PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Wrecked/Crashed Circle Boat

Cowboy Bob
05-24-2005, 08:41 AM
Was talking to a buddy about building Boats and Molds available and it occurred to me that there must be at least a couple "Scrap" Boats around?
I know a while back there was a Barron with the Deck detached and also the "K-777" was recently wrecked (or so I heard)....
Anybody know where I might find something like that?
Any of them saved from the Sawzall?
The idea would be to use it as a starting point for a "Plug"

circleboatKIDD
05-24-2005, 04:24 PM
Ive got a Revenge ill post a when I get home, and you can check it out.

GofastRacer
05-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Tom B has a Bisemeyer hull for sale, even has some hardware!..

Cowboy Bob
05-25-2005, 06:25 AM
Tom B has a Biesemeyer hull for sale, even has some hardware!..
Tom has 2 of them for sale, a Biesemeyer and a Bezer (plus a Howard too, so actually 3) Both Circle Hulls look like pretty good deals.
The other Boat that sounded interesting is the Advantage which is on DB.com as an "Advantage-Hughes". I got a little bit of info on the Advantage hull but they are pretty rare.
I was thinking more along the lines of building a plug from a wrecked Boat so I could end up with a Mold. I think there will come a time when the Boats that are out there now just get too old and used up to be safe. There are not many people currently making new Circle Boat Hulls right now.

Cowboy Bob
05-25-2005, 06:26 AM
Ive got a Revenge ill post a when I get home, and you can check it out.
You can E-Mail me directly if you would like at rfurman@ncen.com

Kurtis500
05-25-2005, 08:03 AM
Seems like a wrecked boat may give you a slightly warped or bent plug to work with. What about buying a good hull and taking a mold from that. Then you can sell it for what you paid and have a straight mold too.
just thinking out loud.

GofastRacer
05-25-2005, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE=Cowboy Bob]Tom has 2 of them for sale, a Biesemeyer and a Bezer (plus a Howard too, so actually 3) Both Circle Hulls look like pretty good deals.
Right but the bare one(Biesemeyer)would make a good candidate for a mold!.. And for what he wants for it, you could turn around and sell it!..

GofastRacer
05-25-2005, 08:59 AM
Seems like a wrecked boat may give you a slightly warped or bent plug to work with. What about buying a good hull and taking a mold from that. Then you can sell it for what you paid and have a straight mold too.
just thinking out loud.
Exactly!.

V-DRIVES RULE
05-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Tom has 2 of them for sale, a Biesemeyer and a Bezer (plus a Howard too, so actually 3) Both Circle Hulls look like pretty good deals.
The other Boat that sounded interesting is the Advantage which is on DB.com as an "Advantage-Hughes". I got a little bit of info on the Advantage hull but they are pretty rare.
I was thinking more along the lines of building a plug from a wrecked Boat so I could end up with a Mold. I think there will come a time when the Boats that are out there now just get too old and used up to be safe. There are not many people currently making new Circle Boat Hulls right now.Who the hell is going to Buy a boat made from wrecked boat mold COME ON NOW what the hell are you thinking! a NOBODY building a circle boat from wrecked parts that will sell REAL WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cowboy Bob
05-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Exactly!.
Valid points!
My thinking is that the "Plug Boat" would remain as a "Plug" after pulling the Mold off it.
I think that there would be some changes made to the plug, cosmetically and otherwise, so I'm not sure if it would be a "Usable" Boat after I am done.
I am not really interested in "Splashing" a Biesemeyer, there are already enough Biesemeyer Molds out there already as well as people building Biesemeyers...you could probably buy a Biesemeyer Mold cheaper than you could make one.
The other way of thinking would be to just use the "Plug" for measurements and Ideas and build a true "Plug Boat" from scratch, esentially a new design.
Just thinking out loud......

Cowboy Bob
05-25-2005, 09:20 AM
Who the hell is going to Buy a boat made from wrecked boat mold COME ON NOW what the hell are you thinking! a NOBODY building a circle boat from wrecked parts that will sell REAL WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As always, just full of kind words and encouragement.

dossangers
05-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Unless your Julian Pettingill i dont think theres a chance of selling a new type circle boat. besides its already been done to DEATH!

Kurtis500
05-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Unless your Julian Pettingill i dont think theres a chance of selling a new type circle boat. besides its already been done to DEATH!
I agree, if you got a drum of gelcoat, resin and rolls of glass I would find something else to make non-boat related, thats where the money is at.
Besides, if you make changes to the existing style hulls you will end up with more criticism about the boat from the almighty skeptics before the first one ever hits the water. Unless its a labor of love and you dont care what others think give it a second thought.

Kurtis500
05-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Valid points!
My thinking is that the "Plug Boat" would remain as a "Plug" after pulling the Mold off it.
I think that there would be some changes made to the plug, cosmetically and otherwise, so I'm not sure if it would be a "Usable" Boat after I am done.
I am not really interested in "Splashing" a Biesemeyer, there are already enough Biesemeyer Molds out there already as well as people building Biesemeyers...you could probably buy a Biesemeyer Mold cheaper than you could make one.
The other way of thinking would be to just use the "Plug" for measurements and Ideas and build a true "Plug Boat" from scratch, esentially a new design.
Just thinking out loud......
You can pull the mold off a good boat. Then splash a workable plug off the mold. You can then remodifiy your new plug while retaining proper flange and attachment locations and still reshaping whatever you want. You will keep in line with the cap of the boat if you do this.
I still like my previous post better though.
Good luck

Cowboy Bob
05-25-2005, 12:06 PM
You can pull the mold off a good boat. Then splash a workable plug off the mold. You can then remodifiy your new plug while retaining proper flange and attachment locations and still reshaping whatever you want. You will keep in line with the cap of the boat if you do this.
I still like my previous post better though.
Good luck
Thanks for the thoughtful insight.
It does seem that the general concensus is that unless certain "Wizards of Black Boat Magic" are involved it's an inferior design and could never be competitive.
And at the end of the Day, Circle Boat Racing is kind of dying off. All everyone wants to do is build play Boats.

xracer
05-25-2005, 12:50 PM
cowboy, if you take a short trip over to IHBA (www.ihbaracing.com) and review the K-boat rules you will discover that just about anything interesting in hull design will be illegal. the rules are more restrictive than APBA.
you might be able to race a clone of a current K-boat.
originally APBA K-boats had almost no rules except being a somewhat flat-bottom. V-hulls would be legal. pads would be legal.
it's always interested me that as the racers tighten up the rules to eliminate new designs interest falls off. and as innovation disappears so does much of the spectator appeal. but the racers investment is not at risk due to innovation.
you might also take a trip over to the Unlimited Lights (www.ulhra.com) and see the results of a minimal hull rules, fairly open engine rules racing organization. there are some great racing clips there. the boats range from lighter than lights as an entry class to really fast supercharged almost unlimited hydroplanes.

Cowboy Bob
05-25-2005, 01:10 PM
cowboy, if you take a short trip over to IHBA (www.ihbaracing.com) and review the K-boat rules you will discover that just about anything interesting in hull design will be illegal. the rules are more restrictive than APBA.
you might be able to race a clone of a current K-boat.
originally APBA K-boats had almost no rules except being a somewhat flat-bottom. V-hulls would be legal. pads would be legal.
it's always interested me that as the racers tighten up the rules to eliminate new designs interest falls off. and as innovation disappears so does much of the spectator appeal. but the racers investment is not at risk due to innovation.
you might also take a trip over to the Unlimited Lights (www.ulhra.com) and see the results of a minimal hull rules, fairly open engine rules racing organization. there are some great racing clips there. the boats range from lighter than lights as an entry class to really fast supercharged almost unlimited hydroplanes.
Thanks for the info but I was unable to locate a "Rules" area on the IHBA website.

xracer
05-25-2005, 02:54 PM
home page. scroll down to "ihba 2005 rule book", then click on "click here to the IHBA 2005 rule book".
K-boat is towards the end of the long book

worlds fastest,revenge boats
05-25-2005, 08:31 PM
just so you know THATS THE SAME RULES THAT WE ALL RACED UNDER FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS,thats why i keeped them in the rules when i set up the k,s for ihba. john

Wildchild80
05-25-2005, 09:32 PM
just so you know THATS THE SAME RULES THAT WE ALL RACED UNDER FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS,thats why i keeped them in the rules when i set up the k,s for ihba. john
JOHN
are you going to Red Bluff this weekend?
Dave

xracer
05-26-2005, 05:01 AM
great question bob. in one short link you found the hero's, perpetrators and, he who "kept" the rules.
K-boats are a great class. hope you have success in your venture.

Cowboy Bob
05-26-2005, 06:28 AM
great question bob. in one short link you found the hero's, perpetrators and, he who "kept" the rules.
K-boats are a great class. hope you have success in your venture.
Although this has been interesting, let's bring a couple things to light....
First, I have not read the Rules word for word but I will say that the current IHBA K-Boat Rules look like a carbon copy of the APBA Rules.
What is wrong with that?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the idea was to resurrect K-Boat racing, not create a whole new class. If the Rules were opened up it would leave everybody with an existing non-capsuled K-Boat on the sidelines potentially. What good would that do for the sport?
Kudo's to John for working on this and trying to keep the sport alive.
Financial gain? perhaps. John is one of about 3-4 People that owns a Mold for a competitive K-Boat (or SS) Hull.
Do I think he adopted the "Old Rules" for his gain? doubtful. I think he did it because he wants to see the sport grow.
I know for a FACT that he has called people that have not raced in YEARS to try and get them to come out and participate,people that also BUILD BOATS! if he was trying to corner the market and set up the rules just to sell Boat Hulls that would not be the way to do it.
Second, It is my belief that there probably is room for improvement in current Hull design. I would also tend to think that a wider, bigger Boat would be better on the typical Southwest U.S. course due to the lower Boat Speed and tighter turns. I do not think ANYONE is going to get rich making Flatbottom Circle Boat Hulls though, even if your initials are J.P.. There is a limited market for the type of Boats we are into, and it's shrinking rapidly.
Third, and most important, I have no intention or desire to take a finished, competitive Boat and "Splash" or copy it. #1 because it's illegal and #2 because hopefully people that knew would have enough integrity not to buy one.
Some food for thought: It was suggested that there are better ways to make Money than building Boats which is true. This was never about Money, it's just something I want to do.
The guy that will make a ton of Dough is the one that figures out how to meet the new sound requirements with an Exhaust for Flatties that does not look lame. Some of you may have picked up on the fact that I race Motorcycles in the Desert, we are now subject to sound testing both for play riding and in AMA Sanctioned Races (96db) so I know if the pressure is on us it will get much worse in populated areas around the Water.