PDA

View Full Version : Any one live in RSM?

cdog
05-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Rancho Santa Margarita...... We're thinking of buying in that area...Any comments?

One Particular Harbor
05-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Area has matured considerably in that time and housing prices have also grown significantly. Don't know what you are looking for, but it is generally a very family-oriented community. Everyone in our neighborhood has children, mostly elementary school aged. Public schools are very strong and reasonably well-funded.
They did a lot of building in the late 90's and early 2000's, and the area is now mostly built out with new construction mostly south of RSM, in the Ladera Ranch community. There are nine parks in the community, all with community pools, tot lots, etc. You will typically pay homeowners' dues to both the RSM community and to your local development's HOA.
Crime has never been an issue for us and, given the proximity of the houses and the tight-knit nature of the neighborhoods, it is relatively a very safe community.
You have your typical suburban collection of supermarkets, home improvement stores, etc. Food in the area is decent with a couple of very good restaurants and then your typical family fare. Toll road makes for convenient access to major freeways and the 241 corridor is a good jumpstart on a trip to Havasu. Surface streets down to the 5/405 freeway can get a bit congested and, with the signals, sometimes can be a bit of a pain.
Sorry, not a real estate agent, was there any specific information you were looking for?
Best,
OPH

Kegel King
05-20-2005, 05:54 PM
The Property tax rate is over 2% thats not very good plus special assesments so be carefull

THOR
05-20-2005, 06:08 PM
PM Beer Hunter, KevinMCD, and Music to my Ears. They all live there.

MagicMtnDan
05-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Rancho Santa Margarita
Average home price in March '05: $518,000.00
Average home price in March '04: $450,000.00
Percent change: 15.10%

Silver
05-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Ladera Ranch.......down the street.

bunny 166
05-20-2005, 08:27 PM
I live in Foothill Ranch, just 5 minutes away....we have lived here for almost 10 years and can't imagine living anywhere else but south OC :D Phebus lives in RSM, too, but he's probably all vicodin'ed up! Get well Rick!! :)

cdog
05-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the info. Were driving down there tommarrow to check out a home. Is the whole are 2% tax or just Ladera ranch...I've got the MLS print out and it shows the current tax of 4614 a year. It sounds like a 1% tax with improvements since 1989 when it was built. Were trying to decide if we want to stay here in Cali or move to AZ. Tough call.....

bunny 166
05-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the info. Were driving down there tommarrow to check out a home. Is the whole are 2% tax or just Ladera ranch...I've got the MLS print out and it shows the current tax of 4614 a year. It sounds like a 1% tax with improvements since 1989 when it was built. Were trying to decide if we want to stay here in Cali or move to AZ. Tough call.....
Don't forget to check out Foothill Ranch....it is really a nice place to live...our taxes are about 1.6% I think...It depends on where you live....Take the Alton exit off the 241; it's a couple exits before the Santa Margarita Pkwy exit :wink: :wink:

ryantparks
05-20-2005, 08:54 PM
$518k will maybe get you a townhouse. Youre probably looking at atleast $600k for a 1600' house.
If you have a big SUV youll fit right in!

cdog
05-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Don't forget to check out Foothill Ranch....it is really a nice place to live...our taxes are about 1.6% I think...It depends on where you live....Take the Alton exit off the 241; it's a couple exits before the Santa Margarita Pkwy exit :wink: :wink:
We're lookin at a house off of Antonio and Via Honesto...It's in the low 800's... What am I thinkin????????????????????????

cc322
05-20-2005, 08:57 PM
IMO the houses are pretty close together, I live below Ladera in Mission viejo little more room between houses. I also believe you have Assoc dues and Mella roose to pay, can get a bit pricey. Ladera is brand new and is very well kept up. They are in the middle of widening crown valley for the traffic increase. FYI We love Mission Viejo :D

ryantparks
05-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Im antonio and valeroso

cdog
05-20-2005, 09:00 PM
We've got to have a 3 car garage, pool or Rv parking and about 2300sqft. A big driveway is a big + too. I like the newer homes but they never have any room for all my junk. We my look in lake forest also.

cdog
05-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Im antonio and valeroso
The HOA is 47 and 39 on the mls. Is that your same area? If so what is your property tax rate?

DUNDUN
05-20-2005, 09:22 PM
i lived in rsm when it was a brand new community, and its grown alot.
i also lived in ladera ranch for a couple years, ive seen that ladera ranch is better for families, specifically families with young kids. and the house prices are insane! if you buy a house around those parts it is quite an investment for sure. :)

ryantparks
05-20-2005, 09:41 PM
ive been here in RSM since 88 myself and its grown just like every other new area.
My hoa is $39 and I think my property tax rate is 2%
Id say that Ladera's homes are more stacked than Rancho and the streets are alot more narrow making for more homes in a smaller area. Just my 2 cents.

DUNDUN
05-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Id say that Ladera's homes are more stacked than Rancho and the streets are alot more narrow making for more homes in a smaller area. Just my 2 cents.
i concur.

Krazy K
05-20-2005, 10:03 PM
My best friend lives in RSM with his family. The place there in now, they paid about $250k for about 5 years ago. They really like it alot. They are off of Santa Margarita Pkwy and Melissa. They are in a townhouse overlooking the pool.

cc322
05-21-2005, 06:16 AM
We've got to have a 3 car garage, pool or Rv parking and about 2300sqft. A big driveway is a big + too. I like the newer homes but they never have any room for all my junk. We my look in lake forest also.
I dont think you will find anything like that in Ladera Ranch. Thats why so many people are heading to riverside county, Most cant afford the prices in the OC especially south OC, and if you can the property tax will kill you. We loooked to move up in Mission Viejo, even after we did a addition, looked at what we had to spend to get something biger and said no way, wound up buying a place out in Havasu. I have a friend who lives in Anahiem Hills and I think it is very nice., and yorba linda. IMO your money goes a little further in North OC. And for Rancho Santa Margarita, I will be taking my wifes Esccape in for service at the ford dealership this morning :p Good luck house hunting

Mtg Pro
05-21-2005, 06:33 AM
We live in RSM now that they included Robinson. We have great schools and youth activities.

beer hunter
05-21-2005, 07:01 AM
PM Beer Hunter, KevinMCD, and Music to my Ears. They all live there.
One of the best cities/areas to raise a family, period! :D

THOR
05-21-2005, 07:36 AM
I like it down there, but I love living here in HB still. Beer Hunter lives in a killer area named Wagon Wheel. It is right next to Coto de Caza. Foothill Ranch is sweet too like Bunny said. Ladera is nice and new, but like others have said the houses are very close together and the lots arent nearly as big. Portola Hills is nice too.

cdog
05-21-2005, 07:44 AM
I'm a little worried about the prop. tax... Aside from that it looks like a great community. Supprisingly the title information does'nt say anything about what tax rate they charge in that area. It shows a total ass. amount of $326,503 for the year 2004 and a annual tax amount of $4,125....So thats about 1.25% tax... This home was built in 1989 and has the org. owners in it. Like I said before, I like the newer homes but the tax's and zero lot lines kill me.

HCS
05-21-2005, 11:07 AM
No comment. Don't know the place. :notam:

MRS. REAPER
05-21-2005, 11:19 AM
We live in the Las Flores area of RSM (Antonio/Oso), close to where you're looking....great neighborhoods, nice people, and area always kept up. Not all communities are 2%, actually I think Ladera Ranch is the highest - I think there are many areas of RSM that are way less than 1.5%, it's always less the earlier it was built. We have a detached house, so our association is around $70/month to city of Las Flores, and then $40 for our individual community, pool, and tot lot.
We moved from Lake Forest previously, where all property taxes are only 1%, but homes are older....it's a tradeoff, but well worth it because we have small children and look forward to the schools here in South OC.
Good luck!

TheLurker
05-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the info. Were driving down there tommarrow to check out a home. .....
I am another local east of Plano Trabuco and can confirm what has been said. Nice community, good schools, some are a little crowed but where aren’t they. Good place to raise a family. Kind of a small town atmosphere.
Well Cdog what did you think of the house?

phebus
05-21-2005, 08:56 PM
We love the area. We are at Antonio and Tijeras Creek. Right on Tijeras Creek golf course. I am a fireman in Rancho Santa Margarita, and if I can provide you with any information on the area let me know.
Rick

Waldo
05-22-2005, 08:32 AM
We live in Ladera Ranch (Antonio & Crown) and our prop taxes are 1.9. Houses are definitely close together but we love the community and what it offers our family. Some people don't necessarily like the planned community living so my suggestion to you is to do your research and do what is best for your family.
We have only one HOA but other developments in Ladera have two assoc dues (condos/townhomes). Prices have skyrocketed in the last 3 years since we've been here. Like mentioned above, we thought about bigger and more $ but decided on a river place instead.
The Rock-a-Bye-Baby's live in the Las Flores area and some other friends of ours live in Foothill Ranch. Both of these places are very nice.
Good Luck.

cdog
05-22-2005, 02:36 PM
We drove all over hell and back yesterday..RSM is a great community and we felt at home there. We did find a pretty nice house. It is lacking a couple of things but one neighbor had a boat and the other had quads so i'd fit right in. . Really hard decicion......We are stuck over going to AZ or staying here and paying 800K + for a home just feels crazy when we can go to AZ and spend 600k and get something bigger and newer. It's a home and a lifestyle change if we go to AZ. Either way we're in for some big changes soon. We're going to AZ on June 2nd to meet with a broker for me and hopefully take a look at some homes. Mabey it will be easier once we take a look out there too. I will tell you that if we do stay here RSM will be our new home.

JBmagic
05-22-2005, 02:51 PM
We drove all over hell and back yesterday..RSM is a great community and we felt at home there. We did find a pretty nice house. It is lacking a couple of things but one neighbor had a boat and the other had quads so i'd fit right in. . Really hard decicion......We are stuck over going to AZ or staying here and paying 800K + for a home just feels crazy when we can go to AZ and spend 600k and get something bigger and newer. It's a home and a lifestyle change if we go to AZ. Either way we're in for some big changes soon. We're going to AZ on June 2nd to meet with a broker for me and hopefully take a look at some homes. Mabey it will be easier once we take a look out there too. I will tell you that if we do stay here RSM will be our new home.
Sounds like a $16,000 tax bill :frown:

Perfect Mixer
05-22-2005, 02:53 PM
All I have to say is if you find the right house, move fast on it. Stuff doesn't stay on the market very long around here. You'll be hard pressed to find anything on the market for more than a week!

Jrocket
05-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Eight hundred thousand dollars,now say that over and over slowly.Thats hard to choke down for a everyday regular house.And thats IF you find one for that.

pixilatedpussy
05-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Foothill Ranch baby! Can't beat the school here! :p :p There is a house across the street for sale! Then you can live across a pussy and come over to play anytime! :smile:

Kilrtoy
05-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Foothill Ranch baby! Can't beat the school here! :p :p There is a house across the street for sale! Then you can live across a pussy and come over to play anytime! :smile:
You have to be a millionaire to buy there now.... or just cash your life and kids lives away to move in......

Ivan Dan
05-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Where at in AZ you guys thinking? My buddy moved to Gilbert, AZ about a year ago and loves it. He bought a brand new 2500 sq/ft single level and he paid like $350k + $75,000pool/spa and landscaping and is already worth about $550,000 or $600,000.

cdog
05-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Where at in AZ you guys thinking? My buddy moved to Gilbert, AZ about a year ago and loves it. He bought a brand new 2500 sq/ft single level and he paid like $350k + $75,000pool/spa and landscaping and is already worth about $550,000 or $600,000.
We will be renting for a while in snottsdale and looking to buy in a winter market. It's all a big what if right now......We'll see. I wont buy untill I know the areas and market place well enough out there. I know alot of the new areas are real nice but scottsdale is where it's at. I've lived there before temp. for work and had some good times..

Cole Trickle
05-23-2005, 06:25 AM
I currently live in Foothill Ranch/Portola Hills and really like the area.
I bought my Condo 2 years ago for 289K and there are 3 on the market in my complex for right at 500K.(The cost of living is flat out crazy and I was lucky to get in when I did)
Like you found out anything with a 3 car garage and RV access is going to be 800K+++++
To give you an idea of taxes I currently pay 4K a year and that was based off my purchase price of 290K.
My girlfriend and I took a trip out to Arizona about 10 months ago to look at various communities and met with a broker.
We held off for the time because prices in OC had fell off there peak and the market was pretty stagnent.(It's good again)
I would avoid Scottsdale like the plague!Yes it's a nice area but the whole reason your moving away from OC is to get ahead of the game.Paying 600K for a house there will turn out to be an average investment at best.When and If I buy it will either be in Chandler/Gilbert or one of the new communities like Power Ranch.
You should be able to find a 3,000 square foot house with a decent yard and a 3 car garage for around 350K.
Brandin

cdog
05-23-2005, 08:29 AM
I currently live in Foothill Ranch/Portola Hills and really like the area.
I bought my Condo 2 years ago for 289K and there are 3 on the market in my complex for right at 500K.(The cost of living is flat out crazy and I was lucky to get in when I did)
Like you found out anything with a 3 car garage and RV access is going to be 800K+++++
To give you an idea of taxes I currently pay 4K a year and that was based off my purchase price of 290K.
My girlfriend and I took a trip out to Arizona about 10 months ago to look at various communities and met with a broker.
We held off for the time because prices in OC had fell off there peak and the market was pretty stagnent.(It's good again)
I would avoid Scottsdale like the plague!Yes it's a nice area but the whole reason your moving away from OC is to get ahead of the game.Paying 600K for a house there will turn out to be an average investment at best.When and If I buy it will either be in Chandler/Gilbert or one of the new communities like Power Ranch.
You should be able to find a 3,000 square foot house with a decent yard and a 3 car garage for around 350K.
Brandin
So here we are again with peaking prices in OC. I wonder how many more times this will happen. I think this will be the last time. As far as scottsdale goes......Location Location Location....I'm sure you've heard that before. Part of the reason i'd be leaving is to be in the scottsdale enviroment. I'm going out there to interview a broker for employment and to check out some homes and areas..Nothing against chandler and gilbert, Since i'm in real estate i've got to be where the big $$$$ is. Did you know that Real Estate is the biggest business in AZ and 1 out 0f every 4 dollars made in AZ is from Real Estate. Kind of scary when thing turn down a little. 10% of their market is being bought by out of state investors.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
05-23-2005, 09:16 AM
We just moved to RSM a couple of months ago. We too live in Las Flores (Antonio and Oso). our tax rate is 1.45% ( i am pretty sure). I didn't have too much trouble justifying the expense becuase the area will maintain its' higher standard much longer than those that rely on civic bonds and/or assessments that need a majority vote to pass. The schools are the best in the nation. The people are really nice. The houses are sweet. You are close to everything (stores, freeway, mall, etc) and most importantly, its a safe and healthy enviroment for my kids to grow up in. i can't encourage the place enough. Everywhere from Foothill Ranch as far south as Ladera. Each place is exceptional. and i may dare to say that the south county may endure a housing correction better than any area in southern cal. I don't have much evidence to support that, it's a gut feeling. and i have one hell of a gut!

pixilatedpussy
05-23-2005, 11:46 AM
The house across the street from us is only around 600,000. Its not a huge house, but it is nice.

Sixpacked
05-23-2005, 12:02 PM
My husband an I grew up in San Diego & South OC, then moved to Temecula for better housing prices. 2 years ago we moved to Havasu - No regrets, we love living out here. We figured why pay 2 house payments, we spent the whole week dying to get back to Havasu for the weekend...so we figured wtf go for it. We sold our little vacation home for 100K profit and bought a new 2700 sf house in Feb 05 for 495K with a lake view, boat garage and RV parking. Just appraised this month for 619K - what more could you ask for? Even SoCal can't beat that in just 3 months - Gotta love it!! :)

missboatnam1
05-23-2005, 12:43 PM
my friend just bought outside of scottsdale, 450k for a brandnew 3000 SF home....if i could i would be otta here too!! good luck....let us know!!