PDA

View Full Version : If you have kids

Bre
05-25-2005, 07:08 PM
When was the last time you read them a book? I have been doing it every night for about the last month or so now. It makes me feel good... and the kids love it. I just bought some color and shape, abc, number, and animal books from Sams Club....... we just started those this week.... it has pieces that fit into the book like a puzzle..... each page fits one piece... anyways.. the kids are learning a lot and having fun doing it. Just thought I would suggest to everyone that has kids to take 20 or so mins. out of their night and read to them if you don't already.... or if they are old enough.. have them read to you. Sometimes we forget to do the small things.

LVJAKAZ
05-25-2005, 07:13 PM
My son is 15 and I always read to him every-night when he was little. He just took the standardized testing at school and he said he did best in reading :) :)

Kim Hanson
05-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Reading to your kids is really good, better than throwing in a video and walking away...that make me think of that TV Show " Dream On " ! Computers are good also though, my neices play games and all kinds of shit off that puter they have and that is a plus to me, since computers are the way life is going now........( . )( . )........ :cool:

LVJAKAZ
05-25-2005, 07:21 PM
The only time I see my son is when he is on Restriction from the computer...like right now HaHa :)

Mandelon
05-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Its a great day for UP and those Richard Scarry books were the best. What do People do all day...we used to read to our kids all the time. They get very little TV or videogame time. They both score in the top percentiles.....its one of the best things you can do for em.
Some of my son's earliest words were "Daddy read a book"......
I can't the books out of his hands, he reads in the crapper, in the car, all the time. He read Harry Potter on the way home from the Havasu Walmart. I mean like 800 pages in 6 hours....he is wacky to read.
Good Job Bre, keep it up. The Laura Ingalls books are good reading too. They really learn to look forward to hearing them, and they use their imagination to fill in the scenes....

LUVNLIFE
05-25-2005, 07:33 PM
I used to read to my kids every night, but now my 5 year old reads to me and his baby sister. It's amazing really, to see him reading when 9 months ago he barely knew his letters. He's reading like 3rd grade books too, like Curious George and stuff. It's cool because his baby sister would hardly sit still long enough for me to read a couple pages and she'll sit riveted to his every word while he churns through page after page.
Good post, Bre. :D
I'm in the same boat. We would read to my daughter every night now she reads to us. Her little brother already mimics her and pretends like he is reading, and he's only two.

LVJAKAZ
05-25-2005, 07:42 PM
When my son was 4 he would read the newspaper to his Grandfather... we were just talking about this the other day :):)

rodnjen
05-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Our daughter is 5 1/2 months and she loves for us to read to her. I like to think it is doing her a lot of good, but I think we are the ones getting the most from it.

bilgewiper
05-25-2005, 07:55 PM
My daughter is 14 and she got read to alot as a youngster. Now she is preety much addicted to reading, a great student who does not procrastinate like both of her parents. We are very proud of her, and I know it had something to do with reading. When I was about 10 or 11 my mom and I read out loud the whole KGV of the Bible. Did it in about a year, a little every day. All the begats, etc, every word outloud. It did nothing for my "salvation" but it made a huge improvement in comprehension etc, that all my teachers noticed, or so my parents tell me.

Wicky
05-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Bre,
Nurse Wicky reads to our 6 year old nightly. I fill in on occasion.
My boy is finishing Kindergarten and has tested on the 4th grade level in reading and the 3rd grade level in math. He is now enrolled into GATE program and has a 1 on 1 teacher. I'm a very proud Dad. :D
Wicky
P.S. Boise School District is in the top 20th percentile in all standard test scores.

Havasu Hangin'
05-25-2005, 08:07 PM
I fill in on occasion.
Do you read him the "Weapons Cleaning 101" manual that is standard issue in every Idaho kindergarten?
:D

Wicky
05-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Do you read him the "Weapons Cleaning 101" manual that is standard issue in every Idaho kindergarten?
"Weapons Cleaning 101" That was pre-school!!!! Shiat. Kindergarten year it was how to take down a ten point Bull Elk and dress it out!! :D

THATJEFFGUY
05-25-2005, 08:48 PM
When was the last time you read them a book? I have been doing it every night for about the last month or so now. It makes me feel good... and the kids love it. I just bought some color and shape, abc, number, and animal books from Sams Club....... we just started those this week.... it has pieces that fit into the book like a puzzle..... each page fits one piece... anyways.. the kids are learning a lot and having fun doing it. Just thought I would suggest to everyone that has kids to take 20 or so mins. out of their night and read to them if you don't already.... or if they are old enough.. have them read to you. Sometimes we forget to do the small things.
Bre..if I come over, will you tell me a bedtime story too ? :D
Seriously though, those little things mean sooo much to the kiddies !

moneypit
05-25-2005, 09:03 PM
I read to my 7 year old on Monday.

MOBrien
05-25-2005, 10:29 PM
My wife and I switch off reading to the litt'lins every other night. I usually end up reading two or three books to 'em and have a ton of fun with it. Next thing I know.....their asleep and it's off to the HB boards I go. :D

nyeti
05-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Reading is very important in our house. My 3 yr. old daughter loves books, and we spend a fortune on books.

bigq
05-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Very important..ranks right up there with breast feeding :D
I read to my now 10 year old every night..she is in the GATE program now at school. my 5 year old likes me to read also, but she is more into the computer games like reader rabbit and such.

RiverOtter
05-26-2005, 03:12 AM
We have been reading to them at bed time since they were born. Well... now their homework calls for them to read to us. But part of their life now. They are both excellent readers. ;)

Bre
05-26-2005, 06:24 AM
Bre..if I come over, will you tell me a bedtime story too ? :D
Seriously though, those little things mean sooo much to the kiddies !

riverbound
05-26-2005, 07:12 AM
My kids actually bring their books to me every night so I can read to them. I read the book to them, then when I am done they read the book to me. Neither one of them knows how to read but its fun listeneing to them tell the story. Its also amazing how much they absorb and can repeat back.

Wicky
05-26-2005, 07:19 AM
See, we're like brothers that were separated at birth, except I'm the better looking one. :D
Yes, but I got the BIG penis!!!! :D

Bre
05-26-2005, 07:36 AM
My kids actually bring their books to me every night so I can read to them. I read the book to them, then when I am done they read the book to me. Neither one of them knows how to read but its fun listeneing to them tell the story. Its also amazing how much they absorb and can repeat back.
Kailey does the same thing.... but sometimes she makes the story better :wink:

Wicky
05-26-2005, 07:43 AM
When ya got it flaunt it!! :D

Wicky
05-26-2005, 07:56 AM
The terms of your probation clearly suggest otherwise. :D
How did you know I was on probation? They told me I could work again as soon as the rash cleared up!!

Freak
05-26-2005, 07:56 AM
My sister is a few years older than I and when we were young I would sit and do her home work with her. Man let me tell you it really paid off for me. I blew through mathamatics/english/science in school cause I already knew it.
I wish I could remember all that stuff now. LOL....

Ziggy
05-26-2005, 05:12 PM
My daughter was read to every day of her life until she came to reading it herself around 3 1/2 or 4...this includes prenatal. Now she's a 6th grade HonorRoll student in the 95 pertile of the state with close to a 3.8 GPA(she doesn't like to do math but can).
We attribute it to our reading to her early on. She's a book worm and can read all day long these days. Funny part was at 7 and 8 she was correcting her HighSchool brothers grammar and spelling who didn't get the same attention at his age...
Read to your kids daily---you and they will be much better off later in life.

DogHouse
05-26-2005, 06:50 PM
We read with the munchkins almost every night. Mom does most of the work but I help too. It's really cool when our 7 yr old takes charge and reads to us. She's just completing first grade but has now passed the 4.0 test which puts her at a fourth grade reading level. Does pretty darn good at math too, knows the times tables like I can't believe and even some fractions too! Kids are amazing! I'm just a little bit proud...
:cool:

sorry dog
05-31-2005, 05:28 PM
Yep, she does that too, except she usually holds the book upside down. :D
She does something that really freaks me out. I think she has my photographic memory. When we ride in the SUV, we usually play a Disney movie. If you listen closely, you can actually hear her reciting the lines, word for word. At first, I thought it was because she had seen the movies so many times, but then I realized she does it with movies she's only seen once or twice. It's kind of spooky, she's not even 3 yet. :D
Now try the Southpark Movie and see what happens... :smile:

sorry dog
05-31-2005, 05:30 PM
My daughter was read to every day of her life until she came to reading it herself around 3 1/2 or 4...this includes prenatal. Now she's a 6th grade HonorRoll student in the 95 pertile of the state with close to a 3.8 GPA(she doesn't like to do math but can).
Not bad...
I was read too everyday and I had a 1.5 GPA in 6th grade.

LOWRIVER2
05-31-2005, 05:44 PM
No kids here, but I read aloud to people every night:
You have the right to remain silent, do you understand?
Anything you say may be used against you in court. Do you understand?
You have the right to the presence of an attorney before and during any questioning. Do you understand?
If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you, free of charge, before any questioning, if you want. Do you understand?
And I even get to ask them an engaging question:
Do you want to talk about what happened?
Read to your kids, it will reduce the chances of someone like me reading them the above script later in life. Competency breeds confidence which helps develop common sense.

VEGASBABY
05-31-2005, 05:49 PM
I read to my 13 year old from the ***boat forums, but he seems to enjoy all the pics of of the girls more!! :D Does that make me a bad parent :confused: :hammer2: :idea: