PDA

View Full Version : Oil Additives

Rivertoys_com
04-23-2001, 07:48 PM
Does anyone use Dura-lube or Prolong?
Does anyone have a good reason NOT to use those products?
Is one better than another?
I'm seriously considering using Duralube in my 460 to help protect the bearings.
Dura-lube's box states it's for 4-5qrt cap. cases. I have a dooley pan that's bigger than that. Should I just double-up for 8-10qrts?
Any comments would be appreciated.

Cas42
04-23-2001, 08:59 PM
I put Prolong in my truck a couple of years ago. While driving up the freeway doing about 65, the oil pressure went to 0. Since I didn't hear any unusual noises, I just drove home. When I got home, I smelled oil burning and saw smoke. I looked underneath the truck and oil was dripping from pretty much everywhere. It turns out something hit the oil filter punching a little hole in it.
I drove about 9 miles with basically no oil in the motor, no noise whatsoever and without any rise in engine temp.

ChetCapoli
04-24-2001, 03:46 AM
Thats an interesting story Cas42, are you still using that motor and if you are how many miles have you put on it since?
chet

phillyray
04-24-2001, 05:42 AM
For me I use the old stand-by S.T.P.it caries an added amount of Zinc,which in case metal to metal contact may occur when it shuld not,the added Zinc protects the metal.
just for giggles I tried Pro-Long ONCE....Hung a exhaust valve.I'll leave that product on the store shelf.

Cas42
04-24-2001, 07:33 AM
Chet,
The truck was a 1985 Chevy 1/2t 4x4 with about 130,000 miles on it when I added the Prolong. I put about 45,000 miles on it after that incident before selling it to my neighbor's brother 4 months ago. He uses it everyday to haul hay bails and feed from ranch to ranch putting about 30 miles a day on it. I might sound like that infomercial but I'll tell you what, I believe it works.
It's now in my new truck and boat.

77charger
04-24-2001, 06:50 PM
Jason try synthetic.But break in the motor first so that the rings can seat.Dont add anything til the motor rings are seated.

dcraig
04-25-2001, 01:00 PM
Don't use either. I had a problem with Prolong also. The motor spun bearings (main and cam). Duralube reduces the clearances in all the moving parts. Don't use it either.
Just run full synthetic

INFINITEJJ
04-25-2001, 04:07 PM
PROLONG IS THE GOOD STUFF!! SOME OF THE FUEL CARS USE IT AS AN ASSEMBLY LUBE. KENNY BERNSTIEN USES IT AND FORGOT TO ADD OIL TO HIS DRAGSTER ONCE AFTER DRAINING THE CONTAMINATED OIL AFTER A WARM UP. HE DID A FULL BURNOUT DURING ELIMINATIONS, BACKED UP, NOTICED HE HAD NO OIL PRESSURE, STAGED THE CAR. HE THEN TOOK THE GREEN LIGHT AND SHUT THE CAR DOWN, HOPING FOR THE OTHER GUY TO RED LIGHT. HE SAID THE ONLY THING THAT KEEP THE MOTOR RUNNING WAS THE PROLONG. IF ANYBODY KNOWS OF SOMETHING THAT CAN KEEP A FUEL MOTOR RUNNING FOR THAT LONG WITHOUT ANY OIL, I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT!!!! THIS INFO CAME FROM K.B. IN AN ARTICLE HE WROTE IN NATIONAL DRAGSTER MAGAZINE.

best1syn2oil
02-19-2002, 05:20 PM
Most oil "additives" or "treatments" contain chlorine extreme pressure compounds. Though they will do some things well in the short run, they appear to promote sludging in lab testing that we've done. Also the chlorine components are highly reactive with byproducts of combustion and can damage internal parts. They can and often will upset the additive chemistry in engine oils in undesirable ways. Check out the Federal Trade Commission web site for sanctions imposed for bogus advertising claims against virtually all of these companies...Duralube, Prolong, Slick 50...etc. Best bet is to use a premium synthetic..Amsoil, Mobil, Redline, and perhaps Castrol.

19Kona
02-19-2002, 07:30 PM
I am glad this came up, because I had the same question. Anyway I have been using synthetic in my 455 with no probs (so far). My 455 runs with the stock oil pump and no restrictors. I have always thought that the sythetic would make it to the bottom of the motor faster than the regular oil on high rpm runs. What do you guys think of valvoline - I need to do the first oil change in my 2002 yukon?

Costello
02-19-2002, 07:52 PM
I can tell you this about synthetics. On my 91 HD Electra Glide I was concerned with low idle oil pressure as anyone with an HD is/should be if they have a pressure gauge. On a hot day after getting heat in the engine I had 1 or 2psi max at the gauge. Your manuals will tell you this is "normal" I didn't like it. So against 95% of Harley dudes' advice, I switched to Mobil 1. under the same conditions, I was reading 5 or 6 psig. BIG difference. If I only would have been that smart 15 years ago when I burned up my first Shovelhead engine!! Synthetics are the way to go AFTER break in. As for additives, I know that in a Casale v-drive Prolong reduced operating temperature 8 degrees, so it's doing its' job reducing heat and friction. As for long term effects?????, Best1syn2oil sounds like he knows his stuff being in the industry and all.

JetboatJon454
02-19-2002, 09:52 PM
Lucas makes a great engine oil additive from my experience. My truck runs a lot smoother and quieter, I've heard many success stories.(not trying to make it sound like an info-mercial) My buddy used it in his 96 Z-28 that had a bit of a lifter tap and also used 20W-50 oil pressure went up, and engine is quiet now. Sounds interesting eh?

SB
02-20-2002, 07:52 AM
I don't know if they still do it, but a long time ago, dragsters use to put STP in and drain the oil before a run. Some of these additives contain teflon solids. Do not put a solid in your engine.

JETBOAT BRIAN
02-20-2002, 08:18 AM
Who's to say if the stuff works.....but is it not good cheap insurance if it does .I use Prolong in everything I own. My truck has 250k miles on it and still doesnt consume oil My blower 502 in my boat has almost 100 hrs on it with no problems ....Jim Wilkes swears by the stuff also!

RiverToysJas
02-20-2002, 08:55 AM
Very Cool!
I wrote that original question nearly a year ago and it's been found and solid opinions added. that very cool, thanks guys.
I still have not used any of the products but I'll reconsider it again before the season heats up.
RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

bakerman
02-20-2002, 06:55 PM
on this topic i use lucas additive with 20-50 castrol syntec blend! no problem's yet. knock on wood!is prolong any better then lucas? and how much better is full syn. vs blend is it a big anuff dif. for the price?

DEL51
02-21-2002, 12:48 AM
I think if choose a high quality ol and change it regularly, it will be better than relying on some magic formula. That Said,I have a new job in a power plant.Many of the large machines use high grade syntheic lubes in the gear boxes with 2 year oil change intervals.These are not the same enviroment as an engine but there are similarities,high heat being one.I was surprised to find them adding standard STP oil teatment to the oil.Asking why,I was told that as the oil ages the STP is added and a measurable amount of heat reduction occurs,10 to 15 degrees.I do not know what amount they add, but the gear boxes take 110 gallons of synthetic lube at $900.00 per barrel.

ROZ
02-21-2002, 01:14 AM
I don't konw if this stuff really works or not, but my pops swears by the stuff. Toyota p/u with over 400,000 on it. He used slick 50 then prolong. The engine still ran pretty good when the tranny went out. Though it may have lasted so long because he use to change the oil religously. every 2 months.

twistedpair
02-21-2002, 08:32 AM
Back when I sold auto parts we sold slick 50. We were told not to sell it for marine applications as boat motors ran too cool (Can't remember if it was a bonding issue or what). Slick 50 later came out with a seperate marine product. Don't know if this is an issue with Prolong or the others.