PDA

View Full Version : i have a motor again!

dave186
05-26-2005, 09:29 PM
i just got done dropping the motor back in my boat! it looks so awesome to have something in there. I borrowed the boom truck from work, thats the way to put a motor in, forget cherry pickers. i will post some pics tommorow, its been a looooooong day.

JetBoatRich
05-27-2005, 03:57 AM
Sounds easy with the lift :jawdrop: my last motor we used the shop crane, to easy to line up :eek:
Lets see the PIC's

Wicked Performance Boats
05-27-2005, 04:00 AM
i just got done dropping the motor back in my boat! it looks so awesome to have something in there. I borrowed the boom truck from work, thats the way to put a motor in, forget cherry pickers. i will post some pics tommorow, its been a looooooong day.
Congraulations dave, now hook everything up and hit the water this weekend! Budlight :hammer2:

dave186
05-27-2005, 08:46 PM
pics are coming, just gotta resize and upload. i just got it fired off about an hour ago. i still havent hooked any of the water lines up yet, so i havent broken in the cam or anything, just started it a couple times for about 2 seconds, the valves need adjusted too, in the video you can hear it pop once. but that could also be because the dizzy is a tooth off and is cranked all the way one way and still retarded.

steelcomp
05-27-2005, 08:54 PM
pics are coming, just gotta resize and upload. i just got it fired off about an hour ago. i still havent hooked any of the water lines up yet, so i havent broken in the cam or anything, just started it a couple times for about 2 seconds, the valves need adjusted too, in the video you can hear it pop once. but that could also be because the dizzy is a tooth off and is cranked all the way one way and still retarded.
Dave...don't get me wrong, but unless you're running a roller, you need to quit starting that thing for a second or two, or you're going to wipe out your cam!! Just some friendly advice. :coffeycup

dave186
05-27-2005, 09:06 PM
yes, i know this. that thought was running through my my mind every time i hit that starter switch. but i couldnt help my self and had to hear it. i wiped a cam lobe on my truck before, but i did it all by the book that time, took about 150 miles before something wasnt right.
and now, the pics
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/dave186/IMG_0174.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/dave186/IMG_0176.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/dave186/4c2c55bc.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/dave186/IMG_0178.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/dave186/IMG_0179.jpg

dave186
05-28-2005, 05:12 PM
i got the cam broke in, seems to have went well. the idle is a lot rougher than i thought it would be, but thats a good thing.
headers get HOT without water, i was thinking about taking it for a quick spin without the water lines but i will have to wait, i dont want to melt the paint off.

dave186
05-28-2005, 05:19 PM
can someone point me in the right direction for setting up this carb? i dont remember what jets are in it but it was set up for a stock 460, now i have higher compression bigger cam etc. do i just need to read plugs and swap jets around or is there more too it? its a 750 vac secondary carb. i want a bigger one but it will have to wait.

LakesOnly
05-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Dave,
Jet up/start fat and then work your way down, for ballparking it. Better to foul a set of plugs or two than it is to burn through your pistons.
Here is what can happen to those TRW's if you're too lean: Intake valve pocket is a bit close to the ring land...
http://a2.cpimg.com/image/C8/BC/36630472-f2eb-01930157-.jpg
Too lean and it's the potential hot spot, and is the first area to melt...
http://a0.cpimg.com/image/58/55/33230680-c5cf-023901A5-.jpg
A few years ago, my motor was jetted/timed so close to the border that 92 octane worked fine, but 89 octane melted a piston.
Start jetted FAT :) You invested a lot of time and money to get that motor together and sumer is here...don't risk the whole effort over a set of plugs...
By the way, did you go with the Spiorlox?
LO
p.s.: I corresponded with the Product Manager at Speed-Pro and managed to get him discussing this with the engineers; they decided to make an adjustment to the thin spot...move the top ring down a few thou, I think...we'll see it in the new pistons (Speed-Pro is revising the L2443 dome top).

Blown 472
05-28-2005, 06:09 PM
You had better keep a close eye on the valve lash.

LakesOnly
05-28-2005, 06:13 PM
You had better keep a close eye on the valve lash.
'Sup, Brotha Blown.
LO

Blown 472
05-28-2005, 06:15 PM
'Sup, Brotha Blown.
LO
Not much, and you?? not out on tha water??

steelcomp
05-28-2005, 06:22 PM
can someone point me in the right direction for setting up this carb? i dont remember what jets are in it but it was set up for a stock 460, now i have higher compression bigger cam etc. do i just need to read plugs and swap jets around or is there more too it? its a 750 vac secondary carb. i want a bigger one but it will have to wait.
If it's a 3310, then stick with stock settings to start. They're fat from the factory, and it oughta be close enough to get going. If you insist on making changes, don't make changes 1 size at a time...you'll waste your time...go at least 2 sizes for any noticable change. If you go more than 6 from stock either way, you've got a problem somewhere else. Post up the carb list no. and I can get you where you need to be AFA jets and power valve. :coffeycup

dave186
05-28-2005, 09:09 PM
i will take a look at the carb tommorow. i know it was rich with the old set up, it blew black smoke at WOT. i havent put any load on this motor yet, so i dunno whats goin on now but i was thinking since it was rich before i should be at a good starting point now. but lakes has a point, better to be rich, dont want to melt anything down.
blown, why should i keep an eye on the valve lash? its a hydraulic cam, i didnt think i was supposed to have any? either way, i have checked and adjusted about 4 times now, im getting pretty good at it. the cam i have only has .530 lift. but man, this motor sounds mean as hell.
PS, lakes i did go with the spirolox, that was a hellavu lot of money for an envelope of round clip things.

Blown 472
05-29-2005, 07:23 AM
i will take a look at the carb tommorow. i know it was rich with the old set up, it blew black smoke at WOT. i havent put any load on this motor yet, so i dunno whats goin on now but i was thinking since it was rich before i should be at a good starting point now. but lakes has a point, better to be rich, dont want to melt anything down.
blown, why should i keep an eye on the valve lash? its a hydraulic cam, i didnt think i was supposed to have any? either way, i have checked and adjusted about 4 times now, im getting pretty good at it. the cam i have only has .530 lift. but man, this motor sounds mean as hell.
PS, lakes i did go with the spirolox, that was a hellavu lot of money for an envelope of round clip things.
Due to a non proper break in and the lifters now a days, if you have one making noise and you keep adjusting it then the cam is going flat. Keep your ears open.

BigBlockBaja
05-30-2005, 05:13 PM
Dave, What cam did you put in there?