PDA

View Full Version : Registration

RitcheyRch
04-28-2006, 06:27 PM
I did a search and didnt find much. If I buy a used boat in AZ what needs to be done to register it in CA? Will I need to get new CF numbers for it or do I keep the existing AZ numbers?
Thanks in advance,
Rich

Boatcop
04-28-2006, 07:25 PM
You register the boat in the state it's used the most. (50%+) If you boat on the Colorado River most of the time you can keep the boat registered in AZ.
You'll keep the same AZ numbers.
If you register it in CA, you'll have to take the AZ numbers off put the assigned CF numbers on. The DMV will have the forms to change registration to CA.
The trailer will need to be registered in CA, unless you plan to NEVER bring it into CA.

RitcheyRch
04-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks. Kind of what I thought but wanted to make sure.
You register the boat in the state it's used the most. (50%+) If you boat on the Colorado River most of the time you can keep the boat registered in AZ.
You'll keep the same AZ numbers.
If you register it in CA, you'll have to take the AZ numbers off put the assigned CF numbers on. The DMV will have the forms to change registration to CA.
The trailer will need to be registered in CA, unless you plan to NEVER bring it into CA.

W.O.T
04-28-2006, 07:59 PM
i bought my last boat in nevada. had a hard time registering it in ca. nevada boat registration goes through the fish and wildlife dept not the dmv. they had a hard time contacting eachother. i had to make two trips to the dmv, but it all worked out and it did need different ca numbers and a ca license plate for the trailer

W.O.T
04-28-2006, 08:03 PM
i had to bring the trailer to the dmv to have the numbers verified that was the biggest pain. my dad bought a boat in arizona while back and had to bring the trailer in to the dmv also. but if its a sweet boat its worth the hassle.

RitcheyRch
04-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Hoping registering through the Auto Club will make it all easier than battling out the DMV.

cdog
04-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Keep the AZ reg. on the boat. Ca will make you pay sales tax. Az will not. Just reg. your trailer in CA. You reg. as a AZ non resident.

acatitude
04-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Keep the AZ reg. on the boat. Ca will make you pay sales tax. Az will not. Just reg. your trailer in CA. You reg. as a AZ non resident.
thats how mine is. boat az and trailer calif