PDA

View Full Version : E-Boat. Can someone explain

Kurtis500
06-02-2005, 11:25 AM
I remember my dads friend owning one years ago before I paid attention to details. Where they shorter boats? I thought I remember them talking about 16 footers. They also ran small blocks. This is all I know.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Were they shorter?
Not necessarily.

ssmike
06-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Come on jerry....'splain a little more for a v drive brother

xracer
06-02-2005, 04:05 PM
I think you were referring to the APBA E Racing Runabout. This class became extinct in about 1979 and was essentially replaced by the Super Stock Class. The E Racing Runabout was defined by the APBA Runabout rules (a Flat Bottom Hull) and was limited to 311 Cubic Inches.
I first saw this class run in Utah in 1964 and 1965. Wes Knudsen held the Kilo record through 1978 in a front engined (yes, like a Cracker Box) hull. The boat ran loose, but very fast. His record in 1978 was 108.46 MPH. The last reported Kilo record in the class was McArdle in a Chevrolet/B-boat at 112.15. For comparison, the 1977 Superstock record, held by Pettengill in a Chevrolet/B-boat in was 110.74. Makes one wonder what the extra 116 Cubic Inches are for. *S*
The E Racing Runabout 5-Mile 3 Lap record was set by Villwock in 1978 in a Chevrolet/Starfire at 94.14 MPH. At that time a Ford/Starfire driven by Jack Jones held the Super Stock record at 97.99 MPH.
In that time period the Super Stock boats could weigh in at 1500 Lbs, wet without the driver. The current Super Stock rule is 1750 Lbs with the driver, making a 250 Lb driver penalty. I suspect the E Racing Runabouts were much lighter, 1100 Lbs in easy reach.
The 5-Mile 3 Lap record of Villwock in a Chevrolet Starfire at 100.28 MPH has stood since 1985, unbeaten. That record is not too far from his E Racing Runabout record of 94.14 MPH.
I have seen discussions here about a "Crate Engine" (smallblock?) class. Keeping the APBA bottom rules and adapting the weight to a lighter small block it would probably be possible for that class to outrun todays Super Stocks.

Rexone
06-02-2005, 04:45 PM
I think you were referring to the APBA E Racing Runabout. This class became extinct in about 1979 and was essentially replaced by the Super Stock Class. The E Racing Runabout was defined by the APBA Runabout rules (a Flat Bottom Hull) and was limited to 311 Cubic Inches.
I could swear I remember E's and SS's and SK's as well as K's racing all at the same races. I could be wrong though was a long time ago.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-02-2005, 07:19 PM
I could swear I remember E's and SS's and SK's as well as K's racing all at the same races. I could be wrong though was a long time ago.
The ss class was formed in 65.

CircleJerk
06-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Wasnt this called 'Grand Prix racing'? Usually run after all classes had finished?

Rexone
06-03-2005, 12:03 AM
No I didn't mean together, just all racing at the same event weekend (E & SS as in SS not replacing E but running both classes back then).

the real k-boat king
06-03-2005, 06:24 AM
I first saw this class run in Utah in 1964 and 1965. Wes Knudsen held the Kilo record through 1978 in a front engined (yes, like a Cracker Box) hull. The boat ran loose, but very fast. His record in 1978 was 108.46 MPH. The last reported Kilo record in the class was McArdle in a Chevrolet/B-boat at 112.15. For comparison, the 1977 Superstock record, held by Pettengill in a Chevrolet/B-boat in was 110.74. Makes one wonder what the extra 116 Cubic Inches are for. *S*
The E Racing Runabout 5-Mile 3 Lap record was set by Villwock in 1978 in a Chevrolet/Starfire at 94.14 MPH. At that time a Ford/Starfire driven by Jack Jones held the Super Stock record at 97.99 MPH.
In that time period the Super Stock boats could weigh in at 1500 Lbs, wet without the driver. The current Super Stock rule is 1750 Lbs with the driver, making a 250 Lb driver penalty. I suspect the E Racing Runabouts were much lighter, 1100 Lbs in easy reach.
The 5-Mile 3 Lap record of Villwock in a Chevrolet Starfire at 100.28 MPH has stood since 1985, unbeaten. That record is not too far from his E Racing Runabout record of 94.14 MPH.
I have seen discussions here about a "Crate Engine" (smallblock?) class. Keeping the APBA bottom rules and adapting the weight to a lighter small block it would probably be possible for that class to outrun todays Super Stocks.the e class was just another flatbottom class, it didn't get replaced by any other class it just got removed along with the sk class. the rules were 330 cid. do any thing you wanted to the engine on gas, no injection but you could run two carbs, the kilo record is 119 mph held by greg foster. the hull rules were the same as they are now.

xracer
06-03-2005, 06:38 AM
It is very likely that for some period of time in California that all four classes were present at the races. The records for E Racing Runabout end in 1978. Before 1978 and shortly after 1978, during the demise of the E Racing Runabout there would be racers that wanted to race them.
I do not have clear visibility on that from Texas where I was racing. SDBA abandoned APBA (probably a good move) and formed their own circle classes. We had an SBC class which quickly populated with about 15 boats. One of the fattest wallets ever to race, Red Adair was in the class. Among many of us of very modest means.
Pettengill cleaned up the unlimited class until the demise of the Austin Aqua Festival and the long time collapse of circle races in Texas. I do not recall any California E, SS, SK or PS boats at Austin. The rules would have disadvanged them

tfrahz555
07-20-2006, 03:19 PM
the e class was just another flatbottom class, it didn't get replaced by any other class it just got removed along with the sk class. the rules were 330 cid. do any thing you wanted to the engine on gas, no injection but you could run two carbs, the kilo record is 119 mph held by greg foster. the hull rules were the same as they are now.
correct me if im wrong, but the 119 kilo record was in the barron sprint that jim clauss owns? Do you have any pictures of it as an e boat.

canam10
07-20-2006, 04:31 PM
The ss class was formed in 65.
Jerry,
You sure it was 65. Thats when I first started racing in the SK class and do not recall SS being a class at that time. I remember racing in the nationals in 68 and their were no SS boats. I got my first SS boat I believe in 69. It could have been out your way a bit sooner. Tim

stickmann
07-20-2006, 06:14 PM
From the Vintage website:
Super Stock Runabout
Date - 10/02/66
Site - Carlsbad, CA
Name - Dick Jones
Engine/Hull - Chrysler/Patterson
Boat - Charger IV
Speed (MPH) - 79.295

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Jerry,
You sure it was 65. Thats when I first started racing in the SK class and do not recall SS being a class at that time. I remember racing in the nationals in 68 and their were no SS boats. I got my first SS boat I believe in 69. It could have been out your way a bit sooner. Tim
It all started (and Dmontzsta will love this!) on southern California's lake Elsinore in 1965 (where I grew up water skiing).
This is a hallcraft ad from the back cover of issue 1 volume 1 of Hot Boat magaine. It pretty much says it all.
***boat mag was 100% ***boats back then. :cool:
One of the originall SS class entrants was Don St. John, he still makes appearances at races (even though I haven't seen him in a few years).
The rules have definately changed since then....
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Copy%20of%20Hallcraft%20ad.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Hallcraft%20ad.jpg
Front cover...
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Hallcraft%20ad%20001.jpg

msmeads1
07-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Jerry is the man when it comes to the old stuff.

dmontzsta
07-20-2006, 08:54 PM
It all started (and Dmontzsta will love this!) on southern California's lake Elsinore in 1965 (where I grew up water skiing).
Those guys knew what was up! Elsinore Rocks!

canam10
07-21-2006, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=V-DRIVE VIDEO]It all started (and Dmontzsta will love this!) on southern California's lake Elsinore in 1965 (where I grew up water skiing).
This is a hallcraft ad from the back cover of issue 1 volume 1 of Hot Boat magaine. It pretty much says it all.
One of the originall SS class entrants was Don St. John, he still makes appearances at races (even though I haven't seen him in a few years).
The rules have definately changed since then....
Jerry,
Your more than likely right. You guys on the West Coast were always a couple years ahead of us when it came to v-drives back than. The Nationals in 1968 did not run SS only SK. I still have the program (with picture of me and my SK-102 and the newspaper results.) I got drafted in March of 68 but my Dad had my boat ready and I was able race in the event. I was not able to race again till the summer of 70 when I ran my new Bob Warren Hurricane hull wooddecker SS-71 Orange Crate Too.As I still have not figured out how to post pictures on this site I will send you the picture of my SK-102 Orange Crate that was in the national's program and of my "new"(at the time) Super Stock. Both boats were 427 Ford Powered. The SK was destroked to 396 inches. Tim

CircleJerk
07-21-2006, 04:46 PM
How about that Art.....SS83! CanAm10, it's always good to read your posts! The Navy got me also in 1968. 'Orange Create'? In reference or respect to the famed California Hot Rod called Orange Crate or did you have a grove of trees creating $?

canam10
07-21-2006, 06:13 PM
How about that Art.....SS83! CanAm10, it's always good to read your posts! The Navy got me also in 1968. 'Orange Create'? In reference or respect to the famed California Hot Rod called Orange Crate or did you have a grove of trees creating $?
Thanks Boyd,
Didn't know the Navy drafted anybody !! Execpt in the case of my Son and he didn't have to go. The Navy came after him as he was one of the top engineering students in country. After a long interview process and several trips to Washington, DC he was selected from the several candidates to teach Nuclear Propulltion at the Nucular Power school in Charleston,S.C. He taught down there for 4 years and turned over his command a couple years ago.
I really liked the poppy red mustangs at the time so I ordered an Orange Boat. I had the boat Shipped to New York on a flatbed tractor trailer and Bob built a crate to ship it in. When Bob called to say he shipped my orange crate the name just stuck. Tim

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Jerry,
Your more than likely right. You guys on the West Coast were always a couple years ahead of us when it came to v-drives back than. The Nationals in 1968 did not run SS only SK. I still have the program (with picture of me and my SK-102 and the newspaper results.) I got drafted in March of 68 but my Dad had my boat ready and I was able race in the event. I was not able to race again till the summer of 70 when I ran my new Bob Warren Hurricane hull wooddecker SS-71 Orange Crate Too.As I still have not figured out how to post pictures on this site I will send you the picture of my SK-102 Orange Crate that was in the national's program and of my "new"(at the time) Super Stock. Both boats were 427 Ford Powered. The SK was destroked to 396 inches. Tim
I got the e-mail, here's your pics. Really cool stuff!!! :cool:
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Schulte%203.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Schulte%204.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Schulte%205.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Schulte%20pic2.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Schulte%20pics.jpg

steve d
07-22-2006, 05:19 AM
Great stuff Jerry.....Got any more :) I know you're set up, but it still takes some
time to post Pics--Thanks again

canam10
07-22-2006, 06:04 AM
[QUOTE=V-DRIVE VIDEO]I got the e-mail, here's your pics. Really cool stuff!!!
Thanks Jerry,
One of these days I'll take the time to sit down and figure out how to post pictures. Till than as I dig them out I'll send them to you, bet your thrilled !!!
The Sk-102 and the SS-71 were my first two race boats. I had one other Hurricane hull before I purchased my first Biesemeyer mid 70's. The SK-165 is Ralph Barker's 16' Patterson, Hemi Powered, with Bill Burgess at the wheel. Greg Barker has been looking for years for this boat and I'm pretty sure would settle for any 16' Pattersen that maybe out there for sale ( Greg has Boyds/Arts Lavey) and will be making his return to the wheel in the new SE class also. The color picture is of the Canadian Racing Team. As you can see Valleyfield has always been the premier race site in the country. Notice the Club Nautique in the background. I'll bet none of us could count as high as the beers that have been drunk and stories told in that place. It's a bit different today but still there. Thanks again Jerry, Tim

echo
07-22-2006, 03:29 PM
In the 1950s the Buffalo Launch Club on Grand Island,N.Y. held the best boat races you would want to see.All Classes.Would be great if alot of West coast guys you visit Grand Island.I grew up there,been in California and Parker for 35 years.

DansBlown73Nordic
07-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Anybody have plans to attend the Race Boat Regatta on the St Lawrence River? Im thinking of taking my Nordic up just to cruise around in.

canam10
07-22-2006, 08:19 PM
In the 1950s the Buffalo Launch Club on Grand Island,N.Y. held the best boat races you would want to see.All Classes.Would be great if alot of West coast guys you visit Grand Island.I grew up there,been in California and Parker for 35 years.
There is no doubt about the Buffalo Launch Club being one of the earliest and best race sites during the early years of boat racing. I don't recall the last years they held a race, but my guess would be in the 50's. The vintage boats put on one of the largest shows in the country at the Launch Club every year, the beginning of September and maybe second only to the Clayton,N.Y. show. It's surely a show worth going to if your interested in vintage racing. I live just down stream from the Buffalo Launch club just past the South bridge. I also served as Commadore of the B&T boat racing association for a few years and we were based out of the Launch club. I never raced at the Launch club but do remember watching a race or two from there as a young boy. We are still racing on the Niagara River but we're across the river in the Tonawanda's Pictures are of the Buffalo Launch Club and the view of the Niagara River as I'm sitting at my computer. Tim

Rexone
07-23-2006, 12:59 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15794
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15795
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15796

VD CRUISER
07-23-2006, 05:35 AM
Neat picture Mike, those guys ran em loose, didn't they.

You Te
07-23-2006, 07:32 AM
]
INTERESTING!!!!!!

tfrahz555
07-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks Boyd,
Didn't know the Navy drafted anybody !! Execpt in the case of my Son and he didn't have to go. The Navy came after him as he was one of the top engineering students in country. After a long interview process and several trips to Washington, DC he was selected from the several candidates to teach Nuclear Propulltion at the Nucular Power school in Charleston,S.C. He taught down there for 4 years and turned over his command a couple years ago.
I really liked the poppy red mustangs at the time so I ordered an Orange Boat. I had the boat Shipped to New York on a flatbed tractor trailer and Bob built a crate to ship it in. When Bob called to say he shipped my orange crate the name just stuck. Tim
Tim,
Its a small world. I was a student at Navel Nuclear power School in the mid 90's. Back then Nuclear power school was in Orlando, fl. I remember going to lake magorie and seeing Duff set the 1 1/4 K boat record while i was stationed there.
Woody

canam10
07-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Tim,
Its a small world. I was a student at Navel Nuclear power School in the mid 90's. Back then Nuclear power school was in Orlando, fl. I remember going to lake magorie and seeing Duff set the 1 1/4 K boat record while i was stationed there.
Woody
Woody,
It sure is. Tim graduated from the University of Neveda Reno in May of 99 and went to Officer Indoctrination School Newport, Rhode Island, graduating 23 July 1999. He started teaching at the power school that Aug. It was almost new at that time. Tim continued to race stock cars down there at Summerville speedway. He is still at it, racing mini modifidies in Virginia. Also on this thread Echo grew up on Grand Island and the old pictures Jerry posted for me are from the early races at the Buffalo Launch Club.
Lake Magorie, man that was a nice place to race Worlds record course always great water. Last time I ran there was about 77-78. I thought they stopped running there shortly after that. That was always a great winter trip for a bit they ran Miami,St Pete(lake Magorie) back to back and one year they even added a race in Mt. Dora. Tim