PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Vent & Need Some Help/Advice

payloan
06-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Allright very serious matter here. It's going to be long so bear with me and I truly do need some input. My drive screwed up on me this weekened. It was the first time out this year. I had the boat "serviced" about a month ago and paid $300.00 for what I thought was a full service I won't tell who I use for service because I don't want to jump the gun. Full service as agreed was to: 1.) change oil in motor
2.) top off batteries
3.) top off drive fluids
4.) and as agreed "top off all fluids" and "make sure everything looks good"
Does $300.00 sound right for this service?
So.... I launch and go about half way up river and turn around and go back to pick up the rest of the crew, we load em in and go back up river. I had a major "sausage fest" on board with 9 guys everythings going good (oh yeah we brought 1 chick) on the way back the motor shuts off so I switch tanks and fire it back up ( after a few trys) and suddenly here something that just doesn't sound right I turn it off and get towed in (to the sandbar of course) after a few hour sthere I turn it on and nurse it to the marina then waited till morning and put it on trailer. I take it over to guy yesterday and he checks the drive oil and guess what ... theres no oil, well some but it was very low only enough to leak out of the bottom screw behind the prop. He asks "did you see any leak on your driveway or anything" I say no. Before he unscerewed the bottom screw he undid the the one at the top of drive and you could hear the preasure release while he was unscrewing. My thought is that if there was a leak should there be pressure coming out of that top screw. anyhow I will pause for now to see what I here from you guys so that I can pinpoint what needs to be told.

life's a river
06-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Did you take it back to the guy who did the service? I would have started right there.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
06-02-2005, 02:34 PM
i got quoted $600 today for a "full service". So $300 sounds good to me.
But then again, maybe you get what you pay for. I would first run this scenario by the guy that did your work. If that doesn't go well, then blast their name all over the boards. I'd like to know who it is so i don't take my boat there...

Liberator TJ1984
06-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Does $300.00 sound right for this service?
Damn I'm screwin' myself outta 300 clams every time I take the boat out :D
Seriously , if you had a leak I don't think it would have any pressure, sounds like they drained it and forgot to fill back up ???
do you still have that work order ??? do they keep a record on file of what was done to your boats maint.??
good luck !

Scream
06-02-2005, 02:36 PM
$300 for an oil change and fluid check is about right for what we pay for service on our boats. You should try to take the boat back and talk to the offending shop. There's no way you woulnd't have noticed a leak of some sort on your outdrive, that thing holds a lot of grease.
Scream

Beer-30
06-02-2005, 02:44 PM
$300 for an oil change and fluid check is about right for what we pay for service on our boats. You should try to take the boat back and talk to the offending shop. There's no way you woulnd't have noticed a leak of some sort on your outdrive, that thing holds a lot of grease.
Scream
Yeah, a B-1 holds 88 ozs (somewhere around there). That's a lot to leak out in one run.
On the other hand, do you guys think the o/d would have lasted that long w/o any oil on the gears? I guess the residule would stay on there until they got hot enough to cook it. Hmm.
I do my own oil / lube changes for just that reason.

NashvilleBound
06-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Was the oil that came out burnt? Are your insides ok?(gears) Any traces of water inside the drive? Bummer on the whole thing. I would take it back to the servicing dealer....I hope hes reputable.

Chromegorilla
06-02-2005, 02:56 PM
$300 sounds pretty good. I just had a 100 Hr service to include oil/filter change, drive lube change, new water impeller, grease lube all fittings and cables and pull and check drive alginment. I paid $400 even.

Tom Brown
06-02-2005, 02:59 PM
On the other hand, do you guys think the o/d would have lasted that long w/o any oil on the gears?
Yes.
I know a guy who drained his L/U in the fall and forgot to refill in the spring... didn't realize it until the next fall when he found it empty. That was a small OMC outboard but it's surprising how long they will go without oil.

payloan
06-02-2005, 03:09 PM
When he unscrewed the the top needle it smelled pretty bad almost like some pretty bad propane. When he released the lower needle the oil looked green which I thought looked o.k.. When he unscrewed the top plate right away he said theres no oil and pumped some in, how much ... I'd be guessing but it did take e few seconds before it started to spew over the top gears. There was some visible metal mesh in the oil and he thought it would be a bearing being that the engine fired right up. I called him today and he's telling me "not good bro" he has it at his Merc. guy doing an estimate right now. He said that what he can see.. the gears are focked@! I just don't know how to approach it my gut instinct is that he forgot to fill up the drive with oil. I don't even think he drained it when he did the service so before that the last "service" was done at the beginning of last season. I must of gone about about 6 to 8 trips last season.

surfer2001
06-02-2005, 03:15 PM
There is a low oil sensor for your drive. I don’t understand why it didn’t start beeping like crazy. It also should have gone into engine protect mode.

payloan
06-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Allright I am getting ready to call he guy what could a drive cost to redo a gear or 2

Dave C
06-02-2005, 03:27 PM
what year is this thing?
The drive should have emptied the drive oil monitor and that monitor alarm should have gone off when it got low?
unless the valve malfuntioned too.

NashvilleBound
06-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Good point...your low oil buzzer for one should have gone off. I know mine always goes crazy when I still have 1/2 a reserve left and do some crazy stunt. The funny smell is that nasty oil they use. Kinda like the synthetic Ford uses in their rear ends...nasty. On the other hand...it could have just been your time on your gears. Hard telling. I hope someone can give you the truth. I would like to know who the servicing dealer is but I dont think its right to put it on this thread. He might have done his job perfectly.