PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley 12JB-A with a leak...first boat...please help!

dhall50
05-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Well i recently inherited my first boat..i took it out on the lake last week with no problems. Took it out today and after the first spin around the lake i checked under the shell to find a good amount of water. At idle water was spraying(not gushing but spraying fairly good) enough to turn on my overflow bilge pump. It was spraying from the spot marked in these two pics. What would be the easiest way to fix this and the best way? Please go into detail...i am 19 and familiar with mustangs not boats. Thanks for any help you may have to offer.
http://www.geocities.com/d_j_h_on23/jet006.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/d_j_h_on23/jet005.jpg

MudPumper
05-22-2005, 08:34 PM
It's probably coming from the bolt hole. Sometimes they thread right into a vane in the bowl. Pull the bolt out, let it dry out really good, blow it out with an aircompressor too. Squeeze a bunch of silicone into the hole and put the bolt back it. Should fix your problem. Good luck. I had a similar problem and this took care of it.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-22-2005, 08:38 PM
It appears that your bowl is leaking. Take a socket and tighten up all those bolts. Also, it could be your transom adapter leaking. Go around to the back of the boat and run a fresh bead of silicone around the bowl where it meets the transom adapter. Try that first. Those are the easiest to fix.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-22-2005, 08:39 PM
It's probably coming from the bolt hole. Sometimes they thread right into a vane in the bowl. Pull the bolt out, let it dry out really good, blow it out with an aircompressor too. Squeeze a bunch of silicone into the hole and put the bolt back it. Should fix your problem. Good luck. I had a similar problem and this took care of it.
Very true. I forgot about that.

Oldsquirt
05-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Bowl-to-transom adapter O-ring is what he is pointing to.
You could change it-----OR-----run a bead of silicone between the bowl and the adapter. You do this on the outside of the boat. I use Permatex clear.

Red Horse
05-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Take all the old stuff out with a razor blade first, then put the new stuff in. :D

Oldsquirt
05-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Take all the old stuff out with a razor blade first, then put the new stuff in. :D
Quite true if there is any. :D

dhall50
05-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Bowl-to-transom adapter O-ring is what he is pointing to.
You could change it-----OR-----run a bead of silicone between the bowl and the adapter. You do this on the outside of the boat. I use Permatex clear.
Yes that what i am pointing to. So to do the silicone, do i have to remove the square shell on the back of the boat and then unbolt the 8 bolts and run silicone in place of the O ring? Or are you saying to just run silicone without removing anything?
Sorry for my ignorance. Is there a picture that would show me a jet with the terms pointer out such as bowl and transom adapter?
ps. i forgot to mention it seems to stop once the engine is shut down.
Thanks for the quick reply's guys!

Oldsquirt
05-22-2005, 08:56 PM
You can take the "square shell", aka Transom adapter, off and replace the o-ring. Far simpler is to just run that bead of silicone between the two. NO disassembly required. The "bowl" is the large round bowl-shaped(hence the name) piece protruding through it.

Red Horse
05-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Stops when the engine off?? Must be on the pressure side of the bowl. I would try the bolt idea first.
Looking at the back of the boat, right up the nozzle. That big round part is the bowl, the square thing that goes over it is the transom adapter. There is a grove in the bowl that holds an O ring. I run a bead of silicon around it. I also leave the old O ring in. Just to slow down on the water coming in incase the silicon fails.
GE makes a badass new silicon that is clear and seems to like jet boats :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :) :) :wink:

FOURQ
05-22-2005, 09:03 PM
ps. i forgot to mention it seems to stop once the engine is shut down.
if thats the case i think it might be the bowl bolts but id do both things explaned to be shure its fixed

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Sorry for my ignorance. Is there a picture that would show me a jet with the terms pointer out such as bowl and transom adapter?
Thats not ignorance bud,your learning. Your in the right place to learn;) You will be fine;) Keep asking questions. "The only dumb question is the one that isnt asked".

dhall50
03-14-2007, 04:03 PM
So I just got around to pulling the transom adapter off. The part i think was leaking is beneath the O ring. Thats where the bowl bolts to the other part of the jet right? Well there seems to be a gap in the gasket in the area show in the picture between the bowl and the side with the bolts. I ordered the transom gaskets and hopefully the right gasket to fix the leak. Anyone else have that gasket fail? The boat is really old after all. Is it as easy as removing those bolts and pulling the two halves apart to replace the gasket? Thanks.
and yes its nearly two years later heh.

atxwrangler
03-14-2007, 04:48 PM
IT'S QUITE POSSIBLE THE GASKET WAS OLD AND BRITTLE,SO NATURALLY IT JUST GAVE UNDER PRESSURE.YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THE BUSHING IN THE BOWL WHILE YOU HAVE IT OFF TO REPLACE THE GASKET ALSO MIGHT WANT TO CHECK FOR IMPELLAR WEAR!:eek:

jrork
03-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Keep asking questions. "The only dumb question is the one that isnt asked".
You mean there's some left? I thought I had asked all of them already.... Congrats on the new boat dhall50.

4604me
03-14-2007, 07:23 PM
I can almost bet it's the bowl gasket, and not the transom gasket or oring. I had the same leak in the exact same spot.( blowen out bowl gasket). If you have the transom adpter off, you might as well take the bowl off for a look see. hell while your at it, you mite as well rebuild the whole pump, if it's that old. it's not that hard and there's alot of info on these boards. good luck Steve

inwo
03-15-2007, 12:43 AM
Is it as easy as removing those bolts and pulling the two halves apart to replace the gasket? Thanks.
Yes............................................... ..............................................