PDA

View Full Version : Some intresting Facts and Ideas

cdog
06-08-2005, 09:54 AM
After the post yesterday about GM and their business practices and someone getting all pissed at me for saying that Jap cars are shit box's, I started thinking about all the history involved in some of what my grandfather has told me about his experiances in WW2 and what i've read and seen on the history channel. It's both intresting and sad how we've been a sleep at the wheel just like at Pearl Harbor. My grandfather used to shoot down Mitsubishi Zero's and bombers and Kawasaki Dragon Slayers with suiside kamakaisi piliots aimed at our grandfathers of today but war heros of yesterday.
Now days we ride kawasaki dirtbikes and watch our big screen Mitsubishi TV's.
Back then (WW2) the Prime minister of Japan was Kantaro Suzuki..and Masaki Honda was a Lieutenant in the Jap army......
We drive our hondas (intresting how honda now has a mini SUV called the Piliot) and we drive our suzuki cars and dirt bikes.
I guess growing up close to my grandfather who fought bravely in WW2, i've gained a sence of american pride that to some people don't have or understand. I do try to buy as much american products as I can find and would recomend everyone to do the same. If our american icon companys keep up this their out sourcing and cuts we americans must stand up and demand better or be prepared to be taken over. It's intresting how Osamas terrorists used the same tactic to blow down the WTC as the Japs used to take down our pacific fleet at Pearl Harbor almost 60 years later. Have we forgot all about this? I feel that the more this World Economy takes a foot hold in our country our quality of life and place as #1 will decline. That's why i'll always try to do my part and buy american.
So here's something to think about................
Will we some day see the Osama bin ladin mini SUV? Or the Hussain Big screen TV. Or how about the Al Ziquari chainsaw and 4 wheeler?
Rant Over.

Jordy
06-08-2005, 09:55 AM
On an unrelated note, you also might consider changing your screen name and avatar seeing how there is a dog molester among us. ;)

cdog
06-08-2005, 09:57 AM
On an unrelated note, you also might consider changing your screen name and avatar seeing how there is a dog molester among us. ;)
She likes Peanut Butter.... :devil:

Jordy
06-08-2005, 09:58 AM
She likes Peanut Butter.... :devil:
Oh, it's a she? I think you're alright then because he seems to prefer male dogs. ;)

HM
06-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Yah, he could change it to Cdog...RUN!!!!

Sherpa
06-08-2005, 10:03 AM
I consider myself about as redneck as one can be, without the doublewide.
so, with that in mind, I have never purchased a (new) JAP car myself. I sort
of have a stigma about that... I have bought used, but then it was already
here, so why not........ double-standard-? I dunno........
I try to buy american whenever possible...... The one thing that does stand
out though, and like I compared in the other post, is american cars simply
are not as reliable as jap cars......... even european cars aren't as good.
--Sherpa

99 232 baja
06-08-2005, 10:04 AM
very well put!!! WHEN WILL THESE PEOPLE WAKE UP? Probably not until they are eating their cars. You know CDOG that I am an AMERICAN AUTOWORKER ,I too try to buy AMERICAN when possible. Do these people think that the money they spend on these FOREIGN cars gets put back into their communities? Going back in history,after WWII we rebuilt Japan with new factories,while We had old and outdated factories. In some ways we shot our selves in the foot for that.

totenhosen
06-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Last I looked we were in a world economy. Doesn't Ford own some "Euro & Asian brands" (Saab, Mazda, Jaguar, Volvo etc), aren't some Ford parts made outside of the US, or some of their cars assembled outside of the US?
Aren't some of these asian and German companies opening up factories in the US while our "US" companies are closing down factories.
Where do you draw the line on what is and isn't an American product?

cdog
06-08-2005, 10:16 AM
You could always pick up a weapon and defend your country in it's military, that's what a lot of us did.
I'd rather inspire people......Besides I see what the military did to you. :D J/K

roostwear
06-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Remember when Walmart proudly displayed the "Made in America" label in their ads, and only bought offshore if there was no domestic alternative? Wall Street pressure killed that idealism........

cdog
06-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Remember when Walmart proudly displayed the "Made in America" label in their ads, and only bought offshore if there was no domestic alternative? Wall Street pressure killed that idealism........
I don't shop at wallfart anymore....

cdog
06-08-2005, 10:33 AM
You could always pick up a weapon and defend your country in it's military, that's what a lot of us did.
In fact I used to have a summer job as a lifegaurd at Mach Airforce Base in riverside.. I had a civilian Id and watched over all the little millitary brats.
I did have to save only one person in the 3 years I had that job and he was a big 6'2 black marine who thought he was tough shit. He jumped in the pool and got a leg cram in the deep end and screamed like a bitch. I saved him. Actually I had to sock him in the face to calm him down but I saved his cocky ass. I did my little part. Most people in the military have'nt had the opprotunity to save someones life. While I am proud of what they do, I know that it's not for me.

Ultrafied
06-08-2005, 10:46 AM
WOW .... as someone who has done it himself as well, Bob, I really don't wish that on anybody unless they have to. Especially to prove an economical point!

ptboat
06-08-2005, 12:19 PM
cdog,
It is just that the rich American boys pack up their business and move it out of the country so they could make more money for their bitches. They left poor American like us here to take care of ourself while they are out having fun with all the young bitch. So, you might be screaming at the wrong group of people there little buddy.

Seadog
06-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Its hard to blame Wal-Mart when one-by-one, their suppliers switched to cheap asian made items. When I bought my Zenith TV about twenty years ago, they were the only electronics manufacturer left in the U.S. None now. Clothing has pretty much moved overseas. If Wal-Mart had kept with that goal, they would have very little to sell.

unleashed
06-08-2005, 01:11 PM
This is America and its all about the bottom line. If you are a company doing business in order to survive you have to be able to compete...this includes sometimes shutting Mfg. down here and going elsewhere for cheap labor. Our great country is the machine that keeps the world economy going and vice versa. We are still the world leader and I dont see it changing anytime soon. As far as buying Japenese or German products I dont see any problem in it. World War 2 is a thing of the past that I will not forget but it did make the world a better place and made old enemies become friends...I dont see any problem with that. Oh yeah and the word Jap is demeaning I dont care how common it was in World War 2.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Dave C
06-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Both Ford and GM sell the shiat out of their products overseas but we still do have a trade deficit. But the trade deficit is mostly with China.
America will still have a comparative advantage in some things, just not in cheap labor intensive manufacturing.
BTW if you thinks it bad now, I would be afraid of the WTO. They have the power to force us to lower our tariffs or face fines. So if china wants to dump their cheap crap here unfairly, we have no recourse.
I mostly buy American cars but I hate to say it the Jap cars are better.
Speaking of history, it was our fault for rebuilding Japan's econcomy after the WWII to a point that their heavy industry, at least steel, was better and more modern than ours by the 1950's and 1960's.

mickeyfinn
06-08-2005, 02:42 PM
China may be the biggest deficit but looks like we don't export more than we import from but two places singapore and the netherlands
http://www.marktaw.com/culture_and_media/TheUSTradeDeficitImages/TopTradingPartners-ExportsImports.gif

Dave C
06-08-2005, 03:42 PM
but look at the absolute #'s
China ... say its $125 billion.
Thats more than #2 Japan and #3 Canada COMBINED (and maybe even COMBINED with #4 hecho in mexico).
also note that chart is for goods only. I wonder what it would be with services included, considering services make up a large % of our economy.

Dribble
06-08-2005, 04:00 PM
The one thing that does stand
out though, and like I compared in the other post, is american cars simply
are not as reliable as jap cars......... even european cars aren't as good.
--Sherpa
Yeah right, except that Toyota can't build a pickup that doesn't blow headgaskets. The transmission in my dads Avalon shit after 7,000 miles. The trans in his Mazda 929 went out at 60,000. THe IAC motor was $795.00 when it took a crap. One for a Chevy is about $75.00. Nissan and Honda won't cover a repair that's 100 miles out of warranty. GM covered a manifold gasket on my pickup a year and a half and 15,000 miles past the warranty. Mitsubishi builds one fine TV and one pile of crap of a car. I wouldn't let Cdog's dog ride in one of those buckets. And how about that plastic and vinyl in a Nissan. Lasts about five minutes in the sun before it cracks.
Oh and when is the last time you saw a 30' boat being towed by a Toyota Tacoma.

cdog
06-08-2005, 04:44 PM
This is America and its all about the bottom line. If you are a company doing business in order to survive you have to be able to compete...this includes sometimes shutting Mfg. down here and going elsewhere for cheap labor. Our great country is the machine that keeps the world economy going and vice versa. We are still the world leader and I dont see it changing anytime soon. As far as buying Japenese or German products I dont see any problem in it. World War 2 is a thing of the past that I will not forget but it did make the world a better place and made old enemies become friends...I dont see any problem with that. Oh yeah and the word Jap is demeaning I dont care how common it was in World War 2.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:
I see the whole statement went way over your head. Theres nothing wrong with saying Jap Mr. PC. The problem from outsourcing will eventually create a bigger problem. That will be depending on someone else and when they get high and mighty, they will demand more, meanwhile everyone else here has moved on. Secondly, if toyota is building plants here to MAKE PROFITS , why can't GM and Ford do the same? Do you think they might have an unfair advantage there? A well oiled economy must have a position for everyone. From the CEO to the guy who cleans the floors. Not everyone can be a mortgage broker, paper pusher or salesman. Keep in mind that there is politics behind everything you purchase.

cdog
06-08-2005, 04:49 PM
cdog,
It is just that the rich American boys pack up their business and move it out of the country so they could make more money for their bitches. They left poor American like us here to take care of ourself while they are out having fun with all the young bitch. So, you might be screaming at the wrong group of people there little buddy.
??????????What......The guys with 100k boats or 50k trucks......The rich get rich because they know how to get you and 100 million people to buy something without caring where it comes from and who profits from it. It's called purchaing power.

HighRoller
06-08-2005, 06:24 PM
You can stand proud and say you'll only buy American, but think about it. How does blind loyalty help IMPROVE American products? Only competition, and more specifically getting beat by your competition, will make you improve. No, we should not have a trade deficit with anyone but that's a governmental affair. I admire your idealism, but we're talking about money and business. In business, the consumer doesn't speak with his mouth. He speaks with his feet and his wallet. If he likes a product or business, he opens his wallet. If he doesn't, he walks out. So when did America become afraid to compete?
The statement about Pearl Harbor being parallel to 9/11 was also very misguided, IMO. The Japanese did not begin using Kamikaze tactics until later in the Pacific campaign when they became desperate. They did strike a blow against the Pacific fleet, but what happened next? We rose to the occasion, often performing amazing feats (The Yorktown repair) to overcome that blow and defeat Japan decisively. America sometimes is at its best when faced with adversity. Sadly, I miss the post 9/11 days when everyone felt patriotic because their lifestyle had been jeopardized. Now, it's back to blissful ignorance until the next 9/11, Pearl Harbor or whatever.
Everything is cyclical. GM might fall, and another young, aggressive company will take the bit in its teeth and become the leader in Domestic automotive manufacturing. 15 years ago Chrysler was a joke. Now look at them. Nothing is forever. One day Wal-Mart will go the way of K-Mart because they'll get complacent and someone will find a way to do it better, faster and cheaper. The Communists might get overthrown in China and cheap labor will disappear from the face of the country.
We are getting beaten as a country because we've lost the pride that used to come with being the greatest country in the history of civilization. Once we regain that, we'll kick everyone's asses in every way. (Again)

totenhosen
06-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah right, except that Toyota can't build a pickup that doesn't blow headgaskets. The transmission in my dads Avalon shit after 7,000 miles. The trans in his Mazda 929 went out at 60,000. THe IAC motor was $795.00 when it took a crap. One for a Chevy is about $75.00. Nissan and Honda won't cover a repair that's 100 miles out of warranty. GM covered a manifold gasket on my pickup a year and a half and 15,000 miles past the warranty. Mitsubishi builds one fine TV and one pile of crap of a car. I wouldn't let Cdog's dog ride in one of those buckets. And how about that plastic and vinyl in a Nissan. Lasts about five minutes in the sun before it cracks.
Oh and when is the last time you saw a 30' boat being towed by a Toyota Tacoma.
Aren't those Avalons built here in America? Isn't that mazda actually a Ford??? Again in the current global economy that we are in what is and isn't an American product?

ptboat
06-09-2005, 05:14 AM
What would scare me though ? China would build a boat just like Ultra or Shockwave for a lot less. But what are they going to name it ? Any Idea ? :D
Alex.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
06-09-2005, 06:01 AM
You can stand proud and say you'll only buy American, but think about it. How does blind loyalty help IMPROVE American products? Only competition, and more specifically getting beat by your competition, will make you improve. No, we should not have a trade deficit with anyone but that's a governmental affair. I admire your idealism, but we're talking about money and business. In business, the consumer doesn't speak with his mouth. He speaks with his feet and his wallet. If he likes a product or business, he opens his wallet. If he doesn't, he walks out. So when did America become afraid to compete?
The statement about Pearl Harbor being parallel to 9/11 was also very misguided, IMO. The Japanese did not begin using Kamikaze tactics until later in the Pacific campaign when they became desperate. They did strike a blow against the Pacific fleet, but what happened next? We rose to the occasion, often performing amazing feats (The Yorktown repair) to overcome that blow and defeat Japan decisively. America sometimes is at its best when faced with adversity. Sadly, I miss the post 9/11 days when everyone felt patriotic because their lifestyle had been jeopardized. Now, it's back to blissful ignorance until the next 9/11, Pearl Harbor or whatever.
Everything is cyclical. GM might fall, and another young, aggressive company will take the bit in its teeth and become the leader in Domestic automotive manufacturing. 15 years ago Chrysler was a joke. Now look at them. Nothing is forever. One day Wal-Mart will go the way of K-Mart because they'll get complacent and someone will find a way to do it better, faster and cheaper. The Communists might get overthrown in China and cheap labor will disappear from the face of the country.
We are getting beaten as a country because we've lost the pride that used to come with being the greatest country in the history of civilization. Once we regain that, we'll kick everyone's asses in every way. (Again)
I think I need to see a doctor. I'm agreeing with highroller :idea:
I only buy American made cars that were actually made here, not in Mexico or Canada, and I try to buy American, but it's hard when it comes to clothes. I just do the best I can do.
Oh, my boat was made in America too. Irwindale, CA to be exact. :D
Those of you Japan bashers, you should be looking further across the Pacific at China if you are afraid. They are buying up our resources at an alarming rate, that is why the prices of copper and concrete, among other things is skyrocketing, in conjunction with the cost of building homes and other structures. They are building like crazy over there and it is their goal to surpass us and especially Britain economically.

boxscore
06-09-2005, 06:11 AM
You can stand proud and say you'll only buy American, but think about it. How does blind loyalty help IMPROVE American products? Only competition, and more specifically getting beat by your competition, will make you improve. . (Again)
That's the bottom line. When someone says "buy only american" they dont see how the competetion forces better product development. Remember when Ford and GM products were really really bad... late 70's, thru the 80's... (very subjective time frame). Ford actually makes a damn good product now. You can thank Honda, Toyota, BMW, etc for that. W/O Honda Accords all over the place, you'd never see a fairly quality car like a Taurus. Safety-wise included. The Euros, ie Volvo, really forced the Big 3 into making safe cars as well.