PDA

View Full Version : >>>>NEED HELP QUICK<<<<<<

GHTRIM
05-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Detailing the boat getting it ready for the Dam Run and noticed a hole in the bottom of the boat... Actually I believe it is a factory defect.. The Gell is SOOOO thin in this location no marks around it and some void behind it. I still think it need to be addressed ASAP!!!! Just pulled the boat from Havi and it is now in Vegas.... Need someone to help...
Thanks for any help ya'll can give... :jawdrop: :confused:

HOOTER SLED-
05-31-2005, 07:42 PM
Duct tape. ;) Just kidding. Good luck man. See ya there. I'm sure there is some kind of filler you can put for temporary.

Kachina26
05-31-2005, 07:42 PM
Got a pic of this hole? Where is it? On the running surface?

GHTRIM
05-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Got a pic of this hole? Where is it? On the running surface?
Hang on I'll go take a pic.. It is on the bottom...

Havasu Hangin'
05-31-2005, 07:49 PM
If the gel hasn't peeled off by now...

GHTRIM
05-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Here they are the one that looks read was me trying to block SOME of the flash with my finger so as not to get too much glare...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2117Boat_Hole_1.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2117Boat_Hole_2.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2117Boat_Hole_3.jpg
Thanks for any help..

GHTRIM
05-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Duct tape. ;) Just kidding. Good luck man. See ya there. I'm sure there is some kind of filler you can put for temporary.
Yea, I'm willing to go with the Beaumont fix for the short term (temp fix) although if I can get a real fix in short order that would be best.. :notam:

phebus
05-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Most likely a blister in the gel. Cosmetic only, but I would have it looked at.

Phat Matt
05-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Is it soft there or just the gel scraped off?

Beer-30
05-31-2005, 08:03 PM
Hard to tell from the pics, but are those more blisters fore and aft of the damaged section? Looks like more in the future?

GHTRIM
05-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Is it soft there or just the gel scraped off?
No, it is hard all around.. Tapped around and all sounded solid.. There is a little void in the area missing gel though. I would imagine it would need to be filled prior to gel??? :( :idea:

Kilrtoy
05-31-2005, 08:09 PM
I told you not to let FRENCHIE drive...
Sorry to hear about this Don...
I hope its nothing too serious aa cheap fix.....

phebus
That just looks like a beaching scar. If that bothers you, you should see the bottom of my boat, it would make you cry.

GHTRIM
Hard to tell from the pics, but are those more blisters fore and aft of the damaged section? Looks like more in the future?
No I don't believe so.. I looked pretty close.. There does appear to be build up of gel right on the angle in the pic. But don't believe it is voids.. :skull:

Beer-30
05-31-2005, 08:10 PM
I'm sure there are other alternatives, but scuffing the area with coarse sandpaper, some two-part automotive bondo (unless there is a marine version) and then block sand to shape the edge. Would get you by for the weekend.

Phat Matt
05-31-2005, 08:10 PM
No, it is hard all around.. Tapped around and all sounded solid.. There is a little void in the area missing gel though. I would imagine it would need to be filled prior to gel??? :( :idea:
You should be fine for this weekend then. If you can't put your finger through it I wouldn't worry about anything.

GHTRIM
05-31-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm sure there are other alternatives, but scuffing the area with coarse sandpaper, some two-part automotive bondo (unless there is a marine version) and then block sand to shape the edge. Would get you by for the weekend.
Have you ever done this?? I am willing to try anything.. just want to be safe..

mike37
05-31-2005, 08:28 PM
PM framer1 he logs on early in the morning so PM him tonight and he will most
likely get back to you by 6 or AM if he logs on
he had some stuff to fix that kind of thing
type of marine bondoe

GHTRIM
05-31-2005, 08:31 PM
PM framer1 he logs on early in the morning so PM him tonight and he will most
likely get back to you by 6 or AM if he logs on
he had some stuff to fix that kind of thing
type of marine bondoe
Cool thanks..

CornWater
05-31-2005, 08:41 PM
If it is not soft then I'm 99% sure it is fine.... the blister is on the stringer, so it does not run all the way through... just a scar from bleaching that can be glassed over.. If you don't believe me just ask HH, he knows all... :D :D

BoatFloating
05-31-2005, 08:59 PM
It looks fine..... Run it hard...... :D

Havasu Hangin'
05-31-2005, 09:01 PM
If you don't believe me just ask HH, he knows all... :D :D
I only know three things:
1. Boats will suck the financial life out of you.
2. Women are always right.
3. I'm gonna be really hung over tomorrow.
Everything else is in question...
:D

MagicMtnDan
05-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Do what any guy would do with a hole in the bottom...plug it tight! :D

plaster dave
05-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Well my old boat had the same mark and it was a broken stringer I hope that's not the case with your. good luck.

Racer277
05-31-2005, 09:06 PM
IMHO, I would Sea Goin Poxy Putty that thing.
If the fiber matting is exposed to the water, it will wick water through for quite some distance. Then it's really a pain to fix. Sea Goin is easy to work with, or fiber glass resin, just to seal the matt away from the water. Even for the weekend until you can get a pro to repair it.
The duct tape is a joke, right?

essexjet
05-31-2005, 09:12 PM
GHTRIM, I would try marine tex for a quick and temp fix. Works really well and hardens fast. You can pick it up at some wal-marts and at west marine. Check out there web site marine tex (http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20PAGE_files/All%20MarineTex%20Putty/marinetex%20prod%20info.htm)

doesitfloat?
05-31-2005, 09:20 PM
West Marine or Boater's World (both have stores in Vegas/Henderson ) sells a product called MarineTex (or something like that ). It is a marine grade 2 part epoxy/bondo like substance. I had a similar situation with a "wear" spot on my keel right before a big weekend so I added some Marine Tex to the area for a temporary reinforcement (and piece of mind ) until I could have A&N Marine in Boulder City do some gel repair. Good Luck.

doesitfloat?
05-31-2005, 09:22 PM
Sorry, didn't see EssexJet's post about until after I wrote mine...at least I know that the name is Marine Tex.

essexjet
05-31-2005, 09:23 PM
Sorry, didn't see EssexJet's post about until after I wrote mine...at least I know that the name is Marine Tex.
Good minds think alike :idea:

Roxysnow
05-31-2005, 09:36 PM
That sucks! Sucks finding shiat you weren't expecting unless it's money. It does look like a beaching scar. Boat probably drifted up on to a rock from a wake. Try the using what essex said. Should get you through the weekend fine. :confused:

FRENCHIE
06-01-2005, 05:36 AM
That sucks! Sucks finding shiat you weren't expecting unless it's money. It does look like a beaching scar. Boat probably drifted up on to a rock from a wake. Try the using what essex said. Should get you through the weekend fine. :confused:
you betta get your priorities straight for this weekend!! i know who your going to have to bumper up with!!!!
:devil: :p :D :hammer2:

GHTRIM
06-01-2005, 06:00 AM
Marine Tex it is. I will go buy some today and try and fix it tonight.. Let ya know how it goes..
Thanks everyone for the input... :)

Red Horse
06-01-2005, 06:47 AM
Couple of ideas before you get to work. Try to dry the area out with a light first off. A simple 100 watt drop lamp will work. Then sand the areas around it to make the Marine Tex hold a little better. Moisture trapped can be worse than a seen hole. If you didnt get this in time dry it out for the real repair or make sure the shop does it.

dicudmore
06-01-2005, 08:21 AM
good luck with the repair Don...
See ya out there this weekend :D

Beer-30
06-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Have you ever done this?? I am willing to try anything.. just want to be safe..
No, to be honest, I never have. I have just worked with bondo before, on autos and planes. I am sure there is probably a marine version. You would want a permanent repair with glass, but that would be easy to do to get you through the weekend.

That Guy
06-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Don: Had a really similar situation on my Advantage a few weeks back. I think I hit something in the water and it left a similar mark. Took it into Advantage and they had it repaired in about 2 hours. I would find a reputable boat shop and have it fixed. It seriously is a very quick fix as long as you haven't blown through the fiberglass...(which it doesn't look like you have done)...good luck.

essexjet
06-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Marine Tex it is. I will go buy some today and try and fix it tonight.. Let ya know how it goes..
Thanks everyone for the input... :)
Take some pics of before and after, I would like to see how it came out.

VEGASBABY
06-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Hey Don, If you need any help let me know !!!!!

Nord
06-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Leave it at home and get drunk on somebody elses boat!!! :idea: :D

GHTRIM
06-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Hey Don, If you need any help let me know !!!!!
Be working on it tonight.. Your more than welcome to come over for a couple and hang... Let me know.. You got my cel... or I'll call you on my way home from work... I'm at work busy posting so it might be awhile before I leave.... :)

WYRD
06-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Be working on it tonight.. Your more than welcome to come over for a couple and hang... Let me know.. You got my cel... or I'll call you on my way home from work... I'm at work busy posting so it might be awhile before I leave.... :)
did you fix it Don?

Beer-30
06-02-2005, 01:10 PM
yeah, how did it go?

Big Warlock
06-02-2005, 01:53 PM
In the yellow pages. Give someone a call. It looks pretty simple as long as it's not a stringer broke or in danger. Should fix up easy.
I am not allowed to comment on this anymore as it will get me in trouble. Look forward to seeing you out there.
Rob

dicudmore
06-02-2005, 02:12 PM
In the yellow pages. Give someone a call. It looks pretty simple as long as it's not a stringer broke or in danger. Should fix up easy.
I am not allowed to comment on this anymore as it will get me in trouble. Look forward to seeing you out there.
Rob
no trouble...unless MY hull flexes when you give it the push test :wink: