PDA

View Full Version : Alright guys, gotta dilemma....

77 Apollo Jet Boat
04-28-2006, 03:49 PM
as of now, im REALLY eyeing these 2 jets:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CALIFORNIA-PERFORMANCE-JET-BOAT_W0QQitemZ4634088554QQcategoryZ80653QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem
and a member HBjet boat... http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110878
what would be the pros/cons of each of these jets? i need specifics like which one has the better pump, better jet, better everything.
ive called the owner of the California and left a message. ive also emailed/PMed HBjet about his jet.
let the nit-picking of these jets begin so i can hopefully get myself a jet!!!!!
PS, on the California, ill be asking the price of the jet w/o the engine (i dont care to use av-gas and i know the eliminator wont come w/ one so ill try and use my 460 in which ever jet i get...if i can.)
Thanks guys,
William

robk
04-28-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm going to have to say.... HBJet's. The MPD-built pump alone is awesome. That is an incredible boat!
The other one looks nice and all, but won't measure up to HBJet's.
Rob

572Daytona
04-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Are you planning on racing it or just use it for cruising on local lakes? If you aren't going to race, you probably don't want a lightweight racing hull or a high comp engine that needs avgas(which you've already stated). So in that case I think the Liberty would be more suitable. Just my opinion.

77 Apollo Jet Boat
04-28-2006, 04:09 PM
is MPD like the top-of-the-line pumps?
hows it rate w/ berkley (ive had one for almost 30 yrs and never had a single problem out of it...except for it needed to be rebuilt...wear ring was going bad) so my respect for them is very high.
thanks,
William

77 Apollo Jet Boat
04-28-2006, 04:12 PM
it will mainly be a lake cruiser but will want to open it up if any competition comes near......or if i provoke it =). ill have lots of friends w/ me, ppl laying out on the deck, ect...
im going to see if they will part the CP w/o the engine so i can add my own. like i said, i dont really care for the engine that comes w/ it.
William

robk
04-28-2006, 04:58 PM
is MPD like the top-of-the-line pumps?
hows it rate w/ berkley (ive had one for almost 30 yrs and never had a single problem out of it...except for it needed to be rebuilt...wear ring was going bad) so my respect for them is very high.
thanks,
William
It is a Berkeley Pump -- MPD is a shop here in SoCal that does magic when it comes to pumps. Search around the board, there's tons of info on the work done by MPD and I don't think I ever heard them mentioned negatively.
Rob

78Southwind
04-28-2006, 05:24 PM
All of this is kind of pointing out the obvious.
They’re both set up for a Chevy so you will have to buy a new front and rear engine mounts for the ford.
The CP’s pump looks to be some what stock (from the pictures I don’t see a ride plate).
The Liberty has the works as Hbjet put it (MPD pump, Stainless impeller, AQ shaft, custom ride plate, back cut shoe and 2 shims for adjusting, Stuffer, and custom intake loader.

atxwrangler
04-28-2006, 06:10 PM
with the pump work and other attention to details, i would go with the liberty. much better looking boat also, imho.

lilrick
04-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Liberty

superdave013
04-28-2006, 07:00 PM
ONLY 3 IN EXISTENCE!!!
yeah right, that right there says that guy might be BSing on a few things.
I know HBjet pretty well and know all the work that boat has in it. The pump was done by the master (MPD). But lets not forget the work that the other "master" did. Jeff Benett did a lot of bottom work to that hull. Between those 2 there is major talent right there. And don't sell HBjet short either. He tested, and tested and tested some more. That's why his boat ran SO much better then the avg v bottom jet boat. And then it also has a very nice and near new interior also. I have not looked at his ad and have no idea what he's asking for it. But I bet he's taking a major bath on it even if he gets to $$. He has a ton invested in that hull.
CP's are nice boats and it could be a good buy. But HB's is top shelf in every way shape and fourm. I'm shocked he's letting it go.

RCB19
04-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Tough decision to say the least. As said above HB's boat has had all the right stuff done to it out of the box. Just drop your motor in it and be done. However the CP has much more potential performance wise if you want to take your boating to the next level. Sounds like you are more into casual boating. Buy Randy's boat! If you wanted to build a boat for a more serious fair I would say buy the CP and sink the money into it. From the looks of it I would bet that Randy's Liberty would out run that CP if your motor was swaped from one to the other. My .02 Jing.

bakerjet
04-29-2006, 07:07 AM
i wonder what a boat like the cp is doing in timberon? its a small mountain community at @7000'. did i see wires hanging down from under the dash? about the only good thing i see over hb's boat is its about 12hrs closer to you.

RCB19
04-29-2006, 07:26 AM
i wonder what a boat like the cp is doing in timberon? its a small mountain community at @7000'. did i see wires hanging down from under the dash? about the only good thing i see over hb's boat is its about 12hrs closer to you.
Not only that who the hell in their right mind would put a bimini top on a CP? FUGLY!!!