PDA

View Full Version : went to the navy recruiter today..

DUNDUN
04-27-2006, 08:50 PM
got alot of info on delayed entry.
got the results of my ASVAB test.. i scored a 64.. passing is a 35, max is a 99. he said i did good, and that im pretty qualified. im pretty stoked on this. in a year from now, i might be looking forward to boot camp. :)

JetBoatRich
04-28-2006, 04:24 AM
Congratulations and good luck :cool:

Freak
04-28-2006, 04:29 AM
Congrats. I know is a overseas but check it out. For the first time ever. A spooks wanted advertisement.
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13520903,00.html

SHIFTY
04-28-2006, 04:29 AM
got the results of my ASVAB test.. i scored a 64.. passing is a 35, max is a 99. he said i did good, and that im pretty qualified. im pretty stoked on this. in a year from now, i might be looking forward to boot camp. :)
WHAT WAS YOUR RECRUITER's NAME? CABADDU?

RitcheyRch
04-28-2006, 04:51 AM
Congrats and good luck.

Windy
04-28-2006, 05:34 AM
Have fun at Great Lakes. :)

Stoneman
04-28-2006, 05:42 AM
It's not too late, join the Marines instead!!!! You can learn stuff and kill people too. :crossx:

CBadDad
04-28-2006, 05:45 AM
I did a hitch int he Navy 20 years ago. Changed my life for the better, although I thought it sucked at the time. Be careful and don't believe everything the recruiter tells you. If you read the small print, there is a clause in there that is called "Needs of the Navy". Basically what that means is that they can change the plan at anytime and there ain't $#!t you can do about it. Not sure if I'd do it again, but my life ain't all that bad and my current job is based on what I did in the Navy. If you ever have any questions, feel free to PM me, and I'll give you my .02 cents.
Good Luck!

partytime
04-28-2006, 05:47 AM
Boot Camp... Navy boot camp is more like Camp Snoopy. :crossx: Good luck to you. You are making a great decision by volunteering for the service.

river redy
04-28-2006, 06:11 AM
My son is overseas right now on a crusier, best thing I made him do and now he doesn't reget any of it, so far he has been to Russia,Hong Kong,Thialand,Singapore and going to the Red Sea then off to Australia, then to Hawaii, then home all in 6 months, He had no choice I was going to kill him or he could stay alive so he made the choice (lol) :)

MagicMtnDan
04-28-2006, 06:36 AM
Congratulations! You've made a great choice, and it's one I wish more young men would make.

Mayhem
04-28-2006, 06:59 AM
Congradualtions. I did four years enlisted as Aviation Ordnance and loved every minute of it. Helped my life as well. Now four years removed I'm going back in after graduation from college as an Officer. GOOD luck!! I hope it all works out for you :)

Caljamr
04-28-2006, 06:59 AM
I did 6 years in the NAVY from 85-91 and i've been to so many ports of call and across the US so many times i never regret my choice.
The one piece of advice i can give about the NAVY is "The NAVY is what you make it". Just like in life. Work hard and do a good job and have a positive attitude. If you do this then the rest just comes easy. GOOD LUCK.

famaffair
04-28-2006, 07:06 AM
[QUOTE=hallett flatbottom kid]got alot of info on delayed entry.
Do u attend Vista or Valley?

Badger301
04-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Congrats!!! You'll get out of it what you put in...go in with a good attitude and enjoy it....you'll visit a lot of places you'd probably never see if you didnt join, of course you may hit some places you dont want but take the good with the bad...I wouldn't trade my military experience for anything...one last thing...like others have said dont take everything your recruiter says as gold...talk to others who have been there...Best of luck to you!!

spectratoad
04-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Congrats. I did the delayed entry many years ago. I just retired a year and a half ago. Not by choice but the medical board said it was time. :mad: I would do it all over again. Hated some of it but looking back it was the best time of my life. I have been around the world courtesy of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. (USS Kennedy CV-67, USS Vandegrift FFG-48 & NAS Fallon)
As was said, It is what you make of it. Lots of education opportunity while you are out steaming around the globe. See the world and you will talk about it for the rest of your life. :)

Jesster
04-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Conrats, I did 4 years from 85-89, 2 cruises on the USS Nimitz and 1 cruise aboard the USS Kitty Hawk. If you have a choice, try to get into the aviation side of the Navy. I was an Aviation Machinist Mate meaning I worked on Jet engines. F-14's to be exact and the differences between being stationed aboard a ship vs. airwing, (meaning only aboard ship for cruises) was amazing.
I never heard any airwing personel saying they wish they were aboard ship but I heard from shipboard personel all the time that they wish they were airwing.
I didn't get into any field related to my rate, I'm a Chiropractor now, but they were available and best of all is you will have the GI bill to take advantage of when and if you decide to get out.
1 world cruise and 2 westpac cruises showed me more of the world that I think I ever would have gotten to see otherwise.
The best thing about the military was that it showed me that I didnt want to work for somebody else the rest of my life. On the other hand I still keep in touch with some great friends that are still serving and they love it.
Again congratulations and good luck, I am proud of anybody that makes the decision to serve their country.
Shaun

DUNDUN
04-28-2006, 05:12 PM
i go to vista... thank you all for the input. i will definitely take that to heart. i would like to get on a carrier and do something with aviation, thats my goal.

hoolign
04-28-2006, 05:17 PM
It's not too late, join the Marines instead!!!! You can learn stuff and kill people too. :crossx:
Nice..you should write recruiting adds :rolleyes:

Chromegorilla
04-28-2006, 07:24 PM
I just got out of the Navy in October of 05. I was on submarines. If you have any questions feel free.....

Boatcop
04-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Call the Recruiter back and tell him you've changed your mind.
Then call the Coast Guard Recruiter. :crossx:

76ANTHONY
04-28-2006, 07:35 PM
when i went in years ago, i did the delayed entry program. good job..makes ya grow up fast.

76ANTHONY
04-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Conrats, I did 4 years from 85-89, 2 cruises on the USS Nimitz and 1 cruise aboard the USS Kitty Hawk. If you have a choice, try to get into the aviation side of the Navy. I was an Aviation Machinist Mate meaning I worked on Jet engines. F-14's to be exact and the differences between being stationed aboard a ship vs. airwing, (meaning only aboard ship for cruises) was amazing.
I never heard any airwing personel saying they wish they were aboard ship but I heard from shipboard personel all the time that they wish they were airwing.
I didn't get into any field related to my rate, I'm a Chiropractor now, but they were available and best of all is you will have the GI bill to take advantage of when and if you decide to get out.
1 world cruise and 2 westpac cruises showed me more of the world that I think I ever would have gotten to see otherwise.
The best thing about the military was that it showed me that I didnt want to work for somebody else the rest of my life. On the other hand I still keep in touch with some great friends that are still serving and they love it.
Again congratulations and good luck, I am proud of anybody that makes the decision to serve their country.
Shaun
i did the same 4 years in the army, working on huey uh-1h's. good times back then..

DUNDUN
04-28-2006, 09:44 PM
a friend of mine is doing delayed entry into the marines.. if explored all branches.. air force has less of an air fleet than the navy.. army and marines are just not for me. i love boats.. and aircraft.. navy seems like a good way to go.

Windy
04-29-2006, 07:44 AM
i love boats.. and aircraft.. navy seems like a good way to go.
One of the reasons I joined the Navy...do you know what your rate is going to be?

Jesster
04-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Hey, here is some info on rates if you decide to go aviation.
AC - Air Traffic Controller
Very nice paying jobs when you get back to the civilian world, but some positions can be high stress. This was my 1st choice but because of some trouble while still in high school it didn’t work out. High ASVAB required if I remember right. I had an 89.
AT - Aviation Electronics Technician
If you like electronics this is the one to do and good applications in the civilian world
AE - Aviation Electrician's Mate
Same as above just differnt systems if I remember right.
AW - Aviation Warfare Systems Operator
This would be a good one if you want to be aircrew but you probably wouldn’t be on an aircraft carrier I believe most positions are on P3's and similar I cant remember if S3's have enlisted aircrew or not. There is some pretty rigorous training involved. I think you would get some of the same training as the seals (physically) I had a couple friends do this and they loved it. Not as much carry over to civilian but if you wanted to be a Tech rep for one of the big aircraft companies this would be great.
AD - Aviation Machinist's Mate
This is what I did. Working on aircraft engines not a lot of carry over to civilian but a good step toward your A and P license which is short for airframes and power plants and that is very desirable if you want to stay in the aviation field when and if you get out.
AO - Aviation Ordnance man
(Missiles and bombs and delivery systems) Lots of flight deck time these guys bust ass, great group of guys. Don’t know how much carry over to civilian though.
AME - Aviation Support Equipment Technician
These guys work on the seats and safety equipment in aircraft mostly don’t know about carry over to civilian
AMS - Aviation Structural Mechanic
Work on the airframe it’s the other side of you A and P license. quite a bit of flight deck time.
AMH –
these guys work on the hydraulics lots of times share space with the AME's again quite a bit of flight deck time.
PR - Aircrew Survival Equipment man
Probably the easiest job in the Navy almost no flight deck time they work on the pilots flight equipment. Parachutes, G-suits things like that. You do a lot of sewing and repairing. This is one I personally wouldn’t want to do.
Pick a few you think would be good for you and talk to your recruiter about advancement in each of the rates you picked and choose the one that has the most advancement opportunity. It comes down to money a lot of times especially with the lower ranks so the quicker you make at least E-4 the better. You have to test to make rank for E-4 and above and if there are to many people in a rate advancement is extremely difficult, they only allow so many people in that rate and if any pay grade is full nobody advances to it. So picking a rate with easy advancement is important.
If you have any questions PM me I would be glad to let you know what I remember.

DUNDUN
04-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Hey, here is some info on rates if you decide to go aviation.
AC - Air Traffic Controller
Very nice paying jobs when you get back to the civilian world, but some positions can be high stress. This was my 1st choice but because of some trouble while still in high school it didn’t work out. High ASVAB required if I remember right. I had an 89.
AT - Aviation Electronics Technician
If you like electronics this is the one to do and good applications in the civilian world
AE - Aviation Electrician's Mate
Same as above just differnt systems if I remember right.
AW - Aviation Warfare Systems Operator
This would be a good one if you want to be aircrew but you probably wouldn’t be on an aircraft carrier I believe most positions are on P3's and similar I cant remember if S3's have enlisted aircrew or not. There is some pretty rigorous training involved. I think you would get some of the same training as the seals (physically) I had a couple friends do this and they loved it. Not as much carry over to civilian but if you wanted to be a Tech rep for one of the big aircraft companies this would be great.
AD - Aviation Machinist's Mate
This is what I did. Working on aircraft engines not a lot of carry over to civilian but a good step toward your A and P license which is short for airframes and power plants and that is very desirable if you want to stay in the aviation field when and if you get out.
AO - Aviation Ordnance man
(Missiles and bombs and delivery systems) Lots of flight deck time these guys bust ass, great group of guys. Don’t know how much carry over to civilian though.
AME - Aviation Support Equipment Technician
These guys work on the seats and safety equipment in aircraft mostly don’t know about carry over to civilian
AMS - Aviation Structural Mechanic
Work on the airframe it’s the other side of you A and P license. quite a bit of flight deck time.
AMH –
these guys work on the hydraulics lots of times share space with the AME's again quite a bit of flight deck time.
PR - Aircrew Survival Equipment man
Probably the easiest job in the Navy almost no flight deck time they work on the pilots flight equipment. Parachutes, G-suits things like that. You do a lot of sewing and repairing. This is one I personally wouldn’t want to do.
Pick a few you think would be good for you and talk to your recruiter about advancement in each of the rates you picked and choose the one that has the most advancement opportunity. It comes down to money a lot of times especially with the lower ranks so the quicker you make at least E-4 the better. You have to test to make rank for E-4 and above and if there are to many people in a rate advancement is extremely difficult, they only allow so many people in that rate and if any pay grade is full nobody advances to it. So picking a rate with easy advancement is important.
If you have any questions PM me I would be glad to let you know what I remember.
Wow thanks alot. I was seriously considering air traffic controller, that would probably be my first choice, I'd like to get on the flight deck. I would also love to get into AD or AO. Thanks again for the info.

Desert Rat
04-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Call the Recruiter back and tell him you've changed your mind.
Then call the Coast Guard Recruiter. :crossx:
and be a MUD DUCK?? Guard our shores and protect out wh0res :D
They wouldn't let me jion the CG, Said i had to be at least 6' tall! It was expliained to me that if the boat ever sinks you can walk back to shore! :crossx:
J/K Alan
USN 75-79
As stated earlier try at all costs to go airwing!!! I was in P-3's and seen more in 4 years than most see in a career. I was a AE which led to my job today doing flight research for NASA. Like others said try and take advantage of the education opportunities

Froggystyle
04-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Brown-shoe homos... ;)
Go engineering... everyone else is just a passenger.
HT1 (SEAL) (Ret.)
I cannot recommend any rate higher than HT. Functional, topical knowledge on fabrication, welding, project completion and planning, blueprint reading, plumbing, fiberglass construction, sheetmetal construction, etc...
Best rate in the Navy IMO. I was initially going for DC because I was a firefighter, but HT came my way and I took it. Plus, it was a source rate for the SEAL teams.
Aircraft are fun, but you are working directly for officers, which is good and bad. There is a lot of "lowest rung" mentality running around on the flight deck unless you have a set of khakis on.

Sleek-Jet
04-29-2006, 01:37 PM
I went to electronics school with a bunch of guys that decided that was how they were going to spend their GI bill...
By and far, the former Navy and Marine guys knew their shit backwards, forward, and sideways. I had a few instructors that were Navy trained and were the same way. It was impressive. For sure they had a leg-up on us civilians when it came to knowlege and theory and application.

DUNDUN
04-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Aircraft are fun, but you are working directly for officers, which is good and bad. There is a lot of "lowest rung" mentality running around on the flight deck unless you have a set of khakis on.
ya know that crossed my mind. im sure there are alot of stuck up individuals on the flight deck. but hopefully one day ill become an officer, id love to go an academy but there is no way my grades will let that happen.

Flyinbowtie
04-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Congrats, and much respect to you for even considering serving or country.
I am alittle over halfway home from a road trip to meet up with and ride home with my oldest son, who just finished up 3 years of active duty with the Army.
Chris read this thread, and would share the thoughts of those who feel that you should take your time and read EVERYTHING the recruiter puts before you prior to signing it. They have been known to skirt the edges every once in a while.
The GI Bill is an awesome educational tool!

Boatcop
04-29-2006, 02:53 PM
and be a MUD DUCK?? Guard our shores and protect out wh0res :D
They wouldn't let me jion the CG, Said i had to be at least 6' tall! It was expliained to me that if the boat ever sinks you can walk back to shore! :crossx:
J/K Alan
USN 75-79
As stated earlier try at all costs to go airwing!!! I was in P-3's and seen more in 4 years than most see in a career. I was a AE which led to my job today doing flight research for NASA. Like others said try and take advantage of the education opportunities
I'm only 5'10". I lied about my height. Apparently it worked for 28 years.
I suggested the CG here strictly because we are typically around "our" kinds of boats. Although there are also the opportunities for AE/AM/AT type fields, and more than enough "see the world" sea time available. Heck, I've been from Pole to Pole (No Bench Racer comments, please) and all over the North and South Pacific. 8 years total Sea Time in 13 years on Active Duty.
Our training and duties are less specialized that the Navy. I was a Machinery Technician (E-8), a combination of Navy EN/MM/BT/GT/MR Ratings. Most of our Aviation Ratings are combined, too. AE/AT/AM are combined into one, so you get cross trained in every aspect of Aviation Maintenance.
I had a P3 Crewman for a neighbor when I was stationed at Barbers Point, HI. He was in one of those super secret spook squadrons. You know? The ones who had different tail markings for every deployment. His wife never knew where exactly he was, and he wasn't allowed to tell her. Although he got around that by saying "I saw Joe and Jane yesterday". And she new that "Joe and Jane" were stationed in Tokyo, Seoul, Diego Garcia, etc.
Nice job flying around taking pictures of Soviet subs.

hava life
04-29-2006, 05:25 PM
I did 4 yrs. in the navy and it was good for me 83-87. I was lucky boot camp was a joke at great lakes, I was stationed on a destroyer tender. That was the best duty you could ask for, 46% wemen on board and we just went straight to the ports no playing out at sea to much.

Tahiti350
04-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Okay, one minor reality check here. I'm at 24 1/2 years Air Force, but have been stationed on a Navy Base (NAS Rota, Spain), so I can speak from experience.
If you don't mind hotracking (sharing a bed with someone on the opposite shift), and having a 2' by 2' area to store ALL of your gear and personal stuff, then the Navy is great. That's on board. On Land you'll be sharing a 10' by 10' room with 1-3 other young enlisted, or 2 to a room for E-5 and above.
Navy food was the second blandest food I've ever eaten, close to the food at Fort Bragg, N.C.'s enlisted mess. I lived in the Navy dorms for 2 years, and ate at the mess daily at Rota. Most of the navy troops I knew did 6 months shore and 6 months ship duty, and yes, the "Needs of the Navy" are the prime directive. Also, If you ain't Khaki, you ain't shit (Khaki = senior enlisted or officer). old school power trip still going on.
Air Force: 1+1 rooming, Private room with shared bathroom/common area with one other person. Non-smokers will only have non-smoker cross room-mate(for lack of a better term). Stabile work enviroment, home based average 2-3 years, with 120 day deployments, normally 1 per year. Best food in the Armed Forces (in my opinion, and I've eaten a lot). Excellent training. Navy may have more overall aircraft, but Air Force has the cutting edge technology and civilian compatability to get an aviation job straight after a 4 year hitch. Our unit dorms have won the Base dorm inspection competition for the last 3 quarters, and has $2500 in an account for dorm quality of living improvements, at the direction of the dorm coucil, which is run by and for the dorm residents.
Our base has had millions of $$ in consruction to bring it to the newest standards of the Air Force Quality of life standards, and is scheduled to get a brand new Gym/Fitness facility in the next couple of years. If you have a good attitude and work ethic, and can stay out of trouble off duty, you'll have no problems getting promoted, probably ahead of normal timelines. Re-training is an option at the 4 year mark, if your not happy with the first job, or if you just want something different.
Talk to the Air Force recruiter, and the Navy recruiter, and tell them you want to see the bases and facilities yourself, and talk to some of the younger troops you meet to get thier input before you decide. I've been stationed at 5 bases in 24 1/2 years, McChord AFB, Wa for almost 11 of that. The 6/6 Navy plan (6 months on a boat, 6 months on shore) will get old fast, and after a couple of months locked down on board, you'll be anxouis to joint the party at the bar, and get in trouble.
Above all, remember the recruiters job is to provide fresh meat to the training units, to provide to the line units. Recruiters will say what you want to hear to make the deal, to them your a number that helps get them promoted, nothing more. They're not your friend and they damm sure aren't looking out for your best interest.
I'm not now, nor have I ever been a recruiter, but I have been an Air Force Military Training Instructor (Boot Camp instructor, in other words), and I've seen the damage done by unscrupulois recruiters, and had to listen to the SOB stories about "my recruiter promised...". The Air Force has been a great life for me, and I plan to stay until I can't anymore. The deployments are part of that life and I will miss them after I retire.
My $1 worth, take it at face value. Not trying to down the Navy, just giving the Air Force view. If you want to talk about the realities, pm me. Straight answers to your questions.
Gary B> Tahiti350
Master Sergeant, US Air Force
24 1/2 years, 19 of that fixing Tin (airplanes)

Jesster
04-29-2006, 10:25 PM
I just read the Air force vs. Navy post and have to set a few things straight.
When I enlisted in the Navy I had some thoughts that I wished I would have enlisted in the AF, it is, easiet duty minus a lot of the perks. The 6 on 6 off is crap, unless you are stationed aboard ship, but as far as the aviation side goes every other enlistment is probably going to be sea duty. That means 4 years sea 4 years shore. The sea duty will consist of 6 months sea 1 year shore, the shore duty will consist of 4 years shore. (exceptions do occur) During that year you will do 1-2 week rotations at different bases around the country. We spent 1-2 weeks in crappy places like Yuma, El Centro, Las Vegas for a month at a time (with the air force and we always kicked their ass during red flag) :argue: :p and a couple times we went to Adak Alaska but if I told you about that I would have to kill you. :p
Air Force has the best food in the military hands down.
Unless you are aboard a sub or small ship there is no hot racking. When in home port you have the same options for housing as air force. I was stationed at a few different Naval bases during that time and never shared a room with more than 1 person. (as an E3). Does it happen? yes. But to my experience which isnt as great as the 24.5 years dedicated by tahiti350 not that often. My rooms when I didn,t live off base were more like 15 x 20, not an apartment, but that was an incentive to move off base, which is something I would do as soon as possible and available to any enlisted person.
Dont let anybody fool you if you aint E-6 or above, in any branch, you aint shit. Power trips occur in every branch but its worse in the officers, bunch of panty waist pre madonnas that think their shit dont stink cause they had some College. With the officers that are pilots I gotta give em their props but the rest (for the most part) deserve about as much respect as the person you share a rack with in boot camp.
Is life better in the Air Force? Yes.
BUT, you will never see the number of ports and the excitement that you will in the Navy. If you get out of the Navy in 4 years you will have seen more of the world than somebody that has been in the AF for 20. (exceptions do occur. but not often.)
I remember a running joke when I was in the Navy and actually wished the Navy would have done this. The AF takes all its base construction money and builds barracks and commisaries and chow halls before building runways. Then when they are out of money they tell the government, hey we have all this set up you have to increase our budget so we can finish the runways. The Navy on the other hand does just the opposite. Who knows if it's true.
If you are serious and think you will stay in for the full 20, go Air Force, you will see a number of bases all over the world for exteded periods and the barracks and food are a little better. If you think you would like to see the world and experience alot in a 4 - 8 year enlistment, Go Navy. Here is 1 cruise year ( 6 months) aboard an Aircraft Carrier for me, San Diego home port stationed at Miramar (Marine base now) Hawaii for 5 days, Phillipines for 5 days, Hong Kong for 7 days, Singapore for 5 days, Thailand for 5 days, Palma De Malorca Spain for 5 days, Nice France for 5 days then into Norfolk VA. and a flight home to San Diego. that was one cruise, I did 3. I use to feel like I got the raw end of the stick cause I did 3 cruises in one enlistment, very few people are that unlucky, or lucky now that I look back on it.
There is a reason why the best pilots in the world are Navy pilots, nuff said.
Boatcop also has some very good points as far as Coast Guard goes. Those guys don't get the respect I think they deserve.
Shaun
Regardless of the way you go I salute you.

Chromegorilla
04-30-2006, 04:26 AM
Tahiti, you're waaaaaayyyyyyyy off track. First off, "hot racking"..... nope. I just spent 9 years in the submarine force (seperated in October 05) and I never once saw anyone have to "hot rack". Ever.
As far as living quarters...... When I was an E3-E4, I lived in the barracks. By choice. And I had my own room, with plenty of ammenities. When I was an E-4 when I moved out in town and started to rent an appartment.
Also, look at advancement with each branch. You see people retiring from the airforce at E-5. Screw that. You rarely see that in the Navy. I have only met 1 person who retired as an E-5 and the only reason he did was because he got busted from E-6 to E-5 towards the end of his carrer.
I know specificaly in the submarine force, advancement is great. There a quite a few people that have made E-7 in 5 years. I don't believe that to be the case in the other branches. I was an E-5 right before my 2 year mark.
Oh and if you join the Navy, and 100% true if your in the submarine force, you won't be over in the middle east walking around as a bullet sponge. Personally I'd rather be cruising the sea's and launching missiles at towel heads than walking around the streets with them taking pot shots at me.....
And after all this, I would recommend one last thing. Join the Coast Guard. I would. plus if you really like boats and boating, you will around boats in the CG, probably not in the Navy.
Good Luck

Boatcop
04-30-2006, 10:19 AM
There will always be rivalry and friendly ribbing between the Services. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, pros and cons. One thing I have noticed is that there are far more prior Navy, Army, Air Force and Marines switching service to the Coast Guard, than the other way around.
The bottom line is, everyone who puts on a uniform in Service to this great Nation has my utmost respect and my eternal gratitude. It doesn't matter if they are on the front lines in Iraq or Afghanistan. Washing dishes at Fort Hood, Staring into a Radar screen in North Dakota, Or doing safety and Security patrols in San Diego Harbor.
They all are performing a vital service to the United States of America, and to those who do, all I can is:
Thank You!

Daytona100
04-30-2006, 11:17 AM
There will always be rivalry and friendly ribbing between the Services. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, pros and cons. One thing I have noticed is that there are far more prior Navy, Army, Air Force and Marines switching service to the Coast Guard, than the other way around.
The bottom line is, everyone who puts on a uniform in Service to this great Nation has my utmost respect and my eternal gratitude. It doesn't matter if they are on the front lines in Iraq or Afghanistan. Washing dishes at Fort Hood, Staring into a Radar screen in North Dakota, Or doing safety and Security patrols in San Diego Harbor.
They all are performing a vital service to the United States of America, and to those who do, all I can is:
Thank You!
Well said.

Cole Sanger
04-30-2006, 03:02 PM
I just sent you a PM about the Navy. My personal experience as an AT(I Level - AIMD/SEAOPDET). I was considered sea duty the 4 years I was in. Worked in an air conditioned building most of the time. Went on one workup - 2 months, and one deployment - 6 months. The shop I was in was so cold on the ship I had to wear a jacket - the guys on deck really liked seeing that when we were in the gulf and it was 110 with 99% humidity. I will admit I hated about 90% of the time I was in, but it has really helped me now that I am out. I had a problem with all of the extra crap you have to do - uniform inspections, standing watch, low pay (less than poverty in most cases), but liked my job (electronics). I am in the semiconductor field now - field service engineer. I work for a company at Intel. Good luck.
If I had it to do over again, I would have done better in high school and went to college. If I had to pick a military field again, I would have joined the Air Force - They get paid extra money for just about everything, including substandard pay for staying in Navy barracks.

lakewake
04-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Thank You!
Well Done Boat Cop.Congrats to our new enlistee and Thanks, To all that serve our country Past,Present and Future. US Army 79-82

DUNDUN
05-01-2006, 02:35 PM
thanks again for all your input, i posted this here cuz i know there are more than a few veterans on this site. i appreciate all the great information and ill definitely use it as a tool in deciding when and where ill go.

UnionJack
05-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Join the Coast Guard.... and have some real fun