PDA

View Full Version : serious question...

gregr1971
04-29-2006, 09:26 AM
Hey fella's, i am taking a job offer in Denver,Co. , will pe purchasing a house in Fort Morgan,Co. My question is where is there to use my boat, is there any fellow jetter's around the area, what kind of " laws" are there regarding noise, speed, etc..., here in Texas, we have no lwas governing, noise ,speed, etc.., i guess that is becayse we have an abundance of water here???

CARLSON-JET
04-29-2006, 09:49 AM
The denver area has very few choices. Cherry creek in Aurora is where I used to go. Chatfield res. but I think they were kinda strict there. there is also a decent lake out east off of I-80 in nebraska called Lake McConaughy. there are a few others you can fish like Aurora res. but you are not going to be bringing a big boat in there. you have to get to the creek really early or it will be full.

Sleek-Jet
04-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Up around Ft. Collins there are a few lakes, can't think of their names off the top of my head though.
Speed limit in Colorado is 35 mph on all lakes, though I've never seen it enforced. Same noise rules as the rest of the country excluding California. As long as the headers arean't dry or uncorked, you should be good to go.

Squirtcha?
04-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Wow, I hope it aint actually that bad.
I don't mean to sound negative, nor rain on Gregr's parade, but Colorado doesn't sound like ***boat mecca by any means.

gregr1971
04-29-2006, 01:25 PM
well, that really suck's, i guess i will have a really low hour jet boat..... :cry:
but i guess the 30,000. extra per yr. will make up for it.....

caribbean20
04-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Gregr, I bought my jet while living in Littleton, CO (south of Denver) in 1991 and kept my boat there until moving in 1997, so that is my frame of reference. Obviously the lakes remain, the laws may be a little different. Here are your choices 1) Pueblo reservoir, south of Denver about 2 hours I recall. If the mountain water run-off is good, lake can be about 5 miles long. This is the biggest lake closest to Denver. As mentioned in an earlier post, close to Denver are Cherry Creek reservoir and Chatfield Reservoir, both can get very crowded on weekends. I recall cops on Chatfield with the radar gun, aimed squarely at my boat, but lucky no citation. North of Denver around Ft. Collins is Horsetooth Reservoir, fairly good size (I recall maybe about 3 miles long).
For the weekend trip, there is Lake McConoughy (sp?) in western Nebraska. This is a bigger lake than all of the rest mentioned above. I boated on that lake once. Usually quite windy out there.
I have since moved to the west coast and keep my boat around Lake Mead. Yes you can boat in Colorado, but nothing like the Co. river or like the lakes in Texas, but you will adapt and maybe take that one or two longer weekends or weeks to satiate your boating fix.

Sleek-Jet
04-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Blue Mesa wouldn't be bad for a long weekend either. It's on the other side of the hills just outside Gunnison. Probably about a 4 hour drive or so pulling a boat.

gregr1971
04-29-2006, 05:12 PM
4 hours for a test & tune, sh*t, i am used to going from backing up to my boat to the ramp and being in the water in less than 5 min., 4 hours-that will take a lot of getting used to!

H2OT TIMES
04-29-2006, 09:32 PM
I live in Longmont, CO. about 35 miles north of Denver. It isn't quite as bleak as it sounds. Cherry Creek and Chatfield are right in Denver and the speed limit, I'm told , is strictly enforced but, not so much at Horsetooth res,, in Ft. Collins or Sterling Res. , just outside of Sterling, CO. There is the lake in Nebraska, as mentioned. I'm told it is very nice. Very clear water and a ghost town on the bottom. There is also a lake in Wyoming, not as far away as it may sound, that I'm told is a jet boat hang out. I moved here from the Dallas area just a couple years ago myself. Keep in touch and I'll be happy to show you around when you get here. PM me for an email address.

jtmarten
04-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Cherry Creek is a very small but nice lake. Lots of lake lice on weekends though, and if you're not early enough its one out, one in. I've been to Chatfield once ... once. Never again. 1 1/2 hours sitting in line to get into the water, and almost that to get out. The launch ramps just suck ass there. That was several years ago, but I doubt it has changed. And yes, the rangers will sit out there and radar you. I think the speed limit is 45 and they're strict there. Pueblo is great, but a long drive from Denver, but well worth it for a weekend trip. Blue Mesa in Gunnison is beautiful. Pretty narrow in most places, but 20+ miles long, and very cold water (Gunnison usually gets the record low temps ... everyday). If you don't mind a few hour drive for long weekend trips Glendo in Wy is awesome. We're heading there the last week of June.
I've never had any problem with noise at any of the lakes we've been to, but I'm running Harman TT logs.

Sleek-Jet
04-30-2006, 05:40 AM
4 hours for a test & tune, sh*t, i am used to going from backing up to my boat to the ramp and being in the water in less than 5 min., 4 hours-that will take a lot of getting used to!
I said for a long weekend... sheesh.... :rolleyes:
Like others have noted, there a numerous small lakes around the front range for day trips and what not.