PDA

View Full Version : Register trailer in Calif or AZ?

FASTERDAMITT
06-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Primary residense in Calif but have Vaca home in AZ. Can I register the trailer in Az like the boat if it will be in Calif part time? I have heard stories awhile back that people had problems with the Calif DMV doing this.

Boatcop
06-03-2005, 07:20 PM
If you are a California Resident every vehicle (trailer is a vehicle) you own MUST be registered in California, unless that vehicle will NEVER be brought into California. (Even just passing through, for repairs, or whatever)
Boats are different. They can be registered in the State of principle use. So no problems in registering the boat in AZ. However the trailer must be registered in CA.

wantacat
06-03-2005, 07:43 PM
What he said, boat in Arizona and trailer in Cali. Have you had the boat registered in CA already?

FASTERDAMITT
06-03-2005, 07:52 PM
No, boat in new built in New York. Thanks.

Steamin' Rice
06-03-2005, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=wantacat]What he said, boat in Arizona and trailer in Cali. [QUOTE]
what he said

PBOCOP
06-03-2005, 09:08 PM
AZ. I register them all in AZ. Never had a problem. Although, I never bring them back to California either. If you can, always register the boat in Arizona. Shitty California will charge a luxury tax on your boat if it is Reg in Calif.

Titan7
06-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Can you change reg to AZ if it's currently Reg in CA?

wantacat
06-03-2005, 09:15 PM
AZ. I register them all in AZ. Never had a problem. Although, I never bring them back to California either. If you can, always register the boat in Arizona. Shitty California will charge a luxury tax on your boat if it is Reg in Calif.
Yea what he said. :D:D serious though never register in california if you can avoid it due to the luxury tax. If its registered here even for one day you will be charged for the entire year. Register the boat in Arizona as a non resident. Regardless your suppose to register the boat in the state you use it the most. Do a search here, there is a good thread on who to contact in Arizona with a number so you will have no hassle. Good luck later!

wantacat
06-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Can you change reg to AZ if it's currently Reg in CA?
Yes you can but you will be charged luxury tax for the year it was in california, its needs to be out of cali before jan 1st. I think you have to prove were the boat is stored. (ex. reciepts etc)

wantacat
06-03-2005, 09:21 PM
OK found the number on who to contact at the phoenix office, her name is Libby 602-942-3000 ext 3406

SDLifesaver
06-04-2005, 05:21 AM
You can't register a trailer or motor vehicle in AZ unless you have a AZ driver license. You have to surrender your CA license to get the AZ license. No worky. Boat in AZ, but rates are going to raise soon and trailer in CA. CA has a new thing a few years ago that trailers are every 5 years now. Hope this helps a little.

franky
06-04-2005, 05:49 AM
You can't register a trailer or motor vehicle in AZ unless you have a AZ driver license. You have to surrender your CA license to get the AZ license. No worky. Boat in AZ, but rates are going to raise soon and trailer in CA. CA has a new thing a few years ago that trailers are every 5 years now. Hope this helps a little.
Thats funny, I registered two of my vehicles in AZ and had a CA drivers license at the time. Did have a SECOND home here though.
Also, when you get a Permanent Registration in AZ, it is one fee for the lifetime. In CA, Permanent has to be paid every five years.
Guess CA DMV doesn't understand the fricken english language.

phebus
06-04-2005, 07:46 AM
I live in Ca. and have both my boat and trailer registered in AZ. It's no problem, and has no residency requirements.
What you can't do, is have a drivers license in both states. I think that what Nick is referring to. If you wanted an AZ. drivers license, you would have to surrender your CA license.
Vehicles and trailers are no problem to register in AZ. Boats must be done through the Game and Fish Dept., while trailers must be done at the DMV. Do not register your trailer in AZ., if you plan on bringing it back to CA. Only register it there, if it is going to stay there.