PDA

View Full Version : Keep your fingers crossed!

Scream
06-07-2005, 09:20 AM
MLB Draft started a few minutes ago. My nephew is rated #187 as of last week and may go in the first round! :D
Brad Barragar, RHP Keep your fingers crossed for a West Coast team, I'd like to see a game or two.
Scream

bunny 166
06-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Matt, that's awesome!! Good luck and keep us posted.... :clover: :clover: Gotta know where to buy tickets....

Scream
06-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Thanks Bunny, we're supposed to be all working today, but we're spending most of our time online with ESPN! lol
Very exciting

JackieV
06-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Good Luck, Good Luck, Gooooooooood LUCK! :clover: :clover:

Mrs.Racer277
06-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Good Luck. Fingers Crossed. :clover: :clover:

JetBoatRich
06-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Good luck to your nephew Matt :cool:

Scream
06-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Well first round is over and he's not in yet, so we'll see...I'll keep you updated on who he signs with... Still very exciting.
Scream <--proud Uncle

My Man's Sportin' Wood
06-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Very cool. Keep us posted.

Biglue
06-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Thumbs up to your newphew. Hope he gets in.

Scream
06-07-2005, 09:56 AM
I would think there would have to be a lot of signability issues for a #187 prospect to go in the first round. Wasn't he at CS Northridge?
FYI, the Uptons are now the highest drafted family members in the history of baseball.
Ya, he was at Northridge, had to undergo Tommy Johns Surgery and is recovering at Golden West College. He got calls from about a 1/2 dozen GM's this week alone, all telling him he should expect to go high, since his Fastball is consistantly in the mid 90's and he's got a good off speed to back it up.
He was going to go in the draft last year but asked to be left alone to finish his ride a Northridge. Things change, and with an elbow already on the mend he's thinking he wants a degree first to fall back on...good kid actually.

Scream
06-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Well, got picked up by the Texas Rangers, 8th Round, 249th pick. Way too much to know about this draft thing lemme tell ya. It can get pretty confusing. My sister is not too happy about Texas, she thinks she'll never see him again... :cry: :cry:
Scream

dicudmore
06-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Well, got picked up by the Texas Rangers, 8th Round, 249th pick. Way too much to know about this draft thing lemme tell ya. It can get pretty confusing. My sister is not too happy about Texas, she thinks she'll never see him again... :cry: :cry:
Scream
is she not familiar with "the farm system" and travel?

Scream
06-07-2005, 01:48 PM
You kiddin, to get a kid this far in any sport the whole family has to live, breath, eat, sleep, and bleed the sport. She knows, Texas has a single A in Bakersfield, and that's the closest. They're not in our league for our local farm clubs. The GM wanted to take him to thier therapist right away for rehab on his elbow from the surgery...Maybe if they offer him big $$$ for a signing bonus...
Scream

Havasu_Dreamin
06-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Maybe if they offer him big $$$ for a signing bonus...
Scream
Congrats on him getting drafted, but big money aint coming for a 8th round pick. But, hopefully he can stick with it and make it to the show.

Scream
06-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Congrats on him getting drafted, but big money aint coming for a 8th round pick. But, hopefully he can stick with it and make it to the show.
See that's what I thought, but the order of the pick doesn't have that much to do with it. (He's getting a lot of good info from various reliable sources) They are aware that it's gonna take a hefty bonus to get him to sign this year, he's only pitched 13 innings in 3 years. But Texas is one of the most "generous" teams from what he's heard.

AirtimeLavey
06-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Very cool...Congrats!!! Hope it works out well for him, however it shakes out.

Scream
06-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks,, Hey btw, good to see you, your wife and your friends last weekend. We had a great time and I got burnt to a crisp. My daughter used that new spray on sunscreen on me and it sux big time.
Scream

AirtimeLavey
06-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks,, Hey btw, good to see you, your wife and your friends last weekend. We had a great time and I got burnt to a crisp. My daughter used that new spray on sunscreen on me and it sux big time.
Scream
Lol....thanks for the d.l. on the spray on crap. My kids were telling about that shiat last w/e. At this point, I'm pretty much a test bed for skin issues from outdoor fun. At some point I'll figure it out.
Nice seeing you guys, too. Fun day. Woulda liked to have spent more time gettin to know you guys, but I'm sure we'll meet up again. Very cool of you guys to tow that guy into Cottonwood. Glad the wind wasn't up...it'd a been hectic. Been there, done that....out there.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Here are the bonuses that were handed out in the 2004 8th round MLB draft (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/xrnd.php?rnd=8) that may serve as a guideline. It also might be worthless information, but thought you might like to see it just go get an idea. You're right, the payouts seem to vary wildly in who got what.

Scream
06-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Nice seeing you guys, too. Fun day. Woulda liked to have spent more time gettin to know you guys, but I'm sure we'll meet up again. Very cool of you guys to tow that guy into Cottonwood. Glad the wind wasn't up...it'd a been hectic. Been there, done that....out there.
Ya, next time we'll have to hang. That guy was a friend of mine, second time in that Laser (lazer?), nice boat. Ran out of Gas, wasn't used to the inaccurate gas guage. lol, told him his new screen name should be "sittin on E". lol.
Scream

dicudmore
06-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Ya, next time we'll have to hang. That guy was a friend of mine, second time in that Laser (lazer?), nice boat. Ran out of Gas, wasn't used to the inaccurate gas guage. lol, told him his new screen name should be "sittin on E". lol.
Scream
I wondered why they stopped...
I saw him slow down, went to turn around and saw that you had turned around, glad you got it covered...

Scream
06-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Here are the bonuses that were handed out in the 2004 8th round MLB draft (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/xrnd.php?rnd=8) that may serve as a guideline. It also might be worthless information, but thought you might like to see it just go get an idea. You're right, the payouts seem to vary wildly in who got what.
I don't quite understand what exactly happens. I've been trying to read up on it, but basically if you're drafted, you can sign if you want, but you don't have to. The team that drafts you has the rights to your contract up until the week before the next draft. If no teams pick you in 50 rounds (not likely, but who knows) you are then a free agent. You're not allowed an agent until you are a free agent, but that doesn't mean that you can't have advisors. Advisors are wanna be agents and they don't get any part of your salary or bonus until you become a free agent, and then they get thier negtiated percentage. Until then he can call the guy up and get his car washed if he wants, they'll jump right on it...kinda like Jerry McGuire. lol The advisor told him to think about any offer very carfully and set his limits as far as money is concerned.
We'll see.
Scream

Scream
06-07-2005, 03:13 PM
I wondered why they stopped...
I saw him slow down, went to turn around and saw that you had turned around, glad you got it covered...
Ya, that was pretty funny. Happens to everyone at one time or another...

essexjet
06-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Congrats Scream on your nephew getting picked. Even it is the 8th round, he is now in the MLB union and the minimun salary is around $300K a year(once in the big leagues). Anyhow lets face it, his job is playing baseball. Being able to do something you love and done for free for years and now getting paid, cant beat that.
Congrats and when he plays against Anaheim, I think we need a HB feild trip

Wonderboy
06-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Congrats Scream on your nephew getting picked. Even it is the 8th round, he is now in the MLB union and the minimun salary is around $300K a year(once in the big leagues). Anyhow lets face it, his job is playing baseball. Being able to do something you love and done for free for years and now getting paid, cant beat that.
Congrats and when he plays against Anaheim, I think we need a HB feild trip
Well said, baseball pro. You should be a manager!!http://dieselplace.com/forum/images/smilies/flipa.gif

riverroyal
06-07-2005, 04:28 PM
hank blalock bought my old house down the street last year,lives there in the off season,nice guy,paid over asking price,let me rent it until new house was done,,,congrads on the drafting!

essexjet
06-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Well said, baseball pro. You should be a manager!!http://dieselplace.com/forum/images/smilies/flipa.gif
I have a friend that was a pitch for KC Royals, so F you and get a job bitch :yuk:

Wonderboy
06-07-2005, 04:32 PM
I have a friend that was a pitch for KC Royals, so F you and get a job bitch :yuk:
Yeah. Anyone here need an employee? I need to help with the new boat payments.http://dieselplace.com/forum/images/smilies/help2.gif

Debbolas
06-07-2005, 04:34 PM
uh, are you guys serious? :eek:
This is a really happy time for us :hammer2:
(we haven't had many of those lately) :wink:

riverroyal
06-07-2005, 04:38 PM
i think its great,blalock is my only impression of the rangers,im a fan now

TOBTEK
06-07-2005, 04:41 PM
i think its great,blalock is my only impression of the rangers,im a fan now
ITS ALLWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY WITH YOU........GOSHHHHHHHHH! :D

riverroyal
06-07-2005, 04:42 PM
who ordered a new DCB?,,

JB in so cal
06-07-2005, 04:43 PM
who ordered a new DCB?,,
Wow. Look at all those beans from that can that spilled over there :sqeyes:

JB in so cal
06-07-2005, 04:45 PM
ITS ALLWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY WITH YOU........GOSHHHHHHHHH! :D
Toby. Mr RiverRoyal over there made believers last weekend - you mystery juice is awesome. It smells pretty, too.
Man. I can't believe those rumors about you and a new DCB...

riverroyal
06-07-2005, 04:45 PM
how many jellybeans fit in a 55 gallon drum?,,my 2 pinto beans just rolled outta my soup can

JB in so cal
06-07-2005, 04:47 PM
how many jellybeans fit in a 55 gallon drum?,,my 2 pinto beans just rolled outta my soup can
...a little early for another 100mg. isn't it?

riverroyal
06-07-2005, 04:48 PM
noon right?

JB in so cal
06-07-2005, 04:50 PM
noon right?
Is this your play time? Shhhsssssssss. I think Nurse Ratchet's coming.

riverroyal
06-07-2005, 04:52 PM
sorry deb,,,,,good news is Im on vacation for one more month!

JetBoatRich
06-07-2005, 07:00 PM
That is pretty cool :D he will start getting paid for playing a game he loves :D
The farm system may not pay well, but as long as he keeps playing hard, who knows can be called up anytime :jawdrop: