PDA

View Full Version : Running the Jet on the Garden hose?

Mighty Thor
05-29-2005, 10:48 PM
Is it possible? If so, what are the procedures? I could figure out how to run the Engine on the hose but can't figure out how the water would get to the Jet. On my setup you can't pull the driveline so that is not an option. So far I have been taking down to the river, but it is starting to get crowded at the dock and now we got the city collecting a launch fee every time so I get frowns when I just sit there and tune the motor. :mad:

HammerDown
05-30-2005, 02:42 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1064custom_made-thumb.jpg There's alot of feedback yes/no about this topic...with that I'll just say I've always started/tuned the engine on the hose (just for a few moments). I run pretty tight impeller clearance in a pump with good bowl bushings and NEVER had any issues doing so.
(going to get popcorn for this one) :D

V-MAX4 POWER
05-30-2005, 03:55 AM
I was told that someone makes a boot to go over the loader intake. I was told by a pump & engine builder not to run on the trailer with just a hose hooked up to a line. I don't know about yours but my motor does not have a water pump to circulate the water. Iam definitely fing a boot or making one so water goes through everything. Randy

Squirtin Thunder
05-30-2005, 05:46 AM
This is just my thoughts !!! Not an aproved way of doing it.
A garden sprinkler on the ground under the intake and custom t set up for engine and pump, with 75% of that water going to the pump. The 25% water should be enough to trickle out of the exit. To do this you would need a Y a T and some ball valves to control the water.
I have not tried this so I have no idea if it will work !!!

sidewound
05-30-2005, 05:53 AM
The impeller is a dynamically balanced rotating assembly. It needs the load of the water to balance itself. Don't think you could get that kind of volume through a garden hose. Maybe a fire hose. I take mine to the ramp on a slow weekday to tune. Many here say they have no problem running on the hose but I won't. I have the plastic wear ring and I fear a "meltdown". :eek:
Just my .02
Peace Man! :cool:
CESAR

berk
05-30-2005, 07:13 AM
i just unbolt the h-bar and use chevy wire to keep the driveline out of the flex plates way while i tune. run a garden hose into the fitting on the transom where the water would normally come out the pump to feed the motor. takes a few minutes but less than building a pump.

xs ultra
05-30-2005, 09:56 AM
The way I do it is one hose feeds the motor with a tee fitting ,then a 2nd hose is used and placed in to the jet intake, running the water hard enough to run out the jet nozzel. Been doing this for a long time.This works for me.

FASTRAT
05-30-2005, 10:27 AM
The way I do it is one hose feeds the motor with a tee fitting ,then a 2nd hose is used and placed in to the jet intake, running the water hard enough to run out the jet nozzel. Been doing this for a long time.This works for me.
on the backside (inside the boat) of the pump is a cover (i think its an inspection cover)...could u run a hose into that & 1 to the mtr?
fastrat

Marlin455
05-30-2005, 10:32 AM
On my boat, the water inlet from the pump goes to a t-fitting with two ball valves- the top one feeds water from a garden hose into the system, the second one controls the amount of water fed from the pump to the engine. I hook up a hose open the front one all the way, and crack the other one open till I have water coming out the nozzle, so the inside of the jet is being fed at the same time- Just my two cents, but it works for me!

Wicked Performance Boats
05-30-2005, 12:05 PM
What the hell is chevy wire??????????? Budlight

texas-19
05-30-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm curious why you can't unhook your pump?I don't know it all but most pumps i've seen you can uncouple from the motor and slid it back far enough to test run engine.You may want to concidor changing it so you can unhook it.And ya "chevy wire",ain't heard that one either.

Squirtin Thunder
05-30-2005, 02:37 PM
I think the Chevy wire is what powers the BowTie !!!!

Mighty Thor
05-30-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm curious why you can't unhook your pump?I don't know it all but most pumps i've seen you can uncouple from the motor and slid it back far enough to test run engine.You may want to concidor changing it so you can unhook it.And ya "chevy wire",ain't heard that one either.
I have a Glastron CVX 20 with a Berekely JF pump. The rear engine mount is the bellhousing clamped on the nose of the pump. You can't get at the drive shaft bolts to take them out with the bellhousing in place and you can't pull the bellhousing without moving the engine. Also, because of the way that the stringers and floor are constructed you can't make a rear motor mount that would hang off the stringers without substancial modifacation to the floor and rear supporting structures. I am not prepared to make all those changes right now. Not quite as easy to work on as all those over the transom outfits, but this big jet fits my family needs better than my Hondo project.
:mix:

Squirtin Thunder
05-30-2005, 03:53 PM
but this big jet fits my family needs better than my Hondo project.
:mix:
Right now !!!! :D

MudPumper
05-30-2005, 04:14 PM
:shift: The ONLY way to PROPERLY run the pump is with it in the water. A garden hose CAN NOT supply enough water to the right places to ensure you won't be causing damage. Period. A garden hose will not supply enough water between the wear ring and impeller. A garden hose will not supply water to the packing gland and it will burn up. On some pumps, like the older Dominators they have a rear bearing that is water lubricated. Once again, a garden hose will not supply enough water to it. Running it dry causes damage a little at a time. Blowing the water out on the ramp after pulling the boat out causes damage. If you absolutely must start the engine and run the pump dry, you should not run it for more than 10-15 seconds and do not rev the engine. Maybe this isn't a big deal for some and you've been doing it for years, you probably also have a pretty stock pump. Some of us have thousands invested in pump work and would never consider running dry for any reason. But then we are also the ones that cover our intakes when trailering. How many of you do that?? :supp: :shift:

Cas
05-30-2005, 04:15 PM
putting water through the intake won't cool off the seals enough. They'll get hot and burn within a pretty short time.

Squirtin Thunder
05-30-2005, 04:29 PM
:shift: The ONLY way to PROPERLY run the pump is with it in the water. A garden hose CAN NOT supply enough water to the right places to ensure you won't be causing damage. Period. A garden hose will not supply enough water between the wear ring and impeller. A garden hose will not supply water to the packing gland and it will burn up. On some pumps, like the older Dominators they have a rear bearing that is water lubricated. Once again, a garden hose will not supply enough water to it. Running it dry causes damage a little at a time. Blowing the water out on the ramp after pulling the boat out causes damage. If you absolutely must start the engine and run the pump dry, you should not run it for more than 10-15 seconds and do not rev the engine. Maybe this isn't a big deal for some and you've been doing it for years, you probably also have a pretty stock pump. Some of us have thousands invested in pump work and would never consider running dry for any reason. But then we are also the ones that cover our intakes when trailering. How many of you do that?? :supp: :shift:
I almost forgot the towels that are stuffed up in the intake this weekend with all the crazyness.

berk
05-30-2005, 07:06 PM
What the hell is chevy wire??????????? Budlight
chevy wire is just like volkswagon wire but slightly heavier guage :D

sleekvino
05-30-2005, 07:24 PM
i just take a tee after the gate valve and turn the the water on all the way so the pump and the motor both get water.you just dont do a lot of revving of the motor ,just get it idling good and take her to the lake,thats where it counts anyhow.make your adjustments were you use it. :lightsabe

xs ultra
05-30-2005, 07:47 PM
on the backside (inside the boat) of the pump is a cover (i think its an inspection cover)...could u run a hose into that & 1 to the mtr?
fastrat
Put a hose in the intake under the boat.

Sleek26
05-30-2005, 08:48 PM
So, it boils down to this. Do it ...and you MIGHT screw up your pump. Don't do it and you definately WILL NOT screw up your pump. Now your a big boy you make the decision. :idea:

Mighty Thor
05-31-2005, 09:30 PM
no point in doing this twice in one week