PDA

View Full Version : Berk JE pump shifter cable

Konabud
12-29-2005, 01:12 PM
I just received my Christmas presents from Rex (thanks Rexone) which included among other things a new shifter cable. I ordered a Teleflex Tfxtreme cable as a direct replacement for the old Morse 43C cable I was replacing. I removed my shifter cable (with cable seal) and when I went to put the new one on found that the cable jacket was smaller in diameter than the old Morse cable so my seal will not work! Whats a body to do? Do they make a seal with a larger O ring? Keep in mind that this is a JE pump with the cables coming thru the transom below the waterline using bellows which attach to the aformentioned cable seal to keep the water out (ha!ha! still drying my pants after pulling the bellows). Any help would be cool! (Rex is closed until after the first)
Konabud

Cole1313
12-29-2005, 01:25 PM
I just received my Christmas presents from Rex (thanks Rexone) which included among other things a new shifter cable. I ordered a Teleflex Tfxtreme cable as a direct replacement for the old Morse 43C cable I was replacing. I removed my shifter cable (with cable seal) and when I went to put the new one on found that the cable jacket was smaller in diameter than the old Morse cable so my seal will not work! Whats a body to do? Do they make a seal with a larger O ring? Keep in mind that this is a JE pump with the cables coming thru the transom below the waterline using bellows which attach to the aformentioned cable seal to keep the water out (ha!ha! still drying my pants after pulling the bellows). Any help would be cool! (Rex is closed until after the first)
Konabud
I am sure they make a different seal. But if they dont, use some silicone.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man. (and a LOT of different size/thickness o-rings)

Duane HTP
12-29-2005, 02:42 PM
The o-ring is not what seals the cable. It needs to be lubed there so it will slide back and forth easily. The BOOT is what seals the water out of the boat.

Konabud
12-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks for all the responses, I found an O ring that fit the bill (a little large on the o/d and a little thicker). Greased her up, should work good! Got quite a bit accomplished today. New tilt steering with cable and new shifter with cable installed! I'll probably have to silicone the small end of the shifter cable boot because of the smaller cable diameter.Thanks again!
Konabud

FASTRAT
12-29-2005, 07:58 PM
Hey Konabud...
u must have a really wierd cable set-up?...my cables on my '76 Kona go thru the transom above the water line...why do urs go below the water line?
just curious...sounds fishy to me!
fastrat

Konabud
12-29-2005, 08:02 PM
I think all 12-JE and 12-JF pumps are like that.

Duane HTP
12-30-2005, 07:32 PM
He has an E Pump. E & F pumps all have their cables coming out of the transom by the lower right side of the pump. Here's a picture of the set up.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/12-JF.gif

Konabud
12-30-2005, 10:40 PM
Here's another pic
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3112Berk_12-JE.jpg

olbiezer
12-31-2005, 08:59 AM
why didnt u just order a 43bc cable they are still for sale around

Konabud
12-31-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm not one to just go with what they used 30 years ago. After having really sticky steering since I owned the boat (only six months) I wanted the best cable I could buy since I wanted it to be as free as possible and basically have to tear the whole boat apart to change it. The Teleflex Tfxtreme cables are supposed to be (according to my research) the freest running cable out there. So to take advantage of the newer technology I decided to go with the same cable on the shifting. Who knew that they would change the cable diameter? It's not all that big of a deal anyway, it just seems that they didn't take into consideration the probably one and only case where it made a difference. :)

74TAHITI
12-31-2005, 09:58 AM
I was told that the cable diameter problem came about when Teleflex bought Morse. Rather than tool up to produce replacement cables in the Morse diameter, they just produced them in their own(Teleflex's) existing size.
Like Duane said, in the case of a JE pump it isn't that important, as the o-ring in the through-transom fitting is there to prevent chafing as the cable moves back-and-forth through it. The flexible boot is the seal.
Olbiezer, the JE pump uses a 43c, not a 43bc. The 43c has a clamp-style mount at both ends. The 43bc has a clamp-style at one end and a bulkhead-style mount at the other end.