PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here own a Commander Signature 29'?

Teabagger
05-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Seems like a nice boat. Anyone have first hand experience with this model?
http://www.commanderboats.com/showroom/29signature.html

famaffair
05-30-2005, 08:41 PM
I own a 26 signature and I love it. No problems with customer service or the boat. I heard mixed reviews about Commander, however I love mine. The 29 is an awesome boat they have got a few at the yard in Perris that just came out
of the mold. Look in the image center under 26 sig and you will see a few pictures I posted of two 29 sigs that they just sold. Call steve at
(951) 304-3050 he will probably work you the best deal. Here is mine
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2285thefam.jpg :smile: :smile: :smile:

H20 Toie
05-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Be VERY careful with them.

famaffair
05-31-2005, 06:08 AM
isn't that with any boat dealer? :idea:

OGShocker
05-31-2005, 06:36 AM
I hope ThatJeffGuy passes this thread by.... :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
His dealio with CUMMANDER.. (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46423)

H20 Toie
05-31-2005, 08:16 AM
famaffair isn't that with any boat dealer?
My family could have been killed becuase of the way they built my boat they knew of the problems but never let us know,(It was to much trouble to call all the owners and it might not happen to everyone) i could go on and on but just remember they have a bad name in the industry for a reason, yes there boats look great and there prices are lower than a lot of boats but when stuff falls apart just never go back to them and when it's time to sell it remember there are a lot of people that will not even consider one.

riverrunner
05-31-2005, 08:23 AM
isn't that with any boat dealer? :idea:
No, there are plenty of reputable boat dealers out there that do think of more than just making a buck, they actually build great boats and stand behind their boats and think of the customers safety. Commander has shown again and again that they only want your money than they could care less about you. Maybe things have changed thanks to the internet and they are now taking other things into consideration, as you have been kept happy. Hopefully Commander has finally become a reputable shop, but as far as I'm concerned, too litlle too late.

DryHeatOnly
05-31-2005, 08:27 AM
Hijack<---- Be sure to checkout the Shockwave 29' Magnatude ;)

THATJEFFGUY
05-31-2005, 09:06 AM
I hope ThatJeffGuy passes this thread by.... :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
His dealio with CUMMANDER.. (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46423)
OG, I saw the thread...just not at liberty to comment too much on it. The link you posted to my original thread should be enough reading to keep any prospective Commander buyer busy for a little while...and very hesitant ! A simple search of the boards will find the most negative comments and problems of any boat manufacturer are with Commander...it's a fact !

OGShocker
05-31-2005, 09:07 AM
OG, I saw the thread...just not at liberty to comment too much on it. The link you posted to my original thread should be enough reading to keep any prospective Commander buyer busy for a little while...and very hesitant ! A simple search of the boards will find the most negative comments and problems of any boat manufacturer are with Commander...it's a fact !
Happy to help! :chi:

phebus
05-31-2005, 09:13 AM
Jeff, is your case in litigation? I wasn't sure how far it has gone, and if the cost of litigation vs. just selling and moving on was worth it. I know you can't comment on the facts of the case, but can you shed some light on where it is going?
Thanks

Biglue
05-31-2005, 10:37 AM
My family could have been killed becuase of the way they built my boat they knew of the problems but never let us know,(It was to much trouble to call all the owners and it might not happen to everyone) i could go on and on but just remember they have a bad name in the industry for a reason, yes there boats look great and there prices are lower than a lot of boats but when stuff falls apart just never go back to them and when it's time to sell it remember there are a lot of people that will not even consider one.
Hey h20 toie, what's your trouble with Commander? You are the 2nd guy I come across on the forums who is really adamant against them. Just curious. I bought an 02 commander 26 signature used and I'm happy with it. I saw you mentioned how you were concerened for your family's safety. Could you provide any details. I'm wondering if I should have any worries. If you don't wish to air out your frustrations publicly you can PM me if you wish.

H20 Toie
05-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Bigclue I have no problems letting the public know my experence with Commander. My boat is a 1990 a friend of mine ordered it new he had it 3 months and lost his job so i bought it from him, I knew it was a cheaper boat then others out there but i liked the looks of it, The engine and jet have been perfect just doing normal service, I always took the boat back to Commander for service, I believe the boat was 4 years old when we went to parker and ran it one day fine and filled it up with gas on the second day, a little while later i smelled gas and opened the engine cover and there was a little gas in the boat. i had filled the tanks right to the top so i thought that the filler might be loose. we pulled the boat out and flushed it out and checked it out a couple of hours later everything seemed fine . we went for a ride up to the dam to float back down, after about a half hour my wife says she smells gas again i get back in the boat and open the engine cover there was about 3 inches of gas so we grab my 6mo old daughter and swim to shore we have one of the jet skis go back and get another boat, by time we get the boat back on the trailer the whole bottom of the boat is full of gas, we checked all the hose and clamps again and cannot find anything wrong.
We took out the interior so that we can get at the tanks, they had been held in by wood screws that came out and fell beside the tanks and wore a hole into the bottom edge of tank.
I took it back to Commander and after 2 weeks when they had a chance to look at it, They called back to say they would fix it for only $4500 and becuase of the problems they have been having with this happening they now use bolts and nuts to hold in the tanks.
When i asked WHY they would not have let know about this kind of problem his answer was that they can't call everyone and that usually the screws just fall to the bottom and it is not a issue. but that they don't install them like that anymore.
So since i was a little pissed at them i pickup up my boat and took it to a local shop, when they pulled the other tank it had screws wearing into it also. BTW the other shop fixed bath tanks and replaced all the carpet that was ruined for $2k.
For me it comes down to the fact that they knew there was a problem, they had my number, I would have paid to have it fixed before endangering my family. I can deal with the fact that they don't use loknuts on anything and that you have to always keep on top things falling apart, thats part of having a cheap boat, but when they have a serious saftey issue and don't do anything about it there is no excuse.

Biglue
05-31-2005, 03:45 PM
Bigclue I have no problems letting the public know my experence with Commander. My boat is a 1990 a friend of mine ordered it new he had it 3 months and lost his job so i bought it from him, I knew it was a cheaper boat then others out there but i liked the looks of it, The engine and jet have been perfect just doing normal service, I always took the boat back to Commander for service, I believe the boat was 4 years old when we went to parker and ran it one day fine and filled it up with gas on the second day, a little while later i smelled gas and opened the engine cover and there was a little gas in the boat. i had filled the tanks right to the top so i thought that the filler might be loose. we pulled the boat out and flushed it out and checked it out a couple of hours later everything seemed fine . we went for a ride up to the dam to float back down, after about a half hour my wife says she smells gas again i get back in the boat and open the engine cover there was about 3 inches of gas so we grab my 6mo old daughter and swim to shore we have one of the jet skis go back and get another boat, by time we get the boat back on the trailer the whole bottom of the boat is full of gas, we checked all the hose and clamps again and cannot find anything wrong.
We took out the interior so that we can get at the tanks, they had been held in by wood screws that came out and fell beside the tanks and wore a hole into the bottom edge of tank.
I took it back to Commander and after 2 weeks when they had a chance to look at it, They called back to say they would fix it for only $4500 and becuase of the problems they have been having with this happening they now use bolts and nuts to hold in the tanks.
When i asked WHY they would not have let know about this kind of problem his answer was that they can't call everyone and that usually the screws just fall to the bottom and it is not a issue. but that they don't install them like that anymore.
So since i was a little pissed at them i pickup up my boat and took it to a local shop, when they pulled the other tank it had screws wearing into it also. BTW the other shop fixed bath tanks and replaced all the carpet that was ruined for $2k.
For me it comes down to the fact that they knew there was a problem, they had my number, I would have paid to have it fixed before endangering my family. I can deal with the fact that they don't use loknuts on anything and that you have to always keep on top things falling apart, thats part of having a cheap boat, but when they have a serious saftey issue and don't do anything about it there is no excuse.
Knowing that there is that big a potential probem and not notifying you is very lame. $4K to fix blows hard. I bought an 02 with 32 hours and love the hell out of it. I knew I would be getting into a used boat so I am not expecting the world from commander. The couple times I talked to them they have been pretty helpful. Hopefully they are an evolving into a higher standard. You know it takes one dumbass in the shop floor to make a sorry decision like your fuel tank installation to make the entire organization look bad. Like i said hopefully they are improving their business practises. It sounds like they might be. Like I said I own one of their boats and I am very happy with it. The times I needed some info from them they have been friendly and resourcefull.

Kilrtoy
05-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Try and call and get answers. This guy called and was told THEY ARE TOO BUSY TO ANSWER QUESTIONS.....
Sure hope this doesnt affect the sale of this boat he is trying to get..... :hammerhea

Phat Matt
05-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Try and call and get answers. This guy called and was told THEY ARE TOO BUSY TO ANSWER QUESTIONS.....
Sure hope this doesnt affect the sale of this boat he is trying to get..... :hammerhea
Do I know this guy?

Phat Matt
05-31-2005, 04:15 PM
We passed you on Rice Road Thursday night. My wife said "Sofa King Hot??? I don't get it." I had to explain it to her twice? Not real quick on the uptake, that one. :D
Half the people think I sell furniture. :D There was quite a bit of traffic that night.

Phat Matt
05-31-2005, 04:20 PM
I flashed you about 10 times, just to get your attention. :D
I should have thrown you some beads. :jawdrop: :p

H20 Toie
05-31-2005, 04:26 PM
Any boat can have problems and i knew that it was a cheaply built boat, i still have the boat we only use it a couple times a year and it has always been kept inside and covered so it still looks like new. But I would NEVER buy another Commander and i wish the internet had been around when i was looking before. That is why i did a lot of research before getting my new boat, i started by thinking about a HTM and went through a lot of choices before ending up at Shockwave or Sunsation (both with great customer servce) but found a used Cig instead.
In the end you are still going to spend quite a bit of money and there are alot of better boats and companys out there that stand behind there products.

Beer-30
05-31-2005, 05:28 PM
Any boat can have problems and i knew that it was a cheaply built boat, i still have the boat we only use it a couple times a year and it has always been kept inside and covered so it still looks like new. But I would NEVER buy another Commander and i wish the internet had been around when i was looking before. That is why i did a lot of research before getting my new boat, i started by thinking about a HTM and went through a lot of choices before ending up at Shockwave or Sunsation (both with great customer servce) but found a used Cig instead.
In the end you are still going to spend quite a bit of money and there are alot of better boats and companys out there that stand behind there products.
In all fairness to the company (and I don't even own one) you are talking 1990 vs. 2002. Apples / Oranges.
My rear seat bases (wood) on my '01 boat got a little soft and the screws for the forward-flipping hinges let go in two of them.
1. It's a used boat.
2. So, the previous owner didn't flip the seats forward and let them dry after use. Big deal; it's done now.
I just had new bases made and fiberglassed. Then I put "t-nuts" in from the top of the boards before the uph was put back on. Problem solved. Cost me $375, but unless it was brand-new - I'm not going to point the finger at the MFGr. On used boats, you suck it up and fix what's needed. Right?

Kilrtoy
05-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Do I know this guy?
Yes you do and he is ready to make an offer , but not happy now with Commander....

H20 Toie
05-31-2005, 07:08 PM
In all fairness to the company (and I don't even own one) you are talking 1990 vs. 2002. Apples / Oranges.
It's still the same owner.

Beer-30
05-31-2005, 07:36 PM
What I mean is, a 1990 boat is gonna need some work. Also, alot has been learned about what works in boats from then till now. Screws vs. bolts, gas tank mounting, etc.
A 2002 will not need near the upkeep or tweaking. That's all I meant.

Throttle
05-31-2005, 07:45 PM
yep, same, same.
don't get wet!

H20 Toie
05-31-2005, 07:57 PM
What I mean is, a 1990 boat is gonna need some work. Also, alot has been learned about what works in boats from then till now. Screws vs. bolts, gas tank mounting, etc.
I would hope they build them better now. But thats not the issue it's the fact that there are a lot better boats with owners that will stand behind there product, do a search i am not the only one or two or even ten that have had problems with them, it's just that for me my family could have been seriously hurt over a problem that did not need to happen.

Teabagger
05-31-2005, 10:20 PM
I've read the threads and it seems both issues I found are with a little older and used boats, but I don't think that excuses the issues or how they handled them. They should have taken care of them.
With that said, I'm guessing they sell probably 100-200 boats a year? If there is only a handful of issues, it doesn't seem that bad of a record IMHO?
What makes Shockwave or Sunsation a better built boat? What should I be on the lookout for between brands in this class/price of boat.

Phat Matt
06-01-2005, 02:47 AM
I've read the threads and it seems both issues I found are with a little older and used boats, but I don't think that excuses the issues or how they handled them. They should have taken care of them.
With that said, I'm guessing they sell probably 100-200 boats a year? If there is only a handful of issues, it doesn't seem that bad of a record IMHO?
What makes Shockwave or Sunsation a better built boat? What should I be on the lookout for between brands in this class/price of boat.
They do put a lot of boats out on the market. I have one and haven't had any problems and love the boat. They have also taken care of me and people I know personally when something came up. I can't complain about them or there service. But then again, that's just my opinion, just like everyone else's on the boards. Maybe I am lucky and they just treat me different. Who knows? Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Matt

dicudmore
06-01-2005, 08:40 AM
ultimately as Matt said... Its your $$$ and your call so get what makes you and your family happy. Anything on the water is a good thing...
Personally I know people with Commanders that love them, and some not so happy owners....