PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Help (Surge Brake Circus)!!

Lake Ape
06-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Hey All,
I just bought a new tournament ski boat today and the trailer is a dual axle zieman with disc surge brakes. The trailer has a flat five pin electrical connecter, the connecter on my truck is a standard four pin, the problem is that the boat is in the driveway and I can't back up! What pin do I need to supply juice to so the surge breaks don't engage? I just want to rig it so I can get it turned around and parked.
Thanks,
The Circus! Lake Ape!

RexRathburn
06-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Hey All,
I just bought a new tournament ski boat today and the trailer is a dual axle zieman with disc surge brakes. The trailer has a flat five pin electrical connecter, the connecter on my truck is a standard four pin, the problem is that the boat is in the driveway and I can't back up! What pin do I need to supply juice to so the surge breaks don't engage? I just want to rig it so I can get it turned around and parked.
Thanks,
The Circus! Lake Ape!
The Extreme trailer that I had used the backup lights for the 5th pin...I'm pretty sure that's standard.

Lake Ape
06-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Are the backup lights the one I need to supply juice to so the surge brakes stay off, in other words, the fifth pin?

Outnumbered
06-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Hey All,
Thanks,
The Circus! Lake Ape!
You need a round-7 into flat-5 converter from Jetconnex (sp) or U-haul, Autozone, etc. The 5th pin is wired to the back-up lights and triggers a lock-out for the surge brakes so they don't lock up in reverse. If your truck does not have a round-7 then you will prolly have to make your own harness out of a flat-5 pig-tail that you can buy at U-haul or maybe Autozone.
Also, there is a manual lock-out pin that the guy should have gave you with the trailer that you can use in a pinch.

Biglue
06-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Are the backup lights the one I need to supply juice to so the surge brakes stay off, in other words, the fifth pin?
Yes. That's wher eyou get the juice from. I had the same issue when I brought my new boat home also.

dicudmore
06-07-2005, 02:58 PM
what they said...
its the reverse light circuit

xs ultra
06-07-2005, 03:08 PM
If you have surge brakes the electric has nothing to do with backing up.
If your trailer is locking up when you back up you need to lock out the brake assy. with a lock out cam /pin. Also your brake may be adjusted to tight. I have never used my lock before but I have one that came with the trailer.

Waldo
06-07-2005, 03:15 PM
If your trailer is locking up when you back up you need to lock out the brake assy. with a lock out cam /pin. Also your brake may be adjusted to tight. I have never used my lock before but I have one that came with the trailer.
Ya, what he said.
If it's new, it's probably not surge...surge brakes are triggered by how hard you break...there is a sensor in the tongue that initiates/regulates how hard the trailer breaks.
Get a new 7-5, or whatever, adapter as mentioned above.

Biglue
06-07-2005, 03:16 PM
The juice from the reverse light deactivates a solenoid so the surge brakes don't apply hydraulic pressure to the rotors or drums. It has everything to do with surge breaks.

Biglue
06-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Ya, what he said.
If it's new, it's probably not surge...surge brakes are triggered by how hard you break...there is a sensor in the tongue that initiates/regulates how hard the trailer breaks.
Get a new 7-5, or whatever, adapter as mentioned above.
He has a simple 4 pin connector.

Waldo
06-07-2005, 03:25 PM
He has a simple 4 pin connector.
Ooops!
Regardless of my number mistake...His 5th pin on the trailer is most likely for the braking system (a trailer with surge brakes would only have a flat 4 in my experience).
He needs to get an adapter, or rewire one on his truck, to acknowledge the "blue wire/brakes" (5th Pin) that actuates the electric reverse solenoid on the trailer. Otherwise it will not disengage.

Biglue
06-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Ooops!
Regardless of my number mistake...His 5th pin on the trailer is most likely for the braking system (a trailer with surge brakes would only have a flat 4 in my experience).
He needs to get an adapter, or rewire one on his truck, to acknowledge the "blue wire/brakes" (5th Pin) that actuates the electric reverse solenoid on the trailer. Otherwise it will not disengage.
I think you are right about the blue wire.

Waldo
06-07-2005, 03:29 PM
I think this might help...It says to splice the blue wire into your reverse light wire.
4 Pole to 5 Pole Adapter (http://www.etrailer.com/z-20036.aspx)
http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/dt/t1/20036.jpg

Outnumbered
06-07-2005, 03:40 PM
You are wrong, call Tony at Extreme to verify. The 5th pin is a reverse lock out that keeps the surge brake from pushing on the ball when you back up. It does the same thing the lock-out pin does automatically. The 5th pin is not electric brakes.
Tony at Extreme:
951-682-5522

Waldo
06-07-2005, 03:43 PM
The 5th pin is wired to the back-up lights and triggers a lock-out for the surge brakes so they don't lock up in reverse. If your truck does not have a round-7 then you will prolly have to make your own harness out of a flat-5 pig-tail that you can buy at U-haul or maybe Autozone.
My above post will work according to your previous post about the 5th Pin in question. It does exactly what you mention surge or elec.

laveydayz
06-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Just experienced your problem this weekend. Have a new Lavey with a Zieman and I only had my four pin with me. Went to back into the storage and brakes locked instantly. My brother arrived shortly with a five pin and it worked flawlesly. The fifth pin activates with your reverse lights and disengages the surge brake.

riverroyal
06-07-2005, 04:00 PM
just tie in to your reverse lights,find the wire,splice it in,the get then correct end for the truck,if your really stuck,you can take the wire from trailer and the reverse wire and just twist them together for now,then you will need a new connector on the trailer also.

Biglue
06-07-2005, 04:01 PM
just tie in to your reverse lights,find the wire,splice it in,the get then correct end for the truck,if your really stuck,you can take the wire from trailer and the reverse wire and just twist them together for now,then you will need a new connector on the trailer also.
If at all possible unhitch and push the trailer.

Lake Ape
06-07-2005, 04:05 PM
I think this might help...It says to splice the blue wire into your reverse light wire.
4 Pole to 5 Pole Adapter (http://www.etrailer.com/z-20036.aspx)
http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/dt/t1/20036.jpg
Thanks All!
I will try to get it to work when I get back home, I had to walk the 2.5 blocks to work, waaaaa, waaa!

rvrpig
06-07-2005, 04:06 PM
my buddy has a ski boat. And on his trailer, right side, by the hitch there is a pin/plate to block the surge bolt from moving back wards. That will inlock his surge brakes to back the trailer. No need to mess with the wiring

Lake Ape
06-07-2005, 04:08 PM
my buddy has a ski boat. And on his trailer, right side, by the hitch there is a pin/plate to block the surge bolt from moving back wards. That will inlock his surge brakes to back the trailer. No need to mess with the wiring
I tried the pin but it's really short and only one side is still on the trailer, it looks like the little pin for the other side of the hitch is missing. I can back it up a little further but it still engages with the one pin.

Jordy
06-07-2005, 04:08 PM
But if you can just do it with the wiring and never have to worry about getting out and blocking off the brakes when you want to back up, doesn't that make a little more sense? :D :D :D

rvrpig
06-07-2005, 04:11 PM
But if you can just do it with the wiring and never have to worry about getting out and blocking off the brakes when you want to back up, doesn't that make a little more sense? :D :D :D
His has nothing to do with the wiring....it is a parking mechanizm. It loks the trailor brakes so when he parks and the trailor comes loose it will not move. Plus if he wants to move it today...he doesnt have to spend all day messing with the wiring for a 5 min move.

riverroyal
06-07-2005, 04:11 PM
wheres the titties?

riverroyal
06-07-2005, 04:14 PM
ha,goes nice with beer ya know