PDA

View Full Version : Lake Travis Anyone?

In2Deep
05-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Any HB'ers here live at Lake Travis outside of Austin?
What's it like out there?

N2Lake
05-30-2005, 06:25 PM
It is a great lake Dave. We are going to be down there the weekend of 6/10-12, picking up Lianna at camp and looking over some colleges in the area. We may even get a chance to try out some different boats I have been looking at in the area. Are you going, or moving, whats up?

Mark Sims
05-30-2005, 06:26 PM
For your size boat you will love it. Small jets will be in trouble in some parts due to big boats wakes on a rough day. Its a big chain of lakes and deep. Diving is also very good.Lots of big boats on Travis.

wrenchdaddy
05-30-2005, 06:30 PM
I live in college station abotu an hour or so away from austin. I've been to travis a few times, prolly the cleanest lake in texas, bad part is there are very few if any beaches, mostly all limestone rock. On the weekends it gets pretty rough, a lot of boats out there specially big ones. Its still cool to go to a lake where you can see 10-15 feet down though.

In2Deep
05-31-2005, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the report.
Sounds like a nice place.
LSR....just tossing some ideas around.
I'd need to find a job out there.
For what I do, might be a challenge.

sweet-v
06-01-2005, 03:08 AM
Hmm I drive by Mansfield Dam every day to work and back. Yes it does get very rough! The lake is for flood control mostly, and flood stage is I think 691. won't put my sanger in there, nothing low.
Lake Austin is more mellow but very cold up towards the dam.
Jim

Red Horse
06-01-2005, 04:11 AM
Would love to go!! Great Lake. Cant remember the name of the cove, but it is half way up the opposite side of Pace Bend park Locals call it Pale Face park.. Cow Creek, but I am not sure.
You can beach at Pace Bend but watch the rocks. Plus you will have to pay a fee as well. The rangers walk around and look for your permit and if you dont have one you either get one or have to leave.
For you small boat owners, the Perdanales river is good and up past it as well on Travis is pretty good.
Sweet V, got land in Driftwood off FM 150!! Own part of York Creek!!

R.A.D.man
06-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Lake Travis has something for everyone from partying in Devils Cove to finding private coves up the Colorado River. I take my 18-ft jet all the time on the Pedernales R. and up the Colorado R. I can always find something to enjoy. The lower end is rough as hell for low free board boats but if you want to go to the party, you can get there.
If any of you are familiar with The Oasis Restraunt on the cliffs overlooking the main basin of the lake, the one with the spectacular views, a good portion of it burned but they have reopened and are rebuilding.

Sweet Addiction
06-01-2005, 06:22 PM
I am just going to give it about 10 thumbs up if I had them. Great Place. Something to do for everyone. I go out there pretty much every weekend.
Jared.

Nate56
06-08-2005, 05:30 AM
Lake Travis is awesome.. Your right though there's a cove for everyone... Whether you want to party or just relax...Good place to go fast too...

In2Deep
06-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Great input everyone. Thanks.
Last question: are there dams along the way between lake Austin and Travis, or can you just keep going and going? Is the water depth reasonable for a 28 Nordic to cruise along way up or down the river?

Turbojack
06-12-2005, 06:38 PM
There are dams between all the lakes I think travis is some 90 miles long. Lake Austin which is below Travis is 21 or 22 miles long. Lake Austin is a cold lake, water temp in the middle of summer can be in mid to low 70's. Lake austin is mainly made up of ski boats. On a week end you will get tired of dodging skiers. Travis is way wider. As stated above travis just about everthing based on what part you go to.
Here is web site for LCRA that runs the chain of lake
LCRA web site (http://www.lcra.org/index.html)

sneauxcone
06-12-2005, 10:04 PM
InTooDeep, I"m moving from Valencia to Austin July 20. Drop me a line I can tell how things are going. Look forward to getting out of LA.
sneauxcone@yahoo.com

In2Deep
06-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Sneauxcone....check you e-mail.
Thanks.
I2D

HTRDLNCN
03-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Pretty much what everyone already said...
Been going out there past 7 years, bought some property on
the lake 3 years ago and this year finally decided i had enough
of SoFla and Im headed that way before the end of the year..
Now if we could just keep the Houston crew out...
:D
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/Laketravisaerial.jpg
http://www.texasfreeway.com/austin/historic/abandoned/images/lake_travis_view_from_620_17-nov-2001_lres.jpg
http://www.texs.com/lake_travis/travis_map.jpg

STV Mike
03-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Lake Travis is one of the best lakes in Texas. It seems like every time I go to lake Austin, the cops will stop the hot boats. The last 2 times I was there I got pulled over.

Sweet Addiction
03-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Lake Travis is one of the best lakes in Texas. It seems like every time I go to lake Austin, the cops will stop the hot boats. The last 2 times I was there I got pulled over.
Yep, they don't dig that shit.

STV Mike
03-08-2006, 10:04 AM
the last time i was on lake austin i made a few 110+ mph passes by the 360 bridge and some one called the cops on me. we will be on the perdenales side of travis this weekend if anyone wants to meet up. we will have a few stv's and mirage's from the houston area.

R.A.D.man
03-08-2006, 11:27 AM
STV, I was just there Sunday. The public ramp on the Pedernales is out of the water. Still plenty of water there, but not past the HWY 71 bridge. I had to use one of the Pace Bend Park Ramps to launch. Both of them are open. I took a ride up to Spicewood and back. I did not go to the Narrows, looked to be getting a little shallow past Spicewood.
If I were in town, I would join in, but maybe some other time.

Sweet Addiction
03-08-2006, 08:03 PM
the last time i was on lake austin i made a few 110+ mph passes by the 360 bridge and some one called the cops on me. we will be on the perdenales side of travis this weekend if anyone wants to meet up. we will have a few stv's and mirage's from the houston area.
How far are you guys going to be launching up river? I will be out on Saturday, I am launching from the damn, and then heading up river, I normally don't go much farther than Cow's creek unless I have a good reason.

STV Mike
03-14-2006, 06:41 AM
we put in this weekend at pace bend park and ran up the colorado river. it was great! lots of good hauling ass water

Sweet Addiction
03-14-2006, 05:45 PM
we put in this weekend at pace bend park and ran up the colorado river. it was great! lots of good hauling ass water
Hey Mike, I saw you guys out there on Saturday. I was rafting with the boats right in the middle of the split between the perdenalas and the Colorado, yall came haulin ass by, it was really cool watching. I recognize most of the boats.

Red Horse
03-14-2006, 06:58 PM
STV Mike, where were those 2 pictures taken? Looks like it is upriver past the split.

Sweet Addiction
03-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Here is the picture we got as you all came by.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1859DSC01004.JPG

Sweet Addiction
03-14-2006, 07:11 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1859DSC01003.JPG

Sweet Addiction
03-14-2006, 07:12 PM
My Camera man sucks.

STV Mike
03-14-2006, 08:32 PM
the pics of the beach are up the colorado past the split. if you saw us late in the afternoon we were hauling ass. early in the day we were trying to go slow so we would have enough gas to last all day long. once the day was winding down it was wide open for miles at a time! we had 7 boats running hard and having a good time. i love vacation!