PDA

View Full Version : Wedges...

SHIFTY
04-28-2006, 08:52 AM
GONNA INSTALL SOME WEDGES TOMORROW. I HAVE THE STUD KIT, GONNA PICK UP SOME ANTI-SEIZE, AND WHATEVER ELSE I MIGHT NEED. I HAVE A TURNBUCKLE TYPE SET-UP, AND I'm NOT SURE IF IT WILL ADJUST FAR ENOUGH OUT TO PUT THE WEDGES IN (SEE BELOW). ANYBODY HAVE ANY TIPS FOR ME, I've NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1873PUI.jpg

Jetdriver
04-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Heres a tip! DONT **** IT UP!!!!!!! :D

SHIFTY
04-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Get Your Ass To My House And F*** It Up Yourself...

SHIFTY
04-28-2006, 09:28 AM
COME ON, YOU JACKASSES :mad:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-28-2006, 07:41 PM
How much wedge are you installing? Are you installing it up or down? Can you rotate that piece that bolts to the actual plate?
Dont use lock nut because they have a tendacy to pull the stud out. Use regular stainless nuts. If you have the studs that have the hex cut out of the middle then you can use a locknut. It will be more work to remove the nuts in the future if you do.
Answer those questions and we can go from there;)

RCB19
04-28-2006, 10:45 PM
A good starting point is 4* up to keel on the plate. Lay a straight edge on the bottom of the plate and measure the distance between the bottom edge of the droop and the straight edge. Keep this measurement between 3/4 to 1/2 inch. You don't want your hardware dragging in the water. When you change your shoe depth, plate angle and your nozzle angle with wedges these measurements will change. Keep that in mind. That steering setup looks a little scarry. :2purples:

SHIFTY
04-29-2006, 05:10 AM
A good starting point is 4* up to keel on the plate. Lay a straight edge on the bottom of the plate and measure the distance between the bottom edge of the droop and the straight edge. Keep this measurement between 3/4 to 1/2 inch. You don't want your hardware dragging in the water. When you change your shoe depth, plate angle and your nozzle angle with wedges these measurements will change. Keep that in mind. That steering setup looks a little scarry. :2purples:
HOW DO YA FIGURE?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-29-2006, 05:43 AM
That steering setup looks a little scarry. :2purples:
Why is that? That is the proper geometry with a droop. Mine is like that and I have no drifting issues whatsoever. Please explain why it looks scary........

SHIFTY
04-29-2006, 06:00 AM
How much wedge are you installing? Are you installing it up or down? Can you rotate that piece that bolts to the actual plate?
Dont use lock nut because they have a tendacy to pull the stud out. Use regular stainless nuts. If you have the studs that have the hex cut out of the middle then you can use a locknut. It will be more work to remove the nuts in the future if you do.
Answer those questions and we can go from there;)
I THROWIN IN SIX DEGREES UP. (2) TWOs, AND (2) ONEs. YES, UPON CLOSER INSPECTION, I CAN. IT HAS AN ALAN HEAD ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PLATE THAT I WILL LOOSEN TO ROTATE THE THE TURNBUCKLES 90 DEGREES. ALSO, KEEPING IN MIND MY MEASUREMENT FROM DROOP TO RIDEPLATE, AND MAKE SURE THAT REMAINS THE SAME WHEN I AM FINISHED.
I HAVE S/S STUDS, AND ANTI-SEIZE. NO LOCKTITE. I HAVE NYLOCK NUTS, S/S WASHERS, AND LOCK WASHERS. I WAS GOING TO DOUBLE UP THE NYLOCK NUTS. Jetdriver DID HIS THIS WAY AND HAS HAD NO PROBLEMS, SO THAT IS MY PLAN AS WELL.
FIRE AWAY MIKEY :crossx:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-29-2006, 06:37 AM
I THROWIN IN SIX DEGREES UP. (2) TWOs, AND (2) ONEs. YES, UPON CLOSER INSPECTION, I CAN. IT HAS AN ALAN HEAD ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PLATE THAT I WILL LOOSEN TO ROTATE THE THE TURNBUCKLES 90 DEGREES. ALSO, KEEPING IN MIND MY MEASUREMENT FROM DROOP TO RIDEPLATE, AND MAKE SURE THAT REMAINS THE SAME WHEN I AM FINISHED.
I HAVE S/S STUDS, AND ANTI-SEIZE. NO LOCKTITE. I HAVE NYLOCK NUTS, S/S WASHERS, AND LOCK WASHERS. I WAS GOING TO DOUBLE UP THE NYLOCK NUTS. Jetdriver DID HIS THIS WAY AND HAS HAD NO PROBLEMS, SO THAT IS MY PLAN AS WELL.
FIRE AWAY MIKEY :crossx:
6* of wedge :2purples: :2purples: What are you trying to do? Knock airplanes out of the sky:D I had a 7* in my pump last year and I couldnt keep my boat in the water. My rooster was huge though;) Get some pics of that tail for us. you should be fine with the studs. make sure that you use ALOT of antisieze. Them babies like to strip. Have fun today;)

RCB19
04-29-2006, 07:23 AM
HOW DO YA FIGURE?
Never been a big fan of the long spacer. It creates steering slop. But if it works for you stay with it.

SHIFTY
04-29-2006, 07:23 PM
I COULD ONLY THROW ON A TWO DEGREE WEDGE, DUE TO THE TURNBUCKLE SET UP ON THE RIDE PLATE, IN ADDITION TO THE SEVERE CHANGE IN STEERING ARM ANGLE (I DIDN't EVEN THINK OF THAT BEING EFFECTED). I TOOK SOME SLACK OUT OF THE CABLE, IT WILL HOPEFULLY GIMME SOME ROOST TO PLAY AROUND WITH UNTIL I GO WITH THE CRADLE SET-UP, AND FIX THE STEERING ARM ANGLE IN THE NEAR FUTURE. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE, ESPECIALLY 396...

Cheap Thrills
04-29-2006, 07:48 PM
6* of wedge :2purples: :2purples: What are you trying to do? Knock airplanes out of the sky:D I had a 7* in my pump last year and I couldnt keep my boat in the water. My rooster was huge though;) Get some pics of that tail for us. you should be fine with the studs. make sure that you use ALOT of antisieze. Them babies like to strip. Have fun today;)
I'm getting ready to throw 8* on mine ! not looking to get any airplanes maybe a squirrle or two and of course the occational lame ass lake lice that tries the sneaky pass maneuver :D
C.T. :wink:

SHIFTY
04-29-2006, 07:51 PM
IT's NOT DIFFICULT, BUT IT IS KIND OF A PAIN IN THE ASS IF YOU HAVEN't DONE IT BEFORE. I HAD TELE-SUPPORT FROM HalletDave, PM SUPPORT FROM 396, AND Jetdriver AND HIS SMOKIN' WIFE STOPPED BY FOR A BIT TO LEND A HELPING HAND. YOU'd THINK WITH FOUR PEOPLE IN ON THE DEAL, IT WOULD HAVE GOTTEN DONE IN LESS THAN 4 HOURS...

Brooski
04-29-2006, 08:21 PM
IT's NOT DIFFICULT, BUT IT IS KIND OF A PAIN IN THE ASS IF YOU HAVEN't DONE IT BEFORE. I HAD TELE-SUPPORT FROM HalletDave, PM SUPPORT FROM 396, AND Jetdriver AND HIS SMOKIN' WIFE STOPPED BY FOR A BIT TO LEND A HELPING HAND. YOU'd THINK WITH FOUR PEOPLE IN ON THE DEAL, IT WOULD HAVE GOTTEN DONE IN LESS THAN 4 HOURS...
Looks like you just learned lesson #46 in the boat repair guide, any repair you are conducting will take 1 hour longer per person that "helps". If you still have an extra 2 or 4 degree, bring it to FC. Test run tomorrow on mine. Its done!!

RCB19
04-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Shifty turn your steering tube around. That will help you with the steering geometry and will allow the cable to be moved furthur back in the boat. Looks like you are steering with the final portion of the cable.
Why do you want to wedge up??? If you are looking for better performance this will be a negative. Get that nozzle as close to the water as you can without it dragging. By the looks of your setup you have room to go down. Or are you just looking for roost?

Danhercules
04-30-2006, 02:24 AM
That steering setup looks a little scarry. :2purples:
I was with Lakesonly and drove his boat a year or so back, and the steering spacer broke. I am glad it did it with 1/2 throttle turning around, and not a full throttle pass!!!

Squirtcha?
04-30-2006, 07:55 AM
Shifty turn your steering tube around. That will
help you with the steering geometry and will allow the cable to be
moved furthur back in the boat. Looks like you are steering with
the final portion of the cable.
This I definitely agree with. With the tube reversed it'll give more
support to the cable end.
Why do you want to wedge up??? If you are looking for
better performance this will be a negative.
This I can't go along with. I've done lots of setup work on my boat
and it responded positively to up wedge and raised plate. Now, it's
possible that it was masking or attempting to cover for other
problems (hooked bottom etc.), but it was still the best setup of all
(and I tried both up and down in 1 degree increments).
The worst setup was in the middle position (no wedge on a PD droop,
and the the plate set at 2 degrees up). (Oddly enough, looking at the
pic above, that looks to be Shifty's setup right now).
I could raise or lower the setup from that point and pick up speed
either way.
However the bottom line is that the fastest setup of all ended up
being 4 degrees of up wedge and 4 degrees of up on the plate
(by a couple mph). It's just too general a statement to say that all
boats will respond negatively to a raised wedge and plate.
Hey Herc....................when are you gonna change out that avatar
and put up a picture of that pretty new deck/tunnelboat?

RCB19
04-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Very true Squitrcha. Every boat is different. Alot of times these angles can depend on how your intake was set in the boat and as you said the condition of the bottom.

Danhercules
04-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Hey Herc....................when are you gonna change out that avatar
and put up a picture of that pretty new deck/tunnelboat?
When I get a nice pic. :rollside:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Always a pleasure to help a fellow boater;)
I was just thinking about what they were saying about your steering tube. I would definately turn it around. I broke one that was installed like that. It was freaky when it broke at WOT!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

SHIFTY
05-01-2006, 11:19 AM
What Causes Them To Break?