PDA

View Full Version : Gas mileage on a diesel

code8
04-27-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm tossing up the idea of getting a new diesel truck. Due to the high prices of gas (unleaded and diesel), I wanted to know what the average mpg for a diesel truck and which car manufacturer do you guys recommend.
I'm leaning towards the Ford 250 crew cab since the wife and I have three little girls. I will be using the diesel truck as a daily driver and to tow a 2005 21' Ultra boat to the river (up the grade/mountains). Our plans in the future is a 23' toy hauler (weekend warrior).
Thanks.
:rollside:

Tn_River_Ratt
04-28-2006, 03:12 AM
I doubt you will see any savings with a diesel after the new ultra low sulfur fuels hit the market. Some of the engine manufacturers don't know if the engines will experience any kind of failures without adding some type of lubricant to the fuel. Thats just my $.02. Hope it helps.

sigepmock
04-28-2006, 06:20 AM
I have an 05 Chevy 2500HD Dmax, with a 6" lift and 35's. Doing the math by hand I'm getting around 15-16mpg around town with a heavy foot and 18-19 on the freeway towing our 21 Ultra or not. The truck hardly even notices the boat back there. Set the cruise at 70, 2000 RPM's and it never downshifts once on the way to the river up the 15 and out the 40. Best thing I ever did getting the diesel. It tows so effortlessly, the milage is so much better than my 6.0l Gas motor was.
If your looking at new trucks I'd give Jay Photoglou a call and take a look at the new Chevy Crew Cabs, I just read an article in Four Wheeler or Petersons offroad about the Ford 6.0L Diesel and how it has had so many problems, that Ford is switching to a new diesel. I know some people have had great luck with it but I have two friends that lemon lawed there Fords and got the new Chevy Dmax LBZ and love it...they say it's the best Diesel truck they've ever owned and Jay can get you a price you can't say no to.
Jay Photoglou (714) 552-0300. It's worth a call.
Good luck,
Just my $.02,

onetallhd
04-28-2006, 06:31 AM
I gots a 02' chevy duramax with an 8" lift and 37" tires and i see about 13-15MPG in the city and 16-18 MPG on the highway to the river. I usually do not tow the boat since it usually stays in the garage in havasu but we had some motor work done so it came down here to so cal. and I saw 14-15 MPG towing a 28 Magic Deck(65 MPH no prob even towing).

code8
04-28-2006, 06:39 AM
OK guys thanks for the reply. What was/is the gas mileage without the lift and big tires. When I get the new truck, I'm gonna keep it stock for awhile.
While driving to work this morning, I was passed on the freeway by the new Dodge Mega Cab. Any input on the Mega Cab. It caught my attention. It looks really good. :rollside:

soupersonic
04-28-2006, 07:26 AM
OK guys thanks for the reply. What was/is the gas mileage without the lift and big tires. When I get the new truck, I'm gonna keep it stock for awhile.
While driving to work this morning, I was passed on the freeway by the new Dodge Mega Cab. Any input on the Mega Cab. It caught my attention. It looks really good. :rollside:
I have a Dodge and love it.Its 2 years old now and i would buy another one in a heartbeat (pun intended) I pull 14k every weekend in the summer and get 12-13 mpg pulling that weight 16-18 on the highway empty.No problems at all.

Sleek-Jet
04-28-2006, 07:54 AM
If you're running "gas" in you diesel truck, you're doing something wrong... :D :D :D
OK, enough of that, back to the subject.

casean
04-28-2006, 07:58 AM
We have an 05 GMC 2500 w/ the Duramax. It has turbo back exhaust and the Edge/Attitude programmer. The truck has the stock wheels and tires on it. With the programmer on setting 1 (mileage) I'm getting between 20-23mpg if I keep it around 70mph. Mileage drops to around 18-20mpg @ 75 and up mph. On setting 2 (tow) towing the boat I get about the same as long as I keep the speed @ 65-70mph. Of course all these numbers are freeway driving. Hope this helps.

Cheyenne19
04-30-2006, 05:13 PM
03 lb7 duramax zf6 manual. I get 22 on the highway. With 34x12.50x17's on it.

HTRDLNCN
04-30-2006, 06:16 PM
96 F250 powerstroke, 250,000miles on it,, standard cab, long bed, 2wheel drive,auto, 3.55gears ,heavy contractor/utility bed , 18mpg overall unloaded and 14-16mpg towing.

Riomouse911
04-30-2006, 06:42 PM
If you don't NEED to lift it, don't. I put a 6" front 4" rear and added 35" Wrangler MTR's on my 99 PSD, and the mileage dropped to regular gas engine range, 16 or so. (I dropped down to 33" Wrangler ATS tires when the MTR's refused to balance and it helped a bit) Before lifting the mileage was in the 22-24 range.

H20 Toie
05-01-2006, 06:14 AM
my 05 f350 got 10 not towing and 8 towing until i did exhaust and edge programmer now i get 13 and 10

Run_em_Hard
05-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Also something to take into thought...gear ratio. Dodge offers two 4:10 and either 3:73 or 3:55 can't remember. But the fuel milage difference is quite a bit. The lower gears are better for off the line but you loose milage in the top end. And the other way around for the higher gears.

phebus
05-01-2006, 07:18 AM
From my experience with my diesel (which I love), expect about 20% less mileage then what everyone tells you. Better mileage then a gasser, but not as good as the talk would make you beleive.

dicudmore
05-01-2006, 09:21 AM
From my experience with my diesel (which I love), expect about 20% less mileage then what everyone tells you. Better mileage then a gasser, but not as good as the talk would make you beleive.
this is probably close to the truth :D
05 3500 Chevy 4WD Dually I get about 15 on the highway...read 16 or better at 70 or less, goes down exponentially any faster than that.

Jordy
05-01-2006, 09:41 AM
If you're running "gas" in you diesel truck, you're doing something wrong... :D :D :D
OK, enough of that, back to the subject.
I was going to ask if that was a trick question. My Duramax doesn't get any gas mileage at all. ;)

Run_em_Hard
05-01-2006, 09:58 AM
NO matter which diesel you go with it will get better or equal milage than a gasser, and it will tow tonz better. Nothing can even compare.

In2Deep
05-01-2006, 02:20 PM
2003 Excursion 4x4 with 6.0 Diesel.
11.7 MPG towing a 28' Nordic @ 70-75MPH from L.A. to Havasu this weekend.
13.8 MPG not towing on the way back...but moving substantially faster than 75MPH.

WannabeRacing
05-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Whatever Diesel truck you get, look into one of those power programmers. My fuel economy went up by 2.4 mpg that day. There are many brands. All talk big. They are all good. I prefer the hypertech.
I get 15.8 around town and 16.8-17.1 on the highway. And it runs 15.8 in the quarter mile with the air on and passengers.
http://www.buzzzmiller.com/dually.jpg

code8
05-01-2006, 03:37 PM
thanks again for all the replys :) What's a normal price range for a diesel crew cab truck. I've seen new one's for around $30,000 and up.

JB in so cal
05-01-2006, 03:46 PM
'06 F 250 with a V10, 4x4, Crew Cab, BFG 285's
Just got back from Havasu; 13 mpg doing 75 to 80, not towing. You can buy a LOT of gas for the extra $4000-$6000 bump in cost for an oil burner, plus you'll spend less per gallon for regular.
My decision was easy as I'll only put 12000 miles a year on it.

Mandelon
05-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Diesel was priced lower than regular again last time I filled up. I have an 04 Chevy crew cab, long bed, 4x4 and get 15 around town, and better on the highway according to the built in monitor.
I run 285 BFG's, not lifted. The power is amazing. Much quieter than the ford or dodge too, and it seems to not stink like the Ford diesel did.
I used to have an F 250 with the 460 and got 8 - 10 mpg everywhere...IMO, Chevy is mo-bettah!!!!

cc322
05-01-2006, 04:45 PM
.IMO, Chevy is mo-bettah!!!!
Well you know what they say about opinions :)wait.. you do own a Lavey so its all good

soupersonic
05-01-2006, 05:27 PM
I think alot of people dont know that their overhead comp is off,especially when you add a programmer.Try hand calculating it and then tell us what your really getting :rollside:

nodigg
05-01-2006, 05:28 PM
2005 Duramax, 2500HD, 4 x 4, 6" lift. Started with 35's and went to 33's to try to help the mileage and get the dang thing lower for towing. No change however in mileage. Driving back and forth to Havi at cruise controlled 75-77mph each week gives me 14-15 mpg when not towing. (The computer says 18) :yuk: :mad: :argue: Towing the 15,000lb. toy box I get about 7-8 depending on the destination and load. As much as 9mpg if I slow down though. (The computer says 11-12) I for one am not gaining any ground on fuel mileage.........but oh!! do I like the torque! Now if I could just keep it cool!

HTRDLNCN
05-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Obviously the model and setup will determine final fuel milage.
Things like 4x4 , bigger tires,high gears, extra cab or suv version, , lift , auto or manual,etc.
Standard cab two wheel drive with stock tires and stock hieght is gonna typically get a couple more mph or better than an Extendo cab/SUV, four by four lifted monster though I imagine those with that setup could care less about what milage they get. I know mine gets what it gets by actually doing the math . Its too old to have any "newfangled" trip computer. :D
If I were to cheat and actually drive at the speed limit (65mph) it will get 20mpg. .

Riomouse911
05-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Back a few postings the gear ratio was mentioned, and it is signifigant. I run a 4.10, and it helps mileage over the 3.73's. (3.73 made for big travel trailer/big boat towing). I used a Hypertech power programmer, and installed a true 4" exhaust from headers back which added ooomph with the programmer. Of course I cancelled out the mileage gains with the lift, but it still runs like a demon. I've run a diesel since 1986 (Started with an '85 Suburban 6.2L) and I have had nothing but good luck with them.

dicudmore
05-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Back a few postings the gear ratio was mentioned, and it is signifigant. I run a 4.10, and it helps mileage over the 3.73's. (3.73 made for big travel trailer/big boat towing). I used a Hypertech power programmer, and installed a true 4" exhaust from headers back which added ooomph with the programmer. Of course I cancelled out the mileage gains with the lift, but it still runs like a demon. I've run a diesel since 1986 (Started with an '85 Suburban 6.2L) and I have had nothing but good luck with them.
you're backwards on the gear ratio #s there...4.10 will have you running higher RPM = lower mpg :wink:

Cheyenne19
05-02-2006, 09:34 AM
soupersonic is right
my comp tells me i'm getting 30 something hwy when I'm actually getting 21

sigepmock
05-02-2006, 10:05 AM
On a side note.....
We towed the boat home this weekend from Havasu with the Wife's 06 Tahoe. 5.3L V8 3.73 gears and man what a difference from my truck... :cry:
The boat is only a 21 foot Ultra Stealth, that maybe weighs 4500lbs total and her little truck was working on those big hills.
I guess I've been spoiled with the Dmax. I usually just set the cruise at 70mpg and don't think about it again till we get home, but that didn't work with the Tahoe. It was screaming on the big hills and kept jumping around in the gears, even with the Tow/Haul mode on, I fianlly just dropped it into 3rd on any hill and held it at 60 mph. Not to mention the gas milage sucked, maybe 10 mpg :yuk: We had to stop in Victorville and fill up just to get home.
Man I love my diesel, I'm never going back I tell ya, never!!! :crossx:
Chris

sigepmock
05-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Chris,
What kind of mods are you running? I am on the fence as to adding an Edge EZ and Exhaust, a lot of the stuff that I read on thedieselplace.com has me second guessing whether or not to do it.
Thanks,
Barry
I'd highly recomend the Diablo Sport Predator hand held programmer v2.02(latest version). I'm running it on the 65hp setting which is good for towing up to 8000lbs. It also let's you adjust for tire size changes, gear changes, let's you read and clear engine codes and it goes back to stock in less than 10 min for dealer visits. To go with it you need a boost and EGT guage, they let you know what's going on and keep you from hurting the motor when towing heavy. These along with a good free flowing exhaust are the minimiums I would get.
After that you could look into a EGR blocker plate and Finger stick, these allow you to block the EGR valve without throwing SES codes and keeps the EGR from pumping all that soot back into the intake and turbo. Lots of guys without the block plate are seeing problems with the turbo and EGR. After that you can ditch the Cat. converter, this really helped reduce turbo lag and MPG but it's a little more work. I've had no problems with the mod's made on my truck and it pulls like a champ and the milage it great.
Anyway let me know if you need more info and I have a good shop that can help with each and give you the best pricing.
Chris

sigepmock
05-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Oh yeah make sure you check and tighten the hose clamps on the blue hose that comes out of the turbo in the top of the engine. These have a nasty habbit of coming off. Scared the crap out me once....easy fix. We checked two other buddies with Dmax's and there's were just about to blow off. Tighten it all the way down.
Chris

Run_em_Hard
05-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Barrymac...The edge EZ is one of the best upgrades availiable. The programmers are nice for the added features but they don't even compare for added power and milage. I would highly recommend going with the Edge Juice with the Attitude. It will give you all the power you could ever imagine plus the Attitude gives you all the visual and saftey features. The best thing about that is its adjustable. I have the edge comp on my cummins and its nice to be able to turn it up/down or even off. Especially if you ever see any snow or really slick roads. I would highly recommend exaust with any upgrades. This will keep you from getting too hot while towing. At least go with a 4". You can run 400-450 horse through a 4" with no problems. And also some form of intake or what us in the diesel world like to call a "BHAF" big honkin air filter. Just stay away from k&n filters on diesels.

Cheyenne19
05-02-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm thinking about adding the edge ez to my bully dog. The edge ez is good if you're not looking for tons of power. I'm adding it because the juice and bully dog would be a ton. An exhaust is great. More power, mileage, and insurance. Not to mention the sound. I'm running a 5".

soupersonic
05-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Barrymac...The edge EZ is one of the best upgrades availiable. The programmers are nice for the added features but they don't even compare for added power and milage. I would highly recommend going with the Edge Juice with the Attitude. It will give you all the power you could ever imagine plus the Attitude gives you all the visual and saftey features. The best thing about that is its adjustable. I have the edge comp on my cummins and its nice to be able to turn it up/down or even off. Especially if you ever see any snow or really slick roads. I would highly recommend exaust with any upgrades. This will keep you from getting too hot while towing. At least go with a 4". You can run 400-450 horse through a 4" with no problems. And also some form of intake or what us in the diesel world like to call a "BHAF" big honkin air filter. Just stay away from k&n filters on diesels.
I agree, the Edge with attitude give you the digital guages you need also.I also agree on the BHAF or the AFE . The Edge w/Attitude has nice backdown features for when you hit max EGT's or boost so you dont hurt anything. Edge does the MOST research and devlopment.Someone above mentioned another brand chip.That chip is a rebadged DR. Performance chip and they have a bad rep on the diesel forums.One more thing that i cant stress enough is the FACT that if you chip your truck you are your own warranty station.Every single one of them will be able to be seen by the dealer if you have a problem with the turbo,tranny or injectors,thats the first thing they will look for and void your warranty. :)

riverroyal
05-02-2006, 07:38 PM
in awhile,05 F250,thats because its been at ford getting new parts.21000 miles,new turbo,new innercooler :rolleyes:

Run_em_Hard
05-03-2006, 04:12 AM
I agree, the Edge with attitude give you the digital guages you need also.I also agree on the BHAF or the AFE . The Edge w/Attitude has nice backdown features for when you hit max EGT's or boost so you dont hurt anything. Edge does the MOST research and devlopment.Someone above mentioned another brand chip.That chip is a rebadged DR. Performance chip and they have a bad rep on the diesel forums.One more thing that i cant stress enough is the FACT that if you chip your truck you are your own warranty station.Every single one of them will be able to be seen by the dealer if you have a problem with the turbo,tranny or injectors,thats the first thing they will look for and void your warranty. :)
If you are worried about warranty issues than you need to make sure that you stay away from any chip that taps the injection pump wire. So the edge ez would be the best. You could simply unplug it when you need to take it to the stealer. But some of them will even give you a hard time about gauges.

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
05-03-2006, 12:08 PM
I must buy lemons or you all drive the speed limit.
2002 FORD F250 4x4 crew short bed 7.3 full Banks 120K, no lift 33 x 12.5 x 16.5 about 13.8 overall
2005 FORD F250 4x4 crew short bed 6.0 bone stock 45k no lift stock tires 14.7 overall
Have towed some of everything TAG, never a 5'er
I learned the hard way not to F with factory, The 02' hauled ass but was a throw away well short of its life expectency. When you have power you abuse it. On top of that I had a darn fortune in it.
Every lifted truck with stickers all over the back window driving 90 I see on the 40 must not be on the boards, cuz their is no way they are seeing 18MPG

sigepmock
05-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the info Chris, what kind of pricing can the shop that you deal with do on a 4" Cat back, probably SS. I like the MBRP because I can install it myself if need be.
Thanks.
I'll make a call and let you know.

UnionJack
05-03-2006, 02:40 PM
2006 dodge cummins.... brand new and 17 mpg, with a 6" and 35 toyo's

Mrs. casean
05-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the info Chris, what kind of pricing can the shop that you deal with do on a 4" Cat back, probably SS. I like the MBRP because I can install it myself if need be.
Thanks.
Barry, Sean installed our Edge... if you need any help or questions doing it yourself Sean can help you I'm sure... :)

77charger
05-03-2006, 07:07 PM
2002 FORD F250 4x4 crew short bed 7.3 full Banks 120K, no lift 33 x 12.5 x 16.5 about 13.8 overall
2005 FORD F250 4x4 crew short bed 6.0 bone stock 45k no lift stock tires 14.7 overall
Have towed some of everything TAG, never a 5'er
I learned the hard way not to F with factory, The 02' hauled ass but was a throw away well short of its life expectency. When you have power you abuse it. On top of that I had a darn fortune in it.
Every lifted truck with stickers all over the back window driving 90 I see on the 40 must not be on the boards, cuz their is no way they are seeing 18MPG
you aint the only one.My boss had a 2001 cummins 6 speed 2wd dually 8.5 camper on it i towed to powell with a 21ft boat i got 10mpg yes i had a heavy foot too.Best he got with the camper towing a 18ft flat was 13 going 65mph,
Our work trucks we had got 12-13 avg all cummins(all gone now too) always loaded 12 ft flatbeds 1 ton trucks
Long ways from the claimed 18 plus mpg i hear about but to be fair if it was gas motor when i went to powell with camper mpg would have been probably 7 and at the time gas was 20 cents more per gallon.

teamaquaholicks
05-03-2006, 09:04 PM
it will take you 7 years to catch the difference between buying a diesel than a gass. your right that is a lot of gas and most people don't keep anything more than five years. it's about an 8k difference in bakersfield at the dealers.

HTRDLNCN
05-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Cant speak for anyone else but as for me,
yes I do drive the speed limit in my truck .
Its made to work not to race or speed..
When I want to go fast I have a vehicle for that.
:cool:

slingingsmoke
05-03-2006, 10:32 PM
If you don't NEED to lift it, don't. I put a 6" front 4" rear and added 35" Wrangler MTR's on my 99 PSD, and the mileage dropped to regular gas engine range, 16 or so. (I dropped down to 33" Wrangler ATS tires when the MTR's refused to balance and it helped a bit) Before lifting the mileage was in the 22-24 range.
did you convert the difference in RPM's in your calculation. Your trip-meter is ticking more slowly and giving you a lower number. you need to calculate the exact tire revs/mile and then find out how many "real" miles you are putting on so that you can find out your correct mileage!

Beer-30
05-04-2006, 06:34 AM
thanks again for all the replys :) What's a normal price range for a diesel crew cab truck. I've seen new one's for around $30,000 and up.
Try closer to $40K, and that's doing pretty good. 4X4, leather, XM, DVD, pushing $45K.

Eliminator 4 Life
05-04-2006, 06:51 AM
I own a dodge mega cab I love the room and I got about 7k miles on it the more miles you got the better fuel economy you get alot of these guys on here arent saying how many miles they got on there truck. In the beginging I would say the fuel milage isnt that great I was getting 14 with out towing on the freeway i checked it again the other day and now im getting 18. Im gonna two my boat to havasu this weekend which is 500 miles Ill check it out and let you know what I get. I love my dodge so far knock on wood :)

HammerDown
05-07-2006, 03:48 AM
Don't rely on the overhead for mpg...calcuate by hand. :idea:

HTRDLNCN
05-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Don't rely on the overhead for mpg...calcuate by hand. :idea:
or hands and feet depending how high your mpg is..
:cool:

Blownboat
05-12-2006, 03:32 PM
I agree! We took 2 trips back east for 2 boats with a 03 f250 powerstroke! We got 7-9 mpg pulling a 28 tall deck eliminator with twins, and we got 8-10 pulling a lighter layup 31 american offshore! I think both trips equalled 5000 miles, milage with gps, checked milage every time. 37 bfg tires. The exhaust has been done. It does get better than a 98 454 vortech. It gets 6.5-7 towing to powell! :cool:

nodigg
05-14-2006, 04:05 PM
I agree! We took 2 trips back east for 2 boats with a 03 f250 powerstroke! We got 7-9 mpg pulling a 28 tall deck eliminator with twins, and we got 8-10 pulling a lighter layup 31 american offshore! I think both trips equalled 5000 miles, milage with gps, checked milage every time. 37 bfg tires. The exhaust has been done. It does get better than a 98 454 vortech. It gets 6.5-7 towing to powell! :cool:
Now that sounds like data I can agree with.

Jeanyus
05-14-2006, 05:06 PM
If you are getting 20-25 MPG out a full size Diesel truck, I would recomend you take an elementary skool arithmatic class.
I had a Frod F-250 6.9 it got 13 MPG. One of the happiest days of my life was when I sold that terd.
If you have a heavy trailer, then the diesel seems to be the best choice.
One thing to consider, if you are getting 2-3 MPG more than the gas motor. Your going to have to drive that truck for 10 years, to recover the $6000.00 that the Duramax package costs.
I just bought a new truck and checked the prices.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859z2.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859max.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859max_a.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859max_d.jpg
6 liter Vortec Max 345 Horsepower 13 MPG, when I step on the gas it doesn't look like someone uncorked a smudgepot, the motor doesn't rattle like it has a rod knock, it pulls my 18 foot boat with no problem.
Give me gas power or give me death. :rollside:

John.
05-14-2006, 06:33 PM
I get 12'ish with my diesel (it's a 2003 F-250) and it drops to 10'ish while towing. We have 37" tires and with those the speedometer is off by about 10%.

soupersonic
05-14-2006, 08:00 PM
If you are getting 20-25 MPG out a full size Diesel truck, I would recomend you take an elementary skool arithmatic class.
I had a Frod F-250 6.9 it got 13 MPG. One of the happiest days of my life was when I sold that terd.
If you have a heavy trailer, then the diesel seems to be the best choice.
One thing to consider, if you are getting 2-3 MPG more than the gas motor. Your going to have to drive that truck for 10 years, to recover the $6000.00 that the Duramax package costs.
6 liter Vortec Max 345 Horsepower 13 MPG, when I step on the gas it doesn't look like someone uncorked a smudgepot, the motor doesn't rattle like it has a rod knock, it pulls my 18 foot boat with no problem.
Give me gas power or give me death. :rollside:
I know for a fact my father in law gets above 20 mpg empty with his 97 CTD. I have an 04 Dodge that gets 17-18 empty and 12-13 pulling 14k and yes its hand calculated. The new trucks dont smoke much at all and are super quiet. Im glad you can pull an 18' boat with your gasser but most of us dont want to struggle up the hills and worry about when shes going to blow apart.

BOBALOO
05-14-2006, 09:38 PM
2002 F-350 standard cab 2wd 7.3 with utility bed and ladder rack. Mostly freeway but 75mph I consistently get 12.3 to 13 mpg not towing. I have a LOT of weight in the truck.
My coworker had a 2004 6.0 cc 4x4 and was getting 12 mpg empty, not towing. Lemon lawed it after 1 year.
My 2003 crew cab F-250 4x4 has the V-10 and got 11.5 to 12.5 going 75 with 4.30's and stock tires. It has a tonneau cover on it also. I have 35's on it now and have not used the gps to track my mileage but I am sure I have lost some.
If I had to tow a 35' toybox I might want a diesel but my personal truck only has 34k on it in 3-1/2 years and tows my 25' boat just fine, not to mention the price of diesel these days. :cry:

Jeanyus
05-15-2006, 05:29 AM
Speaking of blowing apart, my Frod F-250 in the first 6 months the oil pickup tube fell out, The genius that designed the cornbinder engine, thought it was a good idea to put the oil pump at the back of the engine, and put the oil sump at the front of the engine :rollside: I wonder why the pickup tube cracked and fell out? Could it be cause it was 3 feet long? Then after that the injector pump went out, that cost $1000, about a year later it went out again.
After replacing every component in the glow plug system for the 3rd time, I gave up on having a working glow plug system, and pluged in the block heater, or used starting fluid.
I not bashing your diesel, just telling a true story.
When I bought the Frod, 1 of the sales points was that a diesel engine lasts longer.
1991 Chevy 454 242,000 engine has not been touched, does not burn oil.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/58591991.jpg
How much longer is a diesel gonna last.
The original question was should I buy a diesel for the gas milage? If you can do math then the answer is no.
If you cant do math get the diesel.
If you pull heavy trailers get the diesel.
If you don't have a sense of humor, don't read my posts.

HammerDown
05-15-2006, 09:42 AM
The original question was should I buy a diesel for the gas milage? If you can do math then the answer is no.
If you cant do math get the diesel.
If you pull heavy trailers get the diesel.
If you don't have a sense of humor, don't read my posts.
Era, it's a Diesel (fuel) mileage not Gas.
And true, don't spend the big nut for a Diesel if you're NOT going to work that engine daily!
Pissing in the wind just using it for trips to Blockbuster etc Video.

Cheyenne19
05-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Very true that they take a while to pay for themselves. But I'm fairly decent in math, I do have a college education from the dumbest state in the union. That's Mississippi for those of you who were wondering. My truck gets 21mpg hwy with 34" tires. It is a manual though. When I pull a 22' Mastercraft I get 12.5mpg hwy. It weighs about 4000 pounds, and with the way it feels behind my truck I couldn't imagine pulling it behind my old half truck err... half ton

Jordy
05-16-2006, 05:57 AM
The new trucks dont smoke much at all and are super quiet.
It all depends on where you have the low boost fueling set on the box. ;)

soupersonic
05-16-2006, 06:57 AM
It all depends on where you have the low boost fueling set on the box. ;)
5x5 sure is fun isnt it :boxed:

Jordy
05-16-2006, 07:11 AM
5x5 sure is fun isnt it :boxed:
Oh yeah. Ricer's hate me and Discount Tire loves me. :D :D :D

BoatPI
05-17-2006, 04:50 AM
I just drove my new Ford f-250 4x4 crew to Canada. With about 1,200 pounds onboard I got between 17.4 and 19.1 per tank. If u get a big headwind expect 15 mpg. It gets 15 around town. I ran the trip at 70 to 80 mph. Flawless so far. the more HP, the more fuel u use, so durmax new engine should be using more fuel is my best guess. Most peeps I know get 17 at best on chev. I am not a fan on any make, but the Ford was 4K less item for item, and it has a 29 gallon tank vs 26. I paid 37K after rebats lariot, loaded even with dual alternators and fx-4 and heated leather seats, 18's etc.

BoaterX
05-17-2006, 09:46 PM
What the fock! You guys got some big boy tow rigs and get way better mileage than I do.....maybe I have a really heavy foot and also my Tahoe is gasoline.
04 Tahoe, 22" wheels, 3:73, K&N Filter, Magnaflow Muffler, Hypertech Programmer (Settings were made by company I purchased it from). I am getting 10MPG towing my 23 footer and 15 or so not towing.

sigepmock
05-18-2006, 05:52 AM
What the fock! You guys got some big boy tow rigs and get way better mileage than I do.....maybe I have a really heavy foot and also my Tahoe is gasoline.
04 Tahoe, 22" wheels, 3:73, K&N Filter, Magnaflow Muffler, Hypertech Programmer (Settings were made by company I purchased it from). I am getting 10MPG towing my 23 footer and 15 or so not towing.
If you re-geared to 4.10's your towing milage would probably go up a little. Do you know what you're overall tire size is with the 22's vs overall stock tire size.....if it's bigger than stock....chaces are it is....then you've changed your overall drive ratio......going to 4.10's should help get you back closer to stock overall ratio's. Also those 22's add a lot of rolling resistance....they weigh a lot more than the stockers and it takes more energy to get them going and get them stopped.
I've had my Dmax for about a year now and I love it. If I drive it nice on the freeway, 70 to 75mph I can get 19 to 20, I ecently did atrip to vegas with about 1000lbs worth of stuff in the bed, verified my milage with my GPS and hand calc'd the mpg, averaged 19.3 from SoCal to Vegas.
With my 6.0L Chevy gas motor in the last truck I never saw anything better than 14mpg, most of the time it was closer to 11 mpg empty and 7mpg towing.

BoaterX
05-18-2006, 06:50 AM
My wheels are without a doubt bigger than stockers. How much does re-gearing cost? Where can you get that done?? I usually do not like to do major or permanent mods to my vehicles (Got my stock wheels and muffler in my garage in case I ever wanted to go back), but I may make an exception with the gearing. My 22's have been soo good to me, gone over a few curbs and even rubbed against a few curbs and have had no damage whatsoever. (Damn, I wish I hadnt just said that.....I might jinx myself now).

HTRDLNCN
05-18-2006, 07:15 AM
just for comparison sake you may want to throw your stock wheels back on for a week and see if you milage changes.
If it does then doing the gears would be a worth while investment.. If stays the same then you know its not worth mesing with.

wedge44
05-18-2006, 08:17 AM
The deal is .....Everyone on here who claims all this bling bling mileage.....here's there secret....on the downhills they reset their onboard calculators.....then it shows 79 MPG.....by the time they get home it reads 22mpg.average....and they all say ""read they computer, I'm not lying"".....I know that's what I do :D :D :D
06 f-350 6.0 power stroke, 6" fabtech, 35" nittos A/T , pulling 28' wildcat 5th wheel & Ultra 23 XS.....oh ya I'm looking for a gear change too....

sigepmock
05-18-2006, 09:10 AM
just for comparison sake you may want to throw your stock wheels back on for a week and see if you milage changes.
If it does then doing the gears would be a worth while investment.. If stays the same then you know its not worth mesing with.
That's a great idea.
Re-gear for a 2x is about $500 to $600 for parts and labor. There's a great shop near the Ontario airport. I can get you the info if you're interested.
Chris

sorry dog
05-18-2006, 06:52 PM
I had a '95 3500 GMC 6.5 for while at work. Reliability wise it was about the same at the 350's but not at good as the 454 that was trouble free until 230k when we traded it.
Milage was about 12-13 in mixed driving and about 9 towing a 6000lbs bobcat and trailer... the 454 got 7-8 doing the same load...and the 350's were so close to puking their guts I never took the milage.
...but I could have it all wrong since I went to the finest institution that the second dumbest state in the union has to offer.

Panic Button
05-19-2006, 04:59 PM
'06 Ford F350 CC Dually, 4.30 Tow Boss package 2400 miles get 14mpg empty at 2000rpm, towing 35' Cig I get 11.4mpg with cruise set at 65mph. Non chipped, Airaid intake.

cc322
05-19-2006, 06:40 PM
These guys know there shiat when it comes to gears
http://www.gounitrax.com/main.html

slingingsmoke
05-20-2006, 07:31 AM
"EVIL Dwelleth in all things SPARK PLUGGED!"
--a very wise man.
(except boats)

JB in so cal
05-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Why is it that prior to the recent price hikes in fuel, diesel was ALWAYS 20 to 30 cents higher than regular?. I just put gas in the truck and now the dirty stuff is, like 10 cents less. :mad:
You don't suppose the oil companies are shifty, do ya!?? Did they invent a new process to make diesel that's now more efficient? :rolleyes:

soupersonic
05-20-2006, 11:18 AM
The EPA makes them refine even more sulfer out the diesel fuel for emmision reasons.Hence the higher cost of diesel over the last 2 years.Its not getting any better either,2007 is going to be worse.

HTRDLNCN
05-20-2006, 12:35 PM
thats also why we dont get all the 30-50mpg diesel sedans in europe,because of the sulfur crap.
Seems everytime something better comes along somehow it gets taxed or regulated to death.

probablecause
05-22-2006, 03:06 PM
I bought my 1999 F350 Diesel with a four inch exhaust and the first thing I did was take the muffler off of it. I want to put a mini-camera back by the muffler everytime I pull up and idle next to a sports car with its window down. :argue:

blown65
05-23-2006, 07:28 PM
My 05 2500hd with 6" lift and 36's gets about 13-14 city and 18 highway. Towing 7500lbs its about 13. Thats with my Edge/Att on 3/5 most all the time cept hills I back it down so I dont cook the tranny or get high EGTs.
Both the Edge/Att and the Banks/PDA kits are good. I like the added features of the Banks with the PDA though. More $$ unfortunetly.

jamessampica
05-27-2006, 01:11 PM
What's the normal running temp's on a 05 Duramax?Engine temp that is.The factory gauge say's 200 to 210 and the Edge say's 192.So what does your's read?LATER!!!!
JIM S
P.S.Just city driving.

gochappy
05-28-2006, 05:38 PM
okay I personaly would forget momentarily about pulling the boat....think about the everday use of this truck....I have driven diesel pick ups for 20 years. The gas or diesel engine is going to pull your boat.......you make your money on the everyday trips this thing will make, not seven trips to the lake or river each summer......the diesel is not going to like little trips to the store etc. its made to run hard......figure how many trips to the lake versus everyday use ....the fuel cost is about the same....from premium to diesel now...so is it worth the couple cents....next is maintenance....I'm sure most of these guys driving diesels will agree, every trip to the repair shop is a $1000 dollar day.......there is no savings between maintenace on a diesel and tune-ups on a gas.....longevity.....I got 270,000 out of my first diesel before it spun a rod bearing and have 200k on the one I'm on now....I think most gas motors are good for 150-200k now. well thers my 2 cents

ROZ
05-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Would a gaser with grear vendors do better than a diesel ?

gochappy
05-30-2006, 07:24 AM
Would a gaser with grear vendors do better than a diesel ?
the gear vendor will help a two wheel drive ........seems like art had real good luck with his in his old dually.....

UnionJack
05-30-2006, 01:55 PM
18.4 on my way to havasu and 17.9 on the way home. Ram Megacab, on 35's
70 on the speedo

Ziggy
05-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Average about 15mpg on my 7.3

gochappy
05-30-2006, 06:52 PM
highlandbiodiesel.com

KineticoH20
06-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Just bought an 06 F250, first 100 miles getting 14.5 mpg :rolleyes:

Brewzed
06-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Just bought an 06 F250, first 100 miles getting 14.5 mpg :rolleyes:
It will get better. They're really not even broken in until about 10K

nodigg
06-03-2006, 09:15 AM
53,000 miles on an '05 Duramax and still no fuel mileage improvement......

OutCole'd
06-03-2006, 09:52 AM
53,000 miles on an '05 Duramax and still no fuel mileage improvement......
Same, here. 30k and same as the day I bought it. About 15mpg on average, with no towing.

KineticoH20
06-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Same, here. 30k and same as the day I bought it. About 15mpg on average, with no towing.
I wanted one I got one and i;ll live with the milage, but these guys touting 20mpg.......come on get real.

H2oracer
06-05-2006, 02:55 PM
I wanted one I got one and i;ll live with the milage, but these guys touting 20mpg.......come on get real.
It's real. I have a 2003 dodge diesel 2 wheel drive 373 rear end. I get 16.5 to 19 towing a 5,000 lb enclosed trailer and 20 to 25 local and highway. No computer tricks here. Truck has 85,000 mi and the only changes are an airaid filter.

Back Forty
06-15-2006, 07:50 PM
98 24V Cummngs 4x4 dually. all stock. Been perfect in two years. I drive it every day and usually leave it running most of the work day with the ac on. Thing averages around 360 to 420 miles per 26-27gals each fill up. When I am on a regular driving schedule, this thing is always hand calculating at 17.5 to 19mpg. and goes 500-510miles a tank. Highway at 90mph with the cruise set in warm weather it will get right around 17mpg. Cold weather affects my mileage in a bad way. My first trip in this truck was from ft. myes florida up to ohio in april. I drove well into georga on I 75 before a fill up. Once I got into the cold air the mileage was down 1-2 mpg doing 80-90mph. Always been that way on this thing.
Speeds 80-90mph with the 19' boat gives a steady 15.5mpg.
Towing a little cat 257B bobcat around town I drop back to around 15 again. I stand on it when I don't need to but it really does awesome. The gas setups are very annoying to me as they are constantly up and down the gears and winding up. Even my LOUD clanky Dodge is music to my ears and runs dam good. LOVE the diesel. I am starting to think about the new models. This is a Ford and Dodge town here but I have likes for them all. The Mega Cab is really something to behold although I would like to see a long bed mega cab in the dually layout which may or may never happen. Talk about an office in the truck...

Sun burners
06-21-2006, 11:36 AM
2002 GMC dually 18mpg doing about 60-65.
About 13-15 at 70
10 towing
What rpm's are best?
How long do you let the motor idle after a 262 mile trip to the river?
Thanks Mike

nodigg
06-25-2006, 03:26 PM
2002 GMC dually 18mpg doing about 60-65.
About 13-15 at 70
10 towing
What rpm's are best?
How long do you let the motor idle after a 262 mile trip to the river?
Thanks Mike
Those figures sound about the same as mine for a light tow, (5-6000 lbs)
Why do you want to let the engine idle?

Sun burners
06-25-2006, 06:51 PM
I was told to let the turbo cool down?

H2oracer
06-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Thats right. After running you engine under a load the turbo needs time to cool down. Usualy about 5 min will do. Not cooling it down will cook the oil out of the bearings and eventualy cause failure of the turbo.

nodigg
06-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Yeah, we used to have to do that on big rigs but on a Tonka truck? I would think only if you are pulling a grade with 15k and want to stop right away. That makes sense weather you have a turbo diesel or a gas engine....

KineticoH20
06-28-2006, 09:04 PM
I didn't think it was possible, but im getting 20mpg doing 65-70 on the freeway with my new snugtop.

INSman
06-28-2006, 10:04 PM
I didn't think it was possible, but im getting 20mpg doing 65-70 on the freeway with my new snugtop.
I am getting 20mpg doing 85+ and NO snugtop !!! :cool:
I should also state that I have a non CA truck, no CAT, and I have an AFE Intake, 4' turbo-back exhaust and an Edge Juice. :)

Brian
07-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Filled up today... 19.2 mpg on overhead monitor, 15.7 mpg calculated (the real number). That tank included pulling the boat home from Powell cruising @65 mph (several good hills along the way) and then back & forth to work four times. 04 Dodge 555 4x4 with 325/60/18 tires, 6-spd manual tranny, 3.73 gears, Edge EZ #4, AFE intake, 4" turbo-back exhaust.

nodigg
07-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Filled up today... 19.2 mpg on overhead monitor, 15.7 mpg calculated (the real number). That tank included pulling the boat home from Powell cruising @65 mph (several good hills along the way) and then back & forth to work four times. 04 Dodge 555 4x4 with 325/60/18 tires, 6-spd manual tranny, 3.73 gears, Edge EZ #4, AFE intake, 4" turbo-back exhaust.
Brian, don't you know you cannot calculate miles per gallon better than the on board computer? :rolleyes: :rollside:
Damn engineers!
I sure would like to be in the cab of these trucks getting 18-20 mpg so they could teach me how to drive properly!

Brian
07-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Brian, don't you know you cannot calculate miles per gallon better than the on board computer? :rolleyes: :rollside:
Damn engineers!
I sure would like to be in the cab of these trucks getting 18-20 mpg so they could teach me how to drive properly!
Better for you to teach me how to make enough $$$ so that I don't care about the mileage any more!
:D

nodigg
07-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Better for you to teach me how to make enough $$$ so that I don't care about the mileage any more!
That one is easy! Spend 12-18 hrs a day working yourself to death in hopes of being able to retire next year!
oh!, wait, its not working for me yet!

Brian
07-11-2006, 06:57 PM
That one is easy! Spend 12-18 hrs a day working yourself to death in hopes of being able to retire next year!
oh!, wait, its not working for me yet!
That might work if I actually got PAID for OT!!! :cry:
ps: You still looking for a huge power pro-charged beast for your new toy? :D

nodigg
07-11-2006, 07:23 PM
That might work if I actually got PAID for OT!!! :cry:
ps: You still looking for a huge power pro-charged beast for your new toy? :D
HIJACK! Oh well, yeah, was gonna big blower my current built for a blower 540 but now I am leaning toward the 525 merc and staying down around 80-85 mph :cry: .
What's OT?

Brian
07-11-2006, 07:30 PM
OT is that stuff you're SUPPOSED to pay to your employees ya baller!
ps: A Cheetah doing 80-85, good one! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/lachen/laughing-smiley-014.gif

nodigg
07-11-2006, 07:32 PM
OT is that stuff you're SUPPOSED to pay to your employees ya baller!
Actually, I am one of the few who DOES pay OT, just not to myself! :cry:

HeavyHitter
07-11-2006, 08:28 PM
ps: A Cheetah doing 80-85, good one!
Now wait a second Brian. You had a cheetah that went around that speed. I think mine can reach that speed with a light fuel load and no one else in it. There is nothing wrong with an 85 mph cheetah.

Brian
07-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Now wait a second Brian. You had a cheetah that went around that speed. I think mine can reach that speed with a light fuel load and no one else in it. There is nothing wrong with an 85 mph cheetah.
Yeah but your Cheetah has thru-transom exhaust and really efficient mufflers. That's good for 3-4 mph easy.
:jawdrop:

nodigg
07-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Wait, did I type 80-85? I meant 08-58mph! DAMN this dyslexia! (sp)?

nodigg
07-11-2006, 08:56 PM
I gotta take a stab at this one. Is heavy hitter Greg?

Brian
07-11-2006, 08:59 PM
I gotta take a stab at this one. Is heavy hitter Greg?
Nope. Greg's Cheetah is slow. Kinda like mine was.