PDA

View Full Version : Carpet vs fiberglass floor?

Teabagger
05-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Noticing some boats mpw come with non slip fiberglass cockpit floors instead or carpet. I think it's obvious non slip fiberglass would be easier to keep clean, how does carpet hold up over the years and it hard to keep clean?
Does anyone with carpet wish they had gone with a model that had fiberglass floors instead, or maybe even snap in removable carpet?

mike37
05-30-2005, 10:21 AM
I have kids we have fiberglass floor with snap in carpet
the carpet is nicer on the feet

H20Advantage
05-30-2005, 10:21 AM
I have a fiberglass floor, which I like for easy cleanup. I do think I will add some snap in carpet though because the dogs scratch the floor and the carpet can be taken out and sprayed off.

LHC30Victory
05-30-2005, 10:23 AM
That "Non-Slip" fiberglass floor is very slippery when wet :idea:
Carpet is nice but hard to clean unless it snaps in and out but we don't like the look of snaps. I guess ya can't have everything :sleeping:

H20Advantage
05-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Some of the carpet is heavy enough to lay down without snaps from what I have seen. Especially the stuff with the rubber backing.

Havasu Hangin'
05-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Some of the carpet is heavy enough to lay down without snaps from what I have seen. Especially the stuff with the rubber backing.
Some newer boats (with a lining) come with that "drop-in" carpet (no snaps needed). Custom Canvas can make em for around $350.

Chase
05-30-2005, 11:32 AM
I have a Fiberglass Floor...c/w snap in carpet...can't think of anything better...to cover the floor of the boat.. :D

RiverOtter
05-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Noticing some boats mpw come with non slip fiberglass cockpit floors instead or carpet. I think it's obvious non slip fiberglass would be easier to keep clean, how does carpet hold up over the years and it hard to keep clean?
Does anyone with carpet wish they had gone with a model that had fiberglass floors instead, or maybe even snap in removable carpet?
After having a molded cockpit I'll never go back to carpet again. Carpet is hard to clean and smells bad after it gets wet.

Jbb
05-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Carpet, no carpet, ...mohawk.....er...never mind...wrong thread.... :D

Throttle
05-30-2005, 11:56 AM
yep, get the inner liner and get the snap in carpet.

LHC30Victory
05-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Carpet, no carpet, ...mohawk.....er...never mind...wrong thread.... :D
I'll drink to that...er, you beat me to it apparently :D

Debbolas
05-30-2005, 12:40 PM
I"ve often wondered why people put carpet in boats, as it gets wet, kids drop cheese on it and it's really difficult to vacuumn the dog hairs out of it.
Scream says it looks nicer. We are carefull with what we allow in our boat to eat (no chocolate) I'm careful to pick up things off the carpet as soon as I see them so they don't get ground in. (I also have a little vacuum in my boat to vacuum when I need to) :D
No carpet makes sense to me, but we have been lucky with our current carpet, no problems yet. I keep a carpet spray in the boat to handle the "smell" of wetness.....I wonder if there are different "grades" or just "standard" marine carpet?

Essex502
05-30-2005, 03:35 PM
We had our choice - we selected snap in carpet over the inner liner.

spectras only
05-30-2005, 03:44 PM
I have the wood floor replaced with Kelron [ similar to starboard ] in my 1972 boat ,and have a snap in carpet .Easy to remove to hose down the floor when needed. Have a full innerliner [nonskid type ,that is slippery when wet :rolleyes: ] in my 1990 boat that I'm going to put a snap in carpet . Feels good on bare feet ,non slippery and looks good when colour coordinated.

Tom Brown
05-30-2005, 03:50 PM
We are carefull with what we allow in our boat to eat (no chocolate)
No chocolate? The chicks won't be liking that. :D

Dusty Times
05-30-2005, 03:50 PM
A boat with glued carpet in most boats is just carpet glued to resin coated plywood (not that all are). Wood gets wet enough times it gets mooshy. The carpet holds the water and what doesn't evaporate sinks into the wood.
This is my first boat with a liner and love it. It makes for a stiffer hull and is easier to clean. Just pull the carpet out.

hoolign
05-30-2005, 03:53 PM
After having a molded cockpit I'll never go back to carpet again. Carpet is hard to clean and smells bad after it gets wet.
are you describing a boat ...or pussy :D :p

Dusty Times
05-30-2005, 03:55 PM
In both cases "The shorter the carpet the easier it is to keep it clean" LOL

phebus
05-30-2005, 03:56 PM
We have snap in carpet over an inner liner. Without the carpet (light grey in color) the floor stays cooler, but even though it has a non skid surface, it can get slippery. It also shows every single little bit of dirt that hits the floor.
With the carpet snapped in, the carpet gets a litle hotter then just the inner liner, but doesn't get slippery at all. Also evey crumb or whatever hits the floor doesn't show. If the carpet gets soaked, and the boat gets put away wih it wet, it can get stinky.
Our option was to use the carpet, because it is more comfortable, and makes the boat look better and cleaner, and if the carpet is damp when we are done for the day, we unsnap it, and hang it from the side of the boat to dry and not get stinky. It also is very nice to lay the carpet on the ground, and give it a good vacum, and take a wet rag and wipe down the inner liner.
I wouldn't buy a boat without the snap in carpet over an inner liner if it was an option, you can tailor it to your needs. The perfect option.