PDA

View Full Version : my new heads!!!!

oldbuck40
05-27-2005, 12:59 PM
were shipped on thursday :D and will be delivered tuesday morning!
damn that was a long month waiting,,hopefully i will have it all together for somerville :D :D :D :D :D :D

sdba069
05-30-2005, 08:47 PM
What did you end up with????????????

oldbuck40
05-31-2005, 05:28 AM
What did you end up with????????????AFR 305cc with a 121 chamber milled to a 104 with all the big valves and all the goodies

Greaser
05-31-2005, 08:40 AM
Great, cant wait to see it run :cool:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-31-2005, 09:58 AM
why don't you take some of that big $$$$ you are spending and put a real pump on the back of your boat :220v: just ribbing ya oldbuck :) I got one of them hottub pumps too.
Omega

oldbuck40
05-31-2005, 10:06 AM
why don't you take some of that big $$$$ you are spending and put a real pump on the back of your boat :220v: just ribbing ya oldbuck :) I got one of them hottub pumps too.
Omegaone of these days maybe i might but until then if it aint broke dont fix it! im kinda like you on that pump thing,if it squirts and goes down the lake im happy :rollside: how is shannon doing??? any problems with morning sickness? i hope she is doing well!

Greaser
05-31-2005, 05:45 PM
:rollside: how is shannon doing??? any problems with morning sickness? i hope she is doing well!
:2purples: What, Do I hear the pitter patter of little feet in you future???
Congratulations to you and Shannon.

Ken F
05-31-2005, 07:51 PM
Greaser, I think youre gonna love em!!
Ken F

acatitude
06-01-2005, 08:23 PM
chit and I got all stoked when you said you got some new head :lightsabe

Taylorman
06-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Did you get head(s) yet?

oldbuck40
06-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Did you get head(s) yet?sure did! i lapped all the valves this morning and got all the studs screwed in and was fixing to check all my clearances when wah lah the pushrods are all the sudden too short??? a little somthing the salesman didnt bother to tell me,so yea their on the brown truck headed this way,,will be here tuesday....

texas-19
06-02-2005, 01:04 PM
old buck,i bought some pro 1 heads and had the same thing happen.One other thing that happened was the valves are canted and bigger so my valve reliefs on the piston intakes were a little off from where the valve opened up.Had to have the pistons fly-cut because they were hitting the side of the piston reliefs.Up and down was ok but side of the valve was hitting the side of the piston relief.You may be going to do this but make sure and use clay to check it.Did not have to go deeper on the piston relief just widen it.Just a heads up because i was still able to roll the engine over by hand but i could feel it scraping when i did.

sdba069
06-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Normally the 24 degree valve angle on the Pro 1's and most other BBC aluminum heads isn't enough to create a clearance problem,piston to valve, that is., but it is always a good idea to check clearances. Stock intake valve angle is 26 degrees. FYI, nearly all aftermarket aluminum and steel heads, for that matter, will require longer than stock pushrods. Most of the BBC Pro 1's come with 2.250 intake valves which is only .06 larger than the the usual 2.19 valve size which is only .03 larger per side. There were probably other factors involved with the clearance problem with the Pro 1's, such as cam profile and/or large dome pistons.

texas-19
06-03-2005, 04:08 AM
sdba,ya i am pretty sure it was the pistons i bought.They are forged speed-pro,i know i should of spent the extra bucks and bought srp's then their probobly wouldn't of been a problem.The intake valves are 2.30.I have .200 clearance up and down but not enough side clearance where the relief is.Also i bought a clay smith cam and George recommended a cam that "i thought" had alot of duration but i went with what he wanted.It is a constant learning experience.This is the first set of aluminum heads i have owned and i thought it was gonna be bolt on and go.WRONG.My original plan was to change heads and leave the hydraulic roller cam and flat tops in their.Good plan gone south.When i decided to change to a solid roller to get more out of the heads then i needed to up the compression to get the most out of the cam.SPEND THAT MONEY,ain't no good for nothin unless your spending it anyway,but i am glad my wife likes the boat.
I know my situation was kind of unique with the pistons i have,probobly not many runnin them, but when oldbuck mentioned the pushrods i thought hey the same thing happened to me so i though i would just give him a heads up on the valve reliefs.He may be just fine and hopefully he will.
Good luck oldbuck and hope to be able to get to somerville when ya'll are their.Been working too many hours.

oldbuck40
06-03-2005, 05:25 AM
well we are making progress on the head install! got all the studs in, set the heads on with no gasket to check clearance's. of course i didnt have any pushrods that would work but my mechanic that works for me came in this morning with some adjustable pushrods so we can now proceed checking everything out..kinda nice having a retired drag racer work for ya!
Garry, thanks for taking time out of your busy as hell work week to talk to me about some of the issue's i have had.. i will be looking forward to meeting you this summer at the river!
well i gotta get started,time's a ticken down for somerville!!! i'll update later this afternoon on the head deal....

Taylorman
06-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Here you go Greg. Sweet heads. What kind of intake is that?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/161oldbuckheads.bmp
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/161oldbuckheads2.bmp
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/161oldbuckheads3.bmp
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/161oldbuckheads4.bmp

oldbuck40
06-06-2005, 11:36 AM
thanks kevin! intake is an edelbrock victor jr. as of right now im still waiting on the pushrods to show up!

Greaser
06-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Lookin good Greg :supp: