PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Ford Recipes

H8Monday
09-07-2001, 09:40 PM
I am looking to rebuild my 460 over the winter. What are your favorite/Most successful recipes for this engine?
The boat is an Eliminator 20.5 sport cruiser used for skiing about 4 days a week, and for hotrodding one night a week (Thursdays)
The pump is a Berk JG with a Place diverter and an A/B cut Aggressor Imp. (Rebuilt by me last week.)
The engine has Dove (CE?) heads, a Torker intake a Holley 4150 750cfm and Log manifolds. (Due to space limitations caused by interior layout the logs have to stay)
Suggestions?

H8Monday
09-08-2001, 08:48 PM
I was really hoping that I would get a couple of suggestions on Cam choice, compression ratio, intake manifold preferences and favorite heads etc.

Hallett19
09-08-2001, 09:01 PM
I just recently rebuilt mine, and it turned out good, starting from the ground up, MAC windage tray, melling high flow oil pump, new clevite bearings, stock rods and pistons, speed-pro rings with .08 gap, decked the block so the pistons sit flat with the top of the block, debured the block and painted the inside with high temp rustoleum for better oil drainage as well as the inside of the heads, isky cam (don't know the specs) motorsport timing chain and gear(imperative), isky lifters and pushrods(lifters already croaked) double valvesprings, rebuilt heads(planing on a world famous Ben Alameda port and polish this winter), Weiand stealth intake and edelbrock carb(in dire need of tuning) msd blaster and msd marine ignition box,taylor wires and ngk platnum plugs and changed the distibutor from points to electic pickup....phewww, and I think that is it, it turns 4400-4700 on what I think is an A impelar(whatever comes with a 12-JC) and is a solid 60-65 I'm sure, it will turn more once I tune the carb and port the heads and fix my damn lifter problem, and degree the cam, and add a blower and on and on and on........

fryzll
09-08-2001, 09:05 PM
Hey H8Monday, your gonna get alot of different opinions on this question so I will just let you know what I have in my boat. Its a 460 w/ D0VE C heads (actually I have 1 D0 and 1 C9 but they are the same) CompCams roler tip rockers, Edelbrock Victor 460 intake, Holly 4150 dp/ms, Erson JB100 (JB is there jetboat series) .545 lift intake and exaust 296' dur intake and 306 exaust, and I believe lobe sep is at 114 degrees. Im running Kieth Black Hypereutectic dish tops (cheap pistons but I had em), my rods have been polished and shot peened w/ ARP bolts and its balanced. I have log style manifolds and a tight jacuzzi pump (dont knw impellor size) and it turns 4800 rpm at 65 mph. Look at my post under Challenger History for more info on my boat. Good luck
Chris

jroos
09-08-2001, 09:19 PM
Fryzll must have gone to the "Going Out of Business Sale" at Super Shops. Erson cams are garbage. Unless you only expect to get about 2 years out of it. I didn`t know anyone would admit to using roller tip rockers anymore. You get 0 (zero) performance gain out of a standard roller tip rocker. I don`t even think anyone makes them anymore. The friction is so miniscule at the tip. All of the friction is in the fulcrum, hence the high yield of performance gained from a roller rocker. I used a roller drop in from Crane designed for the BB Ford. It uses the stock rocker. It`s not a true roller, but unquestionably better than stock and its cheap. Went with an RPM performer, Stealth would be a better choice. I am impressed fryzll with the rod work and a balancing job. Can`t ever over build your bottom end no matter if you are even using 2 different heads.

77charger
09-08-2001, 09:21 PM
I run the 429 in mine performer rpm but going to a victor jr. 11.5-1 comp dove heads.750 holley,560 lift cam going to go bigger,With this set up i'll turn an a impeller around 5k pump is in good shape.motor is apart right now should be done this month(re ringing)after a dropped valve.

jroos
09-08-2001, 09:37 PM
This is first BB Ford for me. Everyone says go with Dove heads. Thank goodness my motor had `em.

H8Monday
09-08-2001, 09:45 PM
Hey roos, you and alot of other people miss out on one of the benefits of roller tips on rocker arms.
Valve guide wear.
The rocker tips travels ACROSS the end of the valve stem, reducing friction at the tip of the valve stem, and along the length of the valve stem INSIDE the guide since it isn't being pushed against one side of the guide or the other.

fryzll
09-08-2001, 10:50 PM
ok jroos, before you start baggin on other peoples stuff, stop and think. if you are SOOO smart then how can you use crane drop in rollers on a D0VE head when they are for the later model positive stop heads, HMMMM, I have a set of those conversions laying around. I think you should probably build a couple Fords before you start baggin on other peoples goodies because its a whole different ballgame w/ a Ford. I had the majority of the parts lyin around because guess what, I have built quite a few 460's. As for the Performer manifold they do work good IN A TRUCK. And just to let you know, there was no power gains on those drop in rockers on the dyno, we put em on a 460 w/ a counter ground crank using 440 rods, yes Chrysler rods which came out to be around 498 ci. And there is no difference in the 2 heads (C9 and D0) , you just have too cc the combustion chamber. I know you meant well but dont talk like you know everything Mr. this is my first BB Ford. No harm done. Oppinions are like assholes, everybody has one http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif .
Chris
[This message has been edited by fryzll (edited September 08, 2001).]

jroos
09-08-2001, 10:53 PM
Guess i missed it. Along with all the manufacturers that quit making them and damn sure quit advertising them! But, if they work for you and you`re happy with them, then I feel that you got your moneys worth. Valve guide wear vs. what the damn roller tips were supposedly designed for and sold as (friction reducer/free hp) was a crock. They cost about the same as Crane`s low buck true rollers. And they even have the roller tip!

H8Monday
09-08-2001, 10:57 PM
Fryzall, I appreciate the detail in your response. Answers like yours are what I am looking for. I want to know what is working for everybody as far as cam choice, etc. then what RPM are they getting with what impeller.
Thanks, and keep-em-coming.

jroos
09-08-2001, 11:04 PM
Well Chris, guess your now it all asshole needs to contact Ford and tell them that they either stamped my DOVE heads on my DIVE block wrong or I have the only set of positive stop DOVE heads made and they must be worth a hell of a lot of cash. And another thing, if you know so damn much about BB Fords, then why come here to a boat site to ask dumb asses like myself for tech tips dip? On top of everything i was meerly putting my 2 cents in and putting a little spice in my post(humor). I never said that an Edelbrock RPM Performer was crap. Just that I feel that a Stealth would be better. Illiteracy can be fixed because remember, " A mind is a terrible thing to waste".

fryzll
09-09-2001, 12:16 AM
Well jroos, I am not a know it all, I might be wrong about the heads, i have never seen any D0VE heads w/ positive stop rockers and exaust restricters (ie humps) but if you have a set you win bud. And by the way, you must have a complex about being a asshole because I wasnt inferring that you were one, it was just a saying but if you didnt catch it I can understand http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif . But when you tell people they bought garbage (you said it) it kinda rubs them the wrong way.
Chris
P.S. Blink twice if you understand http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

jroos
09-09-2001, 08:00 AM
Only once. Don`t know where ya`ll get the other faces from. Ok, getting a little heated but fun for a bit. Never said bought garbage although it is basically the same thing as what I said. I`m meerly trying to tell someone who is building a motor what to do or stay away from. he asked for my opinion. And I do feel that Erson casts their cams out of the crappiest material. This is probably why they were so cheap. I run a Lunati and am very pleased with their Bracket Master II kits. Ultradyne and Engle are also exceptionally good cams. I only used to run Isky, but I personnally feel that their technology stopped somewhere in the late 80`s. Again, these are my opinions. Wow, and I did have emissions humps that I ground out. I didn`t even mention that till now, how`d you know?

jroos
09-09-2001, 08:08 AM
H8, Lunati has a cam for 460 ground especially for jet jobs. Go to Holley`s web site as they bought them out. Yor setup would work fantastic with this cam. But don`t take my word for it ask the techs and they will tell you. I too run the logs for interior but mostly `cause my friends and I like to drink Bud Light (in a bottle) and I can just picture my drunk ass getting in the boat from a hard crash and burn and my rib cage just sticking to a hot ass header! OOOOUUUUUCCCHHH, hate when that happens. A friend of mine ran Zoomies in a pickle fork with a Kieth Black motor and it was too damn loud. But the flames at night burning VP was so damn cool. Good luck with your rebuild and see Lunati, these "thumper" cams sound awsome.

Bubbledeck2
09-09-2001, 08:20 AM
I'm watching this thread closely. It'd be great if someone had some dyno numbers to throw up with their combo.
I'm looking to make some more horsepower over the winter too.
Tenative plans are some ported DOVE heads, cam (unknown brand), intake (most likely Weiand stealth) .. I'm open to all suggestions and opinions

jroos
09-09-2001, 08:58 AM
Hey Bubbledeck, what intake do you currently have and cfm? What exhaust? I personnally built my motor for what I feel a jet is, a lot of show and a little bit of go. I wanted it to be reliable and durable. Wanted the high motor look, as are plans for a tunnel ram with 2, 2" spacers for even more height. I went with a 4150 750 because I took it off a car I used to run that i flipped. In other words I already had it. 850 isthe optimum choice for me. As for a dyno, why would I want to spend the money on that when i know I`m not the fastest guy out there by far. I would recommend a Lunati because they sound so damn good at idle. The next time my heads come off, i`m gonna have some port work done as well.Not polish, just port. Then I`m gonna have the heads shaved for a little more ummp! I highly recommend this because for one jets run cool and for two these heads are steel.So they resist warping. Doesn`t cost much and as far as bang for your buck this is money well spent. It doesn`t sound as if you wanna spend an arm and a leg. If you did then go buy a crate, send it to a speed shop and have it blown and nitro injected. Taht`ll cost a couple of beans.

Bubbledeck2
09-09-2001, 09:34 AM
jroos right now my motor is all stock. I have an iron intake with a 650 holley and log exhausts. It has the low comp D3VE heads. It runs good and I probably should just leave it alone, but I want a little more power (don't we all?) The tall motors look great, but I don't want all the tuning and tweaking that goes with them, so I'm going to stay with a single 4bbl. You're right about the Lunati, I hear they are the masters of the rumpety idle. You're also right about me not wanting to spend a fortune on this project. I'm not going to sacrifice quality, but I will have to limit quantity of what I can do.
I'm hoping a decent cam, heads, and intake will get me into the 70s. I went to the lake yesterday with my new GPS and my fingers crossed. I made 2 passes .. 62.0 and 62.4
That is with a stock 460, reasonably fresh JC/A, no diverter, turning right at 4500rpm

jroos
09-09-2001, 09:52 AM
Bubbledeck, that`s what mine ran bone stock. `75,20', Southwind. JC-A, no diverter,650 Quadrabog. I don`t forsee any problem with the #`s you want with what you are going to do. With the exception of an 850 and the Lunati. They only make one for jets running a BB Ford. You will also need a place diverter. I`m buying one now. I`m also looking for a JG bowl to replace the JC. GS tells me not to run a Droop and Ron Sporal tells me to! Only one way to find out for sure! And I really want to run a ride plate.

TX19
09-09-2001, 05:03 PM
Hey folks - a lot of what you are asking for was posted on B'deck 2's question about BBF heads on his 9/3 post - especially the question about dyno numbers and head choices.

Hallett19
09-09-2001, 05:10 PM
shit, with what I have, I run 4500 rpms with an a impeler, and mine is pretty well tweaked over stock, damn, what is wrong with my shit ?

Bubbledeck2
09-09-2001, 05:25 PM
TX19 what I was hoping for when I asked for dyno numbers this time was that a few may have dynoed their BBF with different combos ie, cam "A", manifold "B", carb "C" .. that way I would have a better idea of which combo would work for me. Believe me, I read your other post :-) While we're discussing this, does anyone know if "Desk top Dyno" will give you many options as to what combos you can play with?

77charger
09-09-2001, 08:16 PM
I've got a performer rpm for sale.Going to a victor jr.

Squirtcha?
09-09-2001, 08:31 PM
H8Monday, here is a couple links to sites dedicated to Fords. They're a buncha car guys but are pretty knowledgable about Fords in general. They probably wouldn't be able to help with cam selection due to our requirements being somewhat different than theirs but I've found them to be helpful in several instances.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/boardpower/boardpower.cgi
http://www.p-c-net.net/~fordman/Tech-page/Tech-page.html

ponponracing
09-10-2001, 08:59 AM
Drew, from Drew Marine, Spokane, Washington, developed a very good Ford combination that was in the Hot Boat magazine last Winter. This guy knows what he talks about when he talks Ford.

mister460
09-10-2001, 10:21 AM
Just so you all know: All BB Ford heads (385 series, i.e. 370, 429, 460) came with air injection knobs in the exhaust. Whether or not they were actually drilled for use depends on application/year. C8, C9, D0 VE heads were all the same design, specs. Just different years. C8='68, C9='69 and so on. Chambers started changing sizes in '73, hence the D3 castings on the 460's. BB Fords appreciate a good port job paying specific attention to the exhaust. Ford actually DE-tuned the exhausts to make LESS power to keep insurance companies happy and transmissions alive. They also seem to not have a problem with lot's of lift. The flow charts on all the heads I've ported(BBF) don't level off. They just keep flowing!! Alot of heads quit anywhere between .500 and .600. If you're gonna run stock heads, don't bother with anything over .550 lift. Won't do much. If you have them ported, go crazy. Just remember, Fords have a VERY heavy valvetrain. Beef it up if you want to run some revs. We're talking guideplates, 3/8" pushrods, full roller(BTW, lot's of manufacturers make roller tip rockers, they do help in more ways than one) rockers, expensive valves(it's the only way to be sure!) and good springs. Bottom end? Have you seen a BBF main cap/crank/rods? Stud the mains, ARP the rods, balance and never look back! Well, sorry for being so long, just trying to help! Any more questions, just ask!

77charger
09-10-2001, 05:40 PM
Hey mister 460 are the dove castings equiped with adjustable valves,I do know they have screw in studs but heard they are not the adjustable type and if they are not what will i need hear that the bbc studs will work also.

mister460
09-10-2001, 06:45 PM
D0VEs are adjustable from the factory but they use a 3/8" nut. The 7/16" studs are the same from Ford to Chevy. You can even use most BB Chevy rocker arms. But there's really no difference in cost. Get some guideplates, new studs and some full roller rockers. You won't be dissapointed.

bajaruner
09-10-2001, 10:45 PM
Got to throw my two cents in here for what it's worth. While i'm not a ford guy(chevy guy) as far as knowledge is concerned. My experience with lunati cams is that there cams are hit and miss JUNK!, would not use it if you gave me one. If you want garanteed performance stay with engle cams, and you can't beat there customer service too.
Remember it's just two cents

FoMoCo
09-11-2001, 10:52 AM
I would have to say that Lunati Cams Suck also!!! i had one in my 289 that I had all sorts of weird problems with! Turns out it was miss ground, which caused me 6 months of pulling my hair out!!!!! I pulled that piece of shit out and put in a used SMALLER Erson cam I got from a friend, and Wow no more problems, it was faster, and still going on 5 years now!!! DONT BUY LUNATI!!!!! Anything but!

HavasuBarney
09-11-2001, 11:42 AM
I wanted to stay away......but
So here's the Ford 460 recipe!
Take that car motor ford and go plow the back 40, that will leave 4:20.
Everyone knows 4:20 is quitin time, so re-set your watch, grab your fishin pole, fire up your outboard and go.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

jroos
09-11-2001, 03:07 PM
For those who hate lunati, too bad. Engle and ultradyne are great cams also. Erson, I can tell you haven`t built jack shit and if you did then it was junk yard crap. And I already know you`re gonna write back and tell me of all the bad ass shit you and your ****in` buddies have built. I think before hand that you are full of shit! Erson sucks and any serious engine builder or someone willing to sacrifice quality for a quick," hey look what i`ve got, fix would not use them. And everyone I know who used a Lunati has had nothing but good things to say about them. maybe you installed the cam wrong or advanced your timing too damn much. A Lunati has four degrees advance ground in them. Go bullshit someone else bench racer! Read some more HotRod and CarCraft and tell me how much you know. Bench racers, damn.

77charger
09-11-2001, 04:46 PM
For those in oc try Babe Erson cams.The6y are not the super shop ones but custum built to match your combo.He is in fullerton near placentia and orangethorpe.Been running one of his cams since 95 and am very happy with it.Also told him it was for a boat and what i had at the time.In the process of rebuilding the motor now so will have the cam reginded for new set up.

fryzll
09-11-2001, 05:27 PM
jroos, that is some funny stuff http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif . I think your the one talkin like your the Mr. Know it all asshole http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif . There is a difference between me and you. I let people know what I have and my opinion (i dont push the product) and you give people your opinion and then bag on them if they dont like it. Why dont you just lighten up a little bit and go with the flow. If your the fast guy and like what you run then fine but dont push all your GARBAGE (your term) onto everyone and then get mad http://free.***boat.net/ubb/mad.gif when they dont like it and call em bench racers w/ junkyard motors. Some of your responses are pretty informative and then some just make me wonder why you have to be such a ass. I bet your the type of guy who throws wrenches all over the garage when something doesnt go your way and then gets even more pissed when you cant find them huh? Remember that this is just my opinion and you probably wont like it, oh well, I wont lose sleep over it http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif . I try to learn something from everyone but im having my doubts about you http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif . Now I can just sit here and wait for you to bag on me some more but dont worry, I get a big laugh out of it because I think your a pretty funny guy http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif .
Chris
P.S. I hope I put enough of those funny faces on here that you like so much http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

bajaruner
09-11-2001, 06:19 PM
Jroos think about it. Lunati has become a commercial based company owned and operated by Holley, I would not be to suprised if there cams are being ground in mexico or china. Now they may have some good grinds that work well for you but to relate to them as high quality custom ground cam company such as Engle, Ultradyne, Herbert or Racer Brown? HHMMMM? I think where talking about two different leagues here. Now all this started because FrysII posted his engine combo in responce to the original question which I must say does run hard WITH THE ERSON CAM!! which goes to show a really good engine builder can make a GOING OUT OF BUISNESS SALE, ERSON CAM RUNNIN ENGINE REALLY HAUL THE MAIL!!!!!!!!!!! He never recommend the Erson cam, so what do you say we keep the opinions friendly?
[This message has been edited by bajaruner (edited September 11, 2001).]

09-11-2001, 06:20 PM
Hey Jroos, Who died and made you queen? Your opinion is just like everyone else here...an opinion, nothing more. Nobody wants to listen to your abuse so lighten up or leave.

bajaruner
09-11-2001, 06:26 PM

H8Monday
09-11-2001, 07:31 PM
Can't we all just get along?
All I am interested in, is what combination of parts are working for you, and perhaps the level of performance that you are achieving. This idea of 'Brand Loyalty' is exactly what I am trying to cut through.
As Joe Friday put it: "Just the facts ma'am."
Then we can all draw our own conclusions.
Thanks for your reply's so far...Keep 'em coming.

ponponracing
09-11-2001, 08:16 PM
Think Pink! It's no big deal to upgrade a product by tring to destroy other brands reputation. No professional enterprise will do so, at least not in the area we are now. What worked for you can be a desaster for someone else. So lets stay positive!
Any good boating party pictures around?

jroos
09-12-2001, 02:44 PM
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif

jroos
09-12-2001, 02:45 PM
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif
:cool http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif

jroos
09-12-2001, 03:24 PM
058, spoken like a true man! FAG

fryzll
09-12-2001, 05:48 PM
jroos, now come on http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif . Dont let me down with a reply like that. I know you can give us a better toungue err.... finger lashing than that http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif . Ive gotta go read my new issue of Bench Racer Magazine now and order my Erson Cams sticker kit. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif .
Chris

09-12-2001, 09:26 PM
Jroos, Does it take one to know one? Then you must be an authority on the subject.

H8Monday
09-12-2001, 10:31 PM
What a joke! I inquire about a motor combination, from a group of 'experts', and all you guys can do is bitch and fight.
Do any of you slapnuts even own a boat?
At least now I know why the posts with the most hits are the ones about partys and beer drinking.

fryzll
09-12-2001, 10:55 PM
Hey H8, your right bud, sorry about this whole thing but hey, I guess we can all use a laugh right about now. I do have a boat (honest) but I think im gonna sell it so I can buy a bench and go racing http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif . Sorry, couldnt resist http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif
Chris
P.S. I havnt heard the word "SLAPNUT" in a long time, now thats funny http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

jroos
09-13-2001, 05:04 PM
I don`t own a boat `cause I subscribe to every car mag that there is. I also bought up all the Erson cams Super Shops had left. I always knew I`d find a use for them. I`m now melting them down to make one giant Erson cam as to insert into a Palestinian`s ass! Why because I am too a bench racing fag.

H8Monday
09-13-2001, 09:14 PM
over 45 replies and only THREE engine combinations listed.

ponponracing
09-14-2001, 03:37 AM
I repeat it, go in the past ***boat mag.issues and look for Drew Marine's combination. It works and it's a combination from an expert Ford engine builder.
It's pages long, I won't rewrite it fully. It's all made with Ford parts.

lakecrazy
09-14-2001, 07:04 AM
I'm running a 460 with D3VE-A2A heads, full dome TRW pistons (10.5 to 1) and CompCams 292 Magnum cam and related kit (244@.050 and 560 lift).
Milled the stock rocker pedestal bases on the heads and installed BBC studs and roller rockers.
Hp is about 465 and spins a "B" berkley impeller at 5500rpm@74mph in a 18'low profile hull.

mister460
09-14-2001, 12:09 PM
Hey H8Monday, do you have Dyno2000. I have some combos in Dyno2000 format that you would really be happy with. If not I'm just gonna post it here. This combo, or slight variations, has always been good to me. 850 Edelbrock Perf. Quadrajet, Weiand Stealth intake or single plane, Crower stainless full roller rockers, stainless(I use Manley but it really doesn't matter) valves, ported heads flowing 302cfm@.550 int. lift, ARP head studs, TRW forged slugs(whichever forged piston that will give you 10.5:1 comp), .554/.574 lift, 226deg@.050 dur(tailor to your rpm range), anit pump lifters, Compcams 3/8 pushrods/guideplates, double roller timing chain(or gears if you want real strength), Clevite 77 bearings, ARP main studs, everything balanced/blueprinted, ZERO deck height, Mallory Unilite distributor, Jacobs electronics or MSD or Mallory igniton(all are very good, I like Jacobs), and a Holley electric fuel pump to feed it all. I tried not to leave anything out but if I did, just ask. This combo, tuned correctly, ought to make over 600 hp. Oh yeah, and I painted it dark Ford blue! Can't forget that! Hope this helps.

RiverDave2
09-14-2001, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by H8Monday:
What a joke! I inquire about a motor combination, from a group of 'experts', and all you guys can do is bitch and fight.
Do any of you slapnuts even own a boat?
At least now I know why the posts with the most hits are the ones about partys and beer drinking.
H8Monday, Should've told people that you'll be partying and drinking beer while occasionally twisting a wrench on the ole Ford. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Probably would've had much more positive feedback. 90% of what I've posted has been about partying and I've never had anything but good response. (until I varied from that for a little bit, and met slowboat http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif) In any event, I would strongly recomend listening to PonPonRacing. He is wise, young grasshopper.
RD

FoMoCo
09-14-2001, 03:17 PM
http://www.fomocomotorsports.20m.com/cgi-bin/i/upboat16.jpg
DOVE Block.429 bored .040 over. TRW Fact. Cobra jet Pistons, around 10.8:1 Compression. C9VE Heads with 2.19(Manley Race Master) intake valves, 1.76 Exhaust valves. Bowl Ported and intake & exhaust ports were cleaned up as well. Comp Cams 280 Solid Roller with .634 lift and 236 dur@.050. 110 Lobe Sep. 1.73 Comp Stainless Rockers on the Intake side and 1.8 rockers on the exhaust side. ARP Main Studs, Cobra Jet Rods with ARP rod bolts, ARP head studs. Topped of with wieand Tunnel ram with 2 600 CFM Vac Sec Holley Carbs. MSD Pro billet Dist, with MSD Digital 6 plus box. Have not got it all tuned in yet but with just the primarys of the carbs and no place diverter it was gpsed at 74 mph!!

77charger
09-14-2001, 06:57 PM
Hey FoMoCo glad to see im not the only one running a 429.Whats your reason mine is the comp ratio and it loves to rev.Had the 460 but the 429 out does it.Mine is the 1970.working on another right nowbut going to a bigger cam was 224at50 540 and getting a victor jr and selling the performer rpm.

H8Monday
09-14-2001, 10:54 PM
Hey let me know how that Victor works out for you. I've used it on a 468 BBC in a Bracket Car, but I've never seen one in a boat OR on a Ford.

fryzll
09-14-2001, 11:47 PM
Hey H8, im happy with the Victor460 looks wise, BUT, the ports dont come close. The intake seals great so I dont think its the deck height or heads being milled, it might just be that its also made for the SCJ heads so they add more 'HERE' and take more 'THERE' but who knows. Im going to match them this off season when I powdercoat it. Im trying to find someone else who has a Eldebrock Victor460 or a Ford Motorsport Victor to see if they have the same prob. Hope that helps.
Chris

FoMoCo
09-15-2001, 01:19 AM
I like Big Bore short stroke motors, because they can servive at High rpms all day long! Since I could not afford Fancy H-beam rods and Scat crank I just build a 429 with Cobra-jet rods and ARP bolts and Main Studs, I figured if that didn't hold a 3.59 stoke on the bollte than I should not even own the damn boat!

jroos
09-15-2001, 05:25 AM
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Well i have a DIVE block! Funny how all the quote Ford guys know nothing about this.

77charger
09-15-2001, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by jroos:
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Well i have a DIVE block! Funny how all the quote Ford guys know nothing about this.
how about its a 1971 block.Hope your happy now.Thanks for the info FOMoCo thats pretty much the same for me too.