PDA

View Full Version : Don Ermshar's BGF "Illusion"

chevykiller426
05-21-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm looking for pictures of one of Don Ermshar's old boats from the 1980's...it is called "Illusion" and ran in Blown Gas Flat class during this time...it was a multi-colored Canyon flat and had the number #673 on the side...i did happen to see one picture someone posted on this site in Hud's v-drive pictures...i purchased this boat last summer and is in the process of being restored to its former new condition...any help with pictures would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Jetboatguru
05-21-2005, 10:21 PM
And you are gonna F it all up by putting a piece of crap hemi in it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

chevykiller426
05-21-2005, 11:08 PM
No Tony..i thought i'd F it up with a ford or chevy!!! :confused:

wsuwrhr
05-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Cool another Mopar guy.
Brian

Monkey Bung
05-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Is that a canyon?

chevykiller426
05-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Yepper!

wsuwrhr
05-21-2005, 11:51 PM
I was going to post a picture of the motor that boat needs, but something is wrong with the picture gallery.
Brian
547 Indy headed-maxx block

chevykiller426
05-21-2005, 11:53 PM
Brian...it is a 572 cubic inch alcohol injected Ray Barton HEMI....Terry

wsuwrhr
05-21-2005, 11:56 PM
That will work too.
I am guessing you are using the Mopar Mega block if it a Barton motor.
Brian

chevykiller426
05-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Mopar Pro Stock HEMI block(same one the drag racers use)...

wsuwrhr
05-21-2005, 11:59 PM
Mopar Pro Stock HEMI block(same one the drag racers use)...
No shit?
Thats the one with the larger bore centers?
Brian

chevykiller426
05-22-2005, 12:00 AM
The exact same one...bore sizes big enough to drop a 2 liter soda bottle into...4.50 bore and 4.50 stroke....

wsuwrhr
05-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Cool, I bought Indy's Maxx block for my Hondo project.
4.5 bore, 4.3 stroke. 547.
Brian

chevykiller426
05-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Are you running a HEMI or a wedge motor?

wsuwrhr
05-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Are you running a HEMI or a wedge motor?
I run wedges
I kinda like em.
Nothing wrong with a hemi though.
Brian

wsuwrhr
05-22-2005, 12:19 AM
Its nice to have another Mopar guy on here.
I have an iron 440 in my jet boat, and I am building an all aluminum motor the for the Hondo.
Too bad so are so far from the west coast, it would be cool to see it in action.
Are you doing the rigging for your boat? I build all of the parts needed to put the RBs in boats, if you are interested.
Brian

Jetboatguru
05-22-2005, 06:16 AM
Terry, until you get the hemi to run a 6.98 @ 149 or 7.00 @ 149 in a pro gas flat, I think I would stick to the pinch head stuff. Hey, check out who is #1 qualifier at Columbus, its WJ with a GM pinch head. :hammerhea

Kurtis500
05-22-2005, 07:03 AM
Put a blower and injector on it and leave all the chevy stuff behind.. :shift:

chevykiller426
05-22-2005, 07:03 AM
Yea...but there are 6 Dodges also qualified Tony that are running hemi heads...i'll leave the pinch heads to you chevy guys...LOL...Terry :sleeping:

Jetboatguru
05-22-2005, 08:45 AM
We'll keep winning and you keep on putting that thing together. Is there a chance it will done in this decade? Ray Barton? LMAO.

Jetboatguru
05-22-2005, 08:50 AM
I just checked NHRA.com and that is quite an impressive showing 1st round for the Hemis
BWAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jetboatguru
05-22-2005, 09:26 AM
And then there were none!!
All Hemis have left the building after only the 2nd round.
Can you Hemi now? :D :D

V-DRIVES RULE
05-22-2005, 09:42 AM
''hemi-roid''

Sangerboy
05-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Is that a canyon?
For some reason I thought that boat was a DiMarco. What is the HIN? I'm still looking for the original Illusion, the Sanger that is Ivory Hunters sibling.

Kurtis500
05-22-2005, 04:20 PM
I just checked NHRA.com and that is quite an impressive showing 1st round for the Hemis
BWAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I just checked too on the faster and quicker classes. TF and FC dont have a chevy in sight. All chevys left the building about when Elvis did...1974. I Wonder why?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/503/7Darrell_Russell-med.jpg
Chevys cant do this!!!!

Rexone
05-22-2005, 04:31 PM
I just checked too on the faster and quicker classes. TF and FC dont have a chevy in sight. All chevys left the building about when Elvis did...1974. I Wonder why?
Blower maybe. Just a guess. :coffeycup

Rexone
05-22-2005, 04:35 PM
And then there were none!!
All Hemis have left the building after only the 2nd round.
Can you Hemi now? :D :D
Tony by the tone of your posts my guess is you're not going to be running a Daimler Benz engine in your dragboat program anytime soon. :notam:

chevykiller426
05-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Amen Kurtis500...Elvis just left the building and took Warren Johnson with him... :hammerhea

GofastRacer
05-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Chevys cant do this!!!!
Bullshit they can so, for 15 seconds anyhow!.. :D :D

chevykiller426
05-22-2005, 06:40 PM
Congratulations to Tony Schmaucher for setting the fastest mile per hour record in NHRATop Fuel history today in Columbus, Ohio...336 and change...not too shabby for a guy with a HEMI in his car... :argue:------chevy and ford

FlatStupid
05-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Congratulations to Tony Schmaucher for setting the fastest mile per hour record in NHRATop Fuel history today in Columbus, Ohio...336 and change...not too shabby for a guy with a HEMI in his car... :argue:------chevy and fordThe motors that Alan Johnson builds for Schumacher are to Chrsyler what Eminem is Paul Mcartney, started in the same place, but one has nothing to do with the other! :hammerhea Congrats to those guys, they do haul the mail. :D

steelcomp
05-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Chevys cant do this!!!!
NOT!! Hee hee hee! :cry:

LakesOnly
05-22-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm looking for pictures of one of Don Ermshar's old boats from the 1980's...it is called "Illusion" and ran in Blown Gas Flat class during this time...it was a multi-colored Canyon flat and had the number #673 on the side...i purchased this boat last summer...any help with pictures would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
Certainly you don't mean this De Marco, Do you?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/350Illusion.jpg
LO

WILDERTHANU
05-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Congratulations to Tony Schmaucher for setting the fastest mile per hour record in NHRATop Fuel history today in Columbus, Ohio...336 and change...not too shabby for a guy with a HEMI in his car... :argue:------chevy and ford
What a great day in Ohio today!! Boy Tonys lucky to have this guy making his power.
Just another Machinist...
http://www.nhra.com/wklynews/2000news/december/images/aj04.jpg
http://www.nhra.com/wklynews/2000news/december/images/aj06.jpg

LakesOnly
05-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Here's a later boat of his:
http://www.spect8foto.com/archive/baf210.jpg
LO

Jetboatguru
05-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Terry, don't you think it is time you put a lid on it with all your Hemi crap? You pollute other forums with hemi this and hemi that. You have been building one for who knows how long. Yes Hemis are the motor of choice in the blown classes. But in Pro stock where you are tauting them, they are at the middle of the heap. So when is your boat gonna see the water? And, who is gonna drive it?
You get Ray Barton's finest 500" and we will pull out one of our worst and let's go to the track. See how well you rate.
Congrats to all the 2nd round losers who were running HEMIS

steelcomp
05-22-2005, 09:40 PM
What a great day in Ohio today!! Boy Tonys lucky to have this guy making his power.
Just another Machinist...
http://www.nhra.com/wklynews/2000news/december/images/aj04.jpg
http://www.nhra.com/wklynews/2000news/december/images/aj06.jpg
Hey...where'd ya get the pics! I spent 4 years in that shop. That's Ricky that Alan's talkin to. He's one of the best port designers in the world. Don't know the other guy...he's just another machinist. :D Alan's a jeanyus!

steelcomp
05-22-2005, 09:44 PM
The motors that Alan Johnson builds for Schumacher are to Chrsyler what Eminem is Paul Mcartney, started in the same place, but one has nothing to do with the other! :hammerhea Congrats to those guys, they do haul the mail. :D
Hemi heads in TF cars are still basically Hemi heads. They're closer in design to the original than, say, a Big Chief or Pontiac or B1. Way closer. BBC heads in Pro Stock don't even come close to resembling a BB Chev head, in any way...not even bore spacing.

Cowboy Bob
05-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Certainly you don't mean this De Marco, Do you?
LO
Isn't that a Mako?

LakesOnly
05-23-2005, 09:20 AM
Isn't that a Mako?
1982 De Marco. Mr. Earmshar described it to me as his absolute most favorite boat and expressed some very fond memories of it.
He got this boat back from the painter and assembled it the same week and got to the Texas Shootout by that Friday. He won in that boat its very first time out. The $1500 purse was spent over the next two days in Texas, celebrating. He did 152 MPH in this boat (no capsule). Ran it until I think 1984, then sold it to a guy around Stockton, CA.
It resurfaced about 1-1/2 years ago in Oregon and I scrambled up there--cash in hand--to buy it. Because of the history, it was really something to see but in the end I passed and went with another boat.
When Sonny De Marco quit building boats, Don brought Mako Boats onto the scene. Today, Sonny De Marco lives in Redding.
LO

Mike Oxbig
05-23-2005, 09:22 AM
LO
You are gonna get a bunch of grief over that last post. Chevykiller has talked to everyone and their mother about the boat and refuses to accept it is a Dimarco. .

Cowboy Bob
05-23-2005, 09:45 AM
LO
You are gonna get a bunch of grief over that last post. Chevykiller has talked to everyone and their mother about the boat and refuses to accept it is a Dimarco. .
If the MIC (VIN Number) starts with DMB, it's Di Marco if it's MKO it's a Mako. How did the whole Mako Boat design come to be? Was it a splash of a Di Marco or did the Ermshar Brothers buy the Di Marco Molds?

blowngas
05-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Chevykiller has talked to everyone and their mother about the boat LOL---- you would think he would have contacted Don himself for some info

Roman 1
05-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Who's Ray Barton? Your puttin a Hemi in what? Terry Who? Are you a racer? do tell....
Roman 1 :confused:

LakesOnly
05-23-2005, 11:30 AM
LO
Hey not my problem, and no grief here. :)
There indeed seems to be some confusion about the make of the boat. ChebbyKiller posted that it's a Canyon. Cowboy Bob thought it may be a Mako.
But, uh, Don Earmshar himself tells me it's a De Marco.
There are no numbers visible on the stern of this boat. They were covered up with the paint job. In order to hopefully locate them, it would be necessary to grind the paint and filler off where the numbers should be. Remember to kneel down first and pray to almighty god that they're still there.
I know damn well what that boat is. Don decribed to me in detail what to look for and I inspected it personally...by the way, it is rigged with some very nice custom hardware.
LO

Mike Oxbig
05-23-2005, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=LakesOnly]Hey not my problem, and no grief here. :)
There indeed seems to be some confusion about the make of the boat. ChebbyKiller posted that it's a Canyon. Cowboy Bob thought it may be a Mako.
But, uh, Don Earmshar himself tells me it's a De Marco.
That about does it for me.
Anyone ever hear of Ray Barton?

Kurtis500
05-23-2005, 03:03 PM
:idea: I must have missed the earlier debates on some other threads...???....

Mike Oxbig
05-23-2005, 03:40 PM
:idea: I must have missed the earlier debates on some other threads...???....
Exactly :smile:
I have nothing against Hemis. We run 4 of them in the TAF. It is just a deal with Chevykiller being the biggest cheerleader and going for the "Perfect Cheer" for Hemis.

Blown 472
05-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Who's Ray Barton? Your puttin a Hemi in what? Terry Who? Are you a racer? do tell....
Roman 1 :confused:
Boy you chivvy cheerleaders are all the same. Funny you never see a chivvy setting records for AA/SS graze on sheep.

Roman 1
05-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Boy you chivvy cheerleaders are all the same. Funny you never see a chivvy setting records for AA/SS graze on sheep.
This is what you put all your stock in? One single class of car racing? Thats it? How many classes did you leave out... :sleeping: I like Hemis as much as the next guy but are they best? Who knows, its unproven and will probably remain so. Just be content in the fact that we have variety!
I guess nobody knows who Ray Barton is....poor guy. :(
R1 :cool:

Blown 472
05-23-2005, 06:23 PM
This is what you put all your stock in? One single class of car racing? Thats it? How many classes did you leave out... :sleeping: I like Hemis as much as the next guy but are they best? Who knows, its unproven and will probably remain so. Just be content in the fact that we have variety!
I guess nobody knows who Ray Barton is....poor guy. :(
R1 :cool:
Well since there are no chivvys in top fuel, top alky, blown or injected run in "a" dragster, then yes. I know who he is and have seen alot of his work.

wsuwrhr
05-23-2005, 06:28 PM
While I can respect the power put down by a chevy or ford, I have never heard a chevy or ford guy do the same for dodges. I just call it envy. I am just a mopar guy because my Dad works for Dodge, and that is what I grew up with.
I agree that an aspirated hemi is alot harder to make the same power as an aspirated chevy or ford, but throw a blower on it and watch out, the hemi head design is just akin to forced induction, nothing even comes close.
Any of the big three makers will make power, they all have a crank, heads, intake. It is just air in, and air out.
Hell in this day and age, with aftermarket blocks, cranks, rods, pistons, valves, heads, manifolds, just to list a few, who is to say which one is better? I think they are all the same, just depends on how much money you want to throw at them.
The Dodge is definitely the most expensive.
Brian

chevykiller426
05-23-2005, 06:43 PM
You guys know what...i've sat here and listened to you run down Chrysler for one reason or the other...run down Ray Barton because your too ignorant to know who he is and argue over what kind of boat I own...so if you have nothing constructive to say about any of this...just keep quiet...and Tony...i quarantee this boat will see water again...irregardless of what you or anyone else has been blowing in your ear...

Roman 1
05-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Well since there are no chivvys in top fuel, top alky, blown or injected run in "a" dragster, then yes. I know who he is and have seen alot of his work.
The rules of these classes play heavily on the combinations chosen by the participants...Maybe you don't recall the small block chevy of Rick Santos that owned the big block Hemis in TAD several years back...Check the records in National dragster, the stock classes aren't Hemi dominated.
Don't be so 1 dimensional when claiming supremecy, dazzle us with all types of motorsports. Why don't they run small displacement Hemis in sprint cars? Where are the Hemis in circle boat racing? Where are the hemis in hydroplane racing? As I said previously this is an unproveable debate and your credibility is not enough. :sleeping:
Chevy Killer, what kind of dork has a name like "Chevykiller"? Why do you need to be so "against the grain"?...Make yourself useful and call yourself "If I had a boat I would put a Hemi in it and win the chicken at BBSP" :coffeycup :notam:
R1 you guys are boring me :sleeping: :sleeping:

Mike Oxbig
05-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Terry, I've watched you for the past year degrade all that is not hemi. If you want me to quote your posts from Drag Boat Alley, I will. For someone who's done absolutely nothing with a flatbottom, you sure are an expert. The problem I have with you is that you don't give credit where it's due. And just as Roman 1 pointed out, even your screen name is inflammatory. Mark my words, my boat will hit the water soon too.
And oh by the way, the word is "regardless".
I've done a little research on Ray Barton. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's a pic of his shop.
http://www.raybarton.com/1shop.jpg
That place is dripping with horsepower.

Monkey Bung
05-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Terry, I've watched you for the past year degrade all that is not hemi. If you want me to quote your posts from Drag Boat Alley, I will. For someone who's done absolutely nothing with a flatbottom, you sure are an expert. The problem I have with you is that you don't give credit where it's due. And just as Roman 1 pointed out, even your screen name is inflammatory. Mark my words, my boat will hit the water soon too.
And oh by the way, the word is "regardless".
I've done a little research on Ray Barton. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's a pic of his shop.
http://www.raybarton.com/1shop.jpg
That place is dripping with horsepower.
It doesn't matter anyway, everyone knows Jeff Martin has the fastest Pro Stock pass in a Canyon. (WITH NO HEMI) :)

steelcomp
05-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Maybe you don't recall the small block chevy of Rick Santos that owned the big block Hemis in TAD several years
Hey R1...which years were those?? They sure weren't the years that the Olds of Alan and Blaine "owned" TAD. Four of them. Consecutively. '90, '91, '92, and '93. I think they took 6 division titles, as well. I don't remember Santos ever "owning" anything, except a lot of broken blocks. But your point is well made....on top of your head! :D (sorry...couldn't resist...you got that coming from a while back)

steelcomp
05-23-2005, 08:18 PM
The only real reason a Hemi head works so well in TF is the size and shape of the chamber. The heads really don't flow very well, except when the valve's WFO. They're just big, open ports with no real qualities. That's why they don't work NA on gas, but you can pack a TON of nitro in one! :D

LakesOnly
05-23-2005, 08:36 PM
You guys know what...you're too ignorant...and argue over what kind of boat I own...so if you have nothing constructive to say about any of this...just keep quiet...
So chevykiller, is that first (multi-)picture of the boat I posted the same one that you bought or what?
LO

wsuwrhr
05-23-2005, 08:39 PM
The only real reason a Hemi head works so well in TF is the size and shape of the chamber. The heads really don't flow very well, except when the valve's WFO. They're just big, open ports with no real qualities. That's why they don't work NA on gas, but you can pack a TON of nitro in one! :D
Yep.
Way heavy, way expensive, and way more complicated to build and maintain right. There isn't anything black-magic-special about a hemi, but, as mentioned by steelcomp, they work a ton better blown than anything else out there, and I am sure that was pretty much just by LUCK of design.
I don't drag down any other brand except in joking fashion. As I mentioned they all are the same shit, all have their own design problems, quite honestly the chivvy has the most going for it for 95% of OUR type of uses.
I will still run Dodges because I just like "running with the little guy."
Why can't we all just get along?
Brian
Some people just like stirring up shit for some reason.

wsuwrhr
05-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Cool boat, like I said, too bad you are so far from the west coast, it would be cool to see some more mopars on the water.
Post some pictures of the progress when you get some.
I sent you a private message.
Brian

Roman 1
05-23-2005, 08:57 PM
I don't remember Santos ever "owning" anything, except a lot of broken blocks.
You don't remember six national event wins, 3 division titles and 2nd Nationally in 94? Thats a lot of hemi spankings from a little small block chevy.... :notam:
R1 :sleeping: (lets move this to BR so I can escalate this conflict :devil: )

steelcomp
05-23-2005, 09:22 PM
You don't remember six national event wins, 3 division titles and 2nd Nationally in 94? Thats a lot of hemi spankings from a little small block chevy.... :notam:
Naw, we moved on to TF that year. Didn't do much lookin' behind. I'm not surprised, though, once Johnsons were outa the way.
Not taking anything away from Rick...most awsome SBC I ever saw!
I'm stayin outa bench racers...you guys are freekin weird over there! :2purples:

steelcomp
05-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Yep.
Way heavy, way expensive, and way more complicated to build and maintain right. There isn't anything black-magic-special about a hemi, but, as mentioned by steelcomp, they work a ton better blown than anything else out there, and I am sure that was pretty much just by LUCK of design.
I don't drag down any other brand except in joking fashion. As I mentioned they all are the same shit, all have their own design problems, quite honestly the chivvy has the most going for it for 95% of OUR type of uses.
I will still run Dodges because I just like "running with the little guy."
Why can't we all just get along?
Brian
Some people just like stirring up shit for some reason.
Brian, I'm betting it was just luck. The last thing I think Chrysler was thinking about in the earliest Hemi days was building a good blower motor. Besides, I don't thing the Hemi was their idea anyway. And just for clarification, I didn't say the Hemi was the best motor for blown app's, I said it was the best design for nitro...blown or not. Big chambers (175cc) = big bang. More nitro, more power.

wsuwrhr
05-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Brian, I'm betting it was just luck. The last thing I think Chrysler was thinking about in the earliest Hemi days was building a good blower motor. Besides, I don't thing the Hemi was their idea anyway. And just for clarification, I didn't say the Hemi was the best motor for blown app's, I said it was the best design for nitro...blown or not. Big chambers (175cc) = big bang. More nitro, more power.
I heard the hemi thing was Fords idea. Dodge stole it.
Yes Sir. I was thinking it.
Brian

Kurtis500
05-23-2005, 11:39 PM
The nostalgia classes are teaming with SBC. Jr Fuel is ruled by small blocks, and a-fuel by chevys.
Plenty of NA hemis, in fact all of modern A-fuel record setters are just that.
I dont try to know much about engine 'theory', but just make my motors last and run thier numbers. I can tell this about a hemi head, when you can look into the intake port and see daylight out the exhaust port, anybody knows that is a good design for boost pressure.
I do think most the motors are basically equal up to a point. There are a few basic benefits to each motor but 700-800 hp is achievable in any of the big blocks without killing the motor or budget. I built both the hemi and chevy. Without a doubt, the chevy makes more hp PER $ than the rest and the early hemi will murder your budget. That and the availability of parts (especially marine) makes it the obvious choice for most applications.

Blown 472
05-24-2005, 04:32 AM
The rules of these classes play heavily on the combinations chosen by the participants...Maybe you don't recall the small block chevy of Rick Santos that owned the big block Hemis in TAD several years back...Check the records in National dragster, the stock classes aren't Hemi dominated.
Don't be so 1 dimensional when claiming supremecy, dazzle us with all types of motorsports. Why don't they run small displacement Hemis in sprint cars? Where are the Hemis in circle boat racing? Where are the hemis in hydroplane racing? As I said previously this is an unproveable debate and your credibility is not enough. :sleeping:
Chevy Killer, what kind of dork has a name like "Chevykiller"? Why do you need to be so "against the grain"?...Make yourself useful and call yourself "If I had a boat I would put a Hemi in it and win the chicken at BBSP" :coffeycup :notam:
R1 you guys are boring me :sleeping: :sleeping:
So back in the day when they were racing the old hemis and the small block chivvy came out, funny they didn't jump on the band wagon and run those in top fuel, nor did they run the big block, in fact they copied the old hemi out of alum until the 426 came along and that took over but still no chivvy top fuel motor??? why is that??
Jetboat guru, how many STOCK GM parts do you have in your motors?

BILLY.B
05-24-2005, 05:51 AM
I know for a fact that the boat in question is a (correct spelling) "DIMARCO"!!!. I was there when Chewy from Color & Design painted the boat and when Don picked the boat up. And by the way WHO really cares.......JUST GET-R-DONE!!!!. PS..If it were me i'd put a VW engine it. Probably get just as much talk as this HEMIorrhoid engine has. :rollside:

Heatseeker
05-24-2005, 05:54 AM
I seem to remember a certain blue stock car spanking the snot outta everybody for many years in NASCAR. Wasn't that a N/A Hemi? :idea:

Mike Oxbig
05-24-2005, 06:37 AM
So back in the day when they were racing the old hemis and the small block chivvy came out, funny they didn't jump on the band wagon and run those in top fuel, nor did they run the big block, in fact they copied the old hemi out of alum until the 426 came along and that took over but still no chivvy top fuel motor??? why is that??
Jetboat guru, how many STOCK GM parts do you have in your motors?
Blown, you are missing the point. (Atleast my point) I have nothing against Hemi's. I would only run a hemi in TAF. We ran Brad5 stuff. My point is that I am tired of Chevykiller badmouthing all that is not a hemi. As far as design, make, model, year, CCs etc etc I don't give a crap. If it is fast then run it.

Jeanyus
05-24-2005, 07:06 AM
The exact same one...bore sizes big enough to drop a 2 liter soda bottle into...4.50 bore and 4.50 stroke....
Thats good to know, I'll get one next time I get the urge to push Pepsi bottles through my engine.

Sangerboy
05-24-2005, 08:04 AM
:D For some reason I thought that boat was a DiMarco. What is the HIN? I'm still looking for the original Illusion, the Sanger that is Ivory Hunters sibling.

Sangerboy
05-24-2005, 08:05 AM
I know for a fact that the boat in question is a (correct spelling) "DIMARCO"!!!. I was there when Chewy from Color & Design painted the boat and when Don picked the boat up. And by the way WHO really cares.......JUST GET-R-DONE!!!!. PS..If it were me i'd put a VW engine it. Probably get just as much talk as this HEMIorrhoid engine has. :rollside:
Thanks Chiefy, I was beginning to wonder

LakesOnly
05-24-2005, 08:14 AM
I know for a fact that the boat in question is a (correct spelling) "DIMARCO"!!!. I was there when Chewy from Color & Design painted the boat and when Don picked the boat up. And by the way WHO really cares.... :rollside:
I was going to post the same exact thing...who cares if its a Canyon or Mako or DIMARCO...all that really matters is that it's a well constructed, properly rigged, proven boat. (In my case, I just was not willing to pay the asking price at the time I was looking at it.)
In regards to the spelling, my fauxpa (or however THAT's spelled) comes from the pink slip for my HIN DMB boat, which is printed "De Marco." I know it's incorrect, but I've just become accustomed to seeing it in my head whenever I type. OH NO! MAYBE MY BOAT IS REALLY A SANGER! :D :rolleyes:
LO
Hey, I think I now have something to do today...hang out at DMV and get thepink corrected...

Heatseeker
05-24-2005, 08:19 AM
...Hey, I think I now have something to do today...hang out at DMV and get thepink corrected...
That'll sure be alot of fun!

funnycarmike
05-24-2005, 08:43 AM
Hey, why don't we all just run an ARIAS 8.3 liter? The best of both worlds, right? Well not ARIAS any more.....Fontana......No, Miner Bros. ..thats it!!! Oh well, I still call 'em ARIAS in honor of Nick SR. Reliable, lots of power and easy to maintain. This engine kicked ass on water and asphault on alky and gas. Also showed a lot of promise on fuel when Bill Miller ran them in his top fuel car. I think if more fuel teams had done some r&d with them it would have been a player but with the 426 and all the data they have on those, kind of pointless. Just my .02 cents worth. And yes, I run a chevy in my alcohol F/C. Sorry, I know it goes against the grain but I could not see running Chrysler power under a Chevy bodied car. Ooops, wrong board, sorry, back to boats............Michael. :idea:

chevykiller426
05-24-2005, 12:48 PM
After A Twenty Minute Phone Call With Don & Phyllis Ermshar This Afternoon...The Boat That I Own And Called A Canyon Is According To Don....A Canyon!! I Also Contacted Wayne Mettler Who Did The Bottom Of This Boat And He Also Said It Is A Canyon...These Two Folks Have More Experience With Flatbottoms Than Any Ten People In Dragboat Racing...The Boat Was Painted By The Late Eddie Tolvar...Wanna Argue With Them Go For It! By The Way Mike Oxbig...This Is Not Drag Boat Alley We 're On Here If You Didn't Notice...I Don"t Give A D**n About That Site...More Bench Racers Over There Than Actually Own Boats...The Picture Of Barton's Shop That You Pulled Off The Internet...I've Seen The Insides And Out A Million Times... So What Does That Prove?? Your Boat Is Gonna Be In The Water Soon...Well Thats Great...So What...Come On Down and Take A Number Boy...I'm Assuming Your Issuing Me A Challenge...Bring Your Money Or Your Pink Slip Pal...You Guys Want To Have An Intelligent Conversation About Racing Or Just Bi*ch Slap Each Other??...Chevykiller426 UserID Inflammatory...So What??

Mike Oxbig
05-24-2005, 12:58 PM
I know for a fact that the boat in question is a (correct spelling) "DIMARCO"!!!. I was there when Chewy from Color & Design painted the boat and when Don picked the boat up. And by the way[SIZE=4]
I believe this guy over anyone else. He wouldn't lie.
It's not bad to own a Dimarco, it is like a moped only better.

V-DRIVES RULE
05-24-2005, 12:58 PM
It must be a different boat you talking about than the one in the pic???

uclahater
05-24-2005, 01:38 PM
After A Twenty Minute Phone Call With Don & Phyllis Ermshar This Afternoon...The Boat That I Own And Called A Canyon Is According To Don....A Canyon!! I Also Contacted Wayne Mettler Who Did The Bottom Of This Boat And He Also Said It Is A Canyon...These Two Folks Have More Experience With Flatbottoms Than Any Ten People In Dragboat Racing...The Boat Was Painted By The Late Eddie Tolvar...Wanna Argue With Them Go For It! By The Way Mike Oxbig...This Is Not Drag Boat Alley We 're On Here If You Didn't Notice...I Don"t Give A D**n About That Site...More Bench Racers Over There Than Actually Own Boats...The Picture Of Barton's Shop That You Pulled Off The Internet...I've Seen The Insides And Out A Million Times... So What Does That Prove?? Your Boat Is Gonna Be In The Water Soon...Well Thats Great...So What...Come On Down and Take A Number Boy...I'm Assuming Your Issuing Me A Challenge...Bring Your Money Or Your Pink Slip Pal...You Guys Want To Have An Intelligent Conversation About Racing Or Just Bi*ch Slap Each Other??...Chevykiller426 UserID Inflammatory...So What??
Are you a DEMOCRAT :hammerhea :2purples: :hammer2:

Rexone
05-24-2005, 01:39 PM
The liklihood is increasing daily R1 on its own :smile:

Mike Oxbig
05-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Son I am gonna tell ya,
you are the one preaching that hemis are the only way to go and Chevys and fords etc are junk. I seem to remember Joe Don lewis running 7.60's with a pinch head ford. David Key has been known to build big Ford horsepower. So who are you to be telling anyone that Hemis are the shit? You have never even driven a flatbottom with a hemi in it. Hell, you dont even know what kind of boat you own. :sleeping:

FLYTE RISK
05-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Well general consensus here is the boat in the pic. is a dimarco, Are you sure you have a Hemi your building and not a BBC..?????? :hammerhea :cool:

LakesOnly
05-24-2005, 02:40 PM
After A Twenty Minute Phone Call With Don & Phyllis Ermshar This Afternoon...The Boat That I Own And Called A Canyon Is According To Don....A Canyon!! I Also Contacted Wayne Mettler Who Did The Bottom Of This Boat And He Also Said It Is A Canyon...These Two Folks Have More Experience With Flatbottoms Than Any Ten People In Dragboat Racing...The Boat Was Painted By The Late Eddie Tolvar...Wanna Argue With Them Go For It!
Is it this boat?
OR is it this boat?
http://www.spect8foto.com/archive/baf210.jpg
Also, since Don has owned more than one boat called "Illusion" (not to mention the hydro), are you sure he knew which boat you purchased? Just wanna be sure, that's all.
I went and looked at the first boat (top photo in this post) with the yellow 5-spoke-rimmed trailer. It was advertised as a Dimarco and that's what Don said it was, too. That thread may be viewed by Clicking Here. (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36783)
LO

WILDERTHANU
05-24-2005, 03:14 PM
This thing.... :argue: .
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1472ch80illusion-med.jpg

LakesOnly
05-24-2005, 03:27 PM
This thing.... I thought it was a Howard deck with a DiMarco bottom... :argue: .
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1472ch80illusion-med.jpg
How old is that photo?
LO

chevykiller426
05-24-2005, 06:48 PM
Paul...it is the first boat in your pictures...when it was advertised on Dragboats.com it was listed as a Demarco...but when i got ahold of Wayne Mettler he told me it was a Canyon...and after everyone threw their two cents in in the last day...i called Don Ermshar at his office today and asked him...i was told that indeed it is a Canyon...the photo of the boat you have was taken in Chowchilla 1983....i read your post on the 2003 thread and your description of the boat was pretty close to being right on Paul...thats why it is taking longer than we expected to get it done...its body work and trying to match up all that paint thats taking the time...basically almost a complete resto job...

dossangers
05-24-2005, 07:02 PM
1982 De Marco. Mr. Earmshar described it to me as his absolute most favorite boat and expressed some very fond memories of it.
He got this boat back from the painter and assembled it the same week and got to the Texas Shootout by that Friday. He won in that boat its very first time out. The $1500 purse was spent over the next two days in Texas, celebrating. He did 152 MPH in this boat (no capsule). Ran it until I think 1984, then sold it to a guy around Stockton, CA.
It resurfaced about 1-1/2 years ago in Oregon and I scrambled up there--cash in hand--to buy it. Because of the history, it was really something to see but in the end I passed and went with another boat.
When Sonny De Marco quit building boats, Don brought Mako Boats onto the scene. Today, Sonny De Marco lives in Redding.
LOSO WHICH IS IT i dont think canyons were around then were they!

Bob Hostetter
05-24-2005, 07:38 PM
In the late 80's I bought the Canyon Marine house flatbottom (Liquid Energy) after they stuffed it at Puddingstone (or was it Firebird?) According to the owner it was a Cole TR 3 as were all Canyon runnerbottoms at that time.
Bob

WILDERTHANU
05-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Paul...it is the first boat in your pictures...when it was advertised on Dragboats.com it was listed as a Demarco...but when i got ahold of Wayne Mettler he told me it was a Canyon...and after everyone threw their two cents in in the last day...i called Don Ermshar at his office today and asked him...i was told that indeed it is a Canyon...the photo of the boat you have was taken in Chowchilla 1983....i read your post on the 2003 thread and your description of the boat was pretty close to being right on Paul...thats why it is taking longer than we expected to get it done...its body work and trying to match up all that paint thats taking the time...basically almost a complete resto job...
Man I hope Don dosent mind getting office calls about his old boats....lol. What year were the first Canyons being built... I dont think I've seen a 1980?? Are they not the same mold??

FlatStupid
05-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Paul...it is the first boat in your pictures...when it was advertised on Dragboats.com it was listed as a Demarco...but when i got ahold of Wayne Mettler he told me it was a Canyon...and after everyone threw their two cents in in the last day...i called Don Ermshar at his office today and asked him...i was told that indeed it is a Canyon...the photo of the boat you have was taken in Chowchilla 1983....i read your post on the 2003 thread and your description of the boat was pretty close to being right on Paul...thats why it is taking longer than we expected to get it done...its body work and trying to match up all that paint thats taking the time...basically almost a complete resto job...Dear Mr. Killer you bring whatever and I'll bring some POS Chevrolet and we will go in circles or straight for a quarter or so. Winner with leave with a Dimarco a Canyon a Sanger or something, but one things for sure you wont have tow anything home! Do hire your GUN, cause I already have! :hammer2: Call me 406 586-1341 :D The hemi wont be winded but she'll be going home with somebody else :wink:

steelcomp
05-24-2005, 08:23 PM
I thought a Canyon was basically a Howard???

Mike Oxbig
05-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Dear Mr. Killer you bring whatever and I'll bring some POS Chevrolet and we will go in circles or straight for a quarter or so. Winner with leave with a Dimarco a Canyon a Sanger or something, but one things for sure you wont have tow anything home! Do hire your GUN, cause I already have! :hammer2: Call me 406 586-1341 :D The hemi wont be winded but she'll be going home with somebody else :wink:
:eek: :2purples: :eek: :2purples:

FlatStupid
05-24-2005, 08:37 PM
:eek: :2purples: :eek: :2purples:Mr. Oxbig just how tight is that helmet strap? :2purples: Ca mon buddy I'm tryin' to get us a job! :eek:

469 the coyote
05-24-2005, 11:22 PM
A canyon is a dimarco with some bottom work. The first canyons were built in 80 or 81, since I have and 82. The mold was redone in 84 with less rocker in the bottom.
I thought a Canyon was basically a Howard???

uncle kracker
05-25-2005, 08:11 PM
M Ove
O Ver
P Eople
A Re
R Acing

FlatStupid
05-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Seems the Killer has gone missing. Go fiqure! :yuk:

chevykiller426
05-26-2005, 03:47 AM
I'm not missing...i'm ignoring you...hey Flat Stupid...if you are the consumate professional flat driver you say you are...how comes your not in Red Bluff with your boat this weekend???

racingfastflats
05-26-2005, 05:48 AM
Chevy, welcome to the real dragboat forums and be prepared to defend yourself. Over on Drag Boat alley the guys aren't as tough as the boys here on the left coast. Joe Don and myself gave you ample warning about posting your Hemi. This is basically a Chevy/FLATBOTTOM thread and the guys will go out of their way to defend that COMBINATION. Nothing against your hemi, but that combination unless its blown hasn't really proven itself. Best of luck and i will continue lurking because it does stir the pot

FlatStupid
05-26-2005, 05:57 AM
I'm not missing...i'm ignoring you...hey Flat Stupid...if you are the consumate professional flat driver you say you are...how comes your not in Red Bluff with your boat this weekend???Never said I was the "consumate professional". But I am a part of the "consumate professional" team. WE will be a Red Bluff! Hope we see you there. :notam:

racingfastflats
05-26-2005, 05:58 AM
Terry, until you get the hemi to run a 6.98 @ 149 or 7.00 @ 149 in a pro gas flat, I think I would stick to the pinch head stuff. Hey, check out who is #1 qualifier at Columbus, its WJ with a GM pinch head. :hammerhea
Tony you are right on the e.t., Jeff ran 6.98 @ 153

Kurtis500
05-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Nothing against your hemi, but that combination unless its blown hasn't really proven itself. Best of luck and i will continue lurking because it does stir the pot
Proven over and over again.
If its NA on gas, your right though.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/503/71afuel.jpg

chevykiller426
05-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Craig...believe me if i lived alot closer i would definitely like to see Red Bluff...everything i heard about it was positive...you guys on the left coast are very fortunate to live there...Racing Fast Flats...chevy thread or not...i will continue to occasionally post and "stir the pot" as you have referenced...the world would be a very boring place if everybody ran chevys in racing...and i'm not much concerned about the guys on the left coast...dragboat racing is the same wherever you go...they like their chevys...i like my hemi...in all seriousness...good luck to everyone racing this weekend....

Jeanyus
06-12-2005, 11:07 AM
I don't think it will float.
Proven over and over again.
If its NA on gas, your right though.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/503/71afuel.jpg

Kurtis500
06-12-2005, 04:13 PM
I don't think it will float.
You only need to FLY!

voodooCanoe
06-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Tony you are right on the e.t., Jeff ran 6.98 @ 153
Tony, didn't you run a 6.99 in the Abyss boat??