PDA

View Full Version : Cable play

tahitijet
05-21-2005, 07:22 PM
I noticed today that now all my cables have slop in them.. The forward/reverse, diverter, and steering all move at least 1/2" in there jacket before the control moves. for example at center i can move the nozzle left and right at least a 1/2" each way before the wheel moves and with the diverter fully locked up i can lift on the nozzle about a 1/2" as well. Is this normal? I've tried adjustments on both ends and it doesn't seem to get any better.

steelcomp
05-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Yup. That's the space between the inside of the cable housing and the cable itself. I bought all new everything, including rack and steering cable, helm, everything, only to find the same thing. Kinda sucks. I'm not into sloppy steering at 100, but I guess that's what you get with that type of steering. Hasn't seemed to have been a problem in driving and control, though.

berk
05-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Yup. That's the space between the inside of the cable housing and the cable itself. I bought all new everything, including rack and steering cable, helm, everything, only to find the same thing. Kinda sucks. I'm not into sloppy steering at 100, but I guess that's what you get with that type of steering. Hasn't seemed to have been a problem in driving and control, though.
i wonder how a double cable rack and pinion drives. i find it hard to believe that a pull/pull cable system is the best for feel. if so why dont you see them more often?
one thing you can do to help a cable is to secure the housing all the way down, so it cant snake around under tension. helps a bit.

steelcomp
05-21-2005, 08:44 PM
one thing you can do to help a cable is to secure the housing all the way down, so it cant snake around under tension. helps a bit.
That's a true statement!

Sangster
05-21-2005, 09:01 PM
:idea: ....80 Bahner Tunnel/ 467 BBC ... 100mph.. Must be some big ponies..

SmokinLowriderSS
05-21-2005, 09:19 PM
I suspect there's quite a number of big ponies there Sangster. :cool:

steelcomp
05-22-2005, 08:16 AM
:idea: ....80 Bahner Tunnel/ 467 BBC ... 100mph.. Must be some big ponies..
Naw, not really. That is with a full interior, cast iron heads and a flat tappet cam, though. Honestly never did break the 100 mark, but knocked on high nineties with no set up time in full lake trim.
Is there a point to your post? Was there a question there? :D

Sangster
05-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Slap them Canfields on there... They gotta help... :idea: :idea: :idea:

steelcomp
05-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Slap them Canfields on there... They gotta help... :idea: :idea: :idea:
Oh yeah!! Canfields, roller, Dart TR, and no interior 'cept a couple a 'glass buckets. That's a weight loss of at least 100 lbs. I set back the pump and MPD's workin on a stainless B. :D:D
Any guesses?

Sangster
05-22-2005, 07:28 PM
:idea: ...You can bring it up to CFW to find out.. :D :D :D

steelcomp
05-22-2005, 07:57 PM
:idea: ...You can bring it up to CFW to find out.. :D :D :D
Yy-y-y-y-you d-d-don't scare m-m-m-me! :2purples: :D I dunno. You guys play kinda rough up there!
If I get it done early enough this summer I might venture up that way. No expectations, just for fun. OR, I'll just wait 'till I get the blown alky motor done. :devil:

Sangster
05-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Fast boats + Good Folks = CFW ;) ;) ;)

steelcomp
05-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Fast boats + Good Folks = CFW ;) ;) ;)
Ten four that. :D