PDA

View Full Version : River Accident 6-4-05

psychocal
06-09-2005, 07:12 AM
I am wondering if anyone one this site saw what happened. At about 6 p.m. my daughter (12) and her friend (13) were in an inner tube being towed by the 13 year olds dad when a blue fan boat, similar to those found in the Everglades in Florida came out of the channel near Clear Lake and cut in front of the girls tube, brushing the front of the tube sending the girls crashing into the side of his boat.
Neither girl, by the grace of God, was seriously injured. My daughter has a severely sprained ankle and her friend has a cut lip and bruised chin. Another friend that was with my daughters group took photos of the fan boat occupants (2-18 year olds and a 20 year old) tossing their beer into the river and sticking their fingers down their throats to make themselves puke right after the accident. I do have to give the driver of the fan boat credit as he immediately jumped into the water to help the girls and I have been told that he was very emotionally upset after the girls were taken to the hospital.
Through some miscommunication the fan boat was towed into Squaw Lake where we were informed the Arizona authorities could not arrest this kid, so the report is now being investigated by the Yuma County Attorney for potential prosecution.
Sorry this post is so long, but if anyone saw anything or knows anything about this boat and it's driver, please let us know. This could have been so much worse and I want to make sure that this kid can't do this to anyone else.

Throttle
06-09-2005, 07:16 AM
what lake, what river?

dirty old man
06-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Where the hell are you? I've only seen one fan boat west of the Mississippi and it was at Bill Williams near Havasu Springs. What part of the hot boat world are you talking about

psychocal
06-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Colorado River near Hidden Shores.

bunny 166
06-09-2005, 07:18 AM
I'm so sorry for your family.... :clover: :clover:

Throttle
06-09-2005, 07:20 AM
thats why it is called hidden shores, i do not know where that is... sorry to hear the info... thoughts and prayers.

CandyA$$
06-09-2005, 07:25 AM
Colorado River near Hidden Shores.
You know you might what to try the just jets board. Alot of them go down that way.
Or even Hot Spots, West board

Havasu Luvr
06-09-2005, 07:29 AM
did it look like this?
http://imwetnwild.com/Gallery05/mem05/P5270805.JPG

dirty old man
06-09-2005, 07:33 AM
thats bitchin, I want one. but aren't they illegal on our lakes/rivers. boat cop?

Outnumbered
06-09-2005, 07:33 AM
That's what freeks me out about hidden shores. I always think some jet ski is gonna come flying out of the reeds and t-bone me. Sorry to hear about your kids, but glad they are OK. You may want to post some flyers down at the park and see if anybody saw anything.

Parker Dreamin
06-09-2005, 07:41 AM
I am glad everybody is okay..

Mandelon
06-09-2005, 07:49 AM
This is down near Martinez, Fishers Landing, north of Yuma. Clear Lake is accessible through two channels cut in through the reeds.
I saw that air boat pictured above in the channel over Memorial.

psychocal
06-09-2005, 08:02 AM
did it look like this?
http://imwetnwild.com/Gallery05/mem05/P5270805.JPG
My daughter says it looks like that, but that is not the boat that hit them. The boat that hit them was homemade and blue in color. The kid that was driving the boat lives in Yuma. There was a small article about the accident in the Yuma Sun on Tuesday June 7th.

dubbledee
06-09-2005, 08:05 AM
I heard that the boat may be owned by a San Diego East county resident named Brent Willock, from Willock Construction. I'm not sure it's spelled correctly.

dirty old man
06-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Hey, how many fan boats can there be here? is is going to be that hard to find. was this a hit and run?

pixilatedpussy
06-09-2005, 08:16 AM
We are so glad everyone is ok...Sounds like someone had an angel with them!

Ducatista
06-09-2005, 08:25 AM
There was a blue fan boat on Havasu about 1 week ago, I saw it out there by site six when I was on vacation. I don't have any pic's or any other info for you...glad they made it out ok and the injuries were not worse...good luck.

moneypit
06-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Im stil lost.. Clear lake?

psychocal
06-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Hey, how many fan boats can there be here? is is going to be that hard to find. was this a hit and run?
No it was not a hit and run...only because the people with my daughters group tied a tow rope up to the guy so they couldn't leave.

psychocal
06-09-2005, 08:29 AM
It is one of the "coves" on the Colorado River outside of Yuma AZ near Martinez Lake.

Mandelon
06-09-2005, 08:29 AM
This is down near Martinez, and Fishers Landing, north of Yuma. Clear Lake is accessible through two channels cut in through the reeds. It is not on too many maps
Ferguson is another small lake fed by the river, not really lakes, but river fed fat spots along the river. Clear Lak abuts Squaw Lake, through a dredged are in the reeds. Its a great little place.
The lower river can be a bit intimidating, but the bottom is all sand.

psychocal
06-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Doesn't sound like he's looking for the fan boat or driver, sounds like he's looking for witnesses to the accident.
We are looking for information so that we can make other boaters aware of this guy so they can look out for him because he obviously won't look out for you!!

psychocal
06-09-2005, 08:35 AM
You already said that the driver jumped in to help your daughter and her friend. That hardly sounds like hit and run. Mistakes were made, but I don't think you should insinuate that the guy would have hit and run when his first action was to stop and help.
The reactions from the other two occupants of this kid's boat indicated they were going to leave and that is why the other party hooked the tow rope to them.

Boatcop
06-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Clear Lake is nearly right on the border between La Paz and Yuma Counties. South of Picacho. It's just North of what's called "Grass Island", approx 13 miles north of Fisher's Landing.
If he was coming out of one of the inlets, into the main River Channel, then he is 100% at fault, providing that the other boat was on the proper side of the main channel.
And, No! Air boat's aren't illegal on the Colorado River.

dirty old man
06-09-2005, 08:56 AM
thanks Alan, I didn't think so. And re: the hit & run comment, only since they took the boat out and moved it somewhere else after the accident. again my question, how hard is it going to be finding a fan boat?

tamalewagon
06-09-2005, 09:16 AM
I was at the river in Mid May and saw the fan boat you're referring to. It was definately coming from below the Fishers area as that is where we saw it pass us going up river and then heading south again later in the day. Wish I could I.D. the driver(s) for you.

BarryMac
06-09-2005, 09:43 AM
We were out there about a month ago and saw this ass clown on the big Sandbar, not sure where he stays down there, hopefully Grape Ape or Brady Bunch will see this, I think they might know who he is or know someone that knows him. Sorry to hear of the accident, glad everyone is okay...