PDA

View Full Version : Tech Tip

cyclone
06-02-2005, 09:50 AM
If you powdercoat your alternator mount then make sure you run a ground wire to the alternator casing. They tend to not charge the battery if not properly grounded. I found out the hard way last weekend when my battery suddenly died. Apparently I had been running off my battery for two river trips in a row.

flat broke
06-02-2005, 10:33 AM
If you powdercoat your alternator mount then make sure you run a ground wire to the alternator casing. They tend to not charge the battery if not properly grounded. I found out the hard way last weekend when my battery suddenly died. Apparently I had been running off my battery for two river trips in a row.
I know that you know an alternator throws more than 12v.... Got a volt gauge in that bad boy? :D
Just effen with ya, but a good tip none the less. You fockers have a good time out there this weekend.
Chris

Floored
06-02-2005, 10:36 AM
At least in the posted(embarrasment intended) pic it wasn't a PWC towing ya. I learned that one from powdercoating an H-D frame and not putting star washers under voltage regulator. WHOOPS!

cyclone
06-02-2005, 11:43 AM
nope no volt gauge. and yes when I check it while running on the trailer I noticed it was ownly showing 12-volts and not the usual 13-14 volts.

NELSON#109
06-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Had The Same Problem With My Ford Starter... When You Use A Rail Kit, The Starter Mounts And Grounds To The Moter Plate... Which Is Grounded To The Moter... Easy Fix, Took A Ground From The Starter About 12 Inches To Where The Bat Grounds To The Block.

Wicked Performance Boats
06-02-2005, 12:17 PM
All major connections on a boat [electrical] should have external lockwashers on them. Budlight :idea:

HBjet
06-02-2005, 12:42 PM
nope no volt gauge.
Get one!

Wicked Performance Boats
06-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Get one!
Randy, do you have one? do you look at it? With all dem women in yr boat, I bet ya hardly ever look at it!!! lol Budlight :devil:

Rexone
06-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Additionally, both powder coat and anodize are insulators. Current won't pass through either. You need to ground to bare metal somewhere that connects back to the engine. Also starters mounted on painted blocks can be a problem, particularly if the starter bolts get oily (oil = bad grounding). This is a pretty common problem with alternators, ignition systems etc.

Danhercules
06-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Having your alt wired corrrectly helps too. I found that one out. LOL :hammerhea

Wicked Performance Boats
06-02-2005, 08:00 PM
I didn't think it was hard to wire a 1 wire alt! :D Budlight

Brooski
06-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Having your alt wired corrrectly helps too. I found that one out. LOL :hammerhea
Why does that NOT surprise me. Dumb*ss :rolleyes:

Danhercules
06-03-2005, 05:44 AM
I had the wire hooked up, but forgot the jumper. LOL

CrdStang
06-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Speaking of hooking up alternators..
I have a standard GM alternator, does the ignition switched 12v+ go to the terminal marked "R" or the one marked "F"?

Taylorman
06-04-2005, 07:25 AM
To add to that ?, where does the volt gauge wire connect to? I need to go check to see where mine is hooked up to.

Floored
06-04-2005, 07:26 AM
switched 12 v should go to Field F to energize the alternator.

wsuwrhr
06-04-2005, 07:54 AM
I didn't even know I needed an alternator.
Mine hooks to a battery charger.
Brian

Brooski
06-04-2005, 11:14 PM
A volt gauge should be hooked to the 10 ga. charge wire.

CARLSON-JET
06-05-2005, 06:36 AM
The volt meter should just be hooked to the ignition "on" side of the ign. switch. The terminal marked I is where this hooks up to on the meter. it must also be grounded. the terminal marked S on the back of the guage is not used and should be insulated/covered/taped ect. An Amp meter is a different story and requires alot of heavy guage wire and is run inline with charging system. R.B.

Taylorman
06-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Ok, i checked my voltmeter and mine is hooked up to the ignition switch. I checked the directions for my volt gauge and it shows thats how it is to be hooked up. The reason i asked the question is i wasn't sure where i had connected mine when i bought the new gauges a few years ago.

Brooski
06-05-2005, 04:42 PM
The volt meter should just be hooked to the ignition "on" side of the ign. switch. The terminal marked I is where this hooks up to on the meter. it must also be grounded. the terminal marked S on the back of the guage is not used and should be insulated/covered/taped ect. An Amp meter is a different story and requires alot of heavy guage wire and is run inline with charging system. R.B.
I sit corrected. Mine still has an amp meter. :notam: But not for long.....