PDA

View Full Version : Looking for DJ

KineticoH20
04-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Need DJ
I am looking for a DJ for the inlaws 50th anaversary. Sept 3 a sunday durring the day. If anyone knows of one let me know, the hall wants an arm and a leg for one. It will be held in Whittier Ca,

Tom Slick
04-28-2006, 06:42 AM
PM Boatfloating, he is an awesone DJ. He is out in Havasu for the Poker Run this weekend, so don't expect a reply until Monday.

KineticoH20
04-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Thx Tom, anyone else?

voodoomedman
04-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Thx Tom, anyone else?
No cuz the guy I know of I don't think is as cheap as he used to be. But I will give a word of caution. Don't just look at price. Some guys show up and for what you paid them you could just save your money and hook up your IPOD to some nice speakers. Interview the guys and make sure your on the same page. Also have them play some music for you and see how they transition between songs and all that jazz too. The best guys you won't even notice the song changed half the time they dial it in so well. If there is silence between songs the guy is a complete hack.

topless
04-28-2006, 08:57 AM
My brother in law is a DJ and really good too. He also does karaoke and shiat. If ya want to call him, tell him Alison sent you. His name is Jack Johnson and his number is 951-371-9098.

Music to my Ears
04-28-2006, 09:32 AM
I work for Essence Entertainment and we have eight DJ's on the roster. Talk with either Mike or Robin (714)979-8933. Tell them Kurt referred you. :)

Kiddunot
04-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Try Sonic Entertainment - 949-285-3876

topless
04-28-2006, 10:40 AM
DJ's do to musicians what illegals do to America.How do you figure that when they play the musicians music? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BLOWN HOWARD
04-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Try starlight DJ in Upland- They have great prices and have a great music selection

mbrown2
04-28-2006, 11:25 AM
PM Boatfloating....the boyz got skillz when it comes to music....His music hops just like his boat...:)

topless
04-28-2006, 11:40 AM
The recording artist gets paid through sales, not through how many time a CD gets played.
A DJ charges just shy of what a band might cost...one guy. A band will bring a PA, play requests, etc.Let me get this straight. A DJ doesn't have a PA system or play requests but a band does so a DJ is like an illegal immigrant but the band is like a citizen? You sound a little retarded.

Froggystyle
04-28-2006, 11:53 AM
DJ's do to musicians what illegals do to America.
Idiot...
As a DJ and a musician I take offense from both sides.
You clearly have no idea what mentality it takes to create, mix or write music yourself. I went from a professional musician (guitar player) to retired veteran in one parachute accident and have not been able to play guitar correctly since. I took up DJ'ing because it was so similar to writing and playing music while allowing me to physically do it.
To DJ you must have a great sense of timing, beats, rhythm and mechanics, as you not only have to beat match, but know your music, the breaks and lulls, record and note the key signature for each record and BPM counts... not to mention shlep enough sound around with you to make a concert happen. Playing guitar is easy in comparison.
As far as copywritten music etc... what DJ's play, the world buys. My ear for good music sells records, plain and simple. A large amount of my music is labeled "For promotional use only" with the express knowledge that it is used during events to promote the music. Most of my music is sent to me through record label pools that want to get the newest music straight to performing DJ's for exposure.
Learn the facts, don't be so derisive and come off of it.
As far as hiring a DJ, all of the earlier advice was very sound. In my opinion, you should look for someone with a large digital catalog, not just vinyl or CD's. You will be able to do more requests (especially from the way back machine, like you will need to do for a 50th anniversary) and not worry about the ones the guy left at home. I would also specify that you are looking for a DJ for oldies or swing music otherwise you may get the new Jay-Z instead of Sinatra.
Lastly, a great MP3 player or Ipod with a playlist personally selected tends to work out really, really well in most cases. Just load 5 hours worth of good music on there and call it a day.

Froggystyle
04-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Let me get this straight. A DJ doesn't have a PA system or play requests but a band does so a DJ is like an illegal immigrant but the band is like a citizen? You sound a little retarded.
I have a PA, and take requests... and he sounds more than a little retarded...

That Guy
04-28-2006, 11:58 AM
I have a PA, and take requests... and he sounds more than a little retarded...
Alright Wes...that guy isn't invited to my next Havi party..... :crossx:

Her454
04-28-2006, 12:21 PM
You are batting 1000 today.
First Topless and now Froggy - :rollside:

topless
04-28-2006, 12:24 PM
I'd rather see a band and see musicians be paid. Always.
But a recording artist doesn't get paid when another band plays THEIR music so according to your philosophy, you do to recording artists what illegals do to America. You need to be deported. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

topless
04-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Ascap and BMI send representatives to bars and other venues to find out which band plays what tunes...then they pay the artist their royaties.
Froggy, sorry about the parachute and your guitar playing. I don't think I could do without playing.And they go to ALL the bars in the country every night, make a list of EVERY song that the band plays then the band has to pay royalties to each artist whos song has been palyed? Yeah right.

Froggystyle
04-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Ascap and BMI send representatives to bars and other venues to find out which band plays what tunes...then they pay the artist their royaties.
Froggy, sorry about the parachute and your guitar playing. I don't think I could do without playing.
I have played close to 100 gigs or so and have never once had an ASCAP or BMI rep show up. Additionally, I have played a pile of covers...
I know what you mean, but you are way off base.

SOCALDETAIL1
04-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Try this guy, His name is Jose he lives in Whittier 562-322-8169

SOCALDETAIL1
04-28-2006, 03:20 PM
The recording artist gets paid through sales, not through how many time a CD gets played.
A DJ charges just shy of what a band might cost...one guy. A band will bring a PA, play requests, etc.
Not true a artist gets payed for sales and SPINS (everytime a song is played on the radio a signed artist makes money.)

Froggystyle
04-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Not true a artist gets payed for sales and SPINS (everytime a song is played on the radio a signed artist makes money.)
Not just signed artists either. You can copyright your stuff though ASCAP and get paid. I did, and have. Almost enough to buy a coffee in fact. ;)

lakewake
04-29-2006, 01:14 PM
As a former restaurant and bar owner I can tell you a good DJ will triple the bar sales. They work the tempo of the music at a certain pace until they reach top songs on the play list. Everyone is out on the dance floor getting thirsty. They drop the pace; everyone back to the tables to order drinks because the last one they ordered is water or scooped by the cocktail waitress. They build it back up and do it all over again. It is quite a craft if done correctly.
ASCAP. American Society of Authors Composers and Publishers. Way back when I'm sure it was a well-intentioned program. Whenever I got a visit from these guys they always came off as the mob. Their attitude was "Pay us or else". They didn't come around with a clipboard and count or tally songs. They determined what they where going to charge by things like seats in the entertainment or bar area, hours of operation, live entertainment vs. background music etc. Then they charged a monthly fee according to what they wanted.
BMI.. Broadcast Music Inc. They assessed their charges somewhat in the same way and simultaneously with ASCAP. If you are using Taped, CD, Muzak, TV Satellite or any other broadcast media for background music in the restaurant or bar.
Like Froggystyle said, probably enough to buy a cup of coffee gets back to the artist. The rest stays in the system to pay all those admin salaries.