PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have comparison pictures of the different impellers?

poncho-pwr
04-27-2006, 12:52 PM
I am interested in seeing what the actual physical differences are between all the different manufacturers impellers are. I hear good things about this or that impeller but it has never been explained or shown to me what the actual physical differences are. I have two Berkeley impellers and I have seen one Dominator impeller but it was in the pump so I didn't get a good look. If anyone has pictures please post them up.

poncho-pwr
04-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Somebody surely has some impeller pics.

ttmott
04-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Here are two of mine. The one on the left is an American Turbine 9.25 Stainless Steel. The one on the right is Berkley style AA cut aluminum made by American Turbine.
http://hometown.aol.com/ttmott/images/9.25%20dominator%20vs%20a%20cut%20impellers.jpg

poncho-pwr
04-27-2006, 05:25 PM
What is the extra lip for on the exit side of the American Turbine imp. Thanks for the pictures.

HammerDown
04-27-2006, 06:15 PM
What is the extra lip for on the exit side of the American Turbine imp. Thanks for the pictures.
Built in stuffer.
And daym that AT is a bad lookin mofo...that bitch looks like it'll move some water!

BigBlockBaja
04-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Hell yeah.. Makes the Berk AA look tiny.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Thats for the american turbine pumps. ITs also the dominator style. When you use it in a berk pump you just machine it off.

4604me
04-27-2006, 07:09 PM
hear's a pic of my new american turbine A, next to my old berk A, Impeller. If I did this right. notice the difference in size at the vains, almost a 1/4" bigger on the AT.

4604me
04-27-2006, 07:22 PM
hears a couple more.

poncho-pwr
04-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the pictures guys. Does anybody know if the vane angle/pitch is different on various impellers or if it is constant from one make to the other.
How about some pictures of an aggressor or legend or precision.

HammerDown
04-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Guess it'll take some serious HP to make that AT Imp spin! (like much more then I have) :notam:

BigBlockBaja
04-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Guess it'll take some serious HP to make that AT Imp spin! (like much more then I have) :notam:
You and me both.....
:mad:

YeLLowBoaT
04-27-2006, 08:01 PM
There is another company that makes 4, 5 and 6 vane impllers... they are suppose to work just like 4, 5, 6 bladed props. I am sure one of the AL boat guys will chime in here with a link.... they have the info on them.

ttmott
04-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Thats for the american turbine pumps. ITs also the dominator style. When you use it in a berk pump you just machine it off.
There is no way the 9.25 will fit in a Berk bowl no matter what machining you do. It will fit to a standard Berk intake structure and shaft with the correct stepped ring but that's about it. You can cut the discharge down and change the discharge angle just like any other berk impeller but not the diameter. The larger AT bowl must be run with this impeller. The ring on the outlet steps inside of the AT bowl to seal that area so flow is improved (stuffer). I lost 300 RPM from 6100 to 5800 stepping from the AA to the 9.25 but gained about 20 MPH on the top end. I did, however do a lot of other modifications to the pump that helped. It is, to say the least, a stump puller.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-28-2006, 01:19 PM
There is no way the 9.25 will fit in a Berk bowl no matter what machining you do. It will fit to a standard Berk intake structure and shaft with the correct stepped ring but that's about it. You can cut the discharge down and change the discharge angle just like any other berk impeller but not the diameter. The larger AT bowl must be run with this impeller. The ring on the outlet steps inside of the AT bowl to seal that area so flow is improved (stuffer). I lost 300 RPM from 6100 to 5800 stepping from the AA to the 9.25 but gained about 20 MPH on the top end. I did, however do a lot of other modifications to the pump that helped. It is, to say the least, a stump puller.
My bad, I should have clarified my statement. The regular impellers that have the extra lip on the end has to be machined off for other pumps. the 9.25 is one big ass impeller!!! You are absolutely right about not fitting regular bowls.

poncho-pwr
04-28-2006, 02:21 PM
The more I look at that AT impeller the nicer it looks. Come on guys somebody has to have an aggressor or other brand impeller.

502 JET
04-28-2006, 07:43 PM
My bad, I should have clarified my statement. The regular impellers that have the extra lip on the end has to be machined off for other pumps. the 9.25 is one big ass impeller!!! You are absolutely right about not fitting regular bowls.
I talked to American Turbine a few weeks ago.I asked about the 9.25 and 9.5 impellers.They said to ship them my bowl and they can machine it to fit either impeller.If I remember correctly it would run $60.00 to cut the bowl and $15.00 for the adapter to re center the bowl plus shipping.

Outlaw
04-28-2006, 07:59 PM
man those pics of the American Turbine impeller made me feel better about the one I received from them.
I was concerened about the part that had not been machined like the cast core was too small. mine looked like it would turn my pump into a 600 HP vibrator.
and it was just an AA.

El Prosecutor
04-28-2006, 10:32 PM
man those pics of the American Turbine impeller made me feel better about the one I received from them.
I was concerened about the part that had not been machined like the cast core was too small. mine looked like it would turn my pump into a 600 HP vibrator.
and it was just an AA.
When I got mine I thought the same thing about the variance you are talking about. My theory is that after they are finished they shave off a bit here or there for final balancing. Here is my aluminum (Berkeley style) American Turbine AA:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3252AT-Shaved3.jpg
Look at how the vanes protrude on mine:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3252AT-AA_BowlSide3.jpg
Compared to TTMOTT's:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3252ttmottsimpeller.jpg
He said his was a Berkley style AA cut aluminum made by American Turbine also, but the vanes look way different. Weird. Mine is less than 6 mos. from the factory, maybe his is a different model?

ttmott
04-29-2006, 04:22 AM
Dup.... I pulled the wrong box off the shelf; actually had the A in the AA box.. The one in the pic is an A cut... Sorry. Below shows the different cuts.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1030AT_Impeller.jpg

poncho-pwr
04-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Man, it must take some BIG ponies to spin one of those 9.5" impellers up into the 6,000rpm neighborhood huh?

HBjet
04-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Anyone seen one of these?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/203Blade.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/203Blade2.jpg
:)
HBjet

YeLLowBoaT
04-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Man, it must take some BIG ponies to spin one of those 9.5" impellers up into the 6,000rpm neighborhood huh?
~950 ish.... I would be willing to bet you would have to have some killer loader to even feed the pump.

poncho-pwr
04-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey HBjet, who made that three vane? Did you run it and if so how did it compare to a standard four vane?

Scoobinator
04-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Here is one from MPD this is a B cut factory VS. MPD http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13356&stc=1 http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13355&stc=1

flat broke
04-30-2006, 08:49 AM
So how fast wast the boat before the 9.25? Did you increase the amount power available between impeller changes? 20MPH is HUGE! I'd love to hear all about the other changes to get a feel for how much of the gain was attributed to the different impeller. Sorry if I missed it, but what kind of boat was this in?
Chris

ttmott
04-30-2006, 10:21 AM
So how fast wast the boat before the 9.25? Did you increase the amount power available between impeller changes? 20MPH is HUGE! I'd love to hear all about the other changes to get a feel for how much of the gain was attributed to the different impeller. Sorry if I missed it, but what kind of boat was this in?
Chris
The engine is a BBC 468 twin turbo charged intercooled and pulled 920+ at 6000 on the dyno. Torque peaked at 5600. The induction is a draw through with twin 660 center squirters. The hull is a Sleekcraft Rebel with the bottom straightened and the chines modified. The intake was blended into the bottom and 2 degree shoe with ride plate added. DPS built the top loader. Added a droop to unwet more of the hull. Other than the engine build all of the changes added together to net the 20+ MPH. I really don't have enough data and too many parallel changes were made to determine what specific difference the 9 1/4 change made. It does hold close to 1000 hp down to 5800 RPM so it does demand torque. In my discussions with the folks at AT we were all uncomfortable to continue the use of the AA aluminum from a structural standpoint so we stepped up to the 9.25 SST, bowl, hard shaft, and thrust dual row ball bearing. The success in this combination is the hole shot. With the trim set to zero I can launch the hull out of the water from idle. Don't know what top end really is, just keeps pulling, but we showed on GPS last year 101 and stable ride empty gas tanks and one passenger. I'm uncomfortable with this hull at speeds over say 90 so we'll leave it there...

poncho-pwr
04-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Damn ttmott, drop that twin turbo 468 in a tunnel and don't look back. Very impressive!

HBjet
04-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Hey HBjet, who made that three vane? Did you run it and if so how did it compare to a standard four vane?
Legend made this one. Its an A, but I heard its suppose to run like a B since there are only 3 blades. I would love to try it out sometime. I will have to ask the owner again when I get the chance!
HBjet

POP-AGGRESSOR
05-01-2006, 08:25 AM
The Berk is an "A" not "AA"

POP-AGGRESSOR
05-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Anyone seen one of these?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/203Blade.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/203Blade2.jpg
:)
HBjet
H.B. WHAT IS THE CAVATATION i SEE ON THE iMPELLER ABOUT. WHEN I GET SOME TIME I WILL PHOTO ONE OF OUR 3 VANES FOR YOU, ALSO A 3 VANE CUPPED, AND A 3 VANE DUAL PORTED. IF i GET THEM TO THE BOARD WOULD YOU HELP ME GET THEM ON LINE AS I HAVE YET BEEN ABLE TO GET ANY UP TO THE BOARD. (YOU KNOW HOLES IN THE BRAIN STUFF) DAVE

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-01-2006, 09:37 AM
dave, we would love to see the different impellers. If you need me to upload them just let me know.

HBjet
05-01-2006, 09:40 AM
H.B. WHAT IS THE CAVATATION i SEE ON THE iMPELLER ABOUT. WHEN I GET SOME TIME I WILL PHOTO ONE OF OUR 3 VANES FOR YOU, ALSO A 3 VANE CUPPED, AND A 3 VANE DUAL PORTED. IF i GET THEM TO THE BOARD WOULD YOU HELP ME GET THEM ON LINE AS I HAVE YET BEEN ABLE TO GET ANY UP TO THE BOARD. (YOU KNOW HOLES IN THE BRAIN STUFF) DAVE
I can't comment on the impellers condition as I have only seen it on a shelf. I don't know when it was ran the last time either... sorry. I just thought it was interesting being the first of its kind that I have ever seen or heard of. That's cool you guys have one too. Let me know and I will post the photos I'm looking forward to seeing it. The main reason for taking the photos of this Legend impeller were to shut Chet C. up about Aggressor being the only mfg doing any R&D. That's all!
HBjet :)

SmokinLowriderSS
05-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey pops, I understand 3-vane "cupped" I think (I know cupped props), but what is 3-vane "ported", assuming the explanation isn't requiring 300 lines of course. :)