PDA

View Full Version : Bartending School???

NOTALENT
06-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Has anyone went to one? and what do they charge to attend?

Silver
06-05-2005, 09:50 PM
To focking much.............600 to 1000..............
Study up yourself or start bar backing and work on up!
Ask around? Where do ya live/like to party.

KACHINA KEN
06-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Put booze in glass, bada bing . you're a bartender. Talk to Clownpuncher, tell him you wanna intern.

RiverForUs
06-05-2005, 10:11 PM
High Roller went to one a while back!

clownpuncher
06-06-2005, 01:59 AM
Put booze in glass, bada bing . you're a bartender. Talk to Clownpuncher, tell him you wanna intern.
LOL, almost, but, no quite that easy. :D
My view of bartending school is a little biased. IMO, you're better off being a barback in a kick ass joint. Learn whatever you can and go from there.
In our place, we don't hire anyone that doesn't have a TON of experience. The one and only "bartender school" grad we hired couldn't handle the business. He got fired in two days. Learing the drinks does not make you a good bartender. You have to have a good personality, good pours, good money sense, and most of all you have to have the trust of the management. My suggestion would be to get a job in a busy place, as a bar back or busboy. Doesn't matter. Learn the trade and be a good businessman.
Good bartenders can easily make 150.00 to 300.00 a night in a so so place. Multiply thatby 4 or 5 nights a week and it aint a bad living. Just remember to save your cash :D .

NOTALENT
06-06-2005, 05:22 AM
To focking much.............600 to 1000..............
Study up yourself or start bar backing and work on up!
Ask around? Where do ya live/like to party.
Newport, LB (PIne St), OC, places like Malarkys, Tantation, Smooths, Dubblander, Sutra, Sharkys..etc.

NOTALENT
06-06-2005, 05:42 AM
My view of bartending school is a little biased. IMO, you're better off being a barback in a kick ass joint. Learn whatever you can and go from there.
In our place, we don't hire anyone that doesn't have a TON of experience. The one and only "bartender school" grad we hired couldn't handle the business. He got fired in two days. Learing the drinks does not make you a good bartender. You have to have a good personality, good pours, good money sense, and most of all you have to have the trust of the management. My suggestion would be to get a job in a busy place, as a bar back or busboy. Doesn't matter. Learn the trade and be a good businessman.
Good bartenders can easily make 150.00 to 300.00 a night in a so so place. Multiply thatby 4 or 5 nights a week and it aint a bad living. Just remember to save your cash :D .
Do you need to have a License do get hired on as a bartender?? I wanna start doing this as a night job. I have been studying up on the drinks and have been experimenting for quite some time. :D

Silver
06-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Depends on the city. Sounds like you have a couple of places scoped out! Good luck. You might want to try strip clubs too........work as a bouncer/ bar back and move up......................

NOTALENT
06-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Depends on the city. Sounds like you have a couple of places scoped out! Good luck. You might want to try strip clubs too........work as a bouncer/ bar back and move up......................
Yeah...a few..I know a few peeps I guess I will just have to see what they can do for me. thanks for the info.

alfonzo
06-06-2005, 12:27 PM
I went to the national bartenders school in 1993. It's a good base to learn from, but I think you could do the same as a barback,and get paid! I did meet my Girfriend of 8 years there, that was cool...at the time. My brother worked as a barback and started bartending about a month into it.

NOTALENT
06-06-2005, 12:50 PM
I went to the national bartenders school in 1993. It's a good base to learn from, but I think you could do the same as a barback,and get paid! I did meet my Girfriend of 8 years there, that was cool...at the time. My brother worked as a barback and started bartending about a month into it.
I think thats the route im going to have to go...I was actually looking at that same school...do u feel it did u any good??

Nord
06-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Most places if not all will not hire with just the school under your belt, you need to work your way up! My ex girlfriend pulls down over a grand a week and only works three days!!!!
The only thing that the school will get you is jobs for private parties which are nothing on a resume :frown:

alfonzo
06-06-2005, 12:58 PM
I think thats the route im going to have to go...I was actually looking at that same school...do u feel it did u any good??I never got a job out of it, I was trying to get out of the studio biz a the time and it seemed like a cool job, I'm still in the studio biz if that tell you anything. I thought it was for me but it wasn't. At the time I think it was 450.00$. and all i did was make drinks for my friends at parties..I think if your really into it get a job as a barback and really pay attention, you should be able,on a slow night, to make a drink or two, and before you know it you'll be in Vegas makin $$$$$$$$$$$. good luck

clownpuncher
06-06-2005, 01:03 PM
I've never heard of bartetnders needing a license to pour drinks in California. Like I said earlier, learning drink recipes doesn't make a good bartender. If you have no choice then I'd say go to the school. If you had a choice between being a barback at a busy store and learning on the job, I'd say do that instead.
As a bar owner I can honeslty say that I'd hire someone with one month of barback experience in a busy club over a recent bartender school grad. Besides, why would you pay all that money to learn something half assed. Why not be a barback and actually get paid to learn the business.

NOTALENT
06-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Yeah the price doubled..there looking for around 800.00 now..I thought u needed a certificate...but if not..im just going to put the word out and start hitting up spots..Extra cash, fun enviorment, chicks..mixing drink for all the HB cats at the lake...what more can u want..??? :D

alfonzo
06-06-2005, 01:08 PM
I've never heard of bartetnders needing a license to pour drinks in California. Like I said earlier, learning drink recipes doesn't make a good bartender. If you have no choice then I'd say go to the school. If you had a choice between being a barback at a busy store and learning on the job, I'd say do that instead.
As a bar owner I can honeslty say that I'd hire someone with one month of barback experience in a busy club over a recent bartender school grad. Besides, why would you pay all that money to learn something half assed. Why not be a barback and actually get paid to learn the business.
Exactly!

HCS
06-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I have a book that tells you how to make any drink under the sun.
I got it from a bartender. Who needs school. :rolleyes:

HM
06-06-2005, 01:16 PM
SDSU has (or had) a class through extended education. It was pretty cheap, but it was a while ago (1989). Might check Community Colleges or State Colleges.
I took it and they did more than teach you drinks...actually, they don't teach specific drinks as much as they teach you techniques.
The guy who taught our class was the bomb...he really focused on teaching everyone how to maximize tips. I started at a Red Lobster then graduated to Senior Frogs where I have a total memory loss for about 6 months. :D
The class I took was awesome and was 2 x's a week for a month. It was totally worth it for me as I had no prior experience and did not know anyone and had a job immediately. Pretty easy to kick ass as a bartender because so many of them suck - and I don't mean mixing drinks...I am talking about people skillz, 'cause that is where the tips come from.

Waldo
06-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Great advice. Back in the day I was a server and on my own time learned from the bartenders how to pour, bs, and listen to the drunks we were serving. Get a book and study the portions...not too hard IMO. IT'S EASY TO DO>>>JUST GET IN THE RIGHT PLACE!!!

socaldj1
06-06-2005, 02:26 PM
I spend my weekend nights DJing Rock n Bowl at a bowling ally. The bartender there makes $200-400 a night on the weekends. The owner pays them as Customer Service so they don't pay taxes on it. The last guy got the job with no training, according to him he just drank alot so he knew alot of drinks. There are alot of places to learn with out having the mad rush at a night club.

Silver
06-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Yeah the price doubled..there looking for around 800.00 now..I thought u needed a certificate...but if not..im just going to put the word out and start hitting up spots..Extra cash, fun enviorment, chicks..mixing drink for all the HB cats at the lake...what more can u want..??? :D
Go to ................... www.californiagirls1.com

HighRoller
06-06-2005, 05:37 PM
I did go to the school and was lucky to have a very good teacher. That being said, it didn't help me get a job AT ALL! Here's the two best ways to become a GOOD bartender.
1.) Be a barback in a high volume nightclub. Crappy bartenders don't get jobs in these places so you'll be learning from the best. Work your ass off, keep your bartender stocked, and don't be afraid to let him know you wanna learn how to be as good as him. Sooner or later when he's slammed he'll ask you to help someone. Then one night when someone calls in sick you'll get your chance.
2.) Get a job somewhere that has waitresses only and the bartenders work unseen at a service bar. This would happen at a concert hall or comedy club. Since you don't have to work face to face with the customers you won't be as nervous but you will be busy. Figure 300-350 people all ordering an average of 1.5 drinks each....ALL AT THE SAME TIME! So even if you have 4 bartenders you'll each be pouring 100-125 drinks in a very short time. Hopefully you'll be working with someone a little more experienced who will help you get on your feet. If you can handle extremely high volume, you'll always make a lot of money because in this business time is money.
As far as a "license", there isn't an official bartenders license but usually each county or municipality will have their own requirement for you to meet the requirements of the health department. Most likely you'll have to go take a 4 hour class and get a servers' card. Make sure you get your card BEFORE you apply somewhere, and get a card for food as well because many places might ask you to take food orders these days.
Other than that, just surf the net for "techniques" every bartender should know. (How to handle glassware etc...) Sooner or later if you're persistent enough you'll get behind the bar so you wanna be prepared. Good luck...