PDA

View Full Version : Got my RE subs!!!

BOBALOO
06-08-2005, 03:55 PM
The UPS guy dropped off 2 12" Resonant Engineering sx subs today and I cant wait to get these things installed and start "breaking" them in. I bet my neighbors cant wait either.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4418RE_basket.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4418RE_basket2.jpg
These things weigh a ton and are built to the hilt. I might need MORE POWER grrr grrr grrr. oops..... maybe I should not make dog noises this week. :hammerhea
I have to give a big thank you to STV Keith for hooking a brother up.

Phat Matt
06-08-2005, 06:30 PM
They look pretty sweet. Why don't you get the new Hifonics XX Hercules? You'll get 2000w rms @ 1 ohm. :) I think that is what I am going to end up with. You can get them on Ebay for around $500. Cheaper than the JL 1000/1 I was planning on and I get twice the power. It's probably not as clean as the JL but fuggit, I'll get 1000w to each sub. It should sound just fine. :D

NOTALENT
06-09-2005, 06:33 AM
wow..those are some beasts...mind if we ask price?? :confused: I remember STV showing a while ago..but cant remember...

STV_Keith
06-09-2005, 07:22 AM
They sell for $275 each normally.

ROZ
06-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Cheaper than the JL 1000/1 I was planning on and I get twice the power. It's probably not as clean as the JL but fuggit, I'll get 1000w to each sub. It should sound just fine. :D
This is like the guy in Rancho Santa Fe who runs Realistic/Optimus home theater(built in) in his 4 million dollar house....
I hear the GT4 comes with a Sparkwood stereo, too!!!
:D

Beer-30
06-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Maybe 2K peak of the peak of the peak. You get what you pay for.

Phat Matt
06-09-2005, 10:05 AM
This is like the guy in Rancho Santa Fe who runs Realistic/Optimus home theater(built in) in his 4 million dollar house....
I hear the GT4 comes with a Sparkwood stereo, too!!!
So now I need to get 2 JL 1000's? :D This fuggen thing is getting expensive. :)

mbrown2
06-09-2005, 10:06 AM
So now I need to get 2 JL 1000's? :D This fuggen thing is getting expensive. :)
Why half step now....and pay later.....Zapco, JL, PG, or better....Don't fret over a 1,000 diff in amps with a 100,000+ boat ;)

Beer-30
06-09-2005, 10:12 AM
For the subs, I would probably stick with the JL. Decent power, decent price.
Put one to them for now. See how they work, break them in.
If you need more, move that one to one of the subs and add one more.

Phat Matt
06-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Why half step now....and pay later.....Zapco, JL, PG, or better....Don't fret over a 1,000 diff in amps with a 100,000+ boat ;)
Yeah I know. I still am going with 2 JL 300/4 and was planning on 1 JL 1000 but it seems a lot of the competition SPL guys think the XX Hifonics line is pretty good.
My thoughts were keeping the mids and highs loud and clear and throwing some watts to the subs if I go with the IDMAX's.

ROZ
06-09-2005, 10:20 AM
it seems a lot of the competition SPL guys think the XX Hifonics line is pretty good.
You know how quickly these guys sometimes go through equiptment for a blurp, right?
BTW, the those guys recently set another record....

phebus
06-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Yeah I know. I still am going with 2 JL 300/4 and was planning on 1 JL 1000 but it seems a lot of the competition SPL guys think the XX Hifonics line is pretty good.
My thoughts were keeping the mids and highs loud and clear and throwing some watts to the subs if I go with the IDMAX's.
Don't get caught up in having to have the "best" stereo on the water. Go with the stereo that meets your needs, is reliable, and be happy with that. It's not a competition, and your torturing yourself to come up with something new and different. There are a lot of proven quality systems out there.

mbrown2
06-09-2005, 11:18 AM
I don't think you are going for SPL but more SQ (even with the bass)....I am not saying sink idiot money into the system, but just don't cut corners..What you have is going to sound real good.
I will be upgrading my (1) 12W6 and 600x1 PG in the Malibu soon.....thinking 1200PG with (1) 13.6W7 in slot loaded enclosure....need more bass to keep up with the NVS tower..

CornWater
06-09-2005, 12:08 PM
How do you feel about an Autotec 2000.1 pushing two 12W6's???

Phat Matt
06-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Don't get caught up in having to have the "best" stereo on the water. Go with the stereo that meets your needs, is reliable, and be happy with that. It's not a competition, and your torturing yourself to come up with something new and different. There are a lot of proven quality systems out there.
I don't think I'll have the best one out there but it will sound pretty damn good! We haven't hung out on the water, but if you did you know I NEED my stereo. It runs all day. That is why I am going with the genny set up this time. I have 4 optimas in my boat now. On my last system I put it in over time and did it myself. This system is going in during the build process and I want it right the first time.
I love my music! :D

Phat Matt
06-09-2005, 12:52 PM
I don't think you are going for SPL but more SQ (even with the bass)....I am not saying sink idiot money into the system, but just don't cut corners..What you have is going to sound real good.
I will be upgrading my (1) 12W6 and 600x1 PG in the Malibu soon.....thinking 1200PG with (1) 13.6W7 in slot loaded enclosure....need more bass to keep up with the NVS tower..
I'm not going for SPL, you're right. But SQL would be nice. I was just using that as an example. I currently have a Hifonics amp in my boat for my subs and it works great and has never shut off due to heat. My alpine on the other hand is a tempermental little bitch. ;)
Sub placement in the new boat is a bitch and I'd really like to go IB for an easier install. A slot loaded box would be ideal but I would have to stick it in a sponson and I think that will be robbing sound. This is what I am planning on speaker placement wise.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524Eticket3.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524Eticket2.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524Eticket1.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/152430.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/152421.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/15245.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/152405-Power-Boat-Photo-shoot.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524seenpm.jpg
Nothing is set in stone so I am still open to ideas. What do you all think?

phebus
06-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Wow, lots of sound. I really like that you are trying to put your speakers up as high as possible. Your boat is going to be awesome, I can't wait to see it. I think E-Ticket is making one of the nicest boats out there.

1stepcloser
06-09-2005, 02:16 PM
The drag guys arent in it to impress anybody with anything other than DB numbers.
Sound Quality is definately not on their list.

Phat Matt
06-09-2005, 02:30 PM
The drag guys arent in it to impress anybody with anything other than DB numbers.
Sound Quality is definately not on their list.
I know. These IDMAX speakers are pretty hungry though. :)

Phat Matt
06-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Wow, lots of sound. I really like that you are trying to put your speakers up as high as possible. Your boat is going to be awesome, I can't wait to see it. I think E-Ticket is making one of the nicest boats out there.
Speaker placement can make all the difference in the world. The sound will travel easier in the deck than it does in my V though. It'll be a nice boat once it is all done. :)

ROZ
06-09-2005, 02:39 PM
That's a lont of speakers up front and in the mid section, but what about the back of the boat? Are you going to have the upholstery shop put the 3.5's irecessed inside the seats so a flush upholstered grill can be used?

Phat Matt
06-09-2005, 03:35 PM
That's a lont of speakers up front and in the mid section, but what about the back of the boat? Are you going to have the upholstery shop put the 3.5's irecessed inside the seats so a flush upholstered grill can be used?
The back is a problem. That why the 3.5's will be shooting back. I am going to have them built into the seats so they are flush. It's a custom boat right? :) I figure if it's white there I'll have something made like a home speaker that is removeable in white. I may be able to move the middle 6x9's to the rear/side, but I am not sure yet. I can't put them into the very back facing forward becuase I am having the back seat built into an icechest.
http://www.eticketboats.com/luxury_cat/luxury_cat-Images/41.jpg
What do you think?

Beer-30
06-09-2005, 04:20 PM
I have been considering the PG amps. Curious about heat. Is the 600 you have fan cooled? If so, does it hold up out there in the heat or does it shut down?

ROZ
06-09-2005, 05:05 PM
The back is a problem. That why the 3.5's will be shooting back. I am going to have them built into the seats so they are flush. It's a custom boat right? :) I figure if it's white there I'll have something made like a home speaker that is removeable in white. I may be able to move the middle 6x9's to the rear/side, but I am not sure yet. I can't put them into the very back facing forward becuase I am having the back seat built into an icechest.
http://www.eticketboats.com/luxury_cat/luxury_cat-Images/41.jpg
What do you think?
No cupholder pod anywhere back there you can have enlarged(to fit 40oz's ;) ) a pair of speakers into? I thought it was custom... ;) :D

mbrown2
06-09-2005, 07:49 PM
I have been considering the PG amps. Curious about heat. Is the 600 you have fan cooled? If so, does it hold up out there in the heat or does it shut down?
Has not shut down yet....they have internal fans...I don't even have external on them....much better cooling properties then my 1500BD Rockford with external fans on it...

mbrown2
06-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Matt,
Not sure about how to get more sound in back without having more pics of the back...maybe you can do 6x9's under the hatch (ala Boatfloating)....if you really want to project...
I would really think at least doing a sealed enclosure for the subs...IB is simple, but I have never been impressed with the deep bass you get from some the IB setups...
Have you heard 3.5's in a boat setup? Wondering how much they will really give you out on the lake with all of the ambient noise..

BOBALOO
06-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Well, the initial driveway testing is done on the RE SX12's and the verdict is in. (unlike the MJ trial)
These subs kick AZZ...
They kind of make my eyes do this :messedup: when the bass hits and they still need to loosen up I'm sure. I had to re adjust my whole amp gain setup and my neighbor across the street said I was rattling the plates in her china cabinet. :D
I dont know if I have heard the JL 12's at the river or not but I think that the RE's will hang with them for sure. I still feel for the money the Comp VR's are an excellent sub for someone on a budget but for the power levels I am giving 2 12's (1500W max) they are just getting smoked (literally).
I would buy the RE's again in a heartbeat and for a budget system like mine they fit the bill better than alot of the more expensive subs out there.
If I could build a new boat like Matt I would be out of control. It would go something like this.
ME....Lets see, we dont really need a passenger seat do we? I think a couple 15" subs will fit there better.
Ang...You are stupid
ME....Yeah I know but isn't that a great idea? What about getting outboards so the generator and batteries will have more room?
Ang...why dont you just leave the engines off and we can get Vessel Assist to tow us around.
Me..... I like where you're going with this.
Actual quote heard 3 weeks ago after I smoked another sub
" cant we just take ALL the stereo stuff out of the boat? I'm tired of it."

Havasu Hangin'
06-12-2005, 12:56 PM
"cant we just take ALL the stereo stuff out of the boat? I'm tired of it."
Congrats.
Now, as your hearing gets worse, you'll have to keep upgrading. It's a disease my friend...and there is no cure to date.
Hello...my name is HH, and I'm an audioaholic.

Phat Matt
06-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Congrats.
Now, as your hearing gets worse, you'll have to keep upgrading. It's a disease my friend...and there is no cure to date.
Hello...my name is HH, and I'm an audioaholic.
It's never ending isn't it? :D But I love it! Especially when I am anchored in a cove floating in the water, drinking a beer and listening to some good music!

Phat Matt
06-13-2005, 09:37 PM
So MBrown, would you say you are a fan of the PG Xenon 1200.1? I think a couple of those might work out well. :D

Beer-30
06-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Has not shut down yet....they have internal fans...I don't even have external on them....much better cooling properties then my 1500BD Rockford with external fans on it...
Thanks. Mine are in an enclosed area, wanted amps with fans. Will port some air to them also, maybe with an external at the exhaust to get rid of the heat. Rockfords can run hot anyway. Sometimes a couple of fans are needed. :shift: