thought I was being racist at all! LOL
Keep your ways the way they are!

a catered life
05-18-2005, 07:48 PM
thanks babe....... :wink:to be cool you have to know cool couples like you two :)

coolchange
05-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Pearblossom highway with a 2" boat on a 1 7/8 ball? Should have burned that focker right there! That stretch isnt bad enough with out them duimb asses?
Now I gotta worry about head ons with loose boats? Trust me, you weren't dealing with the real boating public. ( I HOPE)

a catered life
05-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Pearblossom highway with a 2" boat on a 1 7/8 ball? Should have burned that focker right there! That stretch isnt bad enough with out them duimb asses?
Now I gotta worry about head ons with loose boats? Trust me, you weren't dealing with the real boating public. ( I HOPE)
didn't think about it that way :confused: but you 100% right thank god he had the chains on good and tight that would have been a nasty accident :frown:

Racer277
05-18-2005, 07:58 PM
funny we were listening to tom.......
Willie, that sucks, but if you were listening to Tom Lykus, Dia would act exactly the same way! :eek:
FWIW, I've pulled up to people to help (when I had my streetbike), and had people act very similiar. Whatever, their loss!
I too think you should have honked when you went past!
Funny story:
One of my co-workers was in Oakland and asked a couple guys at a gas station for directions.
They asked if that was his truck, he said yeah.
They said "Go F Yourself!"
He scratched his head and walked back to his truck. He said later he realized he had his "#1 Redskins Fan" license plate on the truck. :hammerhea

SoCal_fun
05-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Willie,
You've gotten lots of great responses and I'll just add that you def. did the right thing!! I hope someone with your class see's me out there if I'm broken down on the side of the road with my family.
It'll come back to you (Karma), I believe that. :D

moneypit
05-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Karma...

bigkatboat
05-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Willie, I am very thankfull that you and your wife didn't pull up on some "maniacs" that would do YOU HARM! Often we drive the open roads with only 'good thoughts' for those around us on the road, because we know how awfull a problem can be. Those who choose, which people that can and cannot help, will NEVER BE HELPED! Those people have never understood that safety/ life, is a HUMAN THING, not a selfish thing, not a money thing. You went to help PEOPLE IN NEED, and they/she refused your act of kindness. I guess that I am simple minded, but I don't understand how anyone can "deal with" rather than "interact with" other people. The 'incident' that you have endured shows us that those people have a very low value on safety and human life. They (both) agreed to use a 1 7/8" ball on a 2" hitch, and the husband did not disagree with his wife durring your interaction at the accident site. You sir (and your wife) are a ray of sunlight on the "less than safe" lives of the people you tried to help. On the water, on the roads, at work: We all breath the air, We all bleed when cut, We all seek enlightenment, We all seek life. Why must some of us close our eyes to the those facts?

WYRD
05-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Hey sweetie. Don't let one biatch get ya down. Way to go on going out of your way to help. You guys are the greatest. :D :D
Funny thing Dia, I used the same bit of advice on some of the women I have dated :crossx: :crossx:
Hey willie don't sweat this azzhole you are a Hot Boater and stopping to help is what Hot Boaters do, that is what make all the difference :wink: