PDA

View Full Version : any pool guys?

riverroyal
06-09-2005, 08:05 PM
i have a few question,thinking of a major career change soon,wanting to spend more time with kids etc,,thanks

Phat Matt
06-09-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm pretty cool. :cool:

TOBTEK
06-09-2005, 08:18 PM
i have a few question,thinking of a major career change soon,wanting to spend more time with kids etc,,thanks
study up QUICK....WW and I are shopping for pool / landscape projects. Get a beer and walk our street all day....only about 20 projects going on right now. :frown:

Bling Bling
06-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Service and repair or full builder?

Mandelon
06-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Talk to Roz. If you think building pools and contracting will get you more time off...........well. :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea

HCS
06-09-2005, 09:43 PM
I can play 8-ball with the best. Matter of fact! I'll kick RD's ass any day. :p
8-ball, 9-ball, KILL. I don't care. I'm the best. :D

ROZ
06-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Service and repair or full builder?It's going to take a lot of large commercial accounts to keep him in the lap of luxury where he is ...lol...
Them apts and condo pools keeping you busy, Bling? Repairs are stackin up over here...lol... :D
RR... In general, residential pool owners are cheap... Commercial pool service is where you make a solid living. When a repair is needed in comercial settings, property mgmt will have you out there on the double to getr done. Managers hate complaints from tenants....

ROZ
06-09-2005, 09:47 PM
Talk to Roz. If you think building pools and contracting will get you more time off...........well. :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea
Yea, I've only been home for about 3 hours....
:redface:
Some day :cool:

NashvilleBound
06-09-2005, 09:50 PM
study up QUICK....WW and I are shopping for pool / landscape projects. Get a beer and walk our street all day....only about 20 projects going on right now. :frown:
Did Brett with Rancho La Playa call you today? I gave him your number.....

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 08:27 AM
may buy a route here in north san diego,rancho santa fe,encinitas etc.Ive been in commercial construction for 16yrs,its not the same as it was,too many guys working for less money than weve always been paid,quailty is down and the people owning the building dont care,they usually sell them off after they are built.So instead of making the same amount of money the rest of my life,which isnt cool,Im thinking of something new!Start small then build it.

MagicMtnDan
06-10-2005, 08:34 AM
Hope this isn't off topic for this thread...
How much money can I expect to save if I work with the pool contractors directly instead of using a "pool company" to do the entire project? It looks like the pool contractors are very busy and as a result the pool prices are very high. I talked to a guy who digs holes for pools and he suggested I "do it myself" and get the contractors and equipment myself. I think I can do the design, drawings, pull the permits and get quality contractors (I think) - is it feasible to "DIY" and do it right while saving some serious cash (I'm guessing I could save around $10,000)?
Thanks

vodkarocks
06-10-2005, 08:45 AM
mmd
I put my own pool in when I lived in Houston. Believe me you will save more than 10,000 in California. I saved more than that in Houston and it cost about 1/3 as much in Texas vs California. Can't believe what people pay for pools here
The other thing is you can do it much faster. I was adding water to my pool on the 20th day doing it myself. I just had a neighbor do a pool and it took the contractor 6 months.

Dave C
06-10-2005, 08:48 AM
whats a pool? ;) ;)

Dave C
06-10-2005, 09:07 AM
soooooo whats the point of that??? ;) ;) other than making Blings boat bigger! :2purples:
a pool is a large gunite lined hole with chlorine filled filtered water, but that's not important right now :messedup: - keyes
I'm J/K'ing. You can count the # of pools around here on one hand.

UltraStealth
06-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Hope this isn't off topic for this thread...
How much money can I expect to save if I work with the pool contractors directly instead of using a "pool company" to do the entire project? It looks like the pool contractors are very busy and as a result the pool prices are very high. I talked to a guy who digs holes for pools and he suggested I "do it myself" and get the contractors and equipment myself. I think I can do the design, drawings, pull the permits and get quality contractors (I think) - is it feasible to "DIY" and do it right while saving some serious cash (I'm guessing I could save around $10,000)?
Thanks
Try SVC Pools in Santa Clarita or Designer Pools in Palmdale. I am in the works of getting quotes from both. I have looked at two contractors rather than pool companies as well, and they seem to be in the same range give or take $5,000 or $10,000. I have also had some landscape companies provide a bid, and they seem to be a little cheaper. Good luck!

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 10:18 AM
doing yourself may save you some money but it may be a pain in the ass,getting all the sub contractors going,buying equiptment,permits,etc.You maybe screaming at multiple contractors instead of one ,also a pool contractor will have some kind of warranty,if you go with different sources for each task it may be tough to point a finger if something goes wrong.Its sometimes worth it to spend the extra money

MagicMtnDan
06-10-2005, 10:25 AM
You're right but having to deal with the different subcontractors may not be all that bad since it'll force me to get involved with each one and see what they're doing and how they're doing it.
It will certainly take more time but the savings should be worth it. If/when there are problems I assume I'll know who I need to talk to about it.
FYI: I got a price of $38,000 for a relatively small, rectangular-shaped pool with nothing extra. It includes Pebbletech finish and salt water system with supposedly top-of-the-line equipment. It's a turnkey price but there are no extras, no landscaping, no extra concrete or tile/stone work, etc. I'm waiting on a couple other prices but my feeling is that this price is very fat and could be a lot less if I DIY.

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 10:38 AM
in north san diego that would be a fair price,from what I understand pool companys wont do the hardscape stuff anymore,you need a landscape contractor also,theres another 15k or so

JB in so cal
06-10-2005, 10:49 AM
If you want to go a different direction for employment and more time with the kids, how about this:?
Move out to Black Meadow and work the front office - couldn't go anywhere but up, I say! Kids could go to school in Parker; wifey could get a security job on the dam; You'd be......................Livin Large. :messedup:

UltraStealth
06-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Try SVC Pools and Designer Pools. They do hardscape, landscape etc.

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 10:53 AM
i could eat in the resturant every morning,id see all my friends,get all shriveled up,see a change of seasons,hang with burros,the list is endless.Hey im 36,if I dont make a career change soon I will end up dying on a job site when Im old and angry,that scares me more than making a job change

JB in so cal
06-10-2005, 10:57 AM
i could eat in the resturant every morning,id see all my friends,get all shriveled up,see a change of seasons,hang with burros,the list is endless.Hey im 36,if I dont make a career change soon I will end up dying on a job site when Im old and angry,that scares me more than making a job change
Yeah. BUt the way I see it, you have a lot in common with some of those folks... "medication this, hospital visit that..." blah,blah, blah. You can impress them with your skills at having a bowell movement WHEN you want to. How you can sleep later than 5:00 AM. Your driving over 60 will wow 'em, too.
You'd be like the Star of the park... "Oh, there goes RR, did you hear he chewed all of his food last night!"
:cool:

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 10:59 AM
arent you supposed to be at work or something?..

JB in so cal
06-10-2005, 11:01 AM
arent you supposed to be at work or something?..
Multi-tasking.

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 11:03 AM
lisa working?Maybe we can get a south oc /north san diego pool business,Im sure we wouldnt be slackers

JB in so cal
06-10-2005, 11:14 AM
lisa working?Maybe we can get a south oc /north san diego pool business,Im sure we wouldnt be slackers
No. With surgery on the 22nd, starting a job now doesn't make sense. She's got a couple irons in the fire. She's got more work to do around the house; she's at Depot right now buying base board paint :D

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 11:16 AM
thats cool,painting baseboards stinks,will you guys still be going to bml,she just gonna be in a soft cast?,,also did she get up on the air chair last week?I gotta try it next week

JB in so cal
06-10-2005, 11:19 AM
We'll be there. No on the A/C after everyone left, we we're by ourselves and being law-abiding boaters, didn't risk running without an observer. Watched the video, though. We were doing it all wrong LOL!

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 11:22 AM
if you guys dont do the regatta thing we should go out early,I got pain meds,we will be fine

blackcloud75
06-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Pursuing you own accounts is the best way but time consuming(more profitable with some hard work).
Existing routes for sale.......check these
www.1prb.com
www.poolroutesales.com
Very good business depending on demographics and abilities
I know a few who make an excellent living(better than a civil servant) doing repairs and maintenance
BC75

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 12:32 PM
ive been looking with them,owner called me this morning,,,thanks

blackcloud75
06-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Try and get to know the seller first, if possible. The broker will try and sell you a "bill of goods" like a salesman. Usually the route owners are straight forward as far as accounts/employees/collections etc. When I was dealing with some commercial accounts the route owner told me some issues that the broker didn't which steered me away from the investment.
BC75

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 12:52 PM
how many pools?how many hours a week do you think?

blackcloud75
06-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Depends what your looking for?
Example:My buddy's career is simple
Schedule: Monday-Friday from 0600-1400(8 hour day mostly driving between accounts)
Accounts: 70 residential/13 commercial or HOA accounts(he does Trinity Broadcasts Network's fountains off the 405 in Fountain Valley=SLACKERS dont pay on-time)
Fridays he does have a part-time guy working 5 accounts for him
Salary: Government thinks he makes roughly min. wage but he pulls Mid-6 figures
Join the Associations related to the industry for benefits,etc.
I work 10 days a month and I AM JEALOUS OF HIS JOB!!!!
Just remember it is the same as being a small business owner.

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 01:16 PM
i work way more than 40 and dont make nearly that,plus tax man loves me

UltraLucky
06-10-2005, 01:35 PM
What are you guys paying for pool sevice?
We are paying $65/mo for full weekly service. How does he get mid six fig. (500k) income just off of service of 83 accounts. Just curious

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 01:43 PM
typical account gets 75$ to 100 for monthly service,so add the amount of accounts,say 70,thats 7000$ a month,then repairs typical add 30 to 40% on top of that,,so roughly another 3000$,2000$ to be safe,thats 9000$ a month,times 12 months,expenses are around 10 to 20% off that,what type of truck,insurance ,chemicals etc

ROZ
06-10-2005, 01:48 PM
That's a lot of pools to service within those time parameters... They must all be within really short driving distance..
Most, if not all, commercial pools require 2 to 3 visits a week. I have one in Carlsbad who is requesting a 4th visit per week, but I know property mgmt won't go for it.. I have a buddy who services about 40 commercial pools per month. He starts around 6am and gets home around 6pm on the heavy days, and around 4pm on not so busy days unless he has repairs lined up. Currently repairs are LINING UP... I've been sub'd to doing a lot of his repairs because he just doesn't have enough time to get them done... I do know he billed over 180k last year... His Net is between him, his accountant, and God...lol
Summer is a very busy time, as you can imagine, but the winter is when you have the extra time to yourself... That's when you make money, too...
Don't think that the industry is a breeze. There many times when I get home and have to hit the spa because I'm flat worn out..
If all you did was walk in, check chemicals, net a few leaves, and collect the monthly due, everyone would be doing it... There's plenty of work to go around, though...

JB in so cal
06-10-2005, 01:48 PM
typical account gets 75$ to 100 for monthly service,so add the amount of accounts,say 70,thats 7000$ a month,then repairs typical add 30 to 40% on top of that,,so roughly another 3000$,2000$ to be safe,thats 9000$ a month,times 12 months,expenses are around 10 to 20% off that,what type of truck,insurance ,chemicals etc
Holy S***. I can the saliva from way up here...

ROZ
06-10-2005, 01:52 PM
What are you guys paying for pool sevice?
We are paying $65/mo for full weekly service. How does he get mid six fig. (500k) income just off of service of 83 accounts. Just curious
the 13 commercial accounts and commercial repairs is where he's making his money.. Those accounts will pay from 150 - 1k per month.... They can be a lot of work though...
If you're good and fast, your golden...

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 01:52 PM
my good friends do it,im riding with one next week in rancho santa fe, ive been in construction since the day I gotta outta high school,getting up a 5,on the job before the suns out,blah blah, i know hard work,and 12hr days,just wanting that for myself,not the MAN.

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 01:53 PM
thought you were a stereo guy?

ROZ
06-10-2005, 01:55 PM
The IE rates tend to be a little higher... A buddy up there is getting toward 120 per month on some pools... They demand a little more attention, though... the heat sucks.

ROZ
06-10-2005, 01:57 PM
thought you were a stereo guy?
Soon you'll be able to change the tense to was... :cool:
Been doing this on the side for about 10 years....90% commercial...

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 01:57 PM
im gonna try to find a 30 to 40 account route,my wife works 60 plus hours a week,I want to be able to take kids to school,pick them up etc,get rid of day care and stuff like that.

JB in so cal
06-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Interested in a vending route?

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 02:01 PM
what do ya got?

ROZ
06-10-2005, 02:02 PM
just wanting that for myself,not the MAN.
I HEAR THAT!! :D
I was talking to a pool guy at the supply house.. He was complaining about a woman in RSF who is trying to not pay him for desperately needed legitimate repair. Apperantly she says it's too expensive, blah, blah, blah... 4 Mercedes in the garage of a 3mil. house :notam: I'm sure your buddies have some stories..lol..

ROZ
06-10-2005, 02:04 PM
im gonna try to find a 30 to 40 account route,my wife works 60 plus hours a week,I want to be able to take kids to school,pick them up etc,get rid of day care and stuff like that.
Sounds good to me :D

JB in so cal
06-10-2005, 02:06 PM
what do ya got?
You met him Memorial. one of wifey's bros. Orange County; has a few Schools and about 30 machines. Looking to get into loans or insurance. Bad back and not getting better. I don't know if he wants to sell right away since he's not onto his next venture, but would entertain someone taking it over somehow and eventually phase him out.

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 02:06 PM
he says the richer they are the harder to get them to pay,he suggest staying in the middle class hoods,600k to 900k homes,not rancho and fairbanks,but the repairs out there make more money,bigger pools or accountants who dont know what is really costs

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 02:07 PM
up there right?

JB in so cal
06-10-2005, 02:08 PM
up there right?
Where the air smells like young, nubile beach-going, hotties; yes. Mostly north as a matter of fact - Huntington, etc.

ROZ
06-10-2005, 02:09 PM
I'd say you can get about 20 good commercial accounts, but they can be demanding. Vacations can be non existant...

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 02:12 PM
trying to stay close to home,ive become mr.mom you know,last couple of years has changed for us,Renee is now the money maker and Im the go to parent for school etc,its great,just a huge adjustment.One of us needs to around here for the kids,and her job kicks ass,she loves it,where mine kinda sucks now,no speechy no spanish on construction site.....times have change out there

JB in so cal
06-10-2005, 02:16 PM
trying to stay close to home,ive become mr.mom you know,last couple of years has changed for us,Renee is now the money maker and Im the go to parent for school etc,its great,just a huge adjustment.One of us needs to around here for the kids,and her job kicks ass,she loves it,where mine kinda sucks now,no speechy no spanish on construction site.....times have change out there
Well, you know. Lisa's part Puerto Rican; get some booze in her and the Spanglish just starts flowing. She can learn ya' in it.
In all seriousness, I hope you find something you can get into. Don't dismiss that BML gig...

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 02:20 PM
i will find something,work called this morning,they want me at a pre-construction meeting in del mar next week,another 8 month long building going up,I can always go back to that,which im sure I will

JB in so cal
06-10-2005, 02:26 PM
make this one of your favorites. It's great entertainment: "which toilet chemical works in the high humididty..." "where is a great place to boondock??" Not quite the drama as this place and NO hot women, but good tech help and some cranky old guys onmce in a while.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm

blackcloud75
06-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Sorry about the misprint,,,,,,I meant around 150,000 a year.
With accounts being within close proximty is the best for shorting the day up...

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 02:33 PM
when we got our last trailer we has some delamintion troubles,I did a google search,ended up there with a bunch of other people with the same issues. its a great place, I learned about the sway device I bought for our old trailer from some guys on there,which Im selling now,since we dont have the tow behind, I took it off before the trade in

ROZ
06-10-2005, 02:47 PM
i will find something,work called this morning,they want me at a pre-construction meeting in del mar next week,another 8 month long building going up,I can always go back to that,which im sure I will
Screw that! Since you're wife s does well, get yourself a new economical truck, a case of sunscreen, a lifeguard hat, and good tight and local route. Live it up :D
You'll probably add 15 years to you life due to less stress!!!! :D

riverroyal
06-10-2005, 02:52 PM
thats what im trying to do!Ive got enough heart issues,I wanna see my kids get old,Im tired of running construction job,the work is fun,the crews ive had the last few years put me in the hospital!