PDA

View Full Version : Boat Suggestions...

Lake Ape
05-17-2005, 09:53 PM
First thanks for all the information on Cheetah Boats, it was greatly appreciated!
Thanks a lot everyone! That was what I was looking for. Basically my situation is this, I make decent money but since I build houses I usually have it all tied up in my next project (spec home). I have great credit though. I don't want to do a home equity loan or a LIBOR loan or I would just buy Jordy's Schiada. I want a low payment and want to put down the minium amount possible so the boat has to sell for somewhere around the book value which is very difficult to find. I almost had that Eliminator Daytona bought but by the time I had the financing all put together the guy sold it the day I was going to pick it up hours before I got there. I just want a nice quality boat that I can have fun on the lake and tow a tube or skier and still get some decent speed out of it. I won't being goint to Mead but I will go to Havasu, Powell, Pleasant and the River so a flat bottom is out of the question, LOL. I have the loan set up now for about $26K. Any suggestions would be great, but the boat has to be around book value for it work.
Thanks,
Lake Ape!

bigq
05-17-2005, 10:05 PM
First thanks for all the information on Cheetah Boats, it was greatly appreciated!
Thanks a lot everyone! That was what I was looking for. Basically my situation is this, I make decent money but since I build houses I usually have it all tied up in my next project (spec home). I have great credit though. I don't want to do a home equity loan or a LIBOR loan or I would just buy Jordy's Schiada. I want a low payment and want to put down the minium amount possible so the boat has to sell for somewhere around the book value which is very difficult to find. I almost had that Eliminator Daytona bought but by the time I had the financing all put together the guy sold it the day I was going to pick it up hours before I got there. I just want a nice quality boat that I can have fun on the lake and tow a tube or skier and still get some decent speed out of it. I won't being goint to Mead but I will go to Havasu, Powell, Pleasant and the River so a flat bottom is out of the question, LOL. I have the loan set up now for about $26K. Any suggestions would be great, but the boat has to be around book value for it work.
Thanks,
Lake Ape!
Howard 22, Nordic 25 Scandia, Caliber 1 23, Ultra 23XS
I think Keith at conquest has a clean 22', but I would guess it more then 26k.
Good Luck

Roman 1
05-17-2005, 10:19 PM
I won't being goint to Mead but I will go to Havasu, Powell, Pleasant and the River so a flat bottom is out of the question, LOL. .
Thanks,
Lake Ape!
I boat on Havasu, Mead, Mojave, Pleasant, the river and Tahoe (with a flatbottom...), you can be a sheep in the crowd with a yuppie boat or grow a pair and get a custom flatbottom (no 2 are the same).
How many people on here ride a rigid frame Harley? The flatbottom is the liquid equivilant but quicker & faster. like the rigid, a flatbottom seperates the men from the yuppies.
Happy Hunting whatever you get :sleeping:
Romanator 1 :cool: !

Goodtime$
05-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Do yourself a favor..if you buy something cheap you end up pooring $Kkkksss into it to keep the bad boy floating...get something that is worth the money.
buy it nice or buy it twice!!!!
22 howard
21 Hallett
23 Ultra
some advantages etc nordics..anything that will handle rough stuff will keep the females happy...buy now before all the good inventory gets bought up....cheers have FUN

dmontzsta
05-17-2005, 11:23 PM
I boat on Havasu, Mead, Mojave, Pleasant, the river and Tahoe (with a flatbottom...), you can be a sheep in the crowd with a yuppie boat or grow a pair and get a custom flatbottom (no 2 are the same).
How many people on here ride a rigid frame Harley? The flatbottom is the liquid equivilant but quicker & faster. like the rigid, a flatbottom seperates the men from the yuppies.
I would like to add a +1 to this. :D

Goodtime$
05-18-2005, 10:08 AM
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/3/76445863.htm
this boat has been for sale for a while...if you like it, low ball the price..cheers

dmontzsta
05-18-2005, 11:19 AM
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/3/76445863.htm
this boat has been for sale for a while...if you like it, low ball the price..cheers
nice boat, too bad it wasnt a V-DRIVE. ;)

Biglue
05-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Someone posted buying a regular runabout. It would not be such a bad idea for the money you want to spend. You will at least be able to buy one of the nicer more recent ones. I own what is now my 2nd boat. I went from 20 to 26 ft and spent twice the money. There is a huge difference between the two on the water. The other thing is going used. Once you buy new you will be doing nothing but taking a hit inthe pocket. Both my boats have been used and have had good luck. Just my opinion. I had to make that choice with the first one I bought.

Lake Ape
05-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Anyone see the new classified ad for the the Schiada Copy?
1988 24'
Sister boat to the famous Schiada 24' "Ringleader", this boat comes complete with a 540 Bulldog, Silent Choice Exhaust, Newer Interior & Carpet, Teak Swim Step, Bimini Top, Bravo 1, Custom Tri-Axle Trailer, Custom Cover, Beautiful Ride.
$ 24,500.00 OBO
Call (626) 744-3009 ext | E-Mail Seller | Listing Date:May-17-05
http://www.***boat.com/classifieds/ads/images/1080_1.jpg
What do you all think of this?

Goodtime$
05-18-2005, 01:15 PM
my last boats were older Eliminators and anything older you have to poor money into. than i bought a new boat, but if i had to go back. I would just look for a good condition Hallett or Howard. no disrespect to other builders, every boat is perfect for someone but these two seem to outlast time better than most. Granted its no schiada, but the Vectors are fun....
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/7/79367957.htm
cash talks....make it happen, first round of beers is on me on the water..best of luck, buy something you can keep, get parts for and know people can help you out on the history and hull work etc, be prepaired for everything and you will be happier.....

dicudmore
05-18-2005, 01:23 PM
my last boats were older Eliminators and anything older you have to poor money into. than i bought a new boat, but if i had to go back. I would just look for a good condition Hallett or Howard. no disrespect to other builders, every boat is perfect for someone but these two seem to outlast time better than most. Granted its no schiada, but the Vectors are fun....
cash talks....make it happen, first round of beers is on me on the water..best of luck, buy something you can keep, get parts for and know people can help you out on the history and hull work etc, be prepaired for everything and you will be happier.....
I second that...the Vector is an AWESOME boat :cool:

Tom Brown
05-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Lake Ape, before you take advice from Roman 1, you should be aware that he runs a boat rental and bait shop with the only boat for rent being his flat. I'm pretty sure he finances the business with money he made from heading the Apollo space program and inventing the internal combustion engine.

Lake Ape
05-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Hey Tom,
Ever hear of that boat or the guy who splashed it in the above photo?
This is the info that I got:
Don Heydon of Pat's Fiberglass in Upland, CA built the boat. They built 3 off of the Ringleader, went to the LA Boat Show and got subpoened by Schiada for copying their boat. So, the 3 were all that were built

Lake Ape
05-18-2005, 01:36 PM
If I had only gotten to the eliminator a couple of hours earlier, I would be in a sweet Daytona right now!

Jordy
05-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Don Heydon of Pat's Fiberglass in Upland, CA built the boat. They built 3 off of the Ringleader, went to the LA Boat Show and got subpoened by Schiada for copying their boat. So, the 3 were all that were built
Something like that will be hard to finance as well as it won't show up in NADA. Hell, my Riviera jet doesn't show up there either. Unfortunately, as far off as some of the NADA values are, that's all the boat loan places will go off of, as you have found out. ;)

Lake Ape
05-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Something like that will be hard to finance as well as it won't show up in NADA. Hell, my Riviera jet doesn't show up there either. Unfortunately, as far off as some of the NADA values are, that's all the boat loan places will go off of, as you have found out. ;)
I have almost got Melissa to do regression on your boat Jordy according to NADA:
Year Low High Change
'81 TOTAL PRICE $31,960 $38,500
'82 $33,630 $40,520 $2,020
'83 $35,400 $42,650 $2,130
'84 $37,260 $44,890 $2,240
From the above the price decreases by about $2,020 each year but the decrease lessens each year by $110.
So if you do this to your '76 I come up with this!
'81 $38,500
'80 $36,590
'79 $34,790
'78 $33,100
'77 $31,510
'76 $30,020

Jordy
05-18-2005, 02:03 PM
I have almost got Melissa to do regression on your boat Jordy according to NADA:
Tell her to do that and hook you up and I'll be calling her for a loan when I'm ready after this one sells, so it's a win, win, win situation. ;)

dicudmore
05-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Tell her to do that and hook you up and I'll be calling her for a loan when I'm ready after this one sells, so it's a win, win, win situation. ;)
sounds like a winner :D

surfer2001
05-18-2005, 02:19 PM
No disrespect to the flat bottom guys, but if you like to keep your filling in your teeth stay away from that type of boat. Havasu is rough most of the time; go for a smooth riding hull, especially if you will be taking females.
It’s not fun listing to the bitching, “slow down it’s too ruff”.
Deep-Vee hulls 25’ and above work really good.
There are lots of good used boats out there now in your price range.
Make sure it has plenty of power, under powered boat don’t sell.
I’d also go with a stern drive, jets are not popular anymore, jets don’t turn unless you’ve got the power on, and they burn a ton gas.

dmontzsta
05-18-2005, 02:28 PM
No disrespect to the flat bottom guys, but if you like to keep your filling in your teeth stay away from that type of boat. Havasu is rough most of the time; go for a smooth riding hull, especially if you will be taking females.
Deep-Vee hulls 25’ and above work really good.
There are lots of good used boats out there now in your price range.
Make sure it has plenty of power, under powered boat don’t sell.
I’d also go with a stern drive, jets are not popular anymore, jets don’t turn unless you’ve got the power on, and they burn a ton gas.
no offense taken. :lightsabe

Keith E. Sayre
05-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Being a Schiada owner, I say go for Jordy's boat. the 21' V drive with a little
bit of power is the funnest boat that I've ever driven. It'll take rough water
that will scare people to death the first time they're in it. then once they're
used to it, you won't ever be able to scare them. It's a very confidence
inspiring boat. They'll run over 100 mph in waist high chop and put a smile
on your face! OK if Jordy's boat doesn't work, the 24' Schiada would also
be a great boat and your wife will like it better. I've seen 24' Schiadas go
through water most 28 and 29's wouldn't dare to deal with. It's a wonderful
bottom but does take a bit of hp to make it run hard. I sound like a Schiada
salesman. (actually I am not, just a big fan).The 24' boat in that photo used to belong to Lynn Singleton who is a contractor here in Lake Havasu City.
When it was sold about 7 years ago, it was in great shape.
In reference to Big G's comment about me having a 22Howard for sale. I do.
I have a 95 Howard 22' Offshore open bow for $30,000, 502 Mag, extremely
clean boat, loaded with all the options.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400

Sportin' Wood
05-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Here's two cents for ya,
I have been running the same boat for 7 years, I have slowly dumped money into it over the 7 years I paid a reasonable amount and am sure I can at least get my money out that I paid for the purchase.
like it was said above if you are gonna buy used, you better get a good hull.
I went with a late 70's Hallett. Great timeless boat. It eats gas, but I have run it from below parker to as far up as mead. paid cash so when it sits big deal.
I'm now looking to up grade to a bigger boat so I am doing research as we speak. Looking to pay cash again, and buy something I can get out of if I need to. I am in the const. biz as well so I am always looking for the down turn. I found that if I'm not dumping coin on interest I like my boat alot better. Nothing worse then a payment on something you don't have time to use.
For what its worth.... good luck.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-18-2005, 03:02 PM
:eek:
note: this is not meant to imply our Hallett is for sale :D

hallett 260
05-18-2005, 03:03 PM
This Vector is my buddies boat. I can testify that it is in great cond. He has maintained it perfectly. It rides incredible. Does an honest 70 with a 454 mag. I thought of buying it just for how much fun it is. He just bought a house so make him a deal.
Zach

Jordy
05-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Being a Schiada owner, I say go for Jordy's boat.
Hey, I like that idea. Thanks Keith. ;) :D

Squirtin Thunder
05-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Sure it is !!!!

Sportin' Wood
05-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Sure it is !!!!
Naw, I'm gonna keep her or awhile. I don't want to have to change my user name. :wink:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Naw, I'm gonna keep her or awhile. I don't want to have to change my user name. :wink:
Are you talking about me, or the boat???? :hammerhea

Debbolas
05-18-2005, 05:37 PM
LOL :D

Roman 1
05-18-2005, 08:15 PM
Spoken like a true sissy :sleeping: ...
and what kind of foo foo chicks do you haul around? Your supposed to be a man (I think), sack up and represent...
R1 :cool:

Roman 1
05-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Lake Ape, before you take advice from Roman 1, you should be aware that he runs a boat rental and bait shop with the only boat for rent being his flat. I'm pretty sure he finances the business with money he made from heading the Apollo space program and inventing the internal combustion engine.
Thats not true Tom, we have pedal boats pontoons and 10 foot alumicrafts. I retired from a lucrative career as a day trader and transplanted from Palos Verdes after a week long vacation. I'm thinking about writing a book on senatobia omelet makers.
R1 ;)

DogHouse
05-18-2005, 08:44 PM
I think you forgot to mention the fact that 99% of your boating takes place before 7am in the morning!
:D

Roman 1
05-18-2005, 09:01 PM
I think you forgot to mention the fact that 99% of your boating takes place before 7am in the morning!
:D
True, I should cut down on my (after hours) Parker bar hopping. :coffeycup :notam:
Next!
R1

atomickitn
05-18-2005, 09:04 PM
lake ape get what you can afford and have fun with it, if it runs ,floats looks good , who cares what every body thinks anyway, its yours you paid for it.. :D