PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Guys I Need Your Help

245 LIMITED
04-27-2006, 10:52 PM
I HAVE A 88 CHRIS CRAFT 245 LIMITED, THE ENGINE IS A 454 CHEVY .30 OVER. I BOUGHT IT WITH LOOKS TO BE A OLDER GALE BANKS TWIN TURBO SET UP WITH RAYJAY TURBOS AND SINGLE CARB ON MANIFOLD..
PROBLEM: WHEN I LET IT WORM UP I TOOK IT TO WIDE OPEN THROTTLE. ONLY GETTING 4LB BOOST AND CANT GET ENGINE TO TURN MORE THAN 3900 RPM. WHAT GIVES? I NOTICED IT HAS NOT RETARD BOX . AND CARB HAS A BLK TUBE THE IS LOCATED AT THE MIXTURE NEEDLE. IS THIS THING SO RETARDED TO COMPENSATE. IF SO WHAT SHOULD I SET TIMING AT AND WHAT BOX IS RECOMENDED. I KNOW THE TWIN TURBOS ARE A MILD SET UP BUT AT W.O.T ITS NOT THERE, EVEN THOUGH AT ONLY 50 MPH . ANY HELP WILL DO THIS IS MY FIRST TURBO MOTOR SO I HAVE NO CLUE :cry:

BOOGEYMAN
04-28-2006, 12:37 AM
PIC'S?? What is the timing at now? Part numbers on the turbos? what size carb? Pic's will help!!!
Travis

502 JET
04-28-2006, 05:57 AM
Are you achieving wide open throttle?Your cable or linkage may need to be adjusted.

245 LIMITED
04-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Ill Get You All The Info You Need Today . I Just Got The Boat . And Numbers On The Turbos. Hey Thanks For The Quick Responses So Far

superdave013
04-28-2006, 11:07 AM
you want to talk to Obnoxious001 here on the forums. He worked at Banks back in the day and is the all around guru on those systems. And a nice guy to boot!

obnoxious001
04-28-2006, 11:34 AM
No boots please.
The black tube off the carb is for boost referencing, it should go to a vacuum souce on the intake manifold. Back then, the recomended timing was 28 degrees, locked out, no advance. The bypass holes in the exhaust housing will have lots to do with how much boost is made with a given engine, you would need to pull the exhaust from the turbo to have a look. I suspect a large bypass hole to allow the engine to run pump gasoline. Since you bought it used, probably should run a leak down test and inspect and/or replace the spark plugs.
"Stock" turbos for that kit would have been Rajay 301E with the 1.0 housing. Standard carb would have been 850 Holley (4781) if memory serves me correctly.

245 LIMITED
04-28-2006, 10:33 PM
hey your a life saver. ill go out to the boat (on side of house) and get a pic for you of engine bay. the engine has about 4 hours on it and built by tony ottos of suisun ca. they build alot of nascar and is a custom holley carb tuning place. at a idle sounds good but when you attempt to push throttle seems to stumble a little as may be to rich. as far as pump gas i dont mind mixing to get better fuel. it is a holley 850 on top. let me see tommarrow timing and al and let you know what i am starting out with thank guys

245 LIMITED
04-28-2006, 10:36 PM
and 1 other thing is there anyway to upgrade system ? increase boost? heck at wot you dont even hear the turbos or feel the kick of them almost like toten around xtra weight

obnoxious001
04-29-2006, 12:32 AM
Does the 245 signify a 24.5' boat? What kind of drive and prop? Maybe the thing is way over-propped and it can't make over 3900 rpm? 4 lbs of boost on a 454 probably makes about 500 hp or so.
One other thing comes to mind, if you can pull the exhausts off the turbo housings, see if the turbos spin freely. A stuck turbo would definately kill power.

245 LIMITED
04-29-2006, 12:51 PM
yes its a chris craft 24.5 ft boat limited they made a small number to try and get into the offshore market but didnt succeed. i weighed the boat and has a gvw with fuel of 7100 lbs was told by chris craft boat should weigh 5800 heavy boat i have a bravo 1 with a 4 blade stainless prop. i have a receipt was pitched to a 13 3/4 x 22 ill be getting pics and timing to you tommarrow ill pull plug and get gap and check turbos for spinning free.

Beer-30
04-30-2006, 04:31 AM
The stumble off-idle says lean condition. How are the fuel filter(s) and is your pressure stable as you throttle up. Maybe getting lean?

245 LIMITED
04-30-2006, 09:47 PM
its a very light stumble and smooth acceleration. OBNOXIOUS1 gave me some awsome advice as well as all of you . im diagnosing these issues now. ( MAN I SHOULD HAVE NEVER SOLD THE HYDRO ) im pulling plug and checking turbos for freeness <- is that a word ... ill get back to you guys within the next day or so.