PDA

View Full Version : Boxers

MAINEVENT
12-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Who has had one i never have, and might end up with one its only 2 months old Who's familiar with their temperment and with kids etc....??
Thanks for the input

Mrs. casean
12-29-2005, 08:57 AM
I don't know from experience, but I think they are so cute! I have heard they are good family dogs. There is one in our neighborhood and that family has a little girl and the dog has been around her all along I believe. So that's a good sign! :D

76ANTHONY
12-29-2005, 08:59 AM
Who has had one i never have, and might end up with one its only 2 months old Who's familiar with their temperment and with kids etc....??
Thanks for the input
ONE OF MY BUDDYS HAS A PUREBREED AND ITS GREAT, THEY ARE KINDA HYPER THOUGH...as far as a good dog, he loves people and other dogs and he's three years old..

Jbb
12-29-2005, 09:00 AM
briefs..... :)

totenhosen
12-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Good family dog. Usually are hyper. Better known as a 50lb lap dog. Love being around people and are not aggressive by nature.

Windy
12-29-2005, 09:05 AM
THEY ARE KINDA HYPER THOUGH
I was just at my brothers house last nite playing with his boxer...that damn dog is a spazz..and slobered all over me. They are great dogs...very hyper though.

riverbound
12-29-2005, 09:07 AM
My mom has 3 of them. they are great family dogs. dumb as a box of rocks though. but very loveable and loving.

NOTALENT
12-29-2005, 09:07 AM
I had 2 of them...and them my best friends have 2 in havasu...they are awesome dogs...Very Loyal and kind with people and very smart. ours use to open and shut doors :rollside: ...However they need alot of attention in the younger years...its almost like they have A.D.D once they hit about 5 they settle down. It is harder to train them in the earlier years then most dogs. I plan on getting another pair here shortly.

NOTALENT
12-29-2005, 09:08 AM
Great dogs....I had one and he was very dedicated and was intimidating looking. They are also good around kids. The Roxysnow's have two of them I believe.
Good choice in a dog.
Not a good water dog...at least mine wasn't
That is true... :rollside: my buddies will get in the wading part of the pool but they dont see the step and fall off....they straight sink to the bottom.. :D

Cole Trickle
12-29-2005, 09:11 AM
My Mom has owned 2 in the past 4 years.
If you don't have a yard forget it you are looking at the wrong dog.(Hyper is an understatement) :220v:
Both of her Boxers have been females.The first one was the fawn color and was bar none one of the greatest dogs I have ever been around.Very very sweet and would go out of her way to please anyone.(Sadly someone stole this dog from her back yard in Hollywood :cry: )
Her current dog is the brindle color and has a very different temprement.The dog is a little iffy around strangers and other dogs.(Much more agressive)She has never bitten anyone but she has scared the crap out of a few people.I think her problem is she is kind of a scaredy cat and freaks out when in unfamiliar surroundings.
Overal both dogs are awesome and the boxser has become one of my favorite dogs.I think with a yard and a alot of time spent training/disiplining they would make an awesome family pet.
They are very good at destroying things and act like teenagers when your away from the house.(There curiosity gets them in trouble)
B

76ANTHONY
12-29-2005, 09:12 AM
I was just at my brothers house last nite playing with his boxer...that damn dog is a spazz..and slobered all over me. They are great dogs...very hyper though.
AHHH, YES. hey alex they sloberin buckets, kinda funny though.... :D

Windy
12-29-2005, 09:13 AM
ours use to open and shut doors :rollside:
My brother was telling me that he would come home and his dogs would be out running around...they couldnt figure out how they were getting out of the backyard. Then he realized the dog was watching him when he opened the gate..He said his dog would sit there and stare at him whenever he was at the gate...his boxer figured out how to open the gate. He says his dog is an escape artist.lol..silly dogs.

jayd_jr
12-29-2005, 09:14 AM
Boxer / Pitbull best dog ever. The boxer temperment is very playful. They stay young for a long time. Barkley is 10 now and still prances and plays as if he is young still. As far as around kids I would say boxers are great dogs. they love to play and cuddle and they can handle the abuse kids put them through. there are 5 total in my click of friends. all have kids and love the dogs.
ONE WARNING .........It is known that this breed has BAD GAS!!!!!!!! yes the boxer can remove you from a room with fail swoop...

Cole Trickle
12-29-2005, 09:16 AM
My brother was telling me that he would come home and his dogs would be out running around...they couldnt figure out how they were getting out of the backyard. Then he realized the dog was watching him when he opened the gate..He said his dog would sit there and stare at him whenever he was at the gate...his boxer figured out how to open the gate. He says his dog is an escape artist.lol..silly dogs.
Our Boxer can open gate latches in her sleep.We had to change the handle from a thump button handle to a top mount string latch to keep them in the dog run. :p
Hoodinis......

PlyaPlya22
12-29-2005, 09:17 AM
My mom has 3 of them. they are great family dogs. dumb as a box of rocks though. but very loveable and loving.
So they'll fit right in... :)

Cole Trickle
12-29-2005, 09:18 AM
ONE WARNING .........It is known that this breed has BAD GAS!!!!!!!! yes the boxer can remove you from a room with fail swoop...
This is very true!! :cry:
My Boston has the same problem and really enjoys letting one go when we are in the car with the windows up.
Where you been Jay? (Hope Xmas was good to you and yours)

Sleek-Jet
12-29-2005, 09:18 AM
.... dumb as a box of rocks though. but very loveable and loving.
Just the qualities you should look for in a Woman too... :D

Jbb
12-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Just the qualities you should look for in a Woman too... :D
lmao!..... :p

NOTALENT
12-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Boxer / Pitbull best dog ever. The boxer temperment is very playful. They stay young for a long time. Barkley is 10 now and still prances and plays as if he is young still. As far as around kids I would say boxers are great dogs. they love to play and cuddle and they can handle the abuse kids put them through. there are 5 total in my click of friends. all have kids and love the dogs.
haha...that is true...gas mask are recommended :rollside:

NOTALENT
12-29-2005, 09:22 AM
haha...yup. I will be sleeping doors shut and they would come running in 1st thing in the morning jumping around...so I would lock the door and then they couldnt get in...the would start crying outside the door... :D damn needy dogs...lol

Windy
12-29-2005, 09:23 AM
They are attention whores to. :)

HOOTER SLED-
12-29-2005, 09:27 AM
F dogs!!!!!!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx:

NOTALENT
12-29-2005, 09:29 AM
F dogs!!!!!!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx:
ooohhhhh MRS. HOOTER!!!! :crossx:

barbigrl
12-29-2005, 09:31 AM
Do you really think you need to be getting a dog right now? :rolleyes: We obviously need a meeting!! :p

Cole Trickle
12-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Do you really think you need to be getting a dog right now? :rolleyes: We obviously need a meeting!! :p
rut roh......... :argue:

Big Kahunaa
12-29-2005, 09:35 AM
this is all true our new pup is about 8 months great around my niece (sp) she is 3 and our friends kid is a year and a half plus i grew up around one great dogs plus every one thinks it a pit and dosent fuc& with the house

meaniam
12-29-2005, 09:36 AM
They are attention whores to. :)
thats all we need a dog being a post ***** on this site :cry:

meaniam
12-29-2005, 09:39 AM
my god this site has censorship it blocked out wh@re didnt relize that was so bad. i wonder what else it blocks out ****, ***, ****,*****,******,george bush.(that one went thru) :mad:

OutCole'd
12-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Best dogs I've ever owned. They basically trained themselves for the most part. The first one was hyper and an escape artise. The second one has always been mellow. And neither have any slobbering issues at all.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1075Picture_903.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1075Picture_905.jpg

Caribbean Jet
12-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Size: Shoulder height: 53 - 63 cm (21 - 25 inches).
Coat: White should not cover more than a third of the dog. Coat is short and smooth.
Character: This dog is happy, friendly, and intelligent. It bonds closely with the family.
Temperament: Boxers get along especially well with children. They also get along well with other dogs and household pets. They are naturally inclined to protect your family from strangers.
Care: Coat can be kept in good condition by brushing occasionally.
Training: The Boxer must be trained not to jump up at people. Because it learns quickly, the Boxer is ideal for various sporting activities.
Activity: This dog needs plenty of exercise.

riverjunkie
12-29-2005, 10:31 AM
We have a boxer, she is 4 and is the sweetest, most lovable dog, she does get a little excited when we first let her in the house after being out, but quickly settles down and loves to be where we are. I would get another one in a minute. My sister in law has 2, one is a year and the other 6 months they are both great with kids, she has 4, they also get real excited when they come in, and around new company, they are still very young they will grow out of it. Boxer are great family dogs.

riverjunkie
12-29-2005, 10:34 AM
I didnt notice this before but his dog is my dogs twin, mine is a female. They look identicle.

Howie Feltersnatch
12-29-2005, 10:50 AM
I and my family has had boxers since before I was born. I grew up with several as pets.
Pros: Very intelligent, very loyal, great with kids, fun to play with.
Cons: Snore, will stink you out, will attempt to sleep in your lap regardless of size.
HAHA!

Jetboatguru
12-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Why couldnt I be a boxer? :idea:

Biglue
12-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Talk to C & C over on ISL. He has one.

76ANTHONY
12-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Talk to C & C over on ISL. He has one.
what is this ISL that you speak of?? :D

HOOTER SLED-
12-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Yea, slober coming from your boxers sucks. :D

Biglue
12-29-2005, 11:26 AM
what is this ISL that you speak of?? :D
It's a secret society. :D

Biglue
12-29-2005, 11:26 AM
LMFAO.

76ANTHONY
12-29-2005, 11:33 AM
It's a secret society. :D
VERY SECRET :D how you doing on this fine thursday biglue?

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
12-29-2005, 11:36 AM
You would know!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hammerhea :hammerhea :D

riverbound
12-29-2005, 12:14 PM
So they'll fit right in... :)
Hey now :mad:

MAINEVENT
12-29-2005, 01:10 PM
I will soon have a yard for it but i must talk it over with my future landlord first but my concern would be time as i might have two jobs soon they look like great dogs and i would love a dog again i had so much fun with my last one (no pun intended fockers) but another concern would be it liking the h2o??? my kids like bigger dogs they have a chihuahua and could care less for the dog but always played and still ask for my previous dog all the time thanks everyone for your input i will see what happens
And BG shut it and get a job loser LOL :crossx:

cxr133
12-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Labradors...
are kid friendly
smart
loveable
AND LOVE WATER

MAINEVENT
12-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Labradors...
are kid friendly
smart
loveable
AND LOVE WATER
i ALREADY HAD 2 OF THEM I WANT SOMETHING DIFFERENT THIS TIME ALTHOUGH I LOVED MY LABS

MsDrmr
12-29-2005, 01:39 PM
My parents have two of them, one they got as a puppy and the other they adopted from an animal rescue.
I think they are pretty cool, they are little dogs in big bodies, in other words, they want to sit on your lap and lay on your chest, they love to lick everything. They are head strong and need strong discipline.
They are prone to cancerous growths on their skin so you have to be watchful of them.
Other than that, I wish you luck

nitro557
12-29-2005, 02:24 PM
this is a pics of my buddys boxer shes the best dog ive ever seen,great with people she doesnt do well at first with other dogs but after she shows that shes the alpha its fine
(img]http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/834potomac14.jpg[/img)

SmokinLowriderSS
12-29-2005, 02:45 PM
I grew up with a Fawn Boxer Female who finaqlly dissapeared when she was 13 (parent's live in a rural housing development). She was great, and she liked water OK. She rode in the boat sometimes, always met us at shore if she didn't, swam if you took her out deep, but would only wade on her own (no, we never bought her a life jacket). Funniest thing is she would follow me anywhere at the lake except onto the fishing dock because she could see thru the expanded metal walkway floor. One day I picked her up, stood her a couple body lengths out on it, and sat her down. She looked, nosed arround, and was good to go after that.
The ONLY dog she ever fought with was a neighbor's Doberman, which came to my house looking for the fights, several times. I should have killed that dog. :mad: Someone else saved me the trouble eventually when he found it in a goose-pen at a farm. :skull:

purrfecttremor
12-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Best dogs I've ever owned. They basically trained themselves for the most part. The first one was hyper and an escape artise. The second one has always been mellow. And neither have any slobbering issues at all.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1075Picture_903.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1075Picture_905.jpg
Im also on My 2nd Boxer and yes both were the two best two dogs weve ever had.Only hyper the 1st year .Never slobered,great around kids and lovable around everyone and both were very smart and yes I may be a little bias here because I love them soooo much!! Unfortunatly My current Boxer is going to have to be be put down shortly because of a birth defect.Her spine is twice the size that it should be ind is pinching the nerves in Her hind quarters.She is on pain meds but wont be long.The worst thing about it is that Lexi is only six!! Yes when ready ill buy another boxer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAINEVENT
12-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanx everyone but its a no go my buddy has 2 dogs and one of them is not fond of other dogs sort of speak and i dont want a dead puppy hahaha
thanks for all the great info though

Big Kahunaa
12-29-2005, 11:49 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3167mallory_face-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3167mallory_in_the_laundry-med.jpg
This is our 8 month old boxer. A pic of her when we first got her and a pic of her now. We have grown up around boxers and they are wonderful pets. We do agree with everyone in the forum when they talk about how hyper they are. Every day is a guessing game on our way home as to what will be in our backyard this time. (It now looks like a landfill). Awesome dog though, great personality and very good with new people. Like any other animal, it is not on the breed of the dog, it is in the way they are raised and trained.
(Mrs. Kahunaa typing this post, because Mr. Big Kahunaa is scared he will sound too feminine) :)

purrfecttremor
12-30-2005, 07:56 AM
Nice looking Dog.My 1st boxer was a albino and the vet said She would only live a few years because of the possibility of if skin cancer.She lived to be 12!!!!

NautiII
12-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the input
we have had a Boxer for 10 years now. She, I can say is the best dog we have ever had. OUr cousins breed them in Lousiana. Great temperment, great with kids, VERY protective, and ours loves the water. GREAT INVESTMENT!!! GO for it!

PlyaPlya22
12-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Hurry up and get the dog!!

socaldj1
12-30-2005, 04:35 PM
I've had a boxer for years. They are a great dog with kids. Sometimes too over protective. Mine will try to get between the kids and adualts that come over. The kids climb on the dog, pull her ears, wake her while she's sleeping and all she does slap them with a paw. Just be aware Boxers are on some of the lists that the insurence companies will not accept.