PDA

View Full Version : Cat vs. V-Hull

bear down
10-07-2002, 03:22 PM
Looking to purchase a new 25' Daytona open bow in the few months. Still torn between the Cat and V-hull design. I rode in the 26' Daytona and the 29' Force and they are great in Lake Havasu. I own a 20' V-Hull and I am getting pretty beat up out there. It's either the Daytona or Eagle. Can anyone give me any pro's/con's to either design and manufacturer. Thanks

boatnam2
10-07-2002, 03:53 PM
i can tell you from first hand. i owned a 26 ft american offshore blower motor and currently own a 28ft laveycraft with a teague 620hp motor.both had decent power but they are two different animals.if i could do it all over again i would of stayed with a cat without a doubt and plan on getting another one in a year or so.i really like the lavey as far as quality, but as lake water goes a cat of 26ft to 28ft will handle anything a vee will.i have got plenty of seat time in a vee to say that i feel way more comfortable at speed in rough water with my cat then i will ever be with my vee and it was 25mph faster.maybe in big big water the vee might stand out just in the fact that you dont have to worry about stuffing it but the water never get that big in parker.maybe havasu it does but the few days it does i would rather sit it out on shore with a cat.now this is my opinion on cats verus vee's at the size i mentioned.i know somebody will get on here and say you never rode in a 38ft vee at a hundred which is why im not talking about a 38ft vee.good luck in what ever you decide and remember dont do what i did. dont buy it for a situation buy it for the way it feels when you drive it.you will know.

mbrown2
10-07-2002, 04:20 PM
Go CAT, I currently have a 26' DCB Cat, and am a partner in a Eliminator Eagle 23' V. Also, spent a number of years driving (my dads) 28' Sleekcraft Enforcer. My choice is to go Cat if you are boating in Havasu/Parker...The Cat of the same length 26-28 is quicker with the same horsepower, smoother riding, and a blast to drive. You said you are thinking open-bow, so you might give up some cuddy cabin amenities with the Cat that you could get in the V, but in my opinion still worth going with the cat. My .02

25Elmn8r
10-07-2002, 04:23 PM
Once you've had cat, you'll never go back.
Now if you are talking the ocean, that's a different story. But, for Havasu and the river, the 25 Daytona is a great boat. And yes I am biased.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/DSC00243.JPG

boatnam2
10-07-2002, 05:03 PM
dj,i had a cat at went back.but i wish i hadn't.my vee is a bow rider with two couches below.besides missb putting her makeup on in the morning in the cabin it has yet to be used.looks good as you pass thru though!

Charley
10-07-2002, 05:17 PM
If you are afraid to go fast get a V wink

Havasu Cig
10-07-2002, 05:37 PM
For Havasu running only I would go with a cat. I went from a cat to a V because we are doing both Ocean and Lake boating. Even in rough lake conditions a cat in the 26' and under category will handle the chop better than a V in the same size range.
There were several times when the wind kicked up on Havasu that I blew buy some V's in the same size range as my Mach 26. I just throttled down, trimmed up and stayed on top.
[ October 07, 2002, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Cig ]

Skaterfast
10-07-2002, 06:20 PM
After everything said above and what I know,I truely believe that some day on these boards someone will ask."What's a V bottom"?

jm2drvr
10-07-2002, 06:54 PM
my neighbor just bought a eliminator eagle. I think it is about 22' or 23' in length. He has only owned this boat for a few months, and he is already talking about moving up to the 25 daytona.

Charley
10-08-2002, 06:23 AM
jm2drvr:
my neighbor just bought a eliminator eagle. I think it is about 22' or 23' in length. He has only owned this boat for a few months, and he is already talking about moving up to the 25 daytona.SID?

25Elmn8r
10-08-2002, 07:59 AM
My buddy also has a 2 year old 26 Eagle, and after one ride in my Daytona he is ready to sell and get a Daytona.

jm2drvr
10-08-2002, 08:46 AM
are you kiddin charley, sid will never own a boat, his brother has a different one out at the river every weekend.

Havasu Cig
10-08-2002, 09:41 AM
Skaterfast:
After everything said above and what I know,I truely believe that some day on these boards someone will ask."What's a V bottom"?Now lets start talking 8' swells off the coast and it's a different story :D

mbrown2
10-08-2002, 10:47 AM
Havasu Cig:
Skaterfast:
After everything said above and what I know,I truely believe that some day on these boards someone will ask."What's a V bottom"?Now lets start talking 8' swells off the coast and it's a different story :D Cig, I saw that one comin...gotta give props to the big V...- Mike

XTRM22
10-08-2002, 01:53 PM
Charley:
If you are afraid to go fast get a V wink Dude how can you do me that way, I'd have to straighten you out except you know, both you and your kid beat me up wrestling at the SandBar the last time I tried. LOL
The only reason to not go Cat is if your wife doesn't want to crawl around under the front to get stuff :confused: , a 26' Vee has more cabin area. I'm torn btween a 26' Mach and a 28 Extreme when I'm ready to upgrade. Speaking as a 30 year Vee hull man, the cat rides much better.
Chuck

Havasu_Dreamin
10-08-2002, 02:48 PM
I've never been in a cat and am curious as to how they handle and how easy are they to drive? I've heard all of the "horror" stories, but how true are they? A 10 year old could drive my 21 ft. V.

25Elmn8r
10-08-2002, 03:15 PM
Just don't turn when you are balls to the wall, and pay attention to the BIG rollers. Other than that they handle great.

bear down
10-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Thanks to all for all the great insight and advise. I was pretty confident in the 25 daytona and now you guys have reinforced my feelings. With the decision of going for the daytona, it should start being built in December ready hopefully by Feb. Thanks for all the help. Any suggestions as to what to expect from Eliminator or any custom boat builder? This is my first new/custom boat built for me. I am going with a basic engine package (496 H.O.) with the XR drive to have when I put on the charger on next year once the warranty is up on the engine. Thanks for all new and helpful hints and suggestions again.

25Elmn8r
10-08-2002, 04:01 PM
Keep us updated as to the build, and lots o pics!

roln 20s
10-08-2002, 07:47 PM
25Elmn8r-
were you at havasu for labor day? do you tow your boat with a black tahoe?
Roln 20s

Skaterfast
10-08-2002, 07:49 PM
bear down:
Thanks to all for all the great insight and advise. I was pretty confident in the 25 daytona and now you guys have reinforced my feelings. With the decision of going for the daytona, it should start being built in December ready hopefully by Feb. Thanks for all the help. Any suggestions as to what to expect from Eliminator or any custom boat builder? This is my first new/custom boat built for me. I am going with a basic engine package (496 H.O.) with the XR drive to have when I put on the charger on next year once the warranty is up on the engine. Thanks for all new and helpful hints and suggestions again.Wholy cow Bear Down!You mean I have to talk you into a Cat and now I have to convince you of Outboard power too.Man oh man,there are lots of guys here who are going to shoot me for this one,but oh well here goes.I've only said this a million times on these boards.Outboards will go faster,last longer,better gas mileage,more room in the boat,quiter.And the list goes on and on.

25Elmn8r
10-08-2002, 08:13 PM
roln 20s:
25Elmn8r-
were you at havasu for labor day? do you tow your boat with a black tahoe?
roln, that would be no and no. I wanted to go but we try and stay away from the holiday weekends. And now I tow with a charcoal Suburban. Don't tell me you saw an Eliminator with the same checkers as mine? wink
[ October 08, 2002, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: 25Elmn8r ]

25Elmn8r
10-08-2002, 08:20 PM
Skaterfast:
bear down:
Thanks to all for all the great insight and advise. I was pretty confident in the 25 daytona and now you guys have reinforced my feelings. With the decision of going for the daytona, it should start being built in December ready hopefully by Feb. Thanks for all the help. Any suggestions as to what to expect from Eliminator or any custom boat builder? This is my first new/custom boat built for me. I am going with a basic engine package (496 H.O.) with the XR drive to have when I put on the charger on next year once the warranty is up on the engine. Thanks for all new and helpful hints and suggestions again.Wholy cow Bear Down!You mean I have to talk you into a Cat and now I have to convince you of Outboard power too.Man oh man,there are lots of guys here who are going to shoot me for this one,but oh well here goes.I've only said this a million times on these boards.Outboards will go faster,last longer,better gas mileage,more room in the boat,quiter.And the list goes on and on.Don't listen to skaterfast. An outboard going to last longer, maybe. How many hours can you run an outboard before needing to be rebuilt? Better gas mileage, ok. Quieter, who wants a quiet boat. More room yes. that 496ho and XR drive is going to be a great setup. Especially with the charger on it. You won't be the fastest but you will be dependable and run into the 90's with the superchager.

roln 20s
10-08-2002, 09:44 PM
25Elmn8r-
Yes, i was there and saw one exactly like yours, but now that i look at your pics, i think his had the windshield. I know he had a stereo from transonic. the only reason i asked is because i let this guy cut in front of me in the line to pull the boats out (marina ramp) and he said he was going to hook me up with a beer the next day, plus a ride- that is mainly what i wanted, but i never saw him again. i think his boat is the 25 pictured under the AHBA thread. I love the look of the boat- one of these i am going to hitch a quick ride for an 80+ mph pass- 100 + mph pass if i'm lucky!
Roln 20s

25Elmn8r
10-08-2002, 09:49 PM
Roln, anytime you see me there you're welcome to take a ride. But for now it will have to be a sub80 pass, until the supercharger goes on the 502.

Charley
10-08-2002, 10:40 PM
XTRM22:
Charley:
If you are afraid to go fast get a V wink Dude how can you do me that way, I'd have to straighten you out except you know, both you and your kid beat me up wrestling at the SandBar the last time I tried. LOL
The only reason to not go Cat is if your wife doesn't want to crawl around under the front to get stuff :confused: , a 26' Vee has more cabin area. I'm torn btween a 26' Mach and a 28 Extreme when I'm ready to upgrade. Speaking as a 30 year Vee hull man, the cat rides much better.
ChuckSo basically if you have a cat your wife has to get on her knees more often??? NOW THERE IS THE BEST REASON IV"E HEARD YET TO BUY A CAT!!!!
:D

Charley
10-08-2002, 10:42 PM
and Bryan don't be copying,pasting and emailing that shit to my wife! :p

roln 20s
10-08-2002, 11:56 PM
Thanks 25Elmn8r- I have no idea when I am ever going to get back to Havasu, but whenever I am heading there- I'll keep that in the back of my mind if I see ya! Thanks again.
Roln 20s

bear down
10-09-2002, 05:46 AM
Thanks DJ Aka Pit o' Money,
I figure with that power set up I will be set, George and Dan at Eliminator mentioned with the charger at 4 lbs. will put me into the low 90's like you said which is fine with me. If a boat is starting to pull away, I'll just make sure to have my wife flash the other boat and then I'll be able to take him. Thanks for good word.